Maybe because this engine compromises huge terrains and already has performance issues, with release fast aproaching? ARMA3 is not your average, tiny map game. Once there is time and resources to implement this feature it will (probably) be done. Right now there are other priorities, some major issues to be adressed!

:

I think that HKFlash explained reasonably, thanks

Hi, the light in interior is possible, what type car do you think ?

I was thinking mainly low level lights in the APCs.

Maybe because this engine compromises huge terrains and already has performance issues, with release fast aproaching? ARMA3 is not your average, tiny map game. Once there is time and resources to implement this feature it will (probably) be done. Right now there are other priorities, some major issues to be adressed!

Good god! Why are people always demanding stuff without thinking about the consequences? :rolleyes:

about which conséquences ?

why the dynamic light was put on, even that consumes resource see even more than the shadows Dynamics, because you can limit Dynamics shadows for exemple to 200 m !

why the dynamic light was put on, even that consumes resource see even more than the shadows Dynamics, because you can limit Dynamics shadows for exemple to 200 m !

Let us agree to disagree. Mr. Pavel came here to the forums to "listen" to our feedback regarding lightning. Let's do that in a mature and constructive manner, just don't ask him for heaven and earth.

I was thinking mainly low level lights in the APCs.

Yeah I understand, I like your idea, but I don't make models of vehicles. Maybe in some update will be this change included. (For your models use property dayLight = true; in model config )

A dynamic light simply lights all nearby surfaces according to it's orientation to the light (and can be hardware accelerated). Dynamic shadows for those lights require a LOT more processing per light. Limiting the effect to 200m will have an odd effect for example when a vehicle with headlights is moving about at the 200m cutoff distance, suddenly new objects will be illuminated/not illuminated.

I mean, it'd be nice, and I'd like it to be in, but it does require a new lighting engine.

i think, arma 3's graphics, are already on 2013 state. When Altist comes out, i think you will forget about dyn lights for a bit, and perhaps understand, why it is not yet in arma 3. Thats doesn't i don't want it to be there, that would be false, but i do understand, the reason it's not there. Maybe later. As DEVs said, the DLC's they will bring, will be most likely game engine updates, and not content updates? So maybe with future DLC we see a lot good stuff for arma 3.

In 2013 dynami shadows is an important feature

Is it a limitation of the engine and can't be added or it affects too much performance ?

Could we at least have an option to turn it on or off based on each one CPU/GPU resources ?

Edited by Sam75

A dynamic light simply lights all nearby surfaces according to it's orientation to the light (and can be hardware accelerated). Dynamic shadows for those lights require a LOT more processing per light. Limiting the effect to 200m will have an odd effect for example when a vehicle with headlights is moving about at the 200m cutoff distance, suddenly new objects will be illuminated/not illuminated.

I mean, it'd be nice, and I'd like it to be in, but it does require a new lighting engine.

I agree with you, but why 200 m shadow does not bother anyone while 200 m dynamic shadow bother ?!

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

i think, arma 3's graphics, are already on 2013 state. When Altist comes out, i think you will forget about dyn lights for a bit, and perhaps understand, why it is not yet in arma 3. Thats doesn't i don't want it to be there, that would be false, but i do understand, the reason it's not there. Maybe later. As DEVs said, the DLC's they will bring, will be most likely game engine updates, and not content updates? So maybe with future DLC we see a lot good stuff for arma 3.

I really hope

Lighting looks nice indeed. I hope that it is possible to include in the future dynamic shadows. What I would like to see is more air particles like dust particles being iluminated by light source for example when you're passing on foot through the forest and sun rays is illuminating them. That would look nice and somewhat feels more environment-immersive.

Edited by fragmachine

Lighting looks nice indeed. I hope that it is possible to include in the future dynamic shadows. What I would like to see is more air particles like dust particles being iluminated by light source for example when you're passing on foot through the forest and sun rays is illuminating them. That would look nice and somewhat feels more environment-immersive.

thats a dream :)

Yeah I understand, I like your idea, but I don't make models of vehicles. Maybe in some update will be this change included. (For your models use property dayLight = true; in model config )

When the Ghosthawk first appeared on the game (for us, mere gamers) it had a nice cockpit light when lights were turned on. If something like that could go for the cargo spaces on vehicles as others mentioned it would be something else.

Hi, I change size the sun, thanks for feedback :)

It appears to be a lot smaller? Not so sure how I feel about it :butbut:

It appears to be a lot smaller? Not so sure how I feel about it :butbut:

???

He posted that after today's dev branch update was released, so I doubt the change made it in yet.

EDIT: On the other hand, the sun really does look kind of small...

Scratch that, on the horizon it looks unchanged to me.

Edited by MadDogX

???

He posted that after today's dev branch update was released, so I doubt the change made it in yet.

Then why ask for feedback if it wasn't in today's release? And also, posting it after the dev branch was updated doesn't mean the code wasn't in the update. He could've told us a week from now, it still would have gone in today.

Check it at sunset, it's definitely a lot smaller :(

It's a good idea, I'd like to see interior lights light in the big transport helos (a red light), and in the apc's.

Depends on the strength and falloff value, if the light doesn't fade enough once it meets the edges of the helicopter then the light will essentially bleed through and illuminate around it as well which..not so good.

The shadow radius idea is a nice compromise, similar to what we have with shadow distance now, at the lowest it would be off and you as the user could decide how much strain your system can handle to take it.

Another tradeoff could be just like dynamic lights, X number of lights casting shadows in radius OR through config, only certain ones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkEDFQmaooM for example in the final level in Crysis, the aircraft carrier had maaany lights on the exterior. Most of them however were there for lighting itself, the only ones that cast shadows are the ones above the doorway to the tower.

Edited by NodUnit

???

EDIT: On the other hand, the sun really does look kind of small...

Scratch that, on the horizon it looks unchanged to me.

Just saw your edit MadDog. I was looking through my screenshots folder for Arma 3 and found out conveniently I have a screenshot from a much older build, dated June 18th. Let's see if the size of the sun changed :) (even though a developer said it did, not sure why we'd doubt him.)

June 18th build:

http://imageshack.com/a/img266/6783/vd0o.png

August 6th build:

http://imageshack.com/a/img153/2833/iwm.png

Yep. Definitely smaller. The developer wasn't lying! lol I tried my very best to replicate location and time of day. It's close, within a minute of each other I'd say. Also replicated cloud overcast and all graphical settings are the same.

Just saw your edit MadDog. I was looking through my screenshots folder for Arma 3 and found out conveniently I have a screenshot from a much older build, dated June 18th. Let's see if the size of the sun changed :) (even though a developer said it did, not sure why we'd doubt him.)

June 18th build:

http://imageshack.com/a/img266/6783/vd0o.png

August 6th build:

http://imageshack.com/a/img153/2833/iwm.png

Yep. Definitely smaller. The developer wasn't lying! lol I tried my very best to replicate location and time of day. It's close, within a minute of each other I'd say. Also replicated cloud overcast and all graphical settings are the same.

Looking at the FOV that appears to be the correct width. It certainly doesn't look as "stunning"... but then this is a simulator, and I certainly wouldn't want a planetside Sun in the sky. Still... the old sunrise/sunset was pretty beautiful.

gah, I can't make up my mind! XD

Old or new Sun same problem :)

With angle of light in the game, you can cut the effect of sun, light or other... see it on my topic in my signature.

Can we imagine to have submarine base in Arma ? ^^:cool:

Old or new Sun same problem :)

With angle of light in the game, you can cut the effect of sun, light or other... see it on my topic in my signature.

I'm sorry I don't understand what is a problem. Please attach screenshot. Thanks a lot

Check these: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?157364-Alpha-gt-Beta-LIGHTING-of-Vehicules-Not-finished&p=2421040&viewfull=1#post2421040

At some angles, there isn't a "bloom" or whatever effect applied to headlights, just plain white.

I take screenshot tonight or tomorrow for all the problems who were already here. Not dramatic problems, but here^^, if we have not finished lighting of the first vehicule, why to have another who work^^

And with angle, test on normal hunter, you have the effect of headlight all the time, all the angle, on the ifrit or other hunter, or other, the light was cut with angle, why not, but why the only hunter?^^

For sun it's the same.