Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Is it just me or did the screen shake when the bullets hit the truck next to the player at 00:09?:eek: 'Cause that was :icon_dj:

Is it just me or did the screen shake when the bullets hit the truck next to the player at 00:09?:eek: 'Cause that was :icon_dj:

Yeah this does occur, near by explosions cause camera shake. ;)

Sort of freaks you out when it first happens, definite realization that you need to move the **** away.

Looks more like view kicking from firing the Rifle, as it occurs whenever he seems to fire at them.

View kicking would be a nice addon :)

The landscape was beautiful on the apache's flyover, so varied and bumpy it really is a step up.

How will the performance compare to Arma 2 at the same settings? Higher, lower, or (hopefully atleast) the same?

Are there some videos available (YouTube, etc.) which show the AI of the enemy and especially of the own people?

I agree, video is cool. One question for guys who already had a chance to test OA out: does the AI still have 1337 special skillz that enable them to hide in solid rock as in A2? :)

I agree, video is cool. One question for guys who already had a chance to test OA out: does the AI still have 1337 special skillz that enable them to hide in solid rock as in A2? :)

LOL

As well as become uber bush turrets!!

Judging by the responses in the Q&A I'd hazard a guess that the AI will act like they do in the latest Arma 2 beta. I hope they've slipped some cool upgrades in though. I wonder how the AI and IR lasers will work...hope it's easy to enable in missions.

Why did it only get 70%?

Probably because BI didnt give them x amout of money to get 100% :p

Why did it only get 70%?

what do you mean, only? you can't reasonably expect more than something between 70 and 80. and 70 isn't bad at all, it's just that nowadays, 90s are thrown about in ridiculous quantities, making anything below look average at best.

Why did it only get 70%?

Judging by a horrible, horrible google translation you literally have to decrypt, they're complaining over a short campaign, narrow audience, poor AI and bugs.

And I suppose that would be valid complaints. But since in comparison, they'd have to give it like 130% score when judging multiplayer and editing, it balance out.

Yeah, I assume most reviews will baiscally disregard the fullness of the multiplayer goodness that arma2/OA is :)

Spoken by someone who still thinks "There's singleplayer in arma2?"

I know the developers said the campain is more OFP style this time round but does anyone know if it feels like OFP if you get my meaning. For some reason OFP campain was, i dunno, it kinda drew me in,you know?

Anyways i hope so!

Are there some videos available (YouTube, etc.) which show the AI of the enemy and especially of the own people?

The official BIS videos and campaign videos do.

I have them on my Youtube channel (links below).

This official video has towns people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFDoTZliyu8

Campaign gameplay with spoilers removed in HD:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iB2U9dK87A

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ijCyj7f5hw

Deadfast also has a lot of videos translated from Czech.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DeadfastCZ

Edited by jblackrupert

Judging by a horrible, horrible google translation you literally have to decrypt, they're complaining over a short campaign, narrow audience, poor AI and bugs.

And I suppose that would be valid complaints. But since in comparison, they'd have to give it like 130% score when judging multiplayer and editing, it balance out.

i guess they should consider that its just a standalone expansion too, not a full game...

Considering the complexity and size of the game the AI isn't that bad

a lot of other games us level design to cheat and make the AI appear smarter

then it really is. (IE.. F.E.A.R).

We'll just have to wait until everyone has NASA and NSA computers

in their homes before AI reaches the level that makes their behavior

close to humans.

I know the developers said the campain is more OFP style this time round but does anyone know if it feels like OFP if you get my meaning. For some reason OFP campain was, i dunno, it kinda drew me in,you know?

Anyways i hope so!

that's because we played from the perspective of an every guy, someone we could all be, just a grunt from the beginning, no command authority, none of that special forces stuff, he was just a grunt who fought for his life, got lucky sometimes, was not a lover of war but knew it was his duty and in the end it came down to 'him or me'.

The atmosphere was also far more desperate and darker as well, on A2's case you had prostitution and war crimes, in OFP you had families murdered, hearing about loved ones lost, ways of life destroyed and seeing the effects of war..IE the graveyard scene and people getting sick and so on.

Things weren't always a "Hey we won!" for example the city ambush, you thought you won but suddenly a group of T-72's come rolling in and you have to quickly make your way to a nearby forest.. A mission failed or completed had reprocussions as time went on, just because the mission failed didn't mean it was the end.

Just look at Victor, he didn't want anything to do with the war and he didn't want to enter for fear of putting other lives in danger, but in the end he was forced into it and he lead the resistance, but that doesn't mean that he loved to do it and the only reason many resistance fighters stayed was because they had nothing left to lose, their lives had essentially been destroyed with the invasion.

People we also a bit more mature about the joking and there was more of it, and not the childish kind as such "that's not what your sister said", that is something I would expect to hear out of a child not an adult. They also weren't mainstream machomen, more like a normal person who knows their duty and what they must do, it doesn't mean they like it vs the "guns! tanks! hell yeah!" Although to give razor team credit they actually showed some emotion when they lost one of their own.

sure we all love the equipment and sure there are some screwey people out there but the truth is war is nothing pretty and it effects your mind in more ways than one which Operation Flashpoint conveyed.

If BIS went away from the special forces teams and put us back into the boots of a grunt who works his way up the ranks and at the same time is less mainstream macho and more "this is my duty, I don't love it but I have to do it" then perhaps it would feel more at home.

Edited by NodUnit

that's because we played from the perspective of an every guy, someone we could all be, just a grunt from the beginning, no command authority, none of that special forces stuff, he was just a grunt who fought for his life, got lucky sometimes, was not a lover of war but knew it was his duty and in the end it came down to 'him or me'.

Just like Victor, he didn't want anything to do with the war, he didn't want to enter and put the lives of those he knew at risk but he was forced to and came to accept it, that doesn't mean he loved it.

Characters in OFP also seemed more human as well and less mainstream macho man, for example we had the guy who was obssessed with military equipment, the playful joking that wasn't something you'd expect a kid to say "That's not what your mom said, that's not what your sister said" vs "Yeah they must look across the ocean and feel pretty scared" 'speaking of scared what's that smell, did you fill your shorts'? "I don't know, here want to take a look?"

Just general back and forth in good clean fun, they also had a bit more moral, Armstrongs want to go back to Everon and help the local populous after being in their shoes for a few days, the commanding officers want to do so but know they had to secure themselves first.

Things weren't always a "Hey we won!" for example the city ambush, you thought you won but suddenly a group of T-72's come rolling in and you have to quickly make your way to a nearby forest.. A mission failed or completed had reprocussions as time went on, just because the mission failed didn't mean it was the end.

OFP's atmosphere was about desperation and the darker parts of war, the graveyard scene for example and the resistance fighters who only fought because they had nothing left to lose.

It was more of a "I don't like this but I have to do it" rather than "Guns and tanks hell yeah!" sure we all love the equipment and sure there are some screwey people out there but the truth is war is nothing pretty and it effects your mind in more ways than one which Operation Flashpoint conveyed.

If BIS went away from the special forces teams and put us back into the boots of a grunt who fights to live and works his way up the ranks and at the same time is less mainstream macho and more "this is my duty, I don't love it but I have to do it" then perhaps it would feel more at home.

I hereby declare this the "Most Insightful and Informative Post of the Year". We really do need more campaigns like the ones in good old OFP. :)

Keep going down the page and see what is shown at the bottom of the MP screen HERE No more silly threads about "oh i cant get in to servers to many unknown mods =Fixed lol