Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Hi Lads,

I was just wondering what you guys think the new features of Operation Arrowhead would be. And what would like it to be.

I just watched some OFP2 footage and their FLIR is good. Their voices are also good. (btw, this is illustrative, not to discuss the OFP2 game, which I don't prefer or dislike above ARMA 2, nor am I a fanboy of it):

So, for one I hope it will include:

- real FLIR

- render to texture for cockpit models (aircraft rotor and fixed, tanks)

- and gun slaved TrackIR.

- a more realistic damage/destruction model

- better smoke effects

- improved flight handling

- better voices

- improved more fluent animations

- better ballistics

It would be nice if someone of the staff could shoot some vids on the upcomming conference and showing us some of the new feature.

What will it take for you to buy Operation Arrowhead? For me it is the list mentioned above, .....what about you?

Edited by p75

Personal reply:

As for your "german comments and forums only 1 of 10 is buying it". Nothing new, especially the german community was also boycotting the ArmA1 expansion for the same "excuses". I stopped reading and commenting in the german forums long time ago, simply because that attitude there is pissing me off. It's even more worse than all deleted rantings here - typical german: cry and complain as much as you can - Sad but true.

I dont have that impression from Germans I meet, they are as good Europeans as any.

But there is definitely a culture for whining in the German part of the forum,

and I suspect this also partly explains the doomsday reviews that some German outlets made at the first release VS the more moderate reviews by the rest of the world.

Ontopic: I dont have much hope for any radical changes in the realism/features department,

and unless the map turns out really awesome or there is some other good factor out there, I will not buy it. A new Island, a few new models and a good SP campaign is not enough for me.

Edited by sparks50

My Wishes:

Better AI

CH-53 (doubt it)

counter measures and FLIR maybe (I don't need them)

Other Western nations; even if it is as simple as only giving them one unit.

A lot of other stuff but most importantly the answer to the following question...

What is the true identity of the Tasmanian Devil?

Edited by Jakerod

My wish is adding those objects to this expansion: (like CDF in the original game)

1. IDF (Israeli Air Force)

2. Marine Animals like sharks :)

3. First Aid moudels working to civilian side too - more like giving wounded civilians first aid :)

Personal reply:

It's even more worse than all deleted rantings here - typical german: cry and complain as much as you can - Sad but true.

I hear an official %$#@storm coming.

Perhaps you should consider taking that back or apologize to all the germans out there IMHO, but meh, freedom of speech I guess.

Counter-measures and better FLIR is definitely needed.

BIS could definitely take a look at OFP: DR's FLIR; although it's not fantastic, it's leaps and bounds above the crappy BIS version.

I hear an official %$#@storm coming.

Perhaps you should consider taking that back or apologize to all the germans out there IMHO, but meh, freedom of speech I guess.

Just FYI - I'm one of them, I know what I'm talking about. :p

And there's no storm coming in whatsoever as we stay on topic now, if someone wants to discuss that further he can send PMs. :)

What is the true identity of the Tasmanian Devil?

It's unlikely we'll ever ascertain the true identity of the Tasmanian Devil.

I mean, wouldn't it be a little late? Resistance takes place in 1983, Arrowhead in 2010 (?). Besides, the mystery is what makes it so interesting.

I hope the expansion would fix some of the long standing realism issues that have been there since OFP, for example:

- Proper weapon magazine/chamber simulation (ie. you can have a round in the gun separate from the magazine attached to it, and you need to pull the hammer if you fire it completely empty)

- Adjustable rifle sights, barrel heating for machine guns, removal of rounds remaining from HUD and replace with more realistic system

- Better vehicle damage system, no total destruction of a car for example no matter how much it is fired at with non-explosive rounds (and no magical everyone-inside-immediately-dies feature even if hit by an explosive)

- Improvements in the weapon systems (FCS for tanks, some improvements in the radar systems and guided weapons)

- Many other things I cannot remember now :)

Typical fps games have many of these features today, even "arcade" shooters that have better weapon simulation than ArmA 2. They were issues with OFP already, but understandable since the game was otherwise so revolutionary and it would really be the time to fix at least some of them

I am hoping for this as well. My only real gripe has been the ability to, "Reload," one time use launchers (I just rationalize it by assuming that the player can carry more than one and they aren't shown).

Anyhow, I am VERY excited for the new expansion. It is my hope that this will turn out like the original OFP and get a series of expansions. Hopefully, ArmA 2 and expansion(s?) will occupy their rightful places on my hard drive for a long time to come.

Edited by tsb247
typos and the like...

and one more thing...i wish that BIS will add woman soldiers to ARMA2:AH

Agreed . It's a modern army and everyone is part of it :)

Agreed . It's a modern army and everyone is part of it :)

Don't forget about the robots then... mmm sexy robots.

Any actual news coming from GamesCom today? Nothing from the sources I have. :dozingoff:

Any actual news coming from GamesCom today? Nothing from the sources I have. :dozingoff:

I thought I read it was on the 19th - 21st or something.

EDIT:

Watch for more during GamesCom, which takes place this August 19-23 in Cologne, Germany.

From the first post.

Damn you, memory.

Well, thanks for clearing that up.

No problem. I initially thought it was today too and was looking forward to the news but was sadly disappointed.

I'm a little concerned about people asking for mountainous terrain. In my experience the mountains just become unusable real estate, taking large portions of the map out of play for scenarios.

I think a Tonahl African-esque map is the best for creating a mix of environments and usability when it comes to creating scenarios. The AI just can't handle mountains, large hilly areas give the benefit of high ground that the AI can actually use. Going African also allows for the mixing of plenty of terrain types on the one island as well. In that case you can have desert, large open grassy/bushy areas, hills, villages and cities without it becoming silly.

One thing I have always wanted is open plan villages. A village of huts with plenty of space between them for firefights. As of now, the only thing resembling that idea that Ihave seen is villages that look like they've been created by a city planner with neighbourhood layouts, basically just a regular small town with huts in place of houses.

Edited by Baldman

Not to mention how AI crashes choppers and aircraft into the hillsides if the terrain is "too rough", I have that problem on my map, AI is almost useless when flying as its unable to use valleys.

Cool, we get some classic OFP bugs again ?:pray:

It´s kind of weird that they are up for an expansion while the already released product still has so many deficits and bugs.

Funny that there is an expansion while I still can´t end the original campaign because of the bugs.

I appreciate the effort but I guess BIS really needs to rethink it´s business strategies at some point and at first put all their energy into bugfixing and optimizing the existing game before rushing to new horizons that will unfortunally create another load of bugs and problems. :pet7:

or did I just read that BiS is currently working on an expansion for Arma 2.....while the core game itself needs a whole lot of attention still?

They dont deceive you. You're just not using them right.

Works on expansion CG started at january this year at Brno (ALTAR team) and after A2 release, rest of art people in Mnisek connected to that work. Programmers and designers now fixing A2 and branched project, when fixes are released as patches. As expect that design bugs in A2 are near to be solved (most of bugs is now in engine not in design), designers moved/will move to Arowhead. Programers as they work on expansion automaticaly fixing A2 engine, so dont worry.[/Quote]

And there's a thread for this.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83717

or did I just read that BiS is currently working on an expansion for Arma 2.....while the core game itself needs a whole lot of attention still?

Read the thread, or at least 2 pages of it. Any two random pages.

BIS is not ending support and patching for ArmA2.

Edit: I'm not spamming, 2 threads got merged!

Edited by TimRiceSE

Come on people, working on an expansion will allow BIS to make even more drastic fixes/upgrades to the core engine. So bugfixing should only increase due to the expansion. Stop being so ignorant.

This must be BIG CANNON of BI against OFP: DR :)

Let's hope it'll blow away OFP: DR from this planet once for all :D

I've finished campaign of ArmA2 without any difficulty so I'm really looking forward for this new game/EP.

I see we still haven't news from gamescom?