16 hours ago, TheTrueRussianPancake said:

Another issue is: Why does the To-201 lose so much energy on turn? Having the most aerodynamic body and the most powerful engines demonstrated by the acceleration why does this happen?

I noticed that it might be because it's 2x larger than most other jets in the game, I found that it loses all energy if you knife the plane and try to force it to turn by banking, wich makes it a less efficient dogfighter.

On the other hand I noted that it likes to turn in super fast speed when you use the rudder, bank it slightly and turn calmly instead of going full knife flight.

So AFAIK To-201 is better for fast attacks, instead of forcing it to turn and stall, I used it's speed to my advantage, (I found this out in dogfight server)
It handles way better in 1000km/h big turns than slow speed turning.

E: But don't take my word 100%, everything is subjected to change too

• Like 1

I would like to bring a few suggestions from the unofficial thread over here.

One of the things that make jet aircraft really stand out is the cockpit voice annunciator system. Or "Bitching betty". Currently the way ArmA works, it's not always obvious that you have taken a hit or significant damage. A bang from a missile or a hit from Anti Aircraft Artillery are usually very muffled and don't give the player the impression of taking damage. Therefore I suggest that the jet alerts the player to when an aircraft system has started malfunctioning.

While real jets may have individual warnings for each type of damage. Such as "Engine fault!", "ECS Failure", etc... you can get away with only a few "Tones/Chimes/beeps" that will do the job more than good enough in ArmA.

First of all, I like the new missile warning sound. It's nice, but I also think you could do brilliant stuff with the radar warning receiver system!

Right now, you get a warning when locked by radar/incoming missile, but a really handy feature is a "New Threat" sound. Once a new radar emission has been discovered, it should give a subtle hint "short beep" just to alert the player to look at his RWR display. That is usually how it works in real life and is called a "spike". A tracking radar will often give you several pulses with quick succession, this is known as "nails" and is a more serious warning. I think this is already implemented when a radar sensors "locks" a player with RWR. And the final stage is the missile tone. This indicates launch, which you already have implemented in the game.

Onto the more JETS DLC related topic, cockpit sounds!

First of all, the general work on sounds for jets is outstanding and I would never imagine such a fantastic replication of jet noise. Well done! Everything from the cockpit sound to the flyby's taxiing, engine spool up. I can't think of a better way to compliment you than saying I work with jets and your sounds give me the chills :)

However, I really think you should consider implementing a few tones to really flesh out the cockpit environment!

• Any transition from "white" to "yellow damage state" followed by a "Caution! Caution!" or chime that sounds once.
  • Any transition from "yellow" to "red damage state" followed by a "Warning! Warning!" or chime that sounds once.
  • A warning for low fuel that sounds under 10%
  • A warning for low chaff/flare that sounds when CM ammo is under 25%
  • A stall warning/beep when the speed indicator numbers usually shift to red text.This is hard to pick up in ArmA, even if it says "stall" in hud.
  • A warning for engine failure that sounds as long as aircraft has Airspeed>0, AGL>0 and engine is off.

Even though we have all heard that pilots are superior human beings and master the art of multi-tasking, they still need to be reminded to pay attention to dangerous situations. So those are my suggestions. 

There's obviously something missing when you get hit badly and jets start spinning uncontrollably, but cockpit is still dead silent.

I hope you find the time to add this before 16th of May :) It will greatly add to the overall Jets feeling.

As a final note, are you guys going to add sonic boom? :p Talking about the sound effect, not visuals :) Speed of sound is already modeled and very believable, but it would be amazing if there was a boom from supersonic jets :)

• Like 6

I've tried 10 min with the Black Wasp yesterday. so my feedback is just a first impression.

I've been into flight simulators recently ( DCS , BMS , FSX ) , I expected that basic flight controls would improve with this DLC but they are the same as ever (if they remain the same in the final release). 
You simply cant use all the throttle ... half is throttle , half is speedbrake.. which is something weird. 

The flight model feels almost the same as ever but I cant complain much of it , Arma 3 is not a flight simulator.

I use Track IR, pretty useless for infantry and groud vehicles but a must have for planes/helos , it would be nice to adjust Z axis when onboard. The default Z axis with Track IR means zoom+/- so you cant lean forward to read the cockpit without zooming. 

The last thing is , distance view is quite embarassing at 2000-3000 mt for jets that fly over the speed of sound... it will be nice the possibility to have a farther maximum distance ( 5000-7000 mt at least ) that can match less objects and details on the ground to mantain good fps. 

5 minutes ago, beppe_goodoldrebel said:

I use Track IR, pretty useless for infantry and groud vehicles

I'll never enter a building/town riddled with hostile infantry without my TrackIR on.

Can't imagine playing without it.

Cheers

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I'll never enter a building/town riddled with hostile infantry without my TrackIR on.

Can't imagine playing without it.

Cheers

Once you go TrackIR you never go back

mC7cTyN3.jpeg

• Like 3

@beppe remap the brake to a key or another axis. Then you have to map both throttle axis (increase/decrease) to analogue thrust, then you have full range (there is a tool tip when you hover over the analogue thrust keybinding). TrakcIR z axis can be bound to forward movement in the cockpit instead of zoom. I reckon u should take a closer look at the controls. Cheers.

1 hour ago, beppe_goodoldrebel said:

The last thing is , distance view is quite embarassing at 2000-3000 mt for jets that fly over the speed of sound... it will be nice the possibility to have a farther maximum distance ( 5000-7000 mt at least ) that can match less objects and details on the ground to mantain good fps. 

Max ingame viewdistance is 12k so the limit you are experiencing is because its restricted by the mission maker

6 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Max ingame viewdistance is 12k so the limit you are experiencing is because its restricted by the mission maker

It's actually 12k in the options window, using the setViewDistance script command makes it take any value, 50k no problem. Works great with the new setFeatureType command.

This way objects/vehicles/units can be seen within the set terrain view distance.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Unfortunately I don't think it's set by the mission maker - it may be from the optimisation Rehard mentions in this thread;-

Jets DLC - rendering distance limitations

Seems it can be over-ridden with the featureType 2 command for vehicles and object but haven't tested thoroughly

After ive launched from the carrier i still get the detach from catapult 1 in my command menu and the blast barrier stays up aswell. Fuck it im going back to practice landings :)

• Like 2

Nice work on the carrier, she looks grand. Really like the feature where you get pulled back by the wire after landing. Great work with the Autolanding for AI and inclusion of the ILS.  Found a few issues so far:

• Arrestor wires start before the model - land too early and you still stop even though there is nothing to hook onto.
  • Ambient birds fly though the deck.
  • You can fall between the gaps in the model parts. Main deck and side walkways.
  • Engagement range of CIWIS and AA too low - didn't engage any air targets until they were less than 2km away.
  • Flood lights don't light the deck at night. They just cast a beam.
  • Blast barriers don't drop after takeoff.
  • Detach from catapult action stays in the plane after takeoff.
  • Attachment point for the FA181 is too far forward, the front gear is about a metre or so in front of the attachment point.

Still really nice addition to the game especially for free.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flax said:

Nice work on the carrier, she looks grand. Really like the feature where you get pulled back by the wire after landing. Great work with the Autolanding for AI and inclusion of the ILS.  Found a few issues so far:

• Arrestor wires start before the model - land too early and you still stop even though there is nothing to hook onto.
  • Ambient birds fly though the deck.
  • You can fall between the gaps in the model parts. Main deck and side walkways.
  • Engagement range of CIWIS and AA too low - didn't engage any air targets until they were less than 2km away.
  • Flood lights don't light the deck at night. They just cast a beam.
  • Blast barriers don't drop after takeoff.
  • Detach from catapult action stays in the plane after takeoff.
  • Attachment point for the FA181 is too far forward, the front gear is about a metre or so in front of the attachment point.

Still really nice addition to the game especially for free.

Where exactly did you find a hole (or holes) in the model?  PM me with pictures plz.

Carrier looks great.

There are some bugs as expected:

Catapult #3 is misplaced. (Path leads to the right and not along the catapult line)

In Arma 3 Launcher server browser I am asked to Purchase DLC. (I have It)

You can fall through some stairs connecting catwalk to the starboard side of the carrier.

As snoops_213 already mentioned the blast barrier stays up making it a yolo landing. :)

I've also noticed in the editor  the weapon pylons on blackwasp  has become smaller and not all pylons show now. And i just noticed flying around in the blackwasp i get a reload amraam action in my menu. 

I can't seem to detach from the catapult, if i have launched from one, i cant attach to another one and launch again.

Some commendations are in order as well.

Landing on the carrier feels really satisfying!   Aww yiss!

Love the arrestor sound.

It is nice how the landing area shows on the map. Should carrier show on the radar as well?

32 minutes ago, saul said:

Where exactly did you find a hole (or holes) in the model?  PM me with pictures plz.

Sending now with some other stuff I found in the meantime. :)

Here's my report about the carrier:
- Blast deflectors stays active after launch.
- Launch /Attach / Detach Actions still remains in flight. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=910128700
- Launch action remains active after move to other catapult. (Just the animation, no action is executed, but if is attached again the action continues ) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=910124753
- The actions are duplicated several times in scroll menu after attach/detach http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=910123522
- "Hole" in main deck http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=910123610
- There's no "surface" for  object placement in turrets designated areas, left and back side of the carrier. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=910146933 

• Like 2

Remember, make feedback tickets so that the team can actually track problems

Can confirm the catapult issues, haven't had the problem with the deck

Perhaps the catapult goes to speed far too quickly, I suspect the pilot would be literally glued to the seat after that, isn't EMALS supposed to be more gradual?

also, the HUD runway is at 0 ASL instead of deck height

I alslo now cannot "scroll" the pylon menu for any aircraft

Havn't noticed this before trying on the carrier:

Leading edge flaps on F/A-181 having a serious seizure. Almost contagious...

Edit: They were spazzing out at a much higer rate, apparently in sync with the FPS. So while it hardly seems like they are "spazzing" in the video, they are actually moving hysterically fast on my end :)

Edit 2: Watch in 60fps then you see :)

Oh, and managed to capture it at the exact moment an AI landed in the arresting cables :)

Cheers!

Some bugs I've noticed:

• The CIWS (Praetorian 1C) doesn't make a firing sound
  • The CIWS shells seem to be explosive but they don't make a visual splash.
  • In some rare cases the missiles fired by the AA turrets impact the ship, it's usually when facing low flying aircraft at odd angles, I suggest having a minimum cookoff time/minimum flight range before the warhead becomes active. (Similar to grenade launchers), so that turrets won't accidentally blow themselves up.
  • The radar sensors of the Mk49 Spartan, the Praetorian 1C are fixed and don't follow the turret's rotation. (The Mk21 Centurion is fine though)
  • When trying to place units on the ship(via 3D editor), many surfaces on the ship(some sections of the runway and most turret spots) aren't recognized as surfaces (there's no cyan circle when hovering the cursor over them), so upon clicking, the unit spawns on the sea-bed. Although they do snap when you manually change their elevation via alt.

Also, some feedback about the CIWS:

Assuming that it's based on the real life Phalanx, it should fire at a much higher ROF, and fire AP (non-explosive) rounds.

Only the land version(C-RAM) fires explosive/incendiary shells.

Also, I think red tracers would look more awesome than white tracers (though white tracers might be more realistic for a naval CIWS, red ones are only on the C-RAM)

• Like 1

Let's start with the JAS since thats the one I'm most interested in and only really like in the game.
The external fuel tank is non removable for some reason, this should be removable and instead be traded out for bombs or missiles. 
The JAS39 in the game is too slow, having a hard time catching up to the other jets which is quite ridiculous since the JAS39 like all the other jets are able to go mach 2, in the game the jas goes up to about 900kmh whilst the other ones are easily going 1300km/h. 
The Main cannon of the JAS 39 in the game is a 20mm cannon however in real life it is a 27mm Mauser cannon, Just a small notice.

I find the lack of armament choices disturbing, The outer underwing pylons should be able to house at least double missile racks or double bomb racks as seen in images both irl and concept art by SAAB. 

Spoiler

AIR_JAS-39IN_Strike_Concept_lg.jpg

Also there's a large lack in available weaponry such as Rocketpods and since we have an aircraft carrier now and nothing to fight it with, maybe even anti ship missiles and clusterbombs.
https://www.soldf.com/jas39gripen.html <-- Here you can find a picture where different types of armaments are displayed for the JAS 39.

Hope this made somewhat of a difference.

Regards,

Lonewold

• Like 1

I'd like to take a moment and draw some attention to one of the more minor additions Jets is bringing us, namely the deck crew for the Freedom.  The colors for most of the vests are just...off, and by a fair amount.  To start, the ordnance crew who wear red are practically orange, just look at it compared to the Marshal cap:

Spoiler

Mw9IbjS.png?1Ordnance_elevator.jpg

Following that, we have the aircraft handlers who wear brown.  Only it rather resembles a muddy yellow to my eye:

Spoiler

xg0uWmN.png?1FD_CVW-5_plane_captains_CV-63_06Dec2005.

While the color used on the green vest would be fine for a shirt worn under it, the vest itself is extremely bright:

Spoiler

I0NSS0q.png?1Greenshirts2.JPG

Blues are a tad bright, but since there aren't any tractors or functioning elevators, I wouldn't say they're a super high priority rework.

Spoiler

kbwr109.png?1Blueshirts.jpg

And if this post wasn't long enough already, I'd like to plead with anyone who may be listening that we get a set of matching uniforms for each vest.  Kerry's worn fatigues fit rather perfectly with the new vest model and a few retextured shirts would go a long way to making the flight deck of the Freedom be a bit more immersive.

• Like 2

Mk21 Centurion's normal map (_nohq) looks like it needs the green channel inverting to flip the Y swizzle.

Convex edges like the illumination radar(?) modules on top and the hand-screws, currently have concave shading.