Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Can't wait for the expansion.. it will be a welcome addition to the game.

I've every hope that the bugs will be systematicly dealt with.. and yes, 1.03 has alot to answer for too.. but it will all come right in the end!

Good things come to those who wait they say, but not only that, there is nothing on the market that has the same potential as this game..

and itll be worth double that.

well said

BIS announce that they're going to release an expansion pack, and very few details. People read those few details and somehow come to the conclusion that BIS are going to break into their house and take a dump in their kitchen sink while they're out.

There's some really special people in this community, I'll tell you that much.

Let's hope for those who screenlags in big cities that we get a performance fix in case Takestan city is gonna be part of the expansion :D

Forgive the image quote, but that would make for an awesome ArmA map... Maybe shrink the city a little bit and throw in an airbase on either side of the map.

Edited by W0lle

Here's a thought, since a map like Chenerus is the size of a small city anyway, why not have the new campaign take place in a similar landmass but 90% of it is this huge city. There would out lying smaller towns and deserts in the rest of the map.

I really pray that BIS can increase their efficiency to do things. Hire 1000x coders to fix all games from past 3 years you have released and then concenterate to next things after certain amount of 98% happiness of all customers. I am opposite all western units and culture so bring me damn african civil war/sino-indian or any war and geo location not including anglo-europian forces and languages (too bad that 97.2 % generally of internet players BIS games seems to from this countries when I have kept stats for 7 years). I can just ask you get your organization and workload to order all this mess being around for years and adding new release wont make it any easier but new cash is never bad for you.

For better future willing to you.

Personally, I'd like to see a showdown of the U.S. Army vs. the Chinese army, just so that this game will smite down OFP: DR. And if somebody throws in tactical/strategic nukes, then all the better.

There is a single nuke in Arma2 campaign already. I could feel the heat ;) Seriously though, what does a nuke bring to the game?

---

A few observations:

1) Takistan is referenced in the Chernarus campaign, although memory fails me as to how it was used. But the exp. will take place three years after? How can this be? Something in the lines of a second Iraq war or something?

2) As the gameplay seems to get stuff back from OFP by letting us play different characters throughout the campaign (although I've learned to like the Razor approach as well), and Takistan references in Chernarus campaign, one question needs to be answered: Will the player meet Razor team in the Takistan campaign, even if he does not control them? (hint hint ;))

3) Not sure about the approach. Someone buys the exp. and finds out he have to buy a full Arma2 game in order to play the new online games because the online missions are using Arma2 units? Should original Arma2 be sold at an extreme discount for 'double buyers'? Sorry, I just get a fishy feeling about this.

4) Also, the exp. is promising new 'features' and technologies that never made it into Arma2 due to time constraints. I'm worried that the original Arma2 content will not be able to utilize these fully. Wrt FLIR as a hypo 'tech': How can the Cobra get FLIR same as new Apache if the Cobra never got the action to activate it in the first place? A nice parallell thought would be exp. giving us bump mapping which the older models didn't have. Wouldn't it be better to get all units from both games up to the same standard? Also, wouldn't this be a lot more friendly to consoles?

5) In the campaign, allow player to have some control over time. Like, it is (in some missions) up to the players discression as to at what time he wants to undertake the mission. Daytime? Dusk with moonlight aid? Or dawn without moonlight aid? Improves the replayability.

6) Some sort of 'wait until' or 'wait for x minutes' (within reason, using skipTime) feature in some of the missions could be nice. Maybe waiting for better conditions or a blocking guarding tank that you know will most likely be leaving at a certain time or exiting and setting up camp for the night - if all you have is a rifle, taking out unprotected crew is a nice option.

7) Recon missions, or missions where the recon element is the main and most time consuming part of it. Very long and complex missions like Razor Two and Manhattan would be most welcome, I frigging love those!!

8) Takistan campaigns claims to have specop missions in it. Please keep in mind that special operations involves more than blow up stuff in the night while designing the campaign. Missions involving simply gaining trust would be very cool. A military 'simulation' for me is more than just the fighting.

9) Never do mission starts (unless in the defense) 2-300 meters from enemy positions, like in OFP and Arma1 campaigns.

10) One thing I have been missing in all BIS campaigns has been proper use of nightly illumination. It's always about those damned overpowered NVGs (although bad lighting conditions have helped reduce their effectiveness). Illumination harrasement works wonders against NVGs, especially in ACE since many players turn off autogain.

11) Similarly, why doesn't enemy ever use smokescreens if they need to relocate? More of smokescreens and relocations instead of simply fighting uninspiredly to their death :) Would be nice to see some dynamical 'meeting ups' and joining up of units who are growing thin instead of fighting to the last man.

12) Although I'm no big fan of deserts, I'm hoping that the landscape is huge enough to support tank battles. I want plenty of deadspace between cities, which should be at least Porto sized. I'm sure hoping for less trees. I'm sick of them now. I can't see anything through them, but the enemy AI will always spot me. Pluss at anything above low texture settings, my performance takes a massive hit around certain trees.

13) I would have loved to see an included Unified (or original) Sahrani, complete with the extra roads of South Sahrani, as an official updated island that everyone would have. Although I have nothing against addon islands, they are typically too small and/or too little detailed to use for dynamical stuff. Also, many prefers to remain as addon free as possible wrt mission design.

Ok, hoping this post isn't so long that the devs ignores it :)

Maybe you should redo this instead of making a new game

What a section of the Arma 2 community thinks about Operation Arrowhead

I appreciate that all the BIS staff can't work towards bug fixing, but maybe they could do something else than make a new game? They could redo some of the sounds ( Unless there not meant to be placeholders.)

This seems a big kick in the goolies to the faithful people who bought Arma 2 with all it's bug, and are sitting patiently for it to be patched. I don't want to have to spend another £20 to play a game that's not even working, and I don't want the community to be split into Arrowhead and vanilla players.

If anything Arrowhead should be a free expansion pack. I've seen greater and faster thing's produced by the community itself. The VOPsound mod, the PMC Apache, Avgani and Afghan the A.C.E team will probably meet or surpass the quality of this expansion. And the best thing about them is that there free, but Arrowhead won't be.

Oh god, another one jumping the bandwagon without reading the thread...

BIS is not abandoning the original ARMA 2!

All the details on how the development process will work can be found in this very thread.

Oh god, another one jumping the bandwagon without reading the thread...

BIS is not abandoning the original ARMA 2!

All the details on how the development process will work can be found in this very thread.

Do you think he's actually gonna bother to read it? That TG forum thread he linked had YOUR little list of details about the expansion, and people still bitch, and then drag the bitching from that forum to this forum. So clearly he can't be bothered to read the sane posts in that 4 page thread, I doubt we can expect him to wade through 52 pages of people repeating the same shit. It's almost like we have the beginnings of an inter-forum bitching daisy chain.

Edited by Steakslim

... It's almost like we have the beginnings of an inter-forum bitching daisy chain.

Hi Steakslim

More like a circle jerk.

I think the best solution is to post the details on the BIS Community Wiki then just point people at it. Saves saying the same thing over and over and over again.

All you have to do then is post a link with these comments either side of it:

Read This: link to Wki page Then either edit you previous post so it makes some sense, or replace your whole post with one word: "Nevermind"

Kind Regards walker

This seems a big kick in the goolies to the faithful people who bought Arma 2 with all it's bug, and are sitting patiently for it to be patched. I don't want to have to spend another £20 to play a game that's not even working, and I don't want the community to be split into Arrowhead and vanilla players.

ZOMG not this again, please!!!!!!!

ArmA2 will be patched, even though Arrowhead is under development.

The community was split into OFP and Resistance players back in 2002

The community was split into ArmA and Queens Gambit player back in 2007

The community will be split into ArmA2 and Arrowhead players

Please stop complaining about this 'splitting' thing. It's nothing different at other games with expansions.

If you don't have the expansion you might have the feeling of being left out, welcome to the wonderful world of capitalism. :)

You don't wanna pay for the expansion, well then don't by it. I doubt there is a law in your country which force you to buy the expansion.

If anything Arrowhead should be a free expansion pack. I've seen greater and faster thing's produced by the community itself. The VOPsound mod, the PMC Apache, Avgani and Afghan the A.C.E team will probably meet or surpass the quality of this expansion. And the best thing about them is that there free, but Arrowhead won't be.

Of course Arrowhead must be free!

Screw the people who spent their time working on it, they don't have a family to feed, no bills to pay and hey they don't even need food - they are just game designers, to hell with them.

Some of you are so naive I wonder if you come straight of the kindergarten because only those still believe that everything is for free and you have only to ask for or demand it.

The PMC Apache will surpass the quality of the BIS Apache? For sure it will with its model and textures from around 2001 (not meant to bash the PMC guys).

There is a single nuke in Arma2 campaign already. I could feel the heat ;) Seriously though, what does a nuke bring to the game?

Alright, well I'm a huge noob and haven't completed the campaign yet, but I don't recall having seen nukes in the editor? Nevertheless, I personally like nukes for mass destruction with a single warhead...I mean, it sure saves time if one nuke can wreak mass havoc on a city like Chernogorsk rather than sitting there for 30 minutes calling artillery just to get the same results.

And having a nuke handy sure doesn't help for when the zombies come (assuming somebody comes out with that mod at some point in the near future)...

If anything Arrowhead should be a free expansion pack. I've seen greater and faster thing's produced by the community itself.

So.. you simply expect BIS to make a new island, new artwork, us army units + opfor, a campaign + missions, etc as a free standalone expantion pack?

I need to have my house painted, would you mind doing it for free? :D .

@Gunnorz. Havent you ever heard of the concept of a fair days pay for a fair days work?

53 pages writen and i could find 12 posts wich fits in here. The ones from Ohara and Moderators. 2 screens were out and most people is in panic and writing noncenses.

Back to topic.

Go, devs Go... World is spining faster and faster this days. To stay on train you dont want it to leave the station before you are on. Right.

Im looking forvard to this Operation Arrowhead expansion. Screens look promising.

Regards

MAj

Edited by mchide

Isn't 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division of Fort Lewis, WA named "Arrowhead", known from Colby Buzzell's blog - as Stryker brigade???

@Gunnorz. Havent you ever heard of the concept of a fair days pay for a fair days work?

So... we should start paying modders, then? :raisebrow:

Actually, come to think of it, due to the current status of ArmA II, I'm starting to feel more like supporting the modders than the devs...

Edited by St!gar

W0lle,

The only way to avoid repeating the same sentences within the next few hours is to spend a couple of extra-minutes to regroup all of "Ohara"'s statements and put'em into the first post of this topic.

I'm sure this will save you some time in the future, heh.

Regards,

TB

Some people clearly have no idea of how game development works and can't grasp that it's normal for a developer to work on more than one project at a time, it may even be vital for the company to survive - otherwise one failed product can bring them down.

Try a bit less whining and a little more understanding ;)

Not directed at anyone in particular.

I think this expansion is great news. Shows that BIS will be supporting ArmA 2 for a very long time.