Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Arma 2 1.07 is more advanced in some terms than OA (basically, in terms of multicore performance, memory management and file handling, OA is closer to A2 1.05 than A2 1.07). Why? It is very simple: 1.07 has reached relatively stable state only days ago so there was no chance to include this in OA for release.

Or course, we are working to merge all the new improvements in core engine to OA as soon as possible.

I duno if OA is LAA or not, but I have not yet experienced a out of memory error on it yet, and I feel safe betting that I won't. I previously had a constant battle against these out of memory erros and their CTD companion, until the problem was finnaly solved with patch 1.07. So if I am not having the memory erros in OA than the problem has likely been fixed for OA.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

I think for one, to make the characters more believable is to actually get rid of the cliche sayings heard in the game and as NFO said, inventing crazy characters as well would not be realistic. I think first, they should get good voice actors and actually talk with current members of the US Army and just interact with them, hell maybe if they permit, kind of shadow an active duty officer through day to day duties on and off the battlefield to give the writers a more solid and believable inspiration to create dialogue.

I agree. If they could have the gameplay of ARMA2 and the story/ quality of presentation, dialog, voice acting of Call of Duty Modern Warfare then it wouldnt just be immersive gaming it would be suck you into the battlefield and not let you go gaming!

.....I agree. If they could have the gameplay of ARMA2 and the story/ quality of presentation, dialog, voice acting of Call of Duty Modern Warfare then it wouldnt just be immersive gaming it would be suck you into the battlefield and not let you go gaming!

LOL WUT? Call of Duty Modern Warfare had the exact same characters ArmA2 and OA has just with better acting and were probably better written.

What i think most of us want is to GET AWAY from the unrealistic Cockiness and the "OMGz im so elitez becuaz im SF" attitude and more towards a realistic approach to the characters.

These are supposed to be regular people with advanced training put into a situation that sucks, and throughout the game it should show how they cope with it realistically. Sure you can have one cocky guy on the team but when everyone at every other second is like "Give me a sec miles, my shorts are cutting me in two!" or "Hah! Its Like a laser show at a raid man" thats when all believability flies out the window.

Though let me say this, from what ive seen of OA so far, is that it is 100 miles better than A2's acting. As can be heard on this youtube video:

MQxoPPtb1nA

Still for a game-development company this small, in this economy, with their budget and with the amount of support they give us, you cant possibly expect a product that is perfect and have Blackhawk Down quality acting (lol). This is one helluva series, and like with all BIS products they just keep getting better and better over time.

Edited by Sniper Pilot
Sprinkle a little fanboy ontop with some spicy critisim- makes for a good pie!

I agree. If they could have the gameplay of ARMA2 and the story/ quality of presentation, dialog, voice acting of Call of Duty Modern Warfare then it wouldnt just be immersive gaming it would be suck you into the battlefield and not let you go gaming!

BBZZZT Wrong! If the characters were more like the ones from OFP then it would be more immersive, by comparison MW2's characters are mainstream mostly emotionless or a silent protaganist, immersion is not just about pretty graphics and voice acting it's about connecting with your character, watching them experience things and seeing how they react and as a normal person not someone with a small spectrum of emotion

This is why OFP's campaign was so popular, Armstrong was like an actual person fresh from bootcamp and thrown into the ****storm, who does what he has to but experiences panic, anger, fear, loss, joy and other emotions that most 'mainstream commando's for wahtever reason cannot display.

You were on the edge of your seat when Armstrong was captured by the soviets, you were panicked the first time you thought you had victoriously taken the town only to hear someone on the radio say there was a squad of T-72's headed your way, you felt fear when you were alone int he forest trying to avoid soviet patrols, we felt Victor's anguish when Liz was killed, his anger, we were just as ready to bring it to the soviets as he was.

And why? Because these were characters with a profile, people who expressed emotion and thought, spoke just as we probably would, they weren't always looking for a fight, they didn't eat sleep and breath war, they didn't even want it but they had to do it.

And that is what it so immersive, the ability to connect with our characters.

If MW2 didn't have the graphics and wasn't fast paced gunning and action all the time do you think as many people would still have enjoyed it much less the story especially since the story has been said to be the worst of the series by veterans?

You just can't connect with someone who does nothing but shooting, who rarely speaks, who shows no or little emotion.

For example, in the MW2 mission where..

as a US soldier you saw a parliment-like building destroyed and the sky filled with flame would you charge in headlong bravely or would you experience a pause and loss of moral, feel despair from the sight your country in ruin.

When the nuke goes off what would your reaction be? Would you feel the impulse to search for survivors? Would you panic from the dire situation? Would you feel loss, confusion, fear, anger? Do you think you could remain 100% focused and collected?

Our hollywood heroes face some pretty tough scenerio's yet they always seem to be prepared for it and not phased by it and I imagine most people would respond 'well training prepares you for that' to which I respond cow pie, training can prepare you but excercise and experience are two very different things.

Edited by NodUnit

Holy amazing improvement on training!!! Got up to First Aid with almost no issues, it's sooooo much clearer.

....You were on the edge of your seat when Armstrong was captured by the soviets, you were panicked the first time you thought you had victoriously taken the town only to hear someone on the radio say there was a squad of T-72's headed your way, you felt fear when you were alone int he forest trying to avoid soviet patrols, we felt Victor's anguish when Liz was killed, his anger, we were just as ready to bring it to the soviets as he was. ...

Post of the year! I couldn't of described OFP:CWC/R's campaign any better than that!

With every release BIS learns more and more. They gradually improved upon their mistakes, all the while inserting new features and the new opportunities for faults that follow. And you can see the effort that was put into OA, It shows.

Edited by Sniper Pilot
Nominate NodUnit's post for "BEST POST OF 2010"

Post of the year! I couldn't of described OFP:CWC/R's campaign any better than that!

With every release BIS learns more and more. They gradually improved upon their mistakes, all the while inserting new features and the new opportunities for faults that follow. And you can see the effort that was put into OA, It shows.

I really like there is consequences for your actions.

In the first OA campaign mission (no spoliers here) I was fearful not only of being shot, but of accidentally shooting a civvy as they are dressed very much like the militia. Other games don't give you that kind of immersion...

do you guys think its worth buying arma 2 and OA? i know there will be lots of weapons and features. but for OA obviously theres gonna be addons made for it. so is just buying OA worth it?

do you guys think its worth buying arma 2 and OA? i know there will be lots of weapons and features. but for OA obviously theres gonna be addons made for it. so is just buying OA worth it?
Well, you could get ArmA 2 Combined Operations for $10 US more than just OA (most places have Combined Operations for ~$49.99 vs. OA for ~$39.99)...it would be a judgement call on your part whether all the USMC/CDF/ChDKZ/Napa/Russian units, two maps (Chernarus and Utes), and included campaign and missions are worth the extra $10 (some people don't care for the A2 campaign).

would i have to install the patches for arma 2. even though all of the time ill be playing OA

would i have to install the patches for arma 2. even though all of the time ill be playing OA

you'll get a patch with Arrowhead that will update your ArmA2 to the latest version which is 1.07 i think.

Yes, ArmA2 will be patched to 1.07 when you install OA 1.51. Then you DL & install OA 1.52 patch and can enjoy better performance.

Anyone else noticed that the Delta force soldiers have a tendency to engage the enemy with their pistols? Thats neat at 10-20 meters. but i had one drop beside me and open up with his pistol at the guy i was trying to drop 200 meters away.

I knew Delta were "Elite" but that elite?

As long as its not just loads of quotes cut and pasted from aliens like every other FPS out there.....

Anyone else noticed that the Delta force soldiers have a tendency to engage the enemy with their pistols? Thats neat at 10-20 meters. but i had one drop beside me and open up with his pistol at the guy i was trying to drop 200 meters away.

I knew Delta were "Elite" but that elite?

Yeah i have noticed a tendancy for them to get their sidearms out, not really noticed when/where they do it though. I can happen alot when they go to ammo boxes (at least in ARMA2 it can).

If the delta guy has a beard he becomes even more elite and just uses his bear hands! :)

If the delta guy has a beard he becomes even more elite and just uses his bear hands! :)

They have hands like bears?:eek:

Today I've got my travel order and I'm ready to move to Takistan, tomorrow evening ;)

So I'm really looking forward putting OA retail into my rig's dvd, after having heard so much good stuff about it from you guys who already enjoy playing it.

Just 2 little things that I wanna be sure of before installing tomorrow:

1) Until now I'm playing A2 (retail) @XP 32. It's installed on my 2nd hdd (E:\). My intention is to merge OA with A2 so I just wanna start playing all with "ArmAOA.exe" in the future. The right way for that is to select (when prompted during OA-Inst.) same folder as A2 is located (in my case E:\...\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\), right ?

2) My profiles (I don't use command line param "-profiles ...") are located @"c:\Documents and Settings\[my name]\..." (= default) ... so will this be the default place for the OA-profiles, too ?

Until tomorrow evening I'll go watching some videos provided by some of you :cool:

Got my copy today :-)

1) Correct

2) OA profiles are in the same place as ArmA 2 profiles so you can reuse all your missions etc

Sending the mother on a hunt tomorrow while i'm at school. She is armed with a picture of the case and the name and is instructed to ask the gamestation folks if they have a game called operation arrowhead in stock

Sending the mother on a hunt tomorrow while i'm at school. She is armed with a picture of the case and the name and is instructed to ask the gamestation folks if they have a game called operation arrowhead in stock

LOL ArmA 2: Operation Motherhood. ''MotherBear to BearCub, we have the package.... but not untill you clean your room'' ;)

Edited by Sniper Pilot
2, cant get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong... But I see SMAW rockets, but no actual SMAW launcher.... :(

LOL ArmA 2: Operation Motherhood. ''MotherBear to BearCub, we have the package.... but not untill you clean your room'' ;)

I wanna see the look on his face when his mom accidentaly buys Dragon Rising. :bounce3:

@sbsmac thx 4 confirming

meanwhile having watched some vids, thx for providing them - can't wait 'til tomorrow evening, I guess.

real ambient for playing desert scenarios couldn't be more immersive, high temperatures & no rain here @home :D

I wanna see the look on his face when his mom accidentaly buys Dragon Rising. :bounce3:

I would disown her.