FPS feels smoother here too, as good as the release version or better. DEV-versions around release were much slower.

Unfortunatly i, for now, dont have time to write tickets, these are quite obvious problems which should be worked on anyway.

no time to write tickes, but writing here , hmmmm. if you had written a ticket and not here would have been the same time :D

but in the feedback tracker it would be known of, here it gets lost.

Strategic Map dont always work, it may sometimes show blackscreen (with message - unable to create 'RscDisplayStrategicMap' display) and after that it wont work until restarting mission.

Edit: Or I had [] in parameter, where parent display was supposed to be given. Changed it now to findDisplay 46 if it makes difference.

Edit 2: It didnt, got blackscreen with Strategic Map again after 5 minutes of playing. :S There is no errors displayed.

Edit 3: Started working again after some waiting (in the mission) and retrying.

Edited by SaOk

Any idea if the AI rate of fire will ever get fixed?

Its kinda odd that weapons from machine-guns to rifles changes to a different firing rate from like 0.1 (600rpm) to 0.2 (300rpm) once the player passes a set distance from the location of the weapon being fired. If the player is close to the location within like <50m the AI will fire the weapon correctly at the ROF set in the config but once you get outside this area it goes to being a pop-pop-pop almost semi-auto.

- This is not because of any config settings & has been occurring since OFP

Hi mate,

I'm not sure this will be changed as it seems to be a design choice rather than a bug. I think the ROF drop-off with distance is so the CPU isn't overloaded calculating lots of bullets over a large distance.

It does seem like a blanket solution though. Maybe they could have it more dynamic so if there are only a few AI, then they will keep up a high ROF, but if there are lots then the engine could scale the ROF accordingly to keep performance acceptable.

This is all just a hunch though.

(I upvoted your ticket anyway) :)

Hi mate,

I'm not sure this will be changed as it seems to be a design choice rather than a bug. I think the ROF drop-off with distance is so the CPU isn't overloaded calculating lots of bullets over a large distance.

It does seem like a blanket solution though. Maybe they could have it more dynamic so if there are only a few AI, then they will keep up a high ROF, but if there are lots then the engine could scale the ROF accordingly to keep performance acceptable.

This is all just a hunch though.

(I upvoted your ticket anyway) :)

I kind hate this "bug". It snaps me out of immersion in the game. No human ever fires that regularly. I don't mind rof reducing with distance, leading up to full auto closer, but there could be at least a little randomisation. I can tell an AI shooting just by the constant rof...

Does anybody know what "Skybox lighting is now done per pixel" means? I was hoping for shadows being casted not only on the terrain itself (which was already done) but also all objects that were in the shadow of a mountain for example. But I guess it's only the skybox' lighting that changed. Pity.

Does anybody know what "Skybox lighting is now done per pixel" means? I was hoping for shadows being casted not only on the terrain itself (which was already done) but also all objects that were in the shadow of a mountain for example. But I guess it's only the skybox' lighting that changed. Pity.

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/162308-per-vertex-lighting-vs-per-pixel-lighting/page2

Second post on that page.

Aha, I see, thanks for the link. So that would mean no more 50 shades of dark blue in the evening. Still hoping for correct terrain shadows. I mean even Chernarus had those.

Aha, I see, thanks for the link. So that would mean no more 50 shades of dark blue in the evening. Still hoping for correct terrain shadows. I mean even Chernarus had those.

It doesn't mean that. There can still be gazillion colours on the sky if the devs want it. Previously each vertex had its own colour, now each pixel has its own colour. It's just higher precision.

I am so depressed =(

Performance really sucks balls, and I spent quite a bit of money on my PC which is really only dedicated for ARMA3 based on the provided recommended specs before release, and my rig is just a notch above that... I dont mind mid range performance, I mean I played ARMA 2 just fine on low to medium at around 30fps, but the rig i was using was just pretty generic, but after investing so much into a dedicated rig just for ARMA3, and seeing it struggle like this, it is depressing... I mean I can bitch about the annoiying popping of models and textures that distract me, the crappy mid range textures, the awful shadowing, the AI, the horrific parralax mapping that we still cant disable independantly, but all of that is moot, when we cant even comfortably run ARMA3 at 60fps on ultra with the recommendid spec that BIS provided... I litterally hardly get to play the game, as soon as performance drops, I start tweaking, even though i know it's futile, I still do it, and it takes up almost an entire evening... I hate it, it's frustrating as hell!

I shall end my little depressing rant here, and go finish my bottle of whiskey and play some GTA5... but I humbly wish that the devs would put in more effort to get ARMA 3 performance into tip top shape, hell even the DAYZ team seems to be coming up with some solutions, like the short range sync update, that sounds friggin like a major leap! why do I want network data sync to sync data from things happening on the other end of the map that doesnt affect me in any way? Likewise why does everything have to happen at such a large scale when it isnt even in range.... bleh, there I go again... I'm gonna shut up now... Just wanted to share my feelings lol, still a great product, I love ARMA, but I also seem to hate it (from a performance point of view).

and I am ready to be crucified by the hardcore elite fans now =)

I have better fps with todays update, good direction BIS, anyone else ?

It's been a while since I flew over Altis, so I tried that again today.

What a surprising experience that was.

I started from the south, over the sea, heading north over the stuttery eastern part of the island...5000 view distance and 3000 object vd.

At first, 60 fps, great, then over the southern area, still 60. When I was over the middle part, with lots of towns visible ...still 50-55, that was unreal.

And no stuttering, or waiting for the textures or houses to load .. lowest fps was 45 when I flew over the "heaviest" part of the map.

Then I just had to try the max 12 000 vd. Lowest fps 35. No stutters.

My PC had a good day .. or Altis performance has improved significantly.

yes got to say that my frames have gone up by 20 FPS not quiet back to 60 but better than 2 days ago when it was near on impossible to play SP let alone MP 10fps, great job and good to see that texture path error has gone too it seems that many vehicles are suffering texture lod problems when near and far disappearing pieces and shadows also the hemet box has the box missing when you go close or move away from it.

noticed when on a corner of some houses and you lean out it makes all buildings behind the house disappear from view I dont think all houses are finished I have had this on some projects I have done in the past.

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

we cant even comfortably run ARMA3 at 60fps on ultra with the recommendid spec that BIS provided... I litterally hardly get to play the game, as soon as performance drops, I start tweaking, even though i know it's futile, I still do it, and it takes up almost an entire evening... I hate it, it's frustrating as hell!

That is a vicious circle indeed. Frustrating tweaking hell.

The solution is simple. Don't tweak, find one combination that works rather well and stick with it.

The view distance and object distance is usually enough tweaking after that.

Running Arma 3 comfortably 60fps with ultra ...you shouldn't use word "even" :D

Running Arma 3 with rather big fights (not huge battles) and very high/ultra settings and reasonable view distance, 30 fps is comfortable.

Constant 60fps would be a dream, not likely to happen.

Did you even try COF Green after removing the barrier? The instructor still gets stuck as if the barrier is still there.

And what about these invisible barriers?

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/577874899620476006/FAD9075B491E63616B85C811FF018FD3419734C3/1024x576.resizedimage

Yay!

Edited by Gliptal

The second invisible barriers you mention should/did have wire texture there but it is obviously missing in this build.

Somethings broken with Altis in the past two days.

I've been working on a mission, in which the init goes through each of the locations in the config and creates arrays for use in game by units and groups.

Since the pop-up config error (yesterdays build), it refuses to complete the init, and won't run the mission. Even though the pop-up error is now fixed the mission still won't run.

It still runs without error on Stratis though, so I know it's not a syntax error or similar. There's nothing in the rpt to tell me what's going on. I put some diag_logs in the init so I can see where it quits, but all I can trace it down to is it gets to the town of Athira and then the rpt stops.

I'm pretty sure I'm not running out of memory (that's usually logged iirc), and I even tried it on a dedi to see if it was an issue with hosting on my PC, but still the same result.

I haven't made a ticket as there's not much evidence to go on yet, but wanted to post up here in case others are getting similar issues. Will check back here if I find anything else worth reporting.

EDIT: This is the point at which it always quits (diag_logged into rpt):

"TOWN:  Athira"
"HOUSE: 51da4f00# 470820: cargo_tower_v1_f.p3d"

Edited by Das Attorney

is it just me or was the build up in the intro song improved and made longer? i might be way too tired but it seems to me like there is a more interesting developement of tension. i also like the rhythm shifty thing going on at the start. i dunno. maybe just one side of my headphones died ;

i also like that second melody going on when the main them is already going. gives me goosebumps. i hope we'll get more of those kinda tracks in the campaign. really digging it. whoever is working on these, big thumbs up. it would make me infinitely happy if we could get a similar remake of the main resistance theme at the start of this "video"

i still get real feels from hearing it like it reminds me of real stuff that happened (that campaign was brilliant).

Edited by Bad Benson

Somethings broken with Altis in the past two days.

I've been working on a mission, in which the init goes through each of the locations in the config and creates arrays for use in game by units and groups.

Since the pop-up config error (yesterdays build), it refuses to complete the init, and won't run the mission. Even though the pop-up error is now fixed the mission still won't run.

It still runs without error on Stratis though, so I know it's not a syntax error or similar. There's nothing in the rpt to tell me what's going on. I put some diag_logs in the init so I can see where it quits, but all I can trace it down to is it gets to the town of Athira and then the rpt stops.

I'm pretty sure I'm not running out of memory (that's usually logged iirc), and I even tried it on a dedi to see if it was an issue with hosting on my PC, but still the same result.

I haven't made a ticket as there's not much evidence to go on yet, but wanted to post up here in case others are getting similar issues. Will check back here if I find anything else worth reporting.

EDIT: This is the point at which it always quits (diag_logged into rpt):

maybe releated to the gutted entites chnage?

@DA,

If the one that works in Stratis is newly created mission, try to create new mission also in Altis. It might be bad sqm files, though it might not be the case...

maybe releated to the gutted entites chnage?

Good call.

I chopped up the mission init so it can be run as a script on a single house at a time to check the properties. All other buildings I've checked it on in the last 15 minutes are fine and the script runs as expected.

On that particular building, it bugs out and quits with nothing in the RPT. It's one of those big military armoured towers in the North of Athira.

I'll have to work out a repro and upload it to the tracker. Will do it in the morning though as I've been staring at a PC screen all night and it's really late.

Edit: Just tested it again and it worked this time. I can't figure this one out. :(

Mr C - Will try that in the morning - thx.

Edit 2: I just tried that and no luck.

After more investigation, I really do think it's something to do with these Cargo Towers. I just repeated logging the failed starts, but this time, I omitted Athira from the list of positions to check (so the script wouldn't fail on it).

The init carried on fine until it got to here:

"TOWN:  Syrta"
"HOUSE: 58bc5600# 535891: cargo_tower_v1_f.p3d"

So I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the model or it's config. Will do some more testing...

Edit 3:

Here is a list of all the cargo towers that were stopping the init from running. Not sure what's going on behind the scenes but at least I know what the problem is:

"TOWN:  Syrta"
"HOUSE: 58bc5600# 535891: cargo_tower_v1_f.p3d"

"TOWN:  military"
"HOUSE 3be5eb00# 710514: cargo_house_v3_f.p3d"

"HOUSE 3be5e400# 710516: cargo_tower_v3_f.p3d"

"TOWN:  factory"
"TOWN POS:  [12577.4,16352.8]"
"HOUSE: 722b4800# 710705: cargo_house_v3_f.p3d"

"TOWN:  factory"
"TOWN POS:  [12577.4,16352.8]"
"HOUSE: 7226f900# 710623: cargo_tower_v3_f.p3d"

"TOWN POS:  [23533.2,21108]"
"HOUSE: 7ae9b900# 1537022: cargo_tower_v1_f.p3d"

Edited by Das Attorney

Exactly, that's what I meant, I always loathed the visible steps when night fell. At least it's something. :)

€dit:

@Bad Benson

Very true, some of these things go by unnoticed or are buried under all the complaints. The music is really catching the tone of OFP I like that a lot. Some time ago I watched a video with a remix of Seventh's - Lifeless. I haven't gone through all tracks, maybe that's also in Arma 3? Thanks for bringing up that memory!

Edited by bonham

Yep, that music is really nice. Wish we had some nice "intros" and a toggle HUD to go with that.