Nope, same objects (wooden electric poles, dock ties, all road signs, most vehicles exteriors, all interiors, etc) still have them...and city lamps are now stencil shadowed instead of soft (least I could swear they used to use the new method)

I also have a feeling that BI is going to stick with the current all infantry and vehicle seeing flir..sad, could be used for so much more since it's used on near all vehicles now, and it could be not so much of a win filter.

Edited by NodUnit

Except we can't fix either of these. FLIR comes down to hard coded shaders, doesn't matter what we do, if it still acts the same HDR did with Arma 2 then thats that.

Shadows require opening the pbo's and most likely it comes down to something in the shadow LOD itself..again, not doable.

PIP screen change? Gotta open the model for that, at best you could create a dialogue in the config but that is still going to require the whole air_ pbo and is a bit shifty in the grey area.

The shadow bit boggles my mind, it was assigned on the tracker, now it's acknowledged.

The new shadows in came into the game in Alpha and saw extensive updating, house structures had it from day 1 and soon after certain vehicles had it in third person such as the offroad and H-9's, yet other vehicles still have stencil shadows, signs, light poles and electrical poles still use stencil shadows and any vehicles that have the new shadow turn stencil when you go into first person, none of it makes any sense.

The biggest "whaaaat?" I have is the knowledge that stencil shadows drain CPU and higher setting run on the GPU, this has been established since Arma 1 and cemented in Arma 2, so why are stencil shadows being forced when it is common knowledge that they drain resources from the most taxed component?

Edited by NodUnit

Yeah, the only reasons I keep bringin that up is because a)performance and b) Inconsistency in the game shadows, so I wanted to know if they're switching all over to one way or another or keeping that way.

Thats not too much to ask considering that is how it was in the previous Arma games, which drew a bit of weighing on what shadow type to use because they were much MUCH more blurry at first, leading to a desire to use low stencil shadows in urban areas and high in woodlandy. It got better in arrowhead and what we have now might have its flaws but is still very far ahead of its predecessors.

Has anyone noticed that the game seem to have also gone back to applying a global darkening thing? Set yourself up at 4am and total overcast, and notice that you can barely see your watch, or compass, or gun light.

When being in first person, there are no lens flares but just bloom. Only when you look at the scene from third person, which doesn't simulate a human eye obviously, there's a lens flare effect :)

When being in first person, there are no lens flares but just bloom. Only when you look at the scene from third person, which doesn't simulate a human eye obviously, there's a lens flare effect :)

I have to apologize for my ignorance, i honestly haven´t noticed this but i´m actually hugely impressed this small feature has had some thought gone into it which in turn gives me an even more comforting image that Arma 3 is in good hands :)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif (287 kB)

My lovely topic :

After :

22-08-2013

EXE rev. 09399

Size: ~275 MB

• Known issue: addWeapon is broken :mad:

• Added: new scripting command unlinkItem

• Fixed blinking SSAO

• Soldier can't use UAV terminal of different side (there is going to be another system of stealing UAVs post-RC)

• Changed score when UAV unit is controlled by players

• Current state of rain enabled

• Removed multiple cases of being stuck because of failed attempt to change stance / select weapon

• Fix of shadow volume instancing

• Helicopter pilots and UAV Operators have their NVGs back

• Hints for using rotor-wings have been adjusted according to current controls

• Sounds of various vehicles have been adjusted (Offroad, Zamak, HEMTT and Hunter)

• Fixed: SeaWall no longer shows up on the map

• Menu colors changed to release skinning

• RPG-42 is now able to hit correctly targets in the distance again

Last edited by DnA; Today at 10:45.

Result : Sun + rain on full :

More distance = big rainbow

Less distance = little rainbow

wwiq.th.jpg

But : up of camera : Rainbow UP^^

wh4n.th.jpg

When we zoom on the rainbow, ok why not.

jgsv.th.jpg

jgsv.th.jpg

Zoom more : a circle of Rainbow

m419.th.jpg

With different angle, we can have a full circle

53k0.th.jpg

In addition, with the patch, in the night : i can view the old filter of rain, in chopper AH 99 , it's strange or/and boring when we flight without NGV google (at this time, wind can't affect rain and the filter have always the same direction). We can disable rain effect with only the NVG Google... damned. (actually^^)

qdts.th.jpg

Oooooooo !!! : Stars under the chopper :

More than 2km i have stars from the sky on the ground, hum ??? If more than 2 km, we have only stars on the ground.

ndyg.th.jpg

gats.th.jpg

PS : I'm not a judge : if a guy want to open a ticket in the feedback tracker if he think than theses little problems would necessary to be resolved. Thank

Edited by GranolaBar

in real life, rainbow position is always relative to the observer and always at the same angle around your eyes (42 degrees). Also, the rainbow is always exactly opposite to the sun. So if you move the position of the camera, the rainbow will indeed seem to move with it. Also, it is possible to see comple circle rainbow when you are in an airplane.

So that being said, zooming should not affect the rainbow at all.

I have to apologize for my ignorance, i honestly haven´t noticed this but i´m actually hugely impressed this small feature has had some thought gone into it which in turn gives me an even more comforting image that Arma 3 is in good hands :)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif (287 kB)

It's been that way since Arma... 1? Perhaps even flashpoint? Neat feature, I agree!

Posted this in Development branch discussion, thought I'd post this here since it somehow related to lighting changes.

Stable build.

thumb.png

thumb.png

Dev build.

thumb.png

thumb.png

Should I report this? It happened right after update that included new light shafts and other visual features, I guess.

Also, those lights in dev build flicker a bit. Command I used to hide car - deletecollection.

Wow, they somehow ruined the glare from the headlights. Given how dark the surrounding environment is, those headlights should be blinding. The stable set of screenshots is much closer to how it should look.

The lighting n the ground while flying aircraft is much better than before but could still use more work! :)

It would be nice to see the clouds above a city be lit up a bit more than clouds farther away and potentially have the area below this a bit more lit up as a result of the cities light reflecting off the clouds.

While playing around with cloud particles (my own) I noted that, during good weather, the cloud particles looked quite white, but when overcast, they went almost black. Same time of day, just an overcast change.

So the collision lights on aircraft and the runway lights are not actually lights just some emissive texture or something. The problem is that the brightness (size?) of those are relative to ambient lighting.

Around 7PM, still quite bright:

ReFTtHD.jpg

The "spheres" are way too large and visible.

Around midnight, no moonlight:

loJX3bO.jpg

Spheres are very small, almost invisible on the heli. An NVFR approach is not really possible.

Around midnight, full moon:

dD8D8DR.jpg

Spheres are mostly the right size.

IMO this effect should be reversed (brighter scene = less visible light spheres) if it's possible while not breaking NVGs.

One thing that is love to see taken care of is that hills should be casting shadows on the objects in their shady side. Bright bushes and illuminated soldiers make tsrgeting easier and does affect game play. The sexy sun rays dont go through hills so there must be hope.

One thing that is love to see taken care of is that hills should be casting shadows on the objects in their shady side. Bright bushes and illuminated soldiers make tsrgeting easier and does affect game play. The sexy sun rays dont go through hills so there must be hope.

Terrain not casting shadows on objects is so annoying for me. Wonder how hard it is to implement them.

If you will look closely you will notice that grass is correctly affected by the ground's shadow. And since grass is a 3D object just like any other bush or tree or rock - same should be applied to them.

Also BIS please bring colored cloud lighting back.