Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Time to put my money in some BIS stock,this is GOTY material they have on their hands.

"Arma 2 officially better looking then Crysis" doesn't sound far fetched anymore.

Time to put my money in some BIS stock,this is GOTY material they have on their hands.

"Arma 2 officially better looking then Crysis" doesn't sound far fetched anymore.

Yeah but Mafia2 also coming...

This year GOTY will be between Czechs vs Czechs :D:yay:

BIS - Invest in a coupla small 15 sec TV grabs. A wise investment

First i say gfx isn't so important than gameplay, but Arma2 isn't looking very special in any of those preview shots. A lot worse than in GC08 shots IMO. What kind of super computer they had there on the show ? :)

Though it seems that the previewers weren't very good at capturing good shots. Maybe a couple of photographing lessons would have done the trick.

Edited by Potatomasher

I used to think that gfx wasnt important but I have slowly changed my mind, I want good graphics now... I already have great gameplay with OFP/Arma but I invest in a good rig i therfore want good gfx, yes I know I'm shallow but I've been spoilt with Arma I think its very good visually

Tank interiours? Where? What? ...Needs to step back a few pages I think... :p

German free translated to english....:

ArmaMDB:

The BMP3 had full tank interiors, if that will be happen to other tanks too remains open - Jan Prazak (Jennik) says YES!

Arma.de:
Basically there were rumors that again only 2D windows will "re-create" the actual tank interior. However a short drivearound in the BMP3 gave us a completely different impression:

As commander we had in the BMP3, from the Ego-perspective the whole tank interior including seats with gunner/driver in our view.

Also as we took place in the MI24 Hind, i seemed that every instrument has a real purpose and is not only a texture.....

BMP != Battletank

Its same idea in ArmA: Strykers, BMPs, M113s, BRDMs etc do have interiors. Just not the M1, Shilka and T72. What do they have in common? No passengers.

And frankly, as long as there isnt any business in the interior (like switches or mirrors) i have no need for interiors in passenger less vehicles.

Damn, if that's all you were going by - BMP-3 interiors does not imply tanks will have interiors. Oh well.

Edit: Those 2 new reviews are promising. The story is sounding good already.

Edited by Dr_Eyeball

BMPs

The BMP had no interior for the driver, commander and gunner in arma, just for the cargo

For this inventory picture

Note the laser marker grenade thingy. :D

- die AI meidet die Mitte der Strasse, läuft nur am Rande und fährt rechts

No more AI's walking in the middle of the road, and they keep right now. Good. :D

First i say gfx isn't so important than gameplay, but Arma2 isn't looking very special in any of those preview shots. A lot worse than in GC08 shots IMO. What kind of super computer they had there on the show ? :)

Though it seems that the previewers weren't very good at capturing good shots. Maybe a couple of photographing lessons would have done the trick.

I was specifically reffering to Dyslexci pictures that verge in the realm of photorealistic texture wise.

The previews as far as I can see had no anti-aliasing enabled,some were bad aspect ratio which is not to say I can't see things I appreciate like the vegetation,the models etc.

I'm going Core i7 soon with a graphic card that can compliment it properly so I expect much better results from the final version or Arma 2 costumized to get the best gfx out of it at 1600x1050,everything high with AA on.

Another German page ( ARMAMDB.de ) mentioned that it was mentioned that there may be Interiours for tanks in ArmA2 but they cant 100% guarantee it.

Would surely be a nice addition though, yes it serves no real purpose but it adds to the atmosphere.

In OFP in Tank missions i often started to look around in the tanks in short battle pauses and such things automaticly give you a real realism boost especially if you are in tanks like the very small ( especially inside ) russian ones.

BMP != Battletank

BMP is not a battletank.Originally it's abbreviation from russian "Ð‘Ð¾ÐµÐ²Ð°Ñ ÐœÐ°ÑˆÐ¸Ð½Ð° Пехоты" (БМП=BMP), verbatim that's combat infantry vehicle.

Edited by dkd

BMP is not a battletank.Originally it's abbreviation from russian "Ð‘Ð¾ÐµÐ²Ð°Ñ ÐœÐ°ÑˆÐ¸Ð½Ð° Пехоты" (БМП=BMP), verbatim that's combat infantry vehicle.

If you were a computer nerd you would know != means "is not" , so now you know :)

Ontopic: The UI size config is awesome. I hated all the big icons on the screens. Hope it works as we think :bounce3:

I was specifically reffering to Dyslexci pictures that verge in the realm of photorealistic texture wise.

Yes they look much better like i thought Arma2 should look now.

No wonder why devs aren't willing to give preview code of the game so easily to press when all they do is harm and not positively show the product.

BMP != Battletank

Its same idea in ArmA: Strykers, BMPs, M113s, BRDMs etc do have interiors. Just not the M1, Shilka and T72. What do they have in common? No passengers.

Is a valid point, however my arguments against it are:

1. Situation GC 08 August 08: Jennik/Ivan/Maruk (dunno who was it) presented BMP3, the person was like in Arma1 glued to the optics (they switched between different gunner positions btw).

On the question then, if there will be Tank Interiors in the final Product, the answer was "NO, its not worth the amount of work".

2. Now in that Latest Preview, you could already look around inside the tank from the commanders position

3. In Arma1, the BMPs/BRDMs/etc had no first person tank interiors unless you were a passanger.....;)

4. Jennik said "Yes" to the question if there will be those interiors for other tanks too.

JPEG COMPRESSION FTW.

Why do game magazines use paint to save their screenshots?

Hope that we will see improved AI + group behaviour eg.

- squad/team leader dont run in front of their team

- squad/team leader using more than only "standing position" if stopped/waypoint reached

- using some kind of overwatch and different tactics

- changing formations+tactic according to terrain + situation

- knowledge of weapons + vehicles - no more UAZ/HMMWVs vs MBTs or firing AT/AA rounds on infantry etc.

It would be better if periscopes/vision blocks would be implemented in MBTs/armored vehicles so the crew gets a small+rough "overview" like in real. :)

Are weather effects like storm/heavy rain/hail influencing AI movements or behaviour? What about snow and blizzards?

Now lets talk about some downsides really worth to mention:

1. AT4/M136 still is a reload-able launcher.

http://img.hrej.cz/b2/o_0bd67c31db9e627378f0c5886440dd.jpg

I guess lame "side vs. side balancing" has won here again over weapon-features like in RL :rolleyes:. Hint: Ever thought that balancing can be done perfectly by mission-design; unit-loadout; group-equipment+tactics (AT gunner + Ammo bearer), etc ?

2. No Vehicle Nightvision/FLIR optics....

Arma.de Staff and ex german Army MBT Tank-Gunner "Flickflack" had some very long conversations/discusions with Maruk about the issue and he has no understanding why BIS remain at that decision.... Some of his arguments he posted in the conversations to Maruk:

- The Optics are standard since the late 70s in RL

- Other way more arcade Games have them as well

- BIS claims to be the "realistic" of the two games "Arma2 vs. OFP DR", always gives those little "digs" at/towards CM and tells what a simulation must have - while in this case, OFP DR have those optics and Arma2 not :p

It seems, as he then realized that BIS remains on that point, he asked if there will be at least the possibility that the community gets more influence over shaders this time, to be able to mod that on their own, Maruk answered with "Yes".

However, as Flickflack commented this, this is only partially "a good news", as you still need so called "access to subsets of models with the shaders", to apply own created or re-coded shaders to specific model sections (for instance engine part) to simulate the glowing...

However he is still confident that we will maybe see some good possibilities/solutions, as BIS was also insightful with various other things, for example the lately water improvements.

Clever Communications itself has just recently celebrated its second year. As a games journalist, when I was asked by Michal about PR in North America, they were the top of my personal list and I told him so.

I have complete faith in Mika and Clever and believe that will do Arma II proud and it will be a highly successful partnership.

Just because a company does not have a Wikipedia entry and you do not know their names does not mean they are not good. A PR company is not about doing PR for themselves, but for their clients. If you know their clients then they have done their jobs.

And since when is Wikipedia the end-all business directory for the world? heh Haven't there been enough controversies about companies changing their own info to alert you that it should be taken with a grain of salt at the very least?

Again, as a games journalist, they were my first suggestion for many reasons...

Just wanted to help clear that up for everyone

Cheers,

Christophor Rick

Editor-in-Chief

Gamers Daily News

I did not know what BMP stands for since kyrillic isn't one of the alphabets i can read, so thank you very much for the translation. But in most programming languages != means different ;)

On the M136. So you think you can carry only one M136? What if they change the reloading animation to "get another launcher from back" would you be happy then? The "reloading" is just an easy way to simulate the dispensable nature of the M136. Any other case needs an own "Dispensable Launcher" class. Which is imo too much work just for cosmetics.

official Germany Release (News today):

Source

1. I don't believe they can make it up then, when the release in rest of europe is delayed/listed on mid/end of June.

If they make it alone, while others get a different version, then i think thats really poor and the same debacle like with Arma1.... we germans get then (compared to other releases) a more-beta vesion then, than the others.

2. The Title "The Ultimate Military Simulator"..... should i really comment that? :p

"The Uber Military Simulator" would be better :O

Maybe mid/end June was a secure date cause they didnt know if they can make it. Or maybe not? Hwo knows.

But i think this is fact now: ArmA2 Release is straight ahead \o