Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

WarFX Particles

Yes, put an hpp file in a userconfig folder, then users can adjust to their preference.

Failing that, would it be possible to have the amount of dust kicked up dependent of the round being fired AND what it hits?

Thanks for this mod, it has made the game alot better in my opinion. Now it feels more realistic when your shooting a big machine gun form an APC or a tank.

Does this mod work with these others?

Vop sound 2.1

Pistolfied tracers

JTD fire and smoke

Tracers war

When there's too many effects at once it seems to bug out and stop the particles. It's really ugly when I have 50 tanks shoot eachother and have them all exploding to see the smoke disappear 2 seconds later. Does anyone know how to fix this?

That's a product of the engine. It's not his mod.

If it's possible to have a user-definable 'set' of effects, that would be cool. Certain sets for different environments. I know some mods have a file that the user can customize values, that might be something to look into.

Hey optical yah! Thats not a bad idea. Maybe make it "modular" with two PBO files for example. Keep the current dust cloud for desert and dry enviroments and tone it down for others who want to play in chernarus/panthera, namalsk. Great work

Ah yeah, mine totally doesn't work. Well no, it kind of works, the tracer mod does. I don't get any sparks though. I've tried putting the files in a mod folder, tried using a launcher, tried sticking them straight into addons, nothing works, any ideas?

Ah yeah, mine totally doesn't work. Well no, it kind of works, the tracer mod does. I don't get any sparks though. I've tried putting the files in a mod folder, tried using a launcher, tried sticking them straight into addons, nothing works, any ideas?

Some other addon probably fucks with it.

That's why I always say "Kids! Don't forget to use a game launcher!". If you are using a game launcher, deactivate all addons except this one and see if it works. Then start adding your mods one by one and you'll find out which one does it.

Hey Optical- great work.

A few questions and suggestions:

Is there any way the tracers could be made to appear a little 'thinner'? IMO what makes the original tracers look fake is that they're too thick and blobby.

The coloration of the various sides of tracers is fine, but I think that each one of them needs to be a little more 'white' at the core of the tracer and the colors need to be a little less saturated. Is that possible to do?

Could you increase the 'alive' time on the tracers as well so that they trail out quite far when AA guns are shooting etc? Right now I have my view distance set at around 5k and the tracers die off at around 2500-3k it seems, or even closer.

Crits on the sparks of the explosions:

Overall I think the explosions are really well done. A lot of good suggestions have already been said about the dust etc. so I won't repeat that but I have a few more crits that might improve the immersion a bit-

When the sparks are spawned with the explosion, I think they need to have much higher initial velocity and then have them slow down very rapidly. I don't know if you used much real world reference, but if you haven't take a look at as much real life stuff as you can. The particles of real explosions appear almost instantly to within 80-90% of their ending position and then slow down to almost 'float' as they burn out and fall to the ground.

I don't know if you can put additional variation into the various particles you create so that some have high speed/short duration while others have longer duration with lower initial velocity, but I think that would improve things as well.

Keep up the great work. If you'd like any help testing stuff before you make a public release or need some help with some QA please let me know, I'd be glad to help out.

How can we get this to work with JTD smoke properly? They do "work" together but seem to cause some conflicts. I dont like the blurry smoke from the effects mod. Is it possible just to have the hit effects and sparks but no smoke from this mod. As JTD is the most amazing smoke effect Ive seen in a game. I dont want to mess it up...

Well im trying to cut back on the un-needed stuff and make it work properly, but i keep running into the same problem.

Sometimes it works, most of the time it dont and looks like this

problem01z.jpg

Here's a little footage I threw together that really shows off this awsome Mod:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1HCeyLRxs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1HCeyLRxs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

you know the sparks effect, does that happen when 30 and 50 caliber rounds hit buildings?

Would be great if it did!

Well i got 1.2 ready, which makes changes to the bulletimpacts dust, vehicles explosion smoke and the heavy bullet impact sparks effect when it hits metal objects etc.

But i really want it to work with JTDs smoke mod and to make the mod smaller but i been having some problems doing this.

If i try and change the paths to a custom universial it causes those dogey looking particles and just looks wrong and dont work correctly, and obv if i remove the effects that are conflicting with JTDs mod the particles which i remove wont work at all and reports errors which is also bad.

Edited by Opticalsnare

What seems to be the problem with the JTD FAS addon? :) Dmarkwick is around, but somewhat more limited lately due to RL stuff. (I've directed him to this post, though.)

The FAS is intended to be layered over the default (and any other) effects, to hopefully avoid these kinds of issues. :)

Well i got 1.2 ready, which makes changes to the bulletimpacts dust, vehicles explosion smoke and the heavy bullet impact sparks effect when it hits metal objects etc.

That sounds brilliant, it looks like this is gonna be a must have for me :cool:

What seems to be the problem with the JTD FAS addon? :) Dmarkwick is around, but somewhat more limited lately due to RL stuff. (I've directed him to this post, though.)

The FAS is intended to be layered over the default (and any other) effects, to hopefully avoid these kinds of issues. :)

Well the problem is the way my mod is working, atm the paths are

\ca\Data\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal which are default paths, i have tried changing them to something else like \warfxc_\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal and changing the paths in the .p3d as the same making sure the length remains the same etc but when i do this the particles comes out like this http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4870/problem01z.jpg As you can see theres some glitches alround the edges.

And if i remove the parts which are conflicting with the JTD fire and smoke like vehicle smoke it just comes up with missing errors as there no particle entry there to run. As i want to remove the excess unmodded stuff also but if i do this it comes up with the missing xxx & xxx and breaks it all together. But if i change the paths it works but displays the particles as shown in pic... I dont have much time anymore as im back to work fulltime and really need to finish this up.

Any chance you could release the latest version for those of us that don't use JTD? Thanks heaps in advance!

I've noticed something. My particles don't look exactly like the ones in the posted youtube videos. Mine look.. simpler? Less particles and kind of big too. I don't see the little sparks... I see orbs the size of oranges.

Anyone else get the same? Do I have to configure the addon to make it look like the videos? Maybe me old eyes be deceiving me...

Hey, thanks for the mod;

However, imo it's a bit to excessive.

ALL particles look simply too big (and blood splurts too slow)

Tone them down - and it's gonna be a must-use mod.

(separating impact effects and fire might be also a good idea - personally, I don't like the new fire)

PS: Current version is still 1.1? [i was testing 1.1]

Edited by JonPL