Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

WarFX Particles

Sorry to say, yet that is quite a mess.. please next time do more research how to write

replacement configs or ask people.

Here is a somewhat improved version:

http://ifile.it/1xnt807

• Standalone addon, no CA.pbo replacement
  • light_flare(2)_ca modfications disabled as I found no config nor reference in a model
  • universal.p3d replaced in configs. NOT in the particle scripts
  • Needs XEH/CBA.
  • All other features still in.

1) Extract the file and put them to p:\ drive to get:

P:\WarFX\WarFX_Particles_Core\*

2) Pack/binarize the WarFX_Particles_Core folder.

3) Sign addon before release. Cheers.

Untested, yet should work hopefully..

The ca\config is still in there. Only replaced the config header and path

to files of the addon.

Try drop all obsolete values, yet stop in between after 1 hour work being

too annoyed ... so this version has the complete config (VERY BAD!).

If anyone ones to complete the config cleaning..

Use a diff tool like compareIt and compare these two:

http://ifile.it/dprk9jf/org_CaDataParticleEffects_config.cpp

http://ifile.it/u8t7164/WarFX_Particles_CoreDataParticleEffects_config.cpp

Drop all values the same in both, yet leave the class structure definition in there.

Enjoy..

Edited by kju

Try having the War FX mod first in your shortcut so it looks similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -mod=@WarFx -mod=@SOWmod

In this case you should have a folder named @WarFx inside your arma 2 folder. Inside @WarFx you should have a folder named addons with following files in:

WarFX_Particles_Core.pbo

WarFX_Particles_Weps.pbo

ok

still same problem, no menu sounds, no sparkles etc

and sow mod doesnt work now :(

EDIT:

hmmm maybe is this the problem

that folder named @WarFx

do i placed it in;

computer/hp/program files/bohemia interactive/arma 2

or

computer/hp/program files/bohemia interactive/arma 2/addons

??

thnx

Edited by Bazza072

Kju, did you ask permission before you re-released someone else's work? :raisebrow:

Also, anyway to make this mod modular? I'm not interested in new smoke effect or other stuff like that. I'm more interested in those spark effects.

ok

still same problem, no menu sounds, no sparkles etc

and sow mod doesnt work now :(

please post your shorcut link.

Well im sorry kju but some of us dont have all the time in the world to make things perfect and learn every little detail. I got to return to my fulltime job next week so i dont have alot of time left to make things all good and dandy. Your lucky i even released this in its current state as i didnt even plan on releasing it for another month. But as im returning to work next week and wont be spending as much time on the mod as i would like then its best to get it out the door and whatever.

Well im sorry kju but some of us dont have all the time in the world to make things perfect and learn every little detail. I got to return to my fulltime job next week so i dont have alot of time left to make things all good and dandy. Your lucky i even released this in its current state as i didnt even plan on releasing it for another month. But as im returning to work next week and wont be spending as much time on the mod as i would like then its best to get it out the door and whatever.

I like it, but it would be nice if you could find time to tone down the dust/dirt on small rounds impact, it looks like mortar shells hitting. Also remove sparks when hitting persons.

The sparks hitting persons is because the bullet has hit something metal like a weapon.

hmmm maybe is this the problem

that folder named @WarFx

do i placed it in;

computer/hp/program files/bohemia interactive/arma 2

or

computer/hp/program files/bohemia interactive/arma 2/addons

??

thnx

You should put it in a mod folder. Like

@WarFX\Addons\ ******.pbo

Then use the ArmA 2 Launcher

The sparks hitting persons is because the bullet has hit something metal like a weapon.

Ok, but then toning it down a bit because it really looks 4th of july on close range :p

You should put it in a mod folder. Like

@WarFX\Addons\ ******.pbo

Then use the ArmA 2 Launcher

can you tell me what the best arma 2 laucher is to download ?

thnx

Kju, did you ask permission before you re-released someone else's work? :raisebrow:

It's hardly re-releasing, it's an unsigned alpha, what more practical way to assist in its further development than by providing the author with a working example of suggested refinements.

As a relative n00b to this whole OFP/ArmA development thing, I can absolutely understand the absurd amount of details necessary to do things according to the "industry standard" around here. :) It is increasingly daunting.

But, having been around the block a couple times, now, there are good reasons for doing it right. Often, these constructs and "rules" are the result of hard-won experience.

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. :)

Just MHO, naturally.

Thank you for this mod - it's very welcome.

As constructive criticism - great work on the sparks (maybe randomise them and make them slightly smaller and faster for bullet hits on metallic surfaces) and as per some of the previous posters comments, it might be worth revisiting the dust plumes from bullet hits. At the moment they're very large - maybe shrink them and add some debris that falls back down to terra firma when a bullet strikes a building/the ground.

This is only meant as positive feedback - it's a really great mod and adds a lot of atmosphere. I'm running it alongside the JTD mod - not sure if they're both fully compatible as grenade blasts tend to have lots of sparks and very little smoke when I've activated this mod.

Sterling effort though - good stuff :)

Was released early. I dont mind the help, i got stuck and thought wtf release it anyway.

So if the mod can be made smaller then im all for it, its a mod and needs to be fixed. I still got lots of stuff to finish off. Its been a busy month and i wanna finish this stuff off. :banghead:

I was just reading through some of the earlier posts - totally forgot that you hadn't slept for 48 hours - hope you got some good kip (I always find it gives me a bit more perspective) :)

Although I haven't attempted any mods for Arma 2, I've (nearly) completed a couple of addons for X-Plane and can testify to the sheer frustration of making a good end product. It's so easy to get caught up in little details and then also the whole tedium of working in two or three different programs at once and then having to boot up the game to test them - rinse and repeat ad infinitum! Half the time I would adjust something and I could see absolutely no difference! Then someone else would check it out and spot things straightaway I've missed or done incorrectly!!

I suppose a fresh pair of eyes always helps. I hope it hasn't stressed you out making these things, but just wanted to reassure you that it's appreciated :)

I can't wait to install this myself. It sounds like a significant improvement. :)

Opticalsnare, thanks for releasing this! I wouldn't get frustrated by the feedback. The Operation Flashpoint / ArmA addon-making community is around 8 years old, so things get taken very seriously.

Your releasing it makes it possible for people to recommend bug-fixes and streamlining and also to customize the mod for their own peculiar tastes.

This is the most beautiful FX mod that I've seen for this franchise since the ECP mod for OFP.

I'm sure it will become a standard by which other FX mods will be judged.

i agree the bullets kick up too much dirt, & something about it doesnt look right. it should be a lot faster. as it is the bullet hits, and its like each one is a tiny smoke bomb exploding then quickly dissipitating. it should just kick up a little brown dirt which would travel at high velocity for a very short while then disappear. no cloud effect really. just my take.

awesome work Opticalsnare, i stayed up pretty late last night having fun with this mod, hope to see more awesome stuff come out from you, later.

Well what i shoulda done was beta tested it with some people. But il work on the bulletimpacts for next release as mentioned.

Il also sign & add keys is well.

Edited by Opticalsnare
Note added.

Well what i shoulda done was beta tested it with some people. But il work on the bulletimpacts for next release as mentioned.

That would be cool, take your time and keep up the good work ;)