Just have tested the newly on Dev Branch released Aircraft Carrier and noticed a few BIG flaws I'll be listing here:

- There is no "Hangar" inside the Ship, and the Big Elevators for the Aircrafts are not functional at all (I'd think if the guys that made the Nimiz Mod could make that work Bohemia Should be able to do it too). A big problem (specially with these "missing" features in my oppinion is that if the Creator of the Nimiz Mod wille be continue woking on his mod the USS Freedom will become relative obsolete.

- The interior life of the bridge is very sporadic, since only the entrance is accessible (also functional PIP displays for the Weapons systems ect. would be nice too, as well as a working onboard radar).

- The starting on the launch catapults is not correctly aligned with the optical launch catapults.

- Furthermore, it happened to me a few times that I have fallen off the flight deck after successful landing (Normally one is then again full gas, so you do not fall into the water just in case you have not caught the brake cables).

Other wishes for the Jets DLC:
- A towing tractor to move the planes around the carrier (might be includet in Orange DLC as we were told that vehicles are added with Orange DLC) would be nice. Another important "feature" would be better turning on the nose wheel of the Carrier based aircrafts (Black Wasp, Sentinal).
- working rearm, repair, and refuel points aboard the carrier.

Despite my change / improvement ideas I know that the aircraft carrier is not yet finished.

All in all I think Bohemia and B01 did a great job with the Carrier, the Jets and the Platform update.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mooopz said:

Just have tested the newly on Dev Branch released Aircraft Carrier and noticed a few BIG flaws I'll be listing here:

- There is no "Hangar" inside the Ship, and the Big Elevators for the Aircrafts are not functional at all (I'd think if the guys that made the Nimiz Mod could make that work Bohemia Should be able to do it too). A big problem (specially with these "missing" features in my oppinion is that if the Creator of the Nimiz Mod wille be continue woking on his mod the USS Freedom will become relative obsolete.

- The interior life of the bridge is very sporadic, since only the entrance is accessible (also functional PIP displays for the Weapons systems ect. would be nice too, as well as a working onboard radar).

They already said they're not going to add hangars or interiors to the carrier (besides the small interior which should work fine for briefings etc), so don't get your hopes up. Use the Nimitz mod if you want more advanced functionality.

1 minute ago, nmdanny said:

They already said they're not going to add hangars or interiors to the carrier (besides the small interior which should work fine for briefings etc), so don't get your hopes up. Use the Nimitz mod if you want more advanced functionality.

Can you tell me where they said they would not add these?

More feedback: It would be incredibly helpful if there were a function to have the wings on the wasp and sentinel folded in the attributes menu

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mooopz said:

This is free DLC, most of the functions sound like they would be in their own pay for DLC.

Is anyone else having an issue with the carrier catapults not working? I align with it, select "attach to catapult", the put throttle to full, then press " launch from catapult 3", but it's as if i am just released from the catapult and the plane attempts to take off normally...Meaning not enough speed and a plunge into the ocean. The catapult won't actually launch me for some reason.

4 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

Is anyone else having an issue with the carrier catapults not working? I align with it, select "attach to catapult", the put throttle to full, then press " launch from catapult 3", but it's as if i am just released from the catapult and the plane attempts to take off normally...Meaning not enough speed and a plunge into the ocean. The catapult won't actually launch me for some reason.

You have to hold it down during launch.

Just now, Nightmare515 said:

You have to hold it down during launch.

Hold what down? The "launch" button?

5 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

You have to hold down spacebar for the launch to work - pressing it seems to release the aircraft from the catapult.

4 minutes ago, Flax said:

You have to hold down spacebar for the launch to work - pressing it seems to release the aircraft from the catapult.

As Flax said. Also make sure your throttle is 100%

10 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

When you attach yourself you should see a prompt that states "Hold space to launch from catapult X"  When you do you will see a ticker start to fill up, when its full release the key and you will be slung.

18 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

Yeah I had the same problem. Somehow it fixed itself magically after a restart.

Some other problems which occured to me:

When I spawned the F18, often the backside would glitch through the bottom, rendering the plane undriveable. Additionally the launch catapult shields would not retract in multiplayer (haven't tested it in singleplayer) after a takeoff. This happened on every map and even after multiple restarts. Does anyone else experience those problems?

1 hour ago, mooopz said:

Can you tell me where they said they would not add these?

1 hour ago, rioD said:

When I spawned the F18, often the backside would glitch through the bottom, rendering the plane undriveable. 

I've had that issue also.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

I've had that issue also.

Yes it appears we accidentally ordered the "Low rider" configuration for our landing gear, we will be contacting the manufacturer shortly.  

• Like 10

If possible maybe an invisible landing strip can be added ? This object , just like the invisible airfield,  needed for AI to land the plane anywhere.

And maybe it would be a good time to fix the airfields on Altis as AI do not recognize them as such. 

The airfields in question are:

1) Military base near Selekano.

2) Small airstrip north of Abdera, east of Aristi (that one is too short for even the Caesar BTT to take off although new jets can still do it, perhaps the terrain can be altered a bit to extend it).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ivanoff.N said:

If possible maybe an invisible landing strip can be added ? This object , just like the invisible airfield,  needed for AI to land the plane anywhere.

It already has one, and the Auto Pilot landing can use it.

But I'm not sure if it has an ID that the AI can use through scripting.

1 minute ago, tuskin38 said:

It already has one. The Auto Pilot landing can use it.

What has one ?

1 minute ago, Ivanoff.N said:

What has one ?

I forgot what thread I was in sorry, I thought I was still in the carrier thread.

However, the carrier does act like a mobile air strip. I'm sure BI could probably make an invisible strip like you suggest.

AI when using Mk82 unguided bombs tend to release them too early, which makes the bombs fall about 200-250m short of target. 

From my testing thus far, it's a good start. I'm not going to go into most of the problems I've had with the Black Wasp and other jets as most have been well documented in previous posts. That said, the carrier is a bit buggy right now...

1. Black Wasp

a. rear gear sink into carrier deck

b. front gear needs better turning radius to be usable on carrier deck. 

c. HUD adjustments as mentioned earlier to include weapon selection

d. sort laser marker option before GBU

f. When set to respawn on carrier, aircraft respawns with no landing gear and engine on. 

g. Glitchy wing slats when not moving. 

2. Launch catapults are unrealistic. The Ford class carriers will use an electromagnetic system in lieu of a conventional steam driven catapult resulting in more gentle acceleration during launches and thus reducing wear on air frames. The current in game launch system you are catapulted from 0 to 360kmh in a fraction of a second. Please nerf. :P The speed of the aircraft upon leaving the deck should also be dependent on how much munitions the aircraft is carrying and the aircraft type/weight/etc. 

3. Jerkiness of the arresting cable system. It just looks derpy as hell. Please fix. 

4. Arresting cables do not move as they should and the arresting system seems to have a larger "hitbox" than it should. I don't think a UCAV is supposed to stop before the first cable. Also note the derpy deceleration. In real life, arresting cables are adjusted for the weight and type of aircraft that is landing to provide a relatively smooth deceleration. 

5. Blast shields staying up after launch. 

6. As far as ambiance goes even having a yellow shirt spawn to signal the launch such as with the Nimitz carrier would provide a more realistic experience. 

7. When UCAV is set to respawn on carrier, it flies off as if it were spawned mid air. 

Would a dev care to elaborate on the apparent decision not to include a second deck "hangar" and elevator/bridge functionality? I really think this is a missed opportunity. Without these functions the Nimitz is looking like a more viable option. If Bohemia elects not to expand the carriers capability I hope it will be possible for 3rd party developers to use the Freedom as a model to expand upon with additional functionality. 

• Like 1

How do I place an airplane or helicopter with fold wings or rotor blades in the editor? Thank for answer.

2 hours ago, DaveVI said:

How do I place an airplane or helicopter with fold wings or rotor blades in the editor? Thank for answer.

this animate ["wing_fold_l", 1];
this animate ["wing_fold_r", 1];

• Like 1

Found a few bugs on the USS Freedom:

1. Basicly all ladders beside the one on the Tower are bugged with the climbing animation (would sugest to check all ladders):

2. Also found a hole in the flight deck, I do not know if there are more of these, bu I think they should be fixed: