Damn that looks really nice. I never actually got around to trying ACE in Arma 2.

Go download that right now.

Even if its only to learn the mortars.

The artillery system in ACE mod is just amazing and challenging enough to allow Artillery to be used in TVT and PVP online missions and not be cheap.

Requires skill and the will to learn.

Bullet Purveyor: I'm pretty sure subsonic ammo was possible before. There were some limitations. Now there is one less :)

About the first focal plane discussion: A very large majority of military scopes are fixed zoom, usually x10. Variable zoom is VERY VERY rare for military use. On the civilian market it's the opposite though. It's very common there. Why am I saying this? Maybe just to say I don't consider it a high priority, but I would not complain if it was actually implemented of course.

Maybe 10-15 years ago but not anymore.

The m110 = 3.5-10x variable scope

m24a2 , m24a3 = Leupold Mk 4 M1LR/T 8.5–25×50mm Variable Power

m40a4 = Schmidt and Bender Police Marksman II LP 3-12x50 modified

m107 = Leupold 4.5–14×50 Mark 4 scope

mk12 spr = 3.5–10×40 mm Leupold LR M3

There is not a single precision rifle in use in the military that I can think of that uses a fixed power scope anymore.

The military's reluctance to use variables due to durability have all but been eliminated, New production Variables are almost as durable as fixed power glass.

Edited by gibonez

Maybe 10-15 years ago but not anymore.

The m110 = 3.5-10x variable scope

m24a2 , m24a3 = Leupold Mk 4 M1LR/T 8.5–25×50mm Variable Power

m40a4 = Schmidt and Bender Police Marksman II LP 3-12x50 modified

m107 = Leupold 4.5–14×50 Mark 4 scope

mk12 spr = 3.5–10×40 mm Leupold LR M3

There is not a single precision rifle in use in the military that I can think of that uses a fixed power scope anymore.

The military's reluctance to use variables due to durability have all but been eliminated, New production Variables are almost as durable as fixed power glass.

I was gonna post something much along the same lines as this. I think the French Army is about the only western military that I can think of that seems to currently still be favouring fixed-magnification scopes, such as the SCROME J8 and J10. But their colleagues in the Air Force and Special Forces have already moved on to variable magnification Nightforce scopes.

The shift to variable magnification optics when it comes to the longer range rifles in .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua Mag that are superseding the older 7.62 weapons as standard issue sniper rifles is particularly apparent. The M2010 has a Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20×50mm E/RT, the Mk13 MOD 5/6 has a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22×50mm, the Mk21 PSR has a Schmidt & Bender 5-25×56mm scope and variants of the same scope is used on L115A3/A4 in British service, Finskyttegevær M/04 (TRG-42) in Danish service as well as .338 calibre AI and SAKO rifles in service in various other places

Edited by da12thMonkey

Yup , every modern military are using First Focal Plane scopes with Variable zoom

fixed zoom and the second focal plane scopes are now considered as retro

Point taken guys. :)

Guess I have been living in the past.

What you guys think... bullet in chamber accounting will be added too? And i still would love different reload modes( Tactical, dry, quick/speed with dropping the mag on the ground) and speeds based on stance, stamina, etc.
I know I'm repeating myself, but every modder I've discussed this with said it won't happen with this engine, because of how animations and weapons are handled by the game.

Yay!

Press "R" for quick reload, dropping mag on the ground, and press CTRL+R for tactical reload? Sounds awesome.

bullet in chamber accounting

I know I'm repeating myself, but every modder I've discussed this with said it won't happen with this engine, because of how animations and weapons are handled by the game.

Probably the same reason that shotguns were canned. Engine can't handle individual reloading of shells either.

Probably the same reason that shotguns were canned. Engine can't handle individual reloading of shells either.

Shut guns can happen, it doesn't have to be that kind of shotgun. USAS? Siaga? DAO-12? AK-12 shotgun Conversion? All of those are magazine fed... Well, ok maybe not the DAO. But as BIS stated, it's far from priority over other guns they're working on. As CQB does happen in Arma, ranged engagements are more of a priority.

I got this error when virtual arsenal was meant to appear (using ["Open",true] SPAWN BIS_fnc_arsenal; ):

19:00:10 Error in expression <then {_value = log _value;};
if (_value != log 0) then {
private ["_valueMax","_>
19:00:10   Error position: <!= log 0) then {
private ["_valueMax","_>
19:00:10   Error !=: Type , expected Number,String,Object,Side,Group,Text,Config entry,Display (dialog),Control,Network Object,Team member,Task,Location
19:00:10 File A3\functions_f\Configs\fn_configExtremes.sqf, line 84

As result the game stucked in load screen that come before the arsenal opens.

I got this error when virtual arsenal was meant to appear (using ["Open",true] SPAWN BIS_fnc_arsenal; ):

19:00:10 Error in expression <then {_value = log _value;};
if (_value != log 0) then {
private ["_valueMax","_>
19:00:10   Error position: <!= log 0) then {
private ["_valueMax","_>
19:00:10   Error !=: Type , expected Number,String,Object,Side,Group,Text,Config entry,Display (dialog),Control,Network Object,Team member,Task,Location
19:00:10 File A3\functions_f\Configs\fn_configExtremes.sqf, line 84

As result the game stucked in load screen that come before the arsenal opens.

I think they already know about this issue.

Ah, failed to see the posts. But yes also some my own scripts are giving the strange error now. Will wait for the next dev-build.

Edit: Looks like new dev-build just arrived. :)

Edited by SaOk

• Changed: Re-generated general macros for cfgVehicles.

Suppose this is as good a time as any to ask:

What is the _generalMacro parameter for exactly?

I see it pop up towards the top of a lot of classes using a value with the same name as the classname, but I'm really none the wiser as to what it's does or whether I need it. AFAIK the parameter isn't present in the sample configs supplied with tools (so no annotation like a lot of the parameters have) and it's not present on the biki either.

I assume it's to provide a text string of the object's classname somewhere in the game?

Tweaked: AAF vests visually tweaked

I hope this kind of thing eventually extends to NATO and CSAT uniforms and gear. Frankly their textures looks pretty low quality next to the AAF. I guess it's because they were among the first things made for the game, probably about 4-5 years ago or maybe earlier.

Have the AI got bit worse lately? Enemy soldiers (patrolling with easy behaviour) dont seem to react much when they get hit, unless they have spotted the shooter. Would expect them running for cover more quickly. Or does some AI skills affect that (general or commanding).

This was posted in WLA bug report thread in workshop:

The enemy ground troops don't appear to be attacking me anymore. The vehicles though, do?

When I shoot at an enemy, he will casually walk around as if in "safe" mode. Ideas?

EDIT: It appears to be ranged based, as in if I enclose on a group of enemies and engage them, they will not react unles they see me. Not even seeking for cover?

EDIT 2: I'm assuming it has soemthing to do with the skill, testing it out now and seeing what the most optimal settings are or if it is only limited to WLA.

EDIT 3: Managed to take out a squad of 8 by myself (not in Whole Lotta Altis, just spawned in some guys) with a normal gun just hiding behind a rock, they didn't even try to persue or look for me and hardly reacted when I fired upon them. Did the AI break in main game? They used to scramble before? I should note that the skill is full for the units.

Occasionally I noticed however, that they would spin around looking for me, once one spots me they all start firing as expected but, they still don't move at all.

I know the AI is smarter, maybe they recognise I am 1 person and not a squad therefore, don't go fleeing for cover when I fire upon them. Going to test more because this is really bothering me.

Hi Devs,

Two issues I am having with 1.39.129316 -

1. I use trackIR for head movement, but I lost mouse control of my direction of movement. I reverted back to release, mouse worked. Switched back to Dev branch, verified files, still no mouse. Deleted my profile and rebuilt, mouse worked fine, but "adjust" setting was not accessible via the UI - I had to set the key manually be editing my new profile.

2. When exiting ARMA3, I'm getting an "ARMA3 has stopped working" dialog box.

Not sure if these should be reported or are "one offs"...or maybe I missed something along the way!

Thanks for the great work!

sg

Have the AI got bit worse lately? Enemy soldiers (patrolling with easy behaviour) dont seem to react much when they get hit, unless they have spotted the shooter. Would expect them running for cover more quickly. Or does some AI skills affect that (general or commanding).

Can you tell roughly since when you are experiencing this behavior? Stable or Dev? (in the AI thread pls)

Thanks a lot!

Hi Devs,

Two issues I am having with 1.39.129316 -

1. I use trackIR for head movement, but I lost mouse control of my direction of movement. I reverted back to release, mouse worked. Switched back to Dev branch, verified files, still no mouse. Deleted my profile and rebuilt, mouse worked fine, but "adjust" setting was not accessible via the UI - I had to set the key manually be editing my new profile.

I'm a bit too drunk to verify this now, but please make sure this isn't a real issue! I can't live without TIR. :x

I'm a bit too drunk to verify this now, but please make sure this isn't a real issue! I can't live without TIR. :x

I'm with ya, BullHorn. Wasn't a trackIR issue - it was a mouse issue. Delete of profile fixed it for me.

with all these really fundamentla improvements to the way bullet speeds are set and recoil changes coming soon I am very curious as to what changes will be made to machine guns now that bipods are viable. Now there should be far less need to have the default rambo stance of standing with lmg holding it up like its a m16 when deploying it via bipod or supported on a surface is able to give it the stability needed for accurate fire. would weapon fatigue be introduced so you cant hold up very heavy weapns forever?

edit - one more thing. with the new init values for ai detecting bullets. is it applied to the parent class so any mods that use it inherit the values automatically?

Edited by twisted

edit - one more thing. with the new init values for ai detecting bullets. is it applied to the parent class so any mods that use it inherit the values automatically?

I checked a few days ago, and yes, every mod should inherit the default values. Currently all ammunition has the same values.

I am getting "Error Type Number, expected Number"-errors with lineIntersects and ATLtoASL. Since the error sound so strange (should be expecting array and getting it), putting it here. Looking for own recent mistakes, but not yet found. Should be the same scripts as months before.

Btw. Preparing sample for the earlier AI issue very soon. Sorry for delay, have been stucked to write some new epic scripts.

Edited by SaOk

I am getting "Error Type Number, expected Number"-errors with lineIntersects and ATLtoASL. Since the error sound so strange (should be expecting array and getting it), putting it here. Looking for own recent mistakes, but not yet found. Should be the same scripts as months before.

Btw. Preparing sample for the earlier AI issue very soon. Sorry for delay, have been stucked to write some new epic scripts.

you sure it is "Error Type Number, expected Number" and not "Error Type , expected Number"?

The "Error Type , expected Number"-error was common before the friday build. After that getting only that "Error Type Number, expected Number"-error, but didnt yet try arsenal. Scripts seem to behave bit strange too, but cant say if its from my recent additions or not. Have been fighting around one issue for hours now that dosent seem to make sense.

I made the AI sample mission, its in the AI thread.

Edit: Got the error solved, for some reason something returned position as [x,y] instead of [x,y,z]. Strange thing it gave that number error instead of pointing the array was too small, also mystery how the positions had z element lost suddently. But that was easy to correct in the functions.

Edited by SaOk