Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

http://www.dpadmagazine.com/2010/07/07/arma-ii-operation-arrowhead/

Another pretty fail review, for my opinion, I fount it on metacritic tho...

In every god damn review, they always whine and even give negative points for that... game is too hard and controls are complicated... which makes me wanting to ask a question: Does some people are so retarded today, that they cant memorize more than a,s,d,w and LMB keys :S

Even if arrowhead have 15 COMPLETE Tutorial missions, they still say game is too difficult and hard for new comers and give negative point for that. Whats wrong that game is difficult? Years back, It was good side, now every god damn game have indicators go there, shoot him, click HERE... OH... NOT THERE, CLICK HERE! etc. Which makes me think again does people today are ...

Tho.. I can't remember having problems OFP controls... And In gaming history, mostly hard games are most successful, example Baldurs Gate, Mafia, OFP ofc ;) etc.

Sorry, this pained me for many times and I'm also bit sad that Germany lost :(

"the expansion doesn't improve on the original and doesn't fix any of the problems ArmA 2 had"

I think we can safely say (as we do in the UK) that this is

Utter bollocks

:)

Defects are in the eye of the beholder.

Where You see all of BIS' hard work like weapon optics, destructable and enterable buildings and largeaddressaware, others likely still see performance issues, lack of hollywood-style gameplay, and subpar reload animations. To them, little has changed.

LOL this is exactly what the ArmA series is about. Its not supposed to be some Hollywood action game, its a simulator with game mechanics. It not another BF2/MW clone that they've so sadly become accustomed to. It makes me sick.

They need to realize: If they dont have a computer capable of running it, thats THEIR problem! If they cant accept that a small company innovating more than any other company in its field making it virtually impossible NOT to have at least some bugs, and the need to sacrifice some eyecandy, THATS THIER PROBLEM. Maybe this game is not their kind of game? No problem at all, it doesn't have to be. Just dont go blatantly "the expansion doesn't improve on the original and doesn't fix any of the problems ArmA 2 had" LOLwut? :confused:

Please show me who does it better than BIS? Please? Anyone? Codemasters? Pfft! Thats what I thought...

Whether people or the reviewers like it or not, ITS A FACT that BIS has been pushing the envelope on whats possible, on all levels(large scale open world sandbox type of gameplay) beyond ANY, ANY mainstream production company ever has. The only game that comes remotely close is FSX and look at that, that company was shut down. Actually it was probably one of those old JANE games that ever came close.

And BIS rarely to NEVER gets recognized for that.

All we ask is that they would at least mention that and give credit where its due- AND im not saying dont mention the bugs, Just put it into context.

It does often feel like reviewers are just advert whores who haven't played anything other than flavour of the month xbob games, and maybe that's exactly who they are, but we still need to face the facts about arma... The masses will probably agree with the reviews and the metacritic quote.

Which is sad, but anyone with the IQ above 100 will know not to go completely by Reviews.

We as a community grows day by day, people would be foolish to dismiss that and say BIS is not making any sales- Especially after the Dragon Rising debacle, we will continue to grow, until someone does it better. AND I can almost guarantee no one will probably do it better, nor support its player base like BIS.

EDIT: See Zipper5's post below \/

Edited by Sniper Pilot
I really chopped this up, oh well, its eligible enough.

Take these comments from this review, if you will:

pitting you against the oppressive forces of Colonel Aziz who, presumably, took to becoming a videogame baddie after his career as a Saddam Hussein lookalike stopped being financially viable.
Despite shamelessly fashioning the story and environments around certain obvious events in the real world, there’s very little going on to engage players with the story.

Now remember back to the story of Call of Duty 4. More specifically, the Middle-Eastern portions. Not only were one of the missions blatantly titled "Shock and Awe", but the city was made to look a lot like Baghdad, and they were looking for their military dictator Al-Asad, the game's own Saddam. Everyone praised Call of Duty 4's single player, including myself. No one said the way it represented the current day events were a bad thing. But apparently OA doing it is bad?

the droll AI members of elite military coalition Task Force Knight have less combined personality than a single generic townsperson from Final Fantasy.

Again, tell me who in Call of Duty 4's single player campaign had a significant personality outside of the usual Hollywood-bravado ""NNNNNNGGGGGGHNNNNN KILL TERRORISTS!!1one" *lifts weights while firing M203*" "soldier"? Heck, the main characters didn't even have a personality. They never even spoke! I'm not denying OA's characters lack personality, but why mark OA down because of it when it's okay for big games to have the same?

And while there is plenty of content for the veterans, there’s very few ways to actually get a good play with the new equipment out of the box. Fans of the mission editor will be set for a good few years, and the modding community will go absolutely gaga, but it’s a bit too much like slim pickings for the rest of us.

Anyone who can't get the basics down after completing OA's extremely well-designed training missions should not be playing this game in the first place. There's no way they can't know by the end of them how to read the map and compass, follow waypoints & orders, move, and shoot their weapon. I'd like to ask the reviewer if he found it hard to learn how to play Call of Duty/Bad Company as well... That would say a lot.

Edited by Zipper5

@Zipper5- Your TOTALLY right.

That annoys me so much especially the part where he goes.

Despite shamelessly fashioning the story and environments around certain obvious events in the real world, there’s very little going on to engage players with the story.

EVERY Modern day shooter is roughly based on a modern day conflict!

What does he want BIS to come up with some totally bullshit terrain based on NOTHING and totally make up their own conflict basis on their own that has NEVER happened before???

Wtf.

This is one reason I hate those main stream reviewers.

Edited by Enad

I've seen some review quotes on metaritic saying that C&C4 looks ugly, so I wonder if you need to pass an IQ test before writing an article. :d

Why do all these "bad" reviews use press kit pictures instead of taking their own? :confused:

If they aren't bothered enough to do it for the game it's funny how they were bothered to do it for the out of memory error... :j:

AIfaxzhwKwE

HC Tutorial Video.

Well, now we have some explanation about it in the manual, in the game´s tutorial and a video.
Still, there is people that complain about how hard the game is. And we can´t call them douchebags....... :rolleyes:

Guys, put it this way. You want to know how I ever got into Flashpoint and Arma? Let me tell you a story of when I was a wee lad...

T'was a cold day in London, and a young Richie Speed decided to go to the game store, and by a cheap game for his lovely xbox system. Looking through the second hand games, I didn't see anything that looked good. I was looking at this game called operation flashpoint: cold war crisis, and it didn't look that great to be honest:

It looked a little low budget, and the graphics didn't seem all that impressive either to be honest. I picked it up a few times, read the back cover a few times, and decided I would get something better. I think I ended up getting some COD game which I didn't even like...

Anyway, moving on, I got home, and out of curiosity looked up some reviews for the xbox version of cold war crisis which I had decided not to buy. The review on gamespot gave it a lame old 6.5, and all I had to do was read that initial score and my mind was set, the game sucked.

Moving on once again, I later found myself back in that same shop looking for a new game. This time I couldn't find a single thing that looked even remotely good, and yet again, there was flashpoint, sitting all alone on the shelf, with a pathetic price of what, £3?

I thought "screw it!" and decided to buy it as it was so cheap. Later that day, I played it for the first time. Not much I could say to be honest. As far as I was concerned the review was right, it was absolutely crap. I gave it an hour or so and then turned it off.

Later that night, bored out my mind, (as most 12 year olds normally are), I decided to try it one more time. I'm not quite sure what happened, but something clicked. I got to the mission where it's night time, and you are moving in to take a village. And you had the under barrel grenade launcher armed with flares.

That was the mission that hooked me in, and from that moment onwards, I realised just how unbelievably epic the game was. I spent hours upon hours playing, and once I discovered the editor, it was pure heaven. Best game I ever owned on PC/Xbox.

And from there, I went on to buy arma, arma 2, and now OA.

The moral of the story? Reviews just don't matter, you either like the game or you don't. Anyone who goes into it with negative thoughts will focus only on what's bad, and will ignore what's good.

And all those of you who gave it more than 30 minutes, well, you are the guys reading this post.

Peace!

Later that night, bored out my mind, (as most 12 year olds normally are), I decided to try it one more time. I'm not quite sure what happened, but something clicked. I got to the mission where it's night time, and you are moving in to take a village. And you had the under barrel grenade launcher armed with flares.

"Montignac Must Fall" I believe is what the title is. That's the first mission I remember that took place in the dark and you had flares. I've learned to ignore reviews too. I very rarely find games that I enjoy though. Nothing comes close to this.

Of course, I go off of my own instincts too with games. It's disappointing for me to see BIS' games, my favorite games, get lower scores and half-assed reviews, but I disregard them as I myself enjoy playing the game, as do many others. I just like to point out their half-assedness sometimes, for shits'n'giggles. :D

Why do all these "bad" reviews use press kit pictures instead of taking their own? :confused:

If they aren't bothered enough to do it for the game it's funny how they were bothered to do it for the out of memory error... :j:

Let ye Bias be strong is their motto.

Stop going to their websites and viola they will die! :yay:

Guys don't be too hard on the reviewers they have heaps of games to review and because of this some farm out reviews to junior inexperienced staff and some just can't sit for hours until a game 'clicks'. Also many reviewers are not used to complex 'shooter' simulations, they see so many cod like games and expect most to be like that.

They do get a lot right as well, dragon age got great reviews everywhere and I think everyone that played it has to agree.

Anyway when have reviews ever been kind to ofp, arma and arma2? And it does not matter because after 10 yrs only the ofp/arma fans will keep coming back.

I think what BIS should do is release a kind of dumbed down console version of AMRA, that will work right out of the box on small maps. Kind of like how the scenarios tend to run much better than the campaign. And do a little marketing for it to really broaden the user intrests and use it as a stepping stonte to holy grail of gaming that is ARMA2

I think what BIS should do is release a kind of dumbed down console version of AMRA, that will work right out of the box on small maps. Kind of like how the scenarios tend to run much better than the campaign. And do a little marketing for it to really broaden the user intrests and use it as a stepping stonte to holy grail of gaming that is ARMA2

No....

T'was a cold day in London, and a young Richie Speed decided to go to the game store, and by a cheap game for his lovely xbox system. Looking through the second hand games, I didn't see anything that looked good. I was looking at this game called operation flashpoint: cold war crisis, and it didn't look that great to be honest:

It looked a little low budget, and the graphics didn't seem all that impressive either to be honest. I picked it up a few times, read the back cover a few times, and decided I would get something better. I think I ended up getting some COD game which I didn't even like...

Anyway, moving on, I got home, and out of curiosity looked up some reviews for the xbox version of cold war crisis which I had decided not to buy. The review on gamespot gave it a lame old 6.5, and all I had to do was read that initial score and my mind was set, the game sucked.

Checking Gamespot , the review score is 8.7 :confused:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/operationflashpointcwc/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B2

Flashpoint generally got good reviews.

Edited by sparks50

Checking Gamespot , the review score is 8.7 :confused:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/operationflashpointcwc/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B2

Flashpoint generally got good reviews.

The X-box version didnt get nearly as good of reviews as the PC version.

The PC version won game of the year in a few publications, which is quite amazing for a title like this. I think it was because it was one of the first massive open world games which gave it a lot of the innovative feeling to the average reviewer. Now those games are a dime a dozen and that easily recognizable feature is no longer a selling point, at least to reviewers. Its a sim at heart, and sims in the main gaming community have been on a sad decline.

Which really sucks cause I don't want people telling me what to do in a story. Why I've never really played a campaign in any OFP or ArmA game. :p

He was talking about Flashpoint elite? Most people know the Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis name as the PC game.

That review score is actually worse than he described, 5.4.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/operationflashpointcwc/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B0

Meh, elite, CWC, to me it doesn't mean much, I owned OFP on both PC and console, and didn't really notice any difference in the stock game. The campaign was identical, that's for sure.

Even the editor on console wasn't too bad, although obviously not on par with the PC version. I do wonder why the review scores were so much poorer on the console version, it might not have been as good, but it certainly wasn't bad!

"Montignac Must Fall" I believe is what the title is. That's the first mission I remember that took place in the dark and you had flares. I've learned to ignore reviews too. I very rarely find games that I enjoy though. Nothing comes close to this.

You know, the mission(missions, depend which path you manage to get into) after this is THE mission that sums up the game for me.

It was back when graphics and sound were very big selling points in games (not saying they aren't still, but a crappy game would get great reviews in the first gen console age if it looked and sounded pretty) and in both of those areas OFP:E didn't do too well, thus it got lower scores. Really, if you look at the written reviews, that is why they lowered the score.

I remember one that simply had the tag line "Open world combat... If you can make out the enemy through the blurred textures." Or something along those lines.

Edited by Zipper5

I do wonder why the review scores were so much poorer on the console version, it might not have been as good, but it certainly wasn't bad!

** desperately fighting the urge to make inflammatory, prejudiced comments about the mentality of console gamers in general...unk...ergh...must resist... must resist...

**cant help myself they're a bunch of fu....... no... mustn't say it.... Iwon't say it...**

**somebody shut down my pc please.....need...more....willpower...help me.....** :D

Also many reviewers are not used to complex 'shooter' simulations, they see so many cod like games and expect most to be like that.

Complex shooter simulation? :D Even a child can play ArmA, that's prooved :p

You know, the mission(missions, depend which path you manage to get into) after this is THE mission that sums up the game for me.

Aha, the one where you are alone in the forest?

Most epic gaming experience, ever.

No joke, I hid in a bush for about 2 hours whilst some bmp 2 frantically hunted me down. Then, an entire squad was approaching me in my little hiding spot, but they were casually walking, so they didn't know I was there.

I just layed prone and hid until everyone had run off, and then I sprinted it. Dodging bullets and whizzing around like a mad man, what a brilliant experience!

I stole a tractor and drove to the extraction point as fast as I could in that as a BMP and squad of enemy soldiers were firing at me, willing the tractor to go faster as bullets were pinging off the frame of the tractor is an experience like no other :)