Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Good looking new content and very impressive video . The New Hmmwvs look good and nice to see the 6X there .

Well I'm stuffed for a week or 2 :P

The pictures are stunning! :eek:

And the video is full of great surprises! Nice, BIS... I mean, great job!

Aren't those ULB AH-6X only use as demonstrators/testing platforms? Thought the MQ-8B Fire Scout made it into real use in US forces.

Anyway looking forward to more great features and infos about OA!!

please update the official OA website too :)

Aren't those ULB AH-6X only use as demonstrators/testing platforms? Thought the MQ-8B Fire Scout made it into real use in US forces.

Anyway looking forward to more great features and infos about OA!!

This model and gameplay features were inspired by this video

Yep that first screener is so *wooooooooohaaaaaaa*.

We develope new vegetation shader, thats look better but also is more performance friendly :)

We develope new vegetation shader, thats look better but also is more performance friendly :)

That's some great news!

Do you think there is any chance this could be used for Chernarus' vegetation as well?

Hmm, it will take some work on data side. Blending noise was coded to alpha chanell of difuse colour instead of normal map now, so its save some time when hw rasterizer was switched to other texture and its save videomemory, because there is not needed alpha in normal map as in original ARMA2.

At first I thought the pictures were real, just to show what environment they were modelling on...

Wow!

Finally some proper media, it's looking very nice can't wait to play it :cool:

Those are awesome news indeed! Could you share some info on the vegetation LODs and related problem - twitching? When trees appear to have much more volume when viewed from short range than they have when viewed from long range? This makes concealment assesment rather difficult...

Way how we now blending is little bit different, so we will se if you will find it better. Generaly, making lods from vegetation, where is not simple surface as at obvious 3D model is complex problem. There are not simple solutions.

...When trees appear to have much more volume when viewed from short range than they have when viewed from long range? This makes concealment assesment rather difficult...

Yes please BIS adress this somehow :D

It is really odd, when for instance on Chernarus you going through woods in which it is a bit more dense, you think you are safe and concealed, but then try to Teamswitch to a guy 400m away and you will get the bad awakening, that you are almost Naked in the woods watched from bigger (300m+) distances.... :(

Good Job anyway!

From here.

A bit OT, but what's that Game II experimental engine some of those gallery shots are showing? Or is that top secret stuff? :p

Hmm, it will take some work on data side. Blending noise was coded to alpha chanell of difuse colour instead of normal map now, so its save some time when hw rasterizer was switched to other texture and its save videomemory, because there is not needed alpha in normal map as in original ARMA2.

So is that a no? Are the new shaders only going to be present in OA and not be patched into ArmA2? How will that work in terms of compatability between the two and for example people who own both?

1) that was some internal tests with very hipoly, hi detail and hi model variation vegetation

2) Chernarus trees will work in OA, because their shader is still supported there (there is backward compatibility), AO trees cant be used in ARMA2, because use different new shaders.

HOT

so hot

stryker MGS? sweet! almost correct 1114/1151, sweet! CROWS for the hmv? sweet! more bradlys than you can shake a stick at? sweet!

and germans? did not expect to see that!

cant wait to get back to conus to try this out :cool:

also, i watched the trailer a couple more times and still cant quite tell what uniform the US guys are wearing. dont have the BW here to see it in anything elce other than the lowest res (even the it took 10 min to stream)

Edited by That guy

This model and gameplay features were inspired by this video

Is it possible to pilot the same model aswell?

What I mean is, you fly the littlebird in from a remote location, land it and have 2 units board the chopper on that spot and fly it from there.

This is a blessed day.

When i got home from work i saw a newspost about Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad linking to a new preview and a fresh batch of cool screenshots and lots of info about the game.

Now i take a look at the BI forums and a find an OA trailer!

Jizzzz in mah pants is all i say!

1) that was some internal tests with very hipoly, hi detail and hi model variation vegetation

Cool, what did the tests tell you?

2) Chernarus trees will work in OA, because their shader is still supported there (there is backward compatibility), AO trees cant be used in ARMA2, because use different new shaders.

Ok, so then Chernarus trees will still use their old shaders and thus will look/perform exactly the same. That's a bit of a shame, but it's certaily a good selling point for OA. ;)

When we did tests we found that for world real density and variability is faster HW needed, i expect around 2015, also that is not good idea to merge textures of lods to single texture due streaming problems and many other technical things, that was implemented into Linda or engine after that experiments.