Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Hi guys...

A bit of a techie question for a "general" thread, but... while I eagerly await my copy of OA I was wondering...

I vaguely remember seeing one of the OA maps in some promo graphic or other and I think there was a "lake"... can anyone confirm that? and, better still - give us an idea if it's made from "pond objects" or "sea"???

Seems like such a simple thing compared to all the new bells and whistles, but AI going swimming when they really shouldn't has caused mayhem on many a User Map recently, so I guess I'm just hoping against hope that BIS have done something about either the water object itself, or the AI's understanding of it....

B

Edited by Bushlurker

there is a lake in the north "desert" side of the map, it is made from the "sea"

i don't recall any pond objects anywhere in takistan, but in zargabad there is one by a dam.

There are a few nicely placed ponds on Takistan. This one huge Valley that has a few ponds in it.

There are a few more around, but they aren't marked on the map. :/

If they were, planning things would be much easier.

I like to call Arma a sandbox game that works pretty much like LEGO - you buy it not just because you want to have a nice car from the main picture on its box, do you?

:cool:

Best quote of the year.

Anybody knows something of Audio Samples? here i can set up to 128. Is there any impact on performance/quality? I didn´t noticed any changes between them.

hey guys, I bought OA today, and i see that the version is the 1.06.

So I am still able to play with other guys or not?

How do I merge the awesomeness on Steam?

I've got both Arma 2 and OA installed here, but I don't think they are merged together to make combined operations. Am I missing something?

Not confirmed Features:

Fully functional 3-D Real Time Editor

64bit .exe for more RAM Support

Ability to modify your Weapon àla MW2

Ability to shoot from the passenger seat

Has any of this been confirmed to be true? Excuse my laziness, but I don't feel like reading through 700 pages...

Has any of this been confirmed to be true? Excuse my laziness, but I don't feel like reading through 700 pages...

Like A2's 3D editor probably.

64bit .exe for more RAM Support

Not a different .exe, but ArmA2's new patch(1.7), and possibly OA's new one(.52) supports more RAM now.

Ability to modify your Weapon àla MW2

Nope

Ability to shoot from the passenger seat

Nope

Like A2's 3D editor probably.

A2 had a real-time 3d editor?

I can't get MLRS to work. I get the artillery targeting map, but it doesn't move.

Anybody knows something of Audio Samples? here i can set up to 128. Is there any impact on performance/quality? I didn´t noticed any changes between them.

It should be a higher quality sound but you are unlikely to notice it unless you have a high quality audio card. There shouldn't be much of a performance impact, and if you have a good audio card there shouldn't be any impact at all (as all processing will be done by the card's processor rather than the CPU).

A2 had a real-time 3d editor?

Yes see below:

Press alt-e in the main menu of the game. You'll get the 3d editor, which starts in map mode first.

However it's very clunky at the moment, you may or may not want to use it.

It should be a higher quality sound but you are unlikely to notice it unless you have a high quality audio card. There shouldn't be much of a performance impact, and if you have a good audio card there shouldn't be any impact at all (as all processing will be done by the card's processor rather than the CPU).

Actually the sounds are all done on the CPU because BI chose i different soundengine for ArmA2, and thus changing this setting can give a big impact if you are limited by your CPU already, if you arent then you wont notice it.

(Though going from 16 to 128 is probably noticable, just try a 100 vs 100 AI firefight)

Also i think its related to the amount of samples played at the same time, not the quality of them.

Actually the sounds are all done on the CPU

Zuh? That's silly, why bog down the CPU more, what else are audio cards for?

Zuh? That's silly, why bog down the CPU more, what else are audio cards for?

If I remember the history correctly, they did originally use the sound card fully in Operation Flashpoint, however a lot of people had problems with bizarre things happening with the audio because different cards supported different features, or implemented them differently. So eventually they gave up and went with a fully-software audio engine so it would work and sound the same on all computers.

Based on our past experiences we will drop support for any sound HW acceleration and we will switch from OpenAL to XAudio2. This way all customers will get the same functionality (hopefully including reverberations) but in a robust manner (not having to fight with moody DirectSound drivers).

Suma's soft- and hardware update

With Microsoft's decision to remove the audio hardware layer in Windows Vista, legacy DirectSound 3D games will no longer use hardware 3D algorithms for audio spatialization. Instead they will have to rely upon the new Microsoft software mixer that is built into Windows Vista. This new software mixer will give the users basic audio support for their old Direct Sound games but since it has no hardware layer, all EAX® effects will be lost, and no individual per-voice processing can be performed using dedicated hardware processing.

OpenAL® and Windows Vista™

XAUDIO2

:(

According to classname list it seems Czech army has no medic in their ranks. Even german KSK with only five classes has one. I think it is quite annoying because there will be no possibility to make foot mission with ACR with medic without "borrowing" one from US or Germans. I remember it was same with ARMA 2 and russian special forces. I know it is just a detail but...

Is it just me or is there stuff missing in the intelligence tab at arma2.com like the L39 and Lee enfield. (And it says the MG36 is only in OA)

I don't know if there is anything else since i haven't got OA yet.

My game often crashes when i try to access custom filled ammo boxes... :(

Sometimes it hangs for a moment but most of the time it freezes... So i have to kill the exe.

Anyone else had this problem?

Wait for me guys I still havent got my copy of OA yet :rolleyes:

Play.com have posted it today though yippee

very true. :)

just don't forget about "out-of-the-box-content", because that's what gets you new customers. the editor then makes them stay. ;)

still today you hear people talk with nostalgia about the Cold War Crisis campaign. that's how that game got famous. the editor allowed it to stay where the campaign got it. or so i see it.

This i must say is how i got into the series, i played the campain, and a couple of single missions. Then though "wouldn't it be cool if . . ." then i saw the editor and been hooked eversince.

Steal the car ahh good times lol

:yeahthat:

Was the same for me, the campaign was superb, then you start going deeper into the series

I just checked out the new OA 1.52 Linux dedicated server thread created by Maruk and noticed that he said the following:

Also, I have to notify you that Arma 2 1.07 Linux Ded. server is not going live today as planned due to serious technical issues (to put it short: some of the multicore magic implemented by Sume in 1.07 is very hard to compile on Linux). I will keep you updated as the situation develops.

This would imply that the multicore improvements introduced in 1.07 are not implemented in Operation Arrowhead. Will this happen some time in the future?