Sign in to follow this  
Jennik

ARMA 2 In-game HD Video released

I´m from spain and I would tell you guys to send the video to www.meristation.com just to warm up people...unless you are releasing by the 2nd quarter of 2009 in wich case there is no point.

I put it on the forums wink_o.gif

btw, that's the most important spanish videogames web smile_o.gif

Yep, as much as I like the trailer, there's many of it which is scripted cinematic, and we don't see enough of 1st person action and of the micro-AI thing kickin in.

Very nice looking but lacking what will define, or not, ArmA II.

Actual footage of what will there be different with micro-AI and AI in general would be very interesting to see. That trailer's AI seemed to be regular ArmA AI. That room assault seemed to be indeed scripted event.

So i agree. Trailer didn't show stuff what i wished to see. Bad vibes.

Quote[/b] ]Yep, as much as I like the trailer, there's many of it which is scripted cinematic, and we don't see enough of 1st person action and of the micro-AI thing kickin in.

Completely agree, I'm kind of sold on the level of graphics (I was with Arma) and knowing the extra things, the story, the features from interviews we have had already and this HD trailer sums all that up rather nicely indeed.

But ... BIS .... PLEEEAASE create a similar HD video, no music, with voice over walking through an AI V AI battle on the ground in open and close quarters and in a Forrest with you also in an AI team an ground level, so we can really get a close view of the AI and firefights.

The one thing that will stop me getting ARMA2 is the AI at this stage, seeing as that's the guts of the reason this sim exists ... having and enemy to fight. I would deffo need a demo before I actually get the game to check out the AI.

I think that someone with:

-video making experience

-addons and mods of the community

should very easily make an ArmA version of this teaser.So for me its just a patch.Nothing special.Sure I will buy the game.But please dont release it without some good PvP maps.Cause as I see the AI is dumb again(no problem for me though).

The AI is not even in final stage right now, so please spare such comments until they are approved by the final product. icon_rolleyes.gif

The AI is not even in final stage right now, so please spare such comments until they are approved by the final product. icon_rolleyes.gif

Is it from a reliable source or your word for it? whistle.gif

I think that someone with:

-video making experience

-addons and mods of the community

should very easily make an ArmA version of this teaser.So for me its just a patch.Nothing special.Sure I will buy the game.But please dont release it without some good PvP maps.Cause as I see the AI is dumb again(no problem for me though).

Agreed, doesn't show much ArmA doesn't do. Though, what I noticed is there's smoother(and faster) first person animations that don't make you feel like operating a mech.

Though I can't judge AI from the trailer, it might have been improved. BUT they're still lying in the middle of the street, which is a big no no.

Can't they put something like 'if "lyinginthemiddleoftheroad"; then execute "HOLYCRAPFINDCOVER,GTFOTHERE"' in AI scripts?

biggrin_o.gif

How do you guys know which of the soldiers in that video were controlled by AI? For all we know, the entire video could have been recorded with people controlling all units? It would make sense from a cinematic point of view.

I also have to add, this video was ferking oresome! Moar!

more would be good - especially showing of the AI working together as that would be one of the biggest things for me. maybe suppression effects in action on AI and user.

thing is, has BIS shown their hand too soon? people are excited. now build the fire to make a big event or it's going to die down into nitpicking and nonsense.

oh, and showing cutscenes really takes away the impressiveness of the scene as Arma2 is all about the capabilities of what it allows you as a player to do.

While the video looks good and animations, at least most of them seems to be improved, i wonder why, and if, BI are gonna "build" an animation for halo jump, since they have already stated that there will be implemented in the vanilla game:

the ones shown in the video is the parachute animation(rather stance than animation since it is static), just like in the ArmA1 halo scripts. Better check this one as proof of concept:

[...)] i wonder why, and if, BI are gonna "build" an animation for halo jump, since they have already stated that there will be implemented in the vanilla game

And your answer from the 2nd page of this thread...

[...]Please remember this video is from early alphaversion, there will be still lot of tuning. Falling parshutes dont have animation etc, please be patient, we are busy with all of these things and working on them.

Why people are so eager to find mistakes - its an "developers cut" from ArmA2 Alpha. Simple enjoy it and hope that next ArmA2 dev cut or blog isnt so far way. At least its much better than nothing, isn't it? biggrin_o.gif

Why people are so eager to find mistakes - its an "developers cut" from ArmA2 Alpha. Simple enjoy it and hope that next ArmA2 dev cut or blog isnt so far way. At least its much better than nothing, isn't it?  biggrin_o.gif

could not have said it better smile_o.gif

Why people are so eager to find mistakes - its an "developers cut" from ArmA2 Alpha. Simple enjoy it and hope that next ArmA2 dev cut or blog isnt so far way. At least its much better than nothing, isn't it?  biggrin_o.gif

Because we're all dicks and must analyze every frame of the vid for errors.

Because we're all dicks and must analyze every frame of the vid for errors.

Indeed  biggrin_o.gif

Video itself is fine. I like BIS's devteams usual music choices. Forest fighting scene was nice. It's just that... well... what i'm bitching and moaning on regular basis wasn't tossed at my face. Improved AI-system.

Did you guys see that pipeline glitching through the tree at 1:58?!?!

^ Obviously a joke, even though it's actually there, but I couldn't care less  tounge2.gif

Now for the good stuff:

Great to see rolling animation finally feels realistic. Can really shake down your focus.

Grass looks way better. Feels much more deeper and "random" (see 1:24) wink_o.gif

Shadow seems to be more natural looking (1:43 - shadow on the fence)

Nice light reflection effects (especially at 2:51)

Animated weapons (2:53) - hell yeah biggrin_o.gif

[...)] i wonder why, and if, BI are gonna "build" an animation for halo jump, since they have already stated that there will be implemented in the vanilla game

And your answer from the 2nd page of this thread...

[...]Please remember this video is from early alphaversion, there will be still lot of tuning. Falling parshutes dont have animation etc, please be patient, we are busy with all of these things and working on them.

Cheers, as mehman said, i we are all dicks...I can't actually read all the posts, can i...

And my post was merely a question...it stroke me rather than looking for mistakes

I'm a bit worried about the trees though, I have terrible performance inside Sahrani wooden areas with everything turned down or off

A couple of questions to the devs, if they have time:

3. Will they switch to GL grip in the final version when they fire GLs? But to me this is a very minor glitch anyway, concentrate on the really important stuff first.

4. Although HALO doesn't "look good", it's nice to see it as an internal feature. Hopefully parachutes will be steereable as well? wink_o.gif

They said that the performance will be much more stable throughout the gaming experience due to optimizations. That means that your frame rate will be constant, rather than up in some areas and down in others. If you want to be a real cynic about that statement, it means that performance will be crappy everywhere, not just in forests. I believe them when they say they've optimized everything, but I still think that ArmA 2 will be harder to run than Arma, and so you should probably anticipate upgrading your machine.

3. They apparently already have that issue dealt with. In some screens they show it with the grip fixed, in some they don't. I don't know what that means but they said that weapons will have the capacity to have custom animations for them.

4. Earlier in the thread they said that they are still working on the animations for parachuting (hopefully this also means falling). In another interview?, I recall them saying that special ops guys will have steerable glider type parachutes and regular troops will have non-steerable, standard type chutes.

I'm more than impressed...especially I like the dogs since I love these creatures  biggrin_o.gif .

Please take your time to finish this product!!!

If the AI is really that good as promised in some interviews you've raised the bar very high again...no doubts!

Looks fantastic! The climb fences thingy looked awesome. As did a lot of other small details. The landscape looks soo much more natural sloping than good old Sahrani where we are fighting in 45° sloping terrain. biggrin_o.gif I'm a bit worried about the trees though, I have terrible performance inside Sahrani wooden areas with everything turned down or off sad_o.gif

1. Did I just see a flashbang? Do they have flashbang effects to those affected, and will AI use them automatically?

2. The actual grenade tossing itself, including the leaning and animation; does the AI do this by themselves or will it have to be a scripted event?

3. Will they switch to GL grip in the final version when they fire GLs? But to me this is a very minor glitch anyway, concentrate on the really important stuff first.

4. Although HALO doesn't "look good", it's nice to see it as an internal feature. Hopefully parachutes will be steereable as well? wink_o.gif

5. I noticed that some parts had weapons cursor turned on while others turned off. When turned off, will there now still be possible to have a visual lock for certain (i.e. Javelin) weapons system? Currently I have made my own addon (based on a true addon) to obtain this effect, but obviously not "accepteable" on certain servers which require keys.

Continue to make this more of a "game" out of the box, but with enough content and difficulty options to make it addon free possible for those public servers. But don't dumb it down. Us "hardcore" folks will require addons anyway to get it enough sim based to suit our needs. We will buy this anyway. But you need to attract fresh blood from CoD or whevever that might become "hardcore simmer" in the future tounge2.gif

I think the cursor, no cursor thing has to do with spectating ai

I'm a bit worried about the trees though, I have terrible performance inside Sahrani wooden areas with everything turned down or off

They said that the performance will be much more stable throughout the gaming experience due to optimizations.  That means that your frame rate will be constant, rather than up in some areas and down in others.  If you want to be a real cynic about that statement, it means that performance will be crappy everywhere, not just in forests.  I believe them when they say they've optimized everything, but I still think that ArmA 2 will be harder to run than Arma, and so you should probably anticipate upgrading your machine.

3. They apparently already have that issue dealt with.  In some screens they show it with the grip fixed, in some they don't.  I don't know what that means but they said that weapons will have the capacity to have custom animations for them.

4.  Earlier in the thread they said that they are still working on the animations for parachuting (hopefully this also means falling).  In another interview?, I recall them saying that special ops guys will have steerable glider type parachutes and regular troops will have non-steerable, standard type chutes.

Did you listen to the radio interview? I directly asked him if the performance with ArmA2 will be better than ArmA1 and he said it will be much better, allowing 8600gt's (or popular cards) to run the game very well. All thats required is dual core minimum.

The one thing that will stop me getting ARMA2 is the AI at this stage, seeing as that's the guts of the reason this sim exists ... having and enemy to fight. I would deffo need a demo before I actually get the game to check out the AI.

..but, but... they have DOGS! ... and HALO para jumps...  Isn't that why we all enjoy playing games like OFP and ARMA?

In all honesty, I totally agree with you.  The trailer looked nice, but I saw absolutely nothing in it that will influence my decision on weather to get this game or not.  

Peace,

DreDay

..but, but... they have DOGS! ... and HALO para jumps...  Isn't that why we all enjoy playing games like OFP and ARMA?

In all honesty, I totally agree with you.  The trailer looked nice, but I saw absolutely nothing in it that will influence my decision on weather to get this game or not.  

Peace,

DreDay

What about the improved campaign, moving over low obstacles, nicer graphics, and improved animations?