Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

How can you not care for something that important? It is the exact reason why the game is cheezy. And the horrifying collision physics.

5.54 and 5.56 rounds are designed to bounce around inside somebody. The exit wound from those rounds would not penetrate another person. Therefor it is completely plausible that bodies would provide you cover. Disabling this would make the game even more cheesy.

Isn't it a little late to be asking about such things? And ZerstOren, please get online with 15-30 of your buds, and blow up 20-30 guys in the ragdoll shooter of your liking. And blow up a building or two at the same time, with smoke and fire everywhere. Edit: sorry, forgot.. and please make sure to have another 50-100 AI battling it out as well. Tell me what happens. I don't have any games like that. (Left 4 dead, but that doesn't do the argument justice)

Edited by Scrub#2

Dont really want to complain, but i saw someone said the sway looked like arma1 in the video (that cannot be watched now and i never saw it). I really hope there wont be that arma1 "jumping" back and forth type of sway when we walk slowly and aim. If it moved like that in real life people wouldnt move and shoot, but they do as it doesnt fling left to right like that. I thaught ArmA was supposed to be a realistic combat sim.

You can do better BIS. ;)

Alex

This video is great....

So many high detailed objects and so many different kinds of vegetation....

I hope there is a high defenition version of that video somewhere and i hope there will be a translation.... Jan told us so many things... but i can´t understand him :(

Regards -rF- Cultivator

I do like the more and more detail I'm seeing in the objects and vegetation as well. Hopefully we'll starting seeing more videos of a more recent build of the game.....I hope....

5.54 and 5.56 rounds are designed to bounce around inside somebody. The exit wound from those rounds would not penetrate another person. Therefor it is completely plausible that bodies would provide you cover. Disabling this would make the game even more cheesy.

Wtf is 5,54? No they are not designed to "bounce around" inside a body, do you even know anything about military warfare?

A 5,56x45 NATO FMJ round will penetrate 0,5m of flesh. It would have to be a real fat fuck if the bullet should stay inside the body.

EDIT: ah you might have meant 5,45mm

Isn't it a little late to be asking about such things? And ZerstOren, please get online with 15-30 of your buds, and blow up 20-30 guys in the ragdoll shooter of your liking. And blow up a building or two at the same time, with smoke and fire everywhere. Edit: sorry, forgot.. and please make sure to have another 50-100 AI battling it out as well. Tell me what happens. I don't have any games like that. (Left 4 dead, but that doesn't do the argument justice)

A little fanboy warning here...

No there aren't any other game out there with the scale of BIS ofp/arma series, that's what makes it so unique and why i love it.

But since BIS have fixed their lack of optimization for the gamecode, ragdoll (or at least ragdoll for already dead persons) shouldn't be impossible.

Edited by Placebo

A little ass warning here...

You make these comments, and yet have nothing to back them up. Why post like you're hot shit with an attitude, and we haven't even SEEN a recent death animation? There's like one from the old GC '08 vid. Would it be great with a proper rag doll? Yup. Totally agree. Will that happen? They have multiprocessor capability, and a huge fanbase that at one time or another clamored for it. I'd think if it was possible, in this timeframe, they'd do it. Haven't seen. Hope to be proven wrong.

BTW: With the older 1/12 rifiling and ~50grain (can't remember, 50 something) 5.56mm tumbled like a bitch in Vietnam and reeked bloody hell on the target body, high stopping power. Higher twist (1/9 at least, I think it's actually higher now) and heavier bullet now stabilises and pokes a small, clean hole straight through. Doesn't stop nearly as well. That's probably where the still existing 'tumbling' comments come from.

Edited by Scrub#2

Um... ok, CoD4, Half Life, Gears of War... What are the Arena sizes? 500m max? GTA4's is only like 3-4sq Km....

Now compare that to Arma2... 220sq km. Theres a lot more strain on your hardware...

But since BIS have fixed their lack of optimization for the gamecode, ragdoll (or at least ragdoll for already dead persons) shouldn't be impossible.

At this late development state (with beta testing ongoing) it is definitely too late to add ragdoll effects.

And please, edit your previous posts instead of doubleposting. There is a reason why there is an edit button.

Wtf is 5,54? No they are not designed to "bounce around" inside a body, do you even know anything about military warfare?

A 5,56x45 NATO FMJ round will penetrate 0,5m of flesh. It would have to be a real fat fuck if the bullet should stay inside the body.

EDIT: ah you might have meant 5,45mm

Calm down and listen to me, they are ment to bounce around. The larger ak-47 round is designed to go straight through. Try shooting something and you will notice the difference. Human meat and bone will slow down the bullet enough that any exit round will be too slow to penetrate or do damage.

5.56: 1,708 J

7.62: 3,275 J

Thats a huge difference!

Um... ok, CoD4, Half Life, Gears of War... What are the Arena sizes? 500m max? GTA4's is only like 3-4sq Km....

Now compare that to Arma2... 220sq km. Theres a lot more strain on your hardware...

The person I quoted had said that it would not be possible for ragdolls to block bullets. I proved them wrong.

This is for press coverage, and some of us read it hoping for news. We already have threads for the ragdoll discussions and all this stuff has been said already. You're just repeating the same stuff again.

Calm down and listen to me, they are ment to bounce around. The larger ak-47 round is designed to go straight through. Try shooting something and you will notice the difference. Human meat and bone will slow down the bullet enough that any exit round will be too slow to penetrate or do damage.

5.56: 1,708 J

7.62: 3,275 J

Thats a huge difference!

Just to put to rest the OT on bullets:

Most bullets because of the way they are shaped yaw inside of the body. They are lighter in the front than in the back, and tend to turn ass backwards similarly to a dart thrown backwards. Inside the much thicker medium of the body, the fact that the centre of mass of the bullet is behind its aerodynamic centre is accentuated.

A yawing bullet presents a much greater surface area to the direction of travel, increasing drag and therefore energy transfer. This increases the temporary and permanent cavities of the wound tract, increasing the wounding potential. Therefore, this behaviour is usually encouraged.

The ak47's bullets turn once beginning at 15cm and are completely sideways at 30cm, completing their turn at 40cm. It will remain reversed until it comes to a stop.

The 5.45mm bullet was designed with a small gap between the metal jacket and the lead slug inside. This was apparently a design feature to coax the bullet to yaw much earlier. The 5.45 bullet will yaw almost immediately as it enters the body, then quickly yaw back to frontwards travel in 20cm. It then will yaw again, turn completely around between 25cm and 40cm and come to rest intact.

The 5.56 nato will fragment at certain short ranges, if it is travelling fast enough. This leaves a gory, baseball sized hole inside. The bullet itself is not a very strong design, and as it yaws to the side, it may break apart.

Diagrams of the data collected in research on this is available on firearmstactical.com.

I may have been out of the loop for a while but in that video around 17:00-17:20 he was talking about Securom. I dunno if this was previously annouced, (nore do I speak Czech so I have no idea what he meant) but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

Edited by Victor

I may have been out of the loop for a while but in that video around 17:00-17:20 he was talking about Securom. I dunno if this was previously annouced, (nore do I speak Czech so I have no idea what he meant) but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

Read two pages back! A Czech speaking person confirmed that he said "Securom will now be used for Arma2, because to much complains about the other one" ;)

people complained about the old security software in ArmA? Surely he jests.

One early version had Starforce IIRC.

A new thread for press coverage will probably be created soon as more official media is released.

Try shooting something

I don't think that'd be a good idea :p

One early version had Starforce IIRC.

Czech and Russian versions...

I want for ArmA 2 better drivng cars and motorbikes, because it is terrible things after almost 10 years from OFP era.

How about this thread was for constructiv press coverage info, and discussion about other features of arma2 and arma got their own threads... It's a bit annoing coming home from work, and want to check for any news, only to find out that you have to look 9-10 pages through to find any relevant stuff.

Sorry for my english...

Back on subject. Are there going to be any updates these week? I would like to know before the days out please. With sugar on top.

i would like to get details about the climbing/stepping/jumping over obsticles.

in the last video, you can see the player step over the tent vent thing and then over the small fence. am i to asume that they added a key for this function?

Ragdoll crap moved here.

Please stop dragging this thread off in tedious debates, we have infractions and we're not afraid to use them ;)

Can this physics discussion be continued in the "Game Physics" thread by any chance? It's age old and you're just going over the same old territory the last 10 times this was discussed. Also ignorance of actually developing ragdoll etc. doesn't help.

I've been looking at SaBrE_UK's signature at youtube and it looks damn nice (new vid btw, looks great). Especially when I compare it with ArmA 2 footages.

So what exactly has been improved with ArmA 2 what the community hasn't already improved with ArmA 1? I am no expert, but judging from ArmA 2 footages, graphics seem to have been improved, but not relatively large in comparison with ArmA 1 footage from SaBrE UK clanday.