Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Anyone notice some strange stuff in the armor modeling? I just watched a T34 get brewed up by a 14.5mm cannon (BTR-60) from an oblique side angle. :eek:

Anyone notice some strange stuff in the armor modeling? I just watched a T34 get brewed up by a 14.5mm cannon (BTR-60) from an oblique side angle. :eek:

It's due to a hitpoint based system with armor rather than a proper armor damage model.

I'm pretty sure I heard AmoredSheep talk about a new armor penetrating system. Obviously there is still hitpoints but it doesn't affect the vehicles as much as before.

Seems about right for the T-34...

As the war went on, the T-34 gradually lost the advantage it had at the beginning. By the end of 1943 or 1944, it had become a relatively easy target for German 75***mm armed tanks and anti-tank guns, while hits from 88***mm armed Tigers, anti-aircraft cannons, and PAK-43 anti–tank guns were usually lethal.

Though I'll admit I have no idea how much the T-34 could stand, but if it could be taken down leathaly by anti aircraft guns, I'm pretty sure it could be taken out by a BTR.

Edited by Sniper Pilot
Niper-ilot

For example if I go back and play ARMA 2 campaign what benefits will it have from OA? ie: new damage modeling, flairs, graphics, weapon penetration, flir, etc?

I can't say for certain but I would expect:

- damage modeling is probably model-specific, therefore no effect on ArmA 2 content.

- flares become available for the USMC AH-1Z and presumably other aircraft, along with the new 'radar' display.

- engine changes obviously affect the graphics, so you'll get SSOA etc, but again anything texture/object model related won't be changed.

- weapon penetration is probably model-specific as well, though it might also apply to older content (e.g. a new tank might have different levels of penetrability depending on where it's hit, while an older tank might have one level for everything).

- FLIR is only available for new weapons/vehicles, so won't be in the campaign.

Also if you run the betas, I read somewhere that BIS will be doing betas for OA only so ArmA 2 stock will only get release-version patches. This could of course be completely false, so we'll see.

Has anyone noticed a problem with Blufor TOWs purchased from repair trucks.

When i mount them as a gunner im sitting high in the weapon like it was an AA pod and i cannot fire, access the optics or see any crosshairs on the weapon, also AI gunners do not fire at enemy armor targets that are in range :(

Has anyone noticed this ?

I searched this thread and i'm surprised I haven't seen this problem yet.

I can't use lights. I can't use the lazers on the light show mission, and in the campaign I couldn't use the flashlight. Nothing happens when i push "L". I even changed the key, thinking something was wrong with my keyboard but still nothing,. On light show mission it says to push L I do then the help screen disappears acknowledging that i pushed the correct button.

I got it once by accident by pushing L a couple times really fast but I couldn't turn it back off. I had to switch weapons then switch back Anyone else get this? By the way, it shouldn't be a video problem because i see everyone else lazer.

On that lazer mission, i'm waiting forever for exfiltration, then after about 10 minutes a couple pilots come up and wait with us. Helicopters must still not know how to fly in OA must have crashed somewhere screwing up the end of mission. HA

And just in case, I had Arma2 then I installed OA on to Arma2. so it says it's combined forces. But if that was the problem i shouldn't see the other guys lazers either.

Edited by victim913

I can't use lights. I can't use the lazers on the light show mission, and in the campaign I couldn't use the flashlight. Nothing happens when i push "L". I even changed the key, thinking something was wrong with my keyboard but still nothing,. On light show mission it says to push L I do then the help screen disappears acknowledging that i pushed the correct button.

I got it once by accident by pushing L a couple times really fast but I couldn't turn it back off. I had to switch weapons then switch back Anyone else get this? By the way, it shouldn't be a video problem because i see everyone else lazer.

On that lazer mission, i'm waiting forever for exfiltration, then after about 10 minutes a couple pilots come up and wait with us. Helicopters must still not know how to fly in OA must have crashed somewhere screwing up the end of mission. HA

And just in case, I had Arma2 then I installed OA on to Arma2. so it says it's combined forces. But if that was the problem i shouldn't see the other guys lazers either.

Are you running anything like TrackIR or some other keyboard macro program that might be intercepting certain keystrokes?

I'm guessing that BIS have included a scripting command action to turn on/off the lazer and flashlight. If you can find those commands (someone may chime in) you can try to execute it directly to isolate the issue down to your keyboard.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I personally think that this might mean that BIS is not considering this the last iteration of Arma. Maybe they are waiting for better pchardware that could allow a lot more features in a further enhanced engine.

I'm hoping they're planning to rewrite the engine from the ground up. This one is showing its age.

I'm pretty sure I heard AmoredSheep talk about a new armor penetrating system. Obviously there is still hitpoints but it doesn't affect the vehicles as much as before.

Seems about right for the T-34...

Though I'll admit I have no idea how much the T-34 could stand, but if it could be taken down leathaly by anti aircraft guns, I'm pretty sure it could be taken out by a BTR.

It's not right. No anti-aircraft guns of this calibre were killing T34s. The whole German Panzer fleet had to be upgraded with 75mm long's just to deal with the early war models.

That AA gun was an 88, thats was HUGE!

Caliber for penetrability is set in ammo config of all types of "bullet" based rounds (incl SABOT). Every bullet that hits a fire geometry calculates how far it penetrates depending on fire geometry material, actual speed and caliber.

You can try various guns aganst armored APCs and you should see i.e. that .50cal. M107 rifle can kill crew of many vehicles now. Another example is a concrete wall that stops small arms but not the high caliber armour piercing round.

High explosive "shells" dont calculate with various calibers, their penetration is based just on actual speed against fire geometry material.

Found this following the lead you gave me. Sounds really cool.

So... here's my guess. Either the round is special, or it's just a bug.

Can anyone tell me if the german version of OA can be language switched as to be compatible with an english version of ARMA2?

Cheers

Crusader

Has anyone been able to tell the gunner of a T-72 to change ammo type as commander? when i tell him to reload HE he does nothing and i must change to gunner and change it myself... also had this problem in a multiplayer game quite annoying.

Man this 4th of July weekend is killing me! I choose one day shipping and then remembered it won't come till Tuesday!

This sucks....

Can anyone tell me if the german version of OA can be language switched as to be compatible with an english version of ARMA2?

I've installed the german version (DVD/Morphicon, Ver 1.52) into A2-Folder (guess same as you want it to): you can choose via "main menu" -> "Optionen" -> "Spieloptionen" between German and English language any time you want to - back and forth - all the game needs is a restart after having done the language switch in order to submit the changes ...

Me I like german text in menu and I mostly play without subtitles (don't like text on the screen while playing) ... when I got something wrong by listening or didn't get the point of an ingame conversation for whatever reason I go inside "Gesprächslog" and read what I missed ;)

Anyway, I don't think that A2/German mixed with OA/English should make any troubles ...

Man this 4th of July weekend is killing me! I choose one day shipping and then remembered it won't come till Tuesday!

This sucks....

Sprocket has no such holiday ;)

after doing this and that in setup, patching and stuff having just played first misson ... and ... big surprise ! compared to my A2-Experience related to FPS OA gives me more ... now I get very acceptable values of > 40, ok some drops here and there but altogether the OA-Expansion is running much better on my rig than A2 does (FPS < 30 on Chernarus, Utes had always a good flow for me with > 40, too) ... even Viewing Distance can be raised up to 4000 and it doesn't impact performance noticeable. That's worth a big :bounce3: !

Top atmosphere in Takistan, ambient seems very realistic, you can almost feel the heat out there.

My copy of OA is still in the post, so I cannot answer my own question, which is: Are the weapon-mounted IR lasers compatible with any of the basic ArmA2 weapons? How are they implemented?

My curious mind would like to know!

Sprocket has no such holiday ;)

Too late for me now haha, I'm starting to wish I went digital :o

It's not right. No anti-aircraft guns of this calibre were killing T34s.

Wrong! The german 88 anti aircraft gun was actually converted and used as the main gun on the Tiger tank solely as a result of the success of the anti aircraft version being used as a tank stopper.

I kinda have the same issue. I dont even KNOW what key to press for Flashlight. I also can't get AI to use IR Lasers either. :confused:

I'm waiting for the boxed version, so I can't check, but does OA provide an L-39ZA for Takistan? Could recreate the beginning of "Tomorrow Never Dies" with that. ;)

I'm waiting for the boxed version, so I can't check, but does OA provide an L-39ZA for Takistan? Could recreate the beginning of "Tomorrow Never Dies" with that. ;)

yeah the Takistani Army has the L-39ZA