I agree with the difficulty changing how the stance indicator works. I would also add the option to remove it entirely in the game settings. Anyone who played for more than a few hours usually knows very quickly which stances he is in.

there's no feedback..

Geometric world around you is feedback. But sometimes, when you play in the night, for example, you just need to know that. So make it optional is not bad idea.

Edited by Anachoretes

I agree with the difficulty changing how the stance indicator works. I would also add the option to remove it entirely in the game settings. Anyone who played for more than a few hours usually knows very quickly which stances he is in.

indeed, I never really use the stance indicator, I'm usually aware of the stance i'm in or adjust accordingly, so in the higher difficulties I'd rather it be limited or nonexistent.

Just that you can't FEEL anything since there's no feedback..

It is the little things you notice, by "instinct", so you can concentrate in the more important things, like fighting.

With experience, you know when to reload, what stances you are using, what is your position in the map and so on, without having to think too much or check them constantly.

It is the little things you notice, by "instinct", so you can concentrate in the more important things, like fighting.

With experience, you know when to reload, what stances you are using, what is your position in the map and so on, without having to think too much or check them constantly.

Sorry, no you dont. At least not always:

This was true before the new minor stances have been added. Now the visual or "feeling" difference between e.g. normal and higher standing is actually very subtle or even not present at all.

Besides that, there are also subtle automatisms. E.g. leaning to sides gets reverted when changing the up/down stance.

So even with a lot of experience in the game and trying to keep track mentally when changing stances you do not always know whether you could poke your face bit deeper into the sands or not. ;-)

I agree that the indicator should be optional though. This should suite everybody well.

I confirm what said about last dev build and TrackIr : I am unable to turn my sight left and right (keeps my eyes on the same direction but makes the whole body rotate instead...). Besides, I am able to look up and down normally.

Disabling and re-enabling the controller does not help with that problem.

Trackir 3 Pro with last firmware.

Sorry, no you dont. At least not always

Not always, maybe, but usually Yes. You use basic stances most of the time, other stances in some special occasions. And checking between higher and normal standing is easy just by changing the stance quickly. It's not a big deal. Checking it from the indicator could be even distracting.

Optional for the lower difficulties maybe, for the higher, this new system is fine. Stance indicator is ok, and cool addition for some, but not necessary at all.

Stop putting your opinions forward as fact, as they are not. Some people like to have the stance indicator, some don't. This is why there should be a simple option for On, Off, and Fade, so everyone can choose what system they want.

It would be nice if someone from BIS explained exactly how this will work. There seem to be 3 HUD settings: Allow full HUD info, Extended HUD info, and permanent extented HUD info. Which of these will affect the stance indicator, and what will be the differences between the difficulty levels? There's just too many variations of these settings and difficulties to test it quickly.

Edited by Johan S

I confirm what said about last dev build and TrackIr : I am unable to turn my sight left and right (keeps my eyes on the same direction but makes the whole body rotate instead...). Besides, I am able to look up and down normally.

Disabling and re-enabling the controller does not help with that problem.

Trackir 3 Pro with last firmware.

Looking around in general is broken now. Run forward and use any of the numpad keys to look around: you will spin incontrollably. When you use alt+mouse to look, once you release the alt key your character will spin in the opposite direction you looked, which is extremely disorientating. Is this on the feedback tracker already?

It is next to impossible to play using the aim deadzone, your crosshair move way too fast.

Stance indicator is fine as fade. Suggestion: detach it from the ammo box so you can put it anywhere you want with the custom UI.

LOD changes are bad as they were on the final days of Alpha.

Stop putting your opinions forward as fact, as they are not. Some people like to have the stance indicator, some don't.

And the Fact is that there are differend difficulty settings in Arma 3, as in previous games. Higher difficulties already limit "helpers".

You can choose which ones you want or don't want on the lower difficulty settings, even the enemy/friendly difficulty. High difficulty settings have limitations for what you can choose, as they should, too.

I believe the problem is with said defaults, particularly for play on MP servers set to Veteran or Elite.

Stop putting your opinions forward as fact, as they are not. Some people like to have the stance indicator, some don't. This is why there should be a simple option for On, Off, and Fade, so everyone can choose what system they want.

It would be nice if someone from BIS explained exactly how this will work. There seem to be 3 HUD settings: Allow full HUD info, Extended HUD info, and permanent extented HUD info. Which of these will affect the stance indicator, and what will be the differences between the difficulty levels? There's just too many variations of these settings and difficulties to test it quickly.

Throw in a Feedback Tracker ticket requesting a revert.

Higher difficulties already limit "helpers".

Yes, but the stance indicator is no "helper", it just gives you feedback of the position of your body, something you're instinctively aware of in real life.

Play in third person and you don't need the stance indicator. Just saying. :)

Don't play at all and you won't notice the bugs and all other problems. Solved!

Or better, freelook. The only thing you really have to distinguish between is standing and crouching. The rest will be shown to you by either the shaking or it is absolutely obvious :) Just take a quick look down to check wether the knees are there or not. It's about the same effort as looking at the stance indicator but much more immersive than an artificial UI element.

Or better, freelook. The only thing you really have to distinguish between is standing and crouching. The rest will be shown to you by either the shaking or it is absolutely obvious :) Just take a quick look down to check wether the knees are there or not. It's about the same effort as looking at the stance indicator but much more immersive than an artificial UI element.

Ok that made me laugh but you do have a very good point. What happens if your kneeling and your knees are NOT there? I try not to use the stance indicator tbh. Never had it before and I don't need it now. That isn't to say that it is a good addition to the game mind you.

soo.. to sum it up

- trackir broken

- recoil from some of the weapons missing (noticed alot of players getting kicked for norecoil by the missions antihack script)

- still alot of undeclared variable messages when there seems to be no problems (scripts still work as intended, variables are declared)

- stance indicator changes are 'doubted by most' :)

but.. having battleye is sooo nice! ive spend the day setting up BEC and getting rcon to work, finally some warnings before a server restart and finally i can check ingame from the arma2rcon tools without having to launch the game! :)

Looking around in general is broken now. Run forward and use any of the numpad keys to look around: you will spin incontrollably. When you use alt+mouse to look, once you release the alt key your character will spin in the opposite direction you looked, which is extremely disorientating. Is this on the feedback tracker already?

I think 2 of us put it on - mine is

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11583

I assume someone "merges" them on the tracker?

Seems like the point of "stance indicator constantly up" was constant awareness, which I find more immersive than the idea that the character would have no other indication of one's stance than "look down", but then again I find the whole idea of "check stance" less immersive than the what the artificial UI element represents.

Happens because it is rotating your body and not your head, since you don't have a limit to turn the boddy, the whole thing spins. And it's inverted.

On a related note, those numpad keys could be much more usefull if binded to other actions, maybe simple orders or even hand gestures.

For me that still applies :) I have constant awareness by observing the surroundings rather than observing a magical icon in the upper right corner. For me, I guess it's the whole idea of that UI element being an artifical element rather than something inherent to the digital world which makes it less appealing.

But then again there's rarely any need for me for checking it at all in the first place :D

Whereas in my case a HUD element is "appropriate" and not conflicting with "realism" if it's standing in for a tactile sensation -- i.e. stance indicator yes, ammo counter no. ;)