Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Sure you aren't confusing parallax with normal map? For something like that to be 3D it might as well be polygons rather then parallax, otherwise a normal map will work just fine.

When he mentions parallax here, he's not talking about computer technology. Reflex and holographic sights are made so that the reticle virtually appears some distance ahead of the lense. I think I remember someone saying something about the reticle appearing 30 meters ahead. So, at distances around 30 m, you have a fairly good idea where the bullet will hit regardless of the orientation of the weapon, as long as you can see where the reticle is. The community has taken a couple of stabs at this, but there usually ends up being some kind of visual artifact, like alpha transparency problems. Someone suggested that you might be able to accomplish this effect via a parallax occlusion map (a very clever suggestion!) but I think one of the developers may have commented on the impossibility. I may be mixing that discussion in with another one about clutter using a parallax occlusion map, but there was some prior discussion about it.

The Reflecting Water is superb like the rest of the nature looking!

Another thing i can tick on my big wishlists/complain-lists for Arma2.

I think the Bipod is just a model part... would be awesome if you could lover/raise it though and have resting benefits (lower recoil/weapon sway) from that, just like in ACE.

I suspect the reflection on the water is an environment map or something; it doesn't look to correspond to the land. Don't know, though.

These are with shadows set to low, still they look very good.

The water looks awesome ; is it the lake ? Yeah, doesn't look like real time reflections, at least the performance will be good.

Edited by sk3pt

Looks good, just wish they'd stop using DOF in their screenshots.

I'm wondering if BIS is going to corrected the F-35B from prototype. To the production mobel. :). I love to see it flying in game. Plus a copit shoot will make me oh so happy :yay:

Where? i dont see any new stuff on their site (arma2.com)...

Go back a couple of pages

Tiscali did an interview with in game video. Also a developers blog entry with new pictures.

Kind Regards walker

Hi sparks50

Yes but since in the video it is actual game play now we can access it.

Other things I noticed so far: light reflections from Glass on the gun sight. The cows as others said. The high command sytem and a much improved breifing sytem

Kind Regards walker

Those huge icons and the general Ui are way too big and i hope they get fixed until release. By the way, release, some say 26th June? But you also hear 29th May, wonder which one is correct, 26th June is quiet late and a very bad time to release a game. People are on holiday and do other stuff when its sunny and warm outside.

Sounds like the armory will be an apt mode for jumping into the game. I like the idea of small scale scenarios being derived on the fly, especially the incorporation of addons and such. Good work BIS!

The Arma 1 armory had automatic addon integration as well. I rarely ever used the armory, but I hope they fix it so that the AI gives 100% throttle in races, because right now its so simple to win it, because they drive slowly, even on straights. It may sound minor, but it ruins the whole point of that challenge.

Edited by sparks50

Agreed, sparks. I win the challenges way too easily. And it seems that the AI is completely different in "Scene" mode. They rarely shoot, and literally just run into the team's bullets.

Those huge icons and the general Ui are way too big and i hope they get fixed until release.

Exactly. They are HUGE.

They are well adapted to Armas elderly fanboys.

doro.jpgHerbert_Family_Guy.jpg?t=1240019516

I hope they include an option to remove most of the HUD in the difficulty settings.

The majority of things displayed, I simply do not need to know, or can find out otherwise.

BTW, for those who aren't familiar to these bicycles: the Paratrooper bike is fold able in real life. It can be dropper with airborne soldiers, thus increasing the range and speed of these soldiers when they hit the ground(of course depending on the terrain). I wonder if it will get any such functionality in the game.

2250817444_1645822ea1.jpg

Edited by sparks50

Is there any video out there where you can see the infantry fighting ?

I'm interested to see is it improved much from Arma1. Formations/behauvior under fire, tracers, damage decals , grenade exposions & radio com etc.

I have to say i was very uninterested in this title still year ago when i saw first pics from game. I thought this will be a Arma 1.5. Now it seems it has improved much. Looking better than OFP2 in every way. Gameplay and gfx.

Edited by Potatomasher

Indeed, the 505games has the release date: 26th June 2009

Damit thats exact day I go to Iraq. Dam you publisher.:D

I think that CM is asking for official updates, on the arma2.com website, like we were promised would come every week up until the realese. Not updates that you have to look around for yourself. Just like i was pointing out earlyer...

CM is asking for official updates.

The developer's blog update is from the official Bohemia Interactive website and the release date is from the official publisher's website.

It didn't take much looking around to find it. It was front page news at Armaholic and ArmA Info.

Would you guys stop spamming the thread with your "we want updates!" posts. No one has promised you weekly updates.

Why not sit down and make some interesting missions or addons while waiting? And if there is a week without updates - it's not the end of the world.

Edit: I did a cleansweep here, removing spam leakage, and pointless demands.

This thread is about latest ArmA2 Press Coverage, not for demanding updates and all kind of spam.

Edited by W0lle

Well, to be honest, I read on main website, that we'll get weekly updates until release :deal:, well we just expected something to pop out.

There was an update, Raphier, it was just on the Dev Blog instead.

Which was way more interesting that some weaponpictures IMO. :p

Impressions from preview version ArmA2 (march build?) will be tomorrow

little pieces from article

• low framerate (20fps) on PC HW (C2D 3 GHz, 4GB RAM a GF GTX-260 s 896 MB RAM),res.: 1280x1024 and highest details
  • reduction graphic resolution hadn't some effect for better framerate, but reduction graphic details was much good (decrease visibility under 5km hadn't some impact on framerate)
  • set medium graphic details raised framerate on 35-40fps
  • engine wasn't checkout in preview build
  • AI is not so good on open areas (standart situations as we knows in ArmA or OFP, when AI overlie, check all sides and continue in move)
  • AI had problem with orientation around houses (aim to fence, not to open area)
  • AI doing better cover (going around obstacles)

bkgax.jpgbkgbx.jpgbkgcx.jpg

bkgdx.jpgbkgex.jpg

Edited by spoock

In the fifth slide I have two issues. 1) The AV-8B is not the same as the one in the vehicle update that was posted. Is this and older pic? Are will there be more than one variant of the AV-8B? 2) I would like to see more of the LHD/LHA shots from BIS.