Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.14

The new WDL units really work well in NS, a couple retextured RACS units in woodland/green cammo would be nice for PvP maps since the SLA kinda sucks and nobody wants to play with them.

Does anyone know how to fix a sound issue with an X-FI @ 5.1 surround sound.

The game is running fine, but the audio is crackling like hell, cutting out, no distance meter thingy. Basically I consider it broken.

Im running Game mode (xfi control panel), have sound acceleration and EAX running, though have tried disabling them to no effect.

Any ideas? Im going mad with frustration.

cheers

strange... for me alt-tabbing has improved, it takes like 1 second(7900gs)

Same here, its near on instant with mine. I was actually shocked at the speed considering the amount arma is doing.

I'm still getting horrible texture swapping/loading/switching sad_o.gif

For example:

I was playing a LAN game of Warfare, I was commander. I built a supply truck and any time I went near it my FPS halved, If I walked 50 meters away from it FPS went back to normal. I had a look around the truck and it seemed as though all the textures had loaded. Then I got in the truck and the textures had not loaded for the dash board/steering wheel. I went for a drive around just to see how long it would take all the textures to load(still lagging, harddisk thrashing away). About 3-5 minutes after I built the truck the textures for the inside finally finished loading and my FPS went back to normal. This can happen with anything; Buildings, vehicles, wrecks, guns, uniforms etc etc.

I have tried with -maxmem512 and with no -maxmem, no difference. What is going on here? Its really frustrating to have a pc that can play the game at full settings, never going less than 25 FPS (mostly around 40) and to have this texture swapping issue ruining it.

Specs

Intel C2Q9300

4gb DDR2 8500

9800GTX 512mb

Creative XFi extreme music

XP64bit Pro

on a positive note, this patch is very good. New units look excellent and the new mission is fantastic. thank you.

What will be the result of such list - will you give it to your governor? Or is at only list of wishes for game developer & designer Santa? Better to have "most wanted" list from community sorted by:

1) mission creator/designers

2) addon and mod creator/designers

3) players

Manday

I merged your thread with this one, all chit-chat about 1.14 being the last patch have been removed.

Please, use this thread for any feedback regarding 1.14. It makes no sense to have an own thread for every single issue.

On a sidenote, it's useless to come up with stuff that has been since OFP 1.0. If something has not been fixed in 7 years you could think that it won't be fixed in the next patch.

The new WDL units really work well in NS, a couple retextured RACS units in woodland/green cammo would be nice for PvP maps since the SLA kinda sucks and nobody wants to play with them.

Yeah, dunno why they didn't just stick the "Woodland" bod

into the RACs inventory too.

The SLA has ridiculous equipment.. I like to play them much more than bluefor.

Still:

There are still things in Arma 1.4 final that haven´t been fixed since the release of Arma.

1. Kamov gun is not aimable via guncam. Worked perfectly with OFP but with Arma it´s a dead duck.

2. Thx for not implementing a consistant method of steering vehicles up to now. This feature or alternative to using a joystick or gamepad has been asked for since Arma has been released by a big number of players, still nothing has been done to support keyboard+mouse players. Big letdown from BIS here.

3. AI is still shaking in place. Wasn´t this supposed to be fixed ?

To be honest, performance is good now and I thank BIS for that, but simply ignoring basic gameplay wishes and fixes is beyond

my understanding. For a final version this one still lacks too much.

I 100% agree. And on top of that it seems that those are not impossible to fix, since OFP did it all...

I would really hear some grounded reasons why this step back in gameplay is made for ArmA.

On a sidenote, it's useless to come up with stuff that has been since OFP 1.0. If something has not been fixed in 7 years you could think that it won't be fixed in the next patch.

<forgive me this post - I just have to say it>

Now you got it! That's the very point I'm stressing. These things which I named are MAJOR issues and at the same time (to my opinion) easily fixed.

For instance as regards the "which car in the list is which" you could simply at a distance and the number of crewmen in it to the list item to help identifying it.

So in a situation where you know about a few humvees (remember, ALL vehicles are being displayed as option in the menu - not just those in immediate proximity) the list in command menu would, instead of

HMMWV at 2 o'Clock

HMMWV at 3 o'Clock

HMMWV at 2 o'Clock

HMMWV at 6 o'Clock

rather be

HMMWV at 20m, 2 o'Clock (2)

HMMWV at 1200m, 3 o'Clock (0)

HMMWV at 800m, 2 o'Clock (4)

HMMWV at 10m, 6 o'Clock (1)

But NO - BIS (yeah - I actually am accusing) doesnt appear to make the slightest effort in order to fix this. Instead they spend months of developent on things like

5226 - Fixed: Improved text clarity.

I mean, please, come on...

Now don't come telling me that "They do work hard" and "the community gets delivered patches with a hundred fixed on a regular basis and i'm STILL complaining"...

I know that they (YOU!wink_o.gif are not lazy and they (YOU!wink_o.gif work hard on it. But it appears like they (YOU!wink_o.gif were working with blindfolds on - there are so many of these little and easily fixed but at the same time serious issues and no sign of then being resolved.

</forgive me this post>

(maybe you understand why I wanted this to be a seperate topic - this is btw not meant to be any kind of offense or insult - just straight criticism from my point of view)

Wow, was inspired to play ArmA again for the first time in months - muchly impressed! Thank god all the incremental beta patches are gone and the MP community can all play together again. For what it is - a patch - it's a damn fine piece of work.. The CTI map/mission alone is great, and some of the horrible niggling problems (random bike death, poor pathfinding on bridges) have been fixed. and there are a few surprise details too - the text really is more legible for me, and its nice to see head-turning from players in cargo. smile_o.gif

And the new defences are great, I've been dying to see machine-gun nests, proper walls and bunker type buildings for ages, and it seems CTI has inspired BIS to whip them out. thumbs-up.gif

I'm quite happy if BIS want to get on with developing ArmA2 from here on out, here's hoping someone compiles a good list of the worst recurring problems from this thread and mails it to the developers for inclusion in the next game. whistle.gif

For balance? For Warfare? For the hell of it? Take your pick.

- dRb

I decided I really don't like warfare. For the same reason I don't like Evo. It's just a bunch of people playing separately and fighting AI.

And this is now BIS' fault too or what? Sometimes it really seems that people just complain for the heck of it.

Your complaining fits into the MP thread about Warfare but not here.

There's also an edit button you can use instead of doubleposting.

How come RACS have t-72's now?

Because they something more powerful in Warfare?

Tested some more and warfare seems to be the biggest FPS thief. But still very uneven performance for me all around.

One other issue is that my screen goes white from time to time now with 1.14, never happened with previous patches. Flush doesnt work, only alt+tab. Again, i know my GPU Speed/RAM isnt as good as it could be (8800GTS 320MB), neither is my CPU (2,2Ghz X2) or the rest of the computer (2GB 400Mhz RAM). So i guess the 100% increase as stated by BIS must have meant other cards than the 8800GTS 320MB. Ive tested all kinds of different settings in the options/Nvidia CP, and it is uneven contra pre 1.14 where i had much more even/stable performance.

I will get a new computer since i need one anyhow, just letting my info out on how 1.14 works for me.

Wow I was suprised to find out that all kinds off shells finaly have a longer lifetime now!!!

Set up a artillery gun as player and a soldier as playable in the editor than you can play your own forward observer and destroy targets from one island to the other!

Great fun and I hope I find people in MP to cooperate and use this great feature! Finaly working ary out of the box!! (the sights could be better...)

Long range sniper and tank battles work now too!!!

Great fix!!!!

Thanks for the reply, just wondering if they would be captured SLA tanks.

Maybe we need a thread to report serious potential bugs? I just got this after placing an hesco in the editor and previewing, my screen froze for a second and i got this texture splat on my screen:

escoBUG.jpg

Something made my game go nuts twice, graphics all messed up (corruption) and the game was barely responding, the first time i thought it was driver failure or a graphical problem with the engine.

Ok, lets say theres a big chance the hesco wall made my graphics go nuts and almost froze my game.. never had this happen before and it happened on a wip mission i have been fooling around with for months.

Are the new (WDL) soldiers and warfare buildings safe? I cant reproduce this problem and i dont want to jump to conclusions.

Edit:

Also... heavy breathing sound is still missing in first person.

there is something strange with the texture in the back of the USMC soldiers. the semi-circular bright colour seems really weird.

I just got this after placing an hesco in the editor and previewing, my screen froze for a second and i got this texture splat on my screen:

I've had similar 3 times now, but each time it was in MP, but may not be MP related.

The screen would freeze ...... I was fully expecting a CTD or full reset each time, but about 15-20sec later the screen would flash up a random texture, one was some white thing, another was some tree texture alpha and so on.

I could still hear something going on, so I just ALT-Tab in and out and it continued to work, surprisingly.

I've also had 2 CTD's

I didn't see an increase in performance for my 8800GTS.

Still seems to be a memory leak, I left the South Sahrini "menu" mission (the UAV air-strike 1) play itself for several hours. When I finally closed down ArmA, I got a desktop for about 2 secs then a blackscreen of death. Had to reset the machine.

Either way, I didn't get this with the beta's, and my general thoughts are that 1.14 is less stable than the betas for me sad_o.gif

Pent Core2 2.13Ghz Gigabyte 965P-DS3

2GB RAM 8800GTS 640MB

Windows XP SP2

Shame this is the final patch. Looks like more patches required sad_o.gif

Final does not mean last.

Actually I am pretty sure they said months ago that this was the last patch they were going to release for Arma 1. Would love to be wrong on this.

Maybe we need a thread to report serious potential bugs? I just got this after placing an hesco in the editor and previewing, my screen froze for a second and i got this texture splat on my screen:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/supercatpoop/ArmA/escoBUG.jpg

Something made my game go nuts twice, graphics all messed up (corruption) and the game was barely responding, the first time i thought it was driver failure or a graphical problem with the engine.

Ok, lets say theres a big chance the hesco wall made my graphics go nuts and almost froze my game.. never had this happen before and it happened on a wip mission i have been fooling around with for months.

Are the new (WDL) soldiers and warfare buildings safe? I cant reproduce this problem and i dont want to jump to conclusions.

Edit:

Also... heavy breathing sound is still missing in first person.

lol,it happens to me once.Suddenly i saw a face like the custom faces i put in my arma profile and i have to ctrl+alt+del the game to get this shit out of my screen.Its the best patch 1.14. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I decided I really don't like warfare.  For the same reason I don't like Evo.  It's just a bunch of people playing separately and fighting AI.  

I disagree. The kind of gameplay Warfare brings is a fresh new addition to Arma MP. You've got to look at the big picture. This isn't really about going out and 'pwning' human players on the battlefield one after another. There are plenty of other smaller games better suited for that. This is more about strategy.

Consider it primarily a game between two commanders as a contest to see which one can better organize their resources. The other human players get to command smaller squads in order to better serve their commanders. You're not just playing to take over other towns. You're playing to defeat the enemy team. In a battlefield as large as Arma's, superior marksmenship is merely an asset, but not a game maker. For once in a shooter, decisions matter most and warfare manages to bring out the best Arma MP has to offer.