Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.14

72 @ May 26 2008,20:42)]Your guess was wrong.

I stand corrected. As I said if you gained 60 FPS by clicking the higher preset and otherwise run at same resolution and VD as before it is amazing!

Quote[/b] ]Im not that stupid mate.

Never said you where  wink_o.gif

/KC

72 @ May 27 2008,02:42)]Im using Mykes Dynamic View Distance.

I heard some of the OGN guys say their 1.14 performance was better after they got rid of the Dynamic View Distance addon

Quote[/b] ]I also should have also mentioned that I'm still able to sit down and watch a battle from the sidelines and spot several AI magically running through buildings and obstacles.

That´s most probably a result of your hardware that is at the lowest line of minimum specs. As a result pathfinding calculations are very limited.

I've also noticed this but so far only with the new Warfare buildings.

And running vista64, 4g, 8800gts, it aint a min spec issue

Patch is nice and work fine but where are women?

Patch is nice and work fine but where are women?

Out there, in the real world! biggrin_o.gif

I've gotta say, I've had no problems with this patch so far. CTDs/BSODs etc. have never been an issue for me and that's still the case. Performance is up a notch (up a mile since 1.08). All in all a very good game experience.

Looking forward to seeing what happens to Warfare in the future.

What do you guys suggest I do? I have a pretty powerful GPU (8800 GTS 640 MB 128 stream processors) and I did what he said. It improved performance a little, but it didn't fix the problem. It'll act fine, then when I approach a city or a forest it lags out.

EDIT: I'm downloading the Nvidia 175.16 drivers now, seeing if that'll help. The one I'm using now are 169.-- hopefully that'll fix this performance issue, though I somehow doubt it will.

EDIT2: Well the new driver improved the FPS in Crysis by a long-shot, but not ArmA.

JoW, it seems we're in the same boat mate - I juiced up the settings, and actually got an increase in performance, but still the odd lag when turning quickly to look at different scenery, or when spooling around in outside view...

I'll keep testing, and see what happens...

EDIT - yep, still the odd annoying lag, it's most pronounced when zooming in to look through the sights of a weapon sad_o.gif I've also noticed that looking at trees will also guarantee a jump/lag if that helps...

And yeah, I don't think my rig is weak..

Intel dual core 6600 at 2.4 gig

Vista 32 bit

2046 MB Ram

2x Nividia GeForce 8800 GTX

279 Gig hard drive in Raid 0, 60% free space

After testing the patch for some days now I have to retract my previous statement of raised performance. In fact the performance is worse now. This is most noticeable at misions with many AI units or smoke sources. The game turns into a slideshow then and I experienced 7 CTD´s so far while playing the 1.4 patched version.

LOD issues specifically in towns are still there.

My System:

Athlon XP 3000+ @2,4 Ghz

Leadtek 7600 GT AGP 256 MB

2 Gig Geil DDR -Ram

No Pagefile

Lots of HD space

Soundblaster X-Fi

Previous versions gave me better performance and stability.

Is your CPU overclocked Balschoiw ?

My previous config was quite similar to yours and I had several CTD and a shitload of troubles due to overclocking (even with the tool provided with my motherboard).

Removing the overclocking solved a lot of issues, like lag and LOD loading due to overheating.

Good luck confused_o.gif

Malick

Yes it´s overclocked but that shouldn´t be a problem as it doesn´t produce any errors when stressed badly overnight with CPU loaders. The heat is neither a problem as I really have a fat CPU fan and 2 80mm case fans plus a 120mm fan blowing directly over CPU and GPU. The temperatures don´t show any abnormal peaks neither are they higher than average. Needless to say that I had no issues like that with the last beta patches.

NO CD REQUIRED ANYMORE!!!

Thanks BIS !! rofl.gif

Yes it´s overclocked but that shouldn´t be a problem as it doesn´t produce any errors when stressed badly overnight with CPU loaders. The heat is neither a problem as I really have a fat CPU fan and 2 80mm case fans plus a 120mm fan blowing directly over CPU and GPU. The temperatures don´t show any abnormal peaks neither are they higher than average. Needless to say that I had no issues like that with the last beta patches.

Nevertheless, it can't hurt to try out stock clocking. Eliminate all possibilities, Dr Watson! biggrin_o.gif

For those commenting that they don't understand why low spec machines shouldn't run the same physics calcs and collision detection as more powerful machines, and asking why the fudge are BIS stupid enough to try to optimise in this stupid and pointless way...

I wonder if you would be saying the same thing if you were siutting there with a low spec PC and all the AIs were running/driving/flying around at a 10th of the normal speed because it takes too long to perform all the calculations?

(And remember as well as collision detecting, there must also be loads of line-of-sight calculations going on for all the AIs vs. many potential targets.)

The more AIs and objects there are in the game, the more CPU intensive this set of calculations will be.

Incidentally...I'm loving 1.14. Performance is generally good, slightly better than 1.08. I do seem to get a bit more lag effect than usual when zooming and swivelling, enough to be slightly irritating without being enough to actually cause me a serious problem. Warfare is cool...I've only found time to play a couple of games with just AI to see how it works and already I've got plenty of nice war stories and the odd "wow" moment - mostly the AI is as limited as usual, but sometimes it will pull something off that is possibly blind luck but appears like a stroke of genius, like hising an ATGM Stryker in some woods and ambushing me and wiping out my entire platoon of 3 T72s before I managed to get him with an RPG.

I'm still getting horrible texture swapping/loading/switching sad_o.gif

For example:

I was playing a LAN game of Warfare, I was commander. I built a supply truck and any time I went near it my FPS halved, If I walked 50 meters away from it FPS went back to normal. I had a look around the truck and it seemed as though all the textures had loaded. Then I got in the truck and the textures had not loaded for the dash board/steering wheel. I went for a drive around just to see how long it would take all the textures to load(still lagging, harddisk thrashing away). About 3-5 minutes after I built the truck the textures for the inside finally finished loading and my FPS went back to normal. This can happen with anything; Buildings, vehicles, wrecks, guns, uniforms etc etc.

I have tried with -maxmem512 and with no -maxmem, no difference. What is going on here? Its really frustrating to have a pc that can play the game at full settings, never going less than 25 FPS (mostly around 40) and to have this texture swapping issue ruining it.

Specs

Intel C2Q9300

4gb DDR2 8500

9800GTX 512mb

Creative XFi extreme music

XP64bit Pro

on a positive note, this patch is very good. New units look excellent and the new mission is fantastic. thank you.

Never mind, It appears Vista is actually good for something biggrin_o.gif

Installed Visa64, and reinstalled Arma. Now playing 1600x1200 all settings maxed. I get the odd bit of texture switching occasionally, but it doesn't affect the frame rate.

I don't know if its the fact of a newer quicker harddisk or just because it was a fresh install with this hardware. If anyone has changed their GFX card i recommend reinstalling the game. I noticed some settings in the config that do not change when you switch GFX card/hardware. It only chooses the correct settings for your card on a fresh install of Arma.

thanks BIS for the patch yay.gif

Specs

Intel C2Q9300

4gb DDR2 8500

9800GTX 512mb

Creative XFi extreme music

XP64bit Pro

That's some monster you got in that case...

besides i'm sure other games will just look amazing .. . It's a shame about the texture loadings in arma ..

Just an update...

I was rather quick to "blame" the new 1.14 patch for my sudden BSOD's in ArmA but after installing the latest nVidia GeForce 175.16 WHQL drivers and getting a freeze also with them I turned my attention else where...

After pulling off the sides of the PC case and thus getting better cooling I've been unable to reproduce any BSOD's in ArmA 1.14 so it looks like the reason to my BSOD problem was heat related and not the patch itself. It kinda make sense since it's been warm weather around here lately.

Performance wise there is no difference on my machine between 1.12 Beta and 1.14. I will do more testing when time allows but so far it looks like my dreaded BSOD's are cured smile_o.gif

/KC

Still a performance issue, tried latest graphics drivers to no avail - problem is it effects two completely different system.

It seems fine until you turn around as it then appears to be loading new content all of the time.

SO What I want to know is has BIS read this thread, do they suggest any solutions, and/or when they going to release a hotfix?

Basically 1.14 has ruined the game (the bug fixes/improvements certainly don't outweigh the performance issues which others suffer from) - and also helped split the community even more.

My favorite server I normally play on is now updated... and im going to have to reinstall back to 1.08...

Have you actually taken the trouble to look at the variou sv1.14 troubleshooting / performance tweaking threads, in this very forum and also in the ArmA - Troubleshooting forum?

It's easy to just sit there and say v1.14 has "ruined the game" and expect answers...but given that it's not a problem affecting all users it may be helpful if as many as possible of those users who are experiencing issues are prepared to assist in the troubleshooting process, at least by providing full information on their hardware/driver/software setup; contents of log files; perhaps running additional diagnostics that BIS might be able to suggest or provide.

bugs found:

- the rear lights of the m113 mobile hq don't look properly when activated

- tested in the editor on rahmadi at 0.00 am and 12.00 am, look at picture 1 and picture 2

- the m113 mobile hq has no backfront in the interrior (activate free look mode when player is driver)

- m113 medevac has no interior, look at this picture

- the original m113 is completely ok

- tested in the editor on rahmadi, time doesn't matter, player as driver, activate the free look mode

- Voice over Net is useless in direct speech mode because it is too quiet

- tested on arma linux server 1.14 with multiple players all having the same problem

- I've set the volume to max but nothing worked, every other channel such as global or side works fine with VON

- EAX was activated and hardware accelleration was disabled

- VON quality has been set to maximum in the server.cfg

- taking weapons in the briefing doesn't work if the player group starts in a vehicle

- check it out the following way ... set up some weapons the description.ext, place an uh-60 (name it Blackhawk) and a player group, name the group leader p1. Add this to the leader's init line: {_x moveInCargo Blackhawk} foreach units p1;

- in multiplayer mode you'll noticed that no player can take weapons during the briefing

- let them start outside the uh-60 and it will work, damn annoying bug

- tanks are still lying on the back

- where: everywhere, even in flat areas after mission start (check out warfare for example, the mobile hq sometimes lies on the back when starting a mission)

- tested on 1.14 linux dedicated server

To be honest ... If I had to decide to buy arma 2 tomorrow ... I wouldn't do it sad_o.gif and these are the words of a great fan of ofp and arma. I don't buy other games anymore just to spend time with them. sad_o.gif

I have already tried the work arounds with no success - and I hold by my statement, the game in unplayable at the moment.

Ive got a reasonably okay spec PC, Quad Intel, 4 gig of ram, 8800GT 512 running latest Nvidia drivers. Vista Home Edition.

The second PC is older specs, WinXP, ATI card and also is conflicted by the issue.

I finished the last mission of the campaign using this 1.14 patch.

I have also played other single player missions.

I have also done some work in the mission editor and playtested my creations.

I have not encountered a single problem yet. No performance problems compared to what I have had before (my computer is well below ArmA minimum requirements).

So far the patch seems to work fine on my computer.

There are things I don't like in ArmA but at this time I can't point anything particular to be the fault of the 1.14 patch.

No crashes at all.

I admit that the amount I have used this patch isn't much considering many other people play it extensively, probably almost every day which I don't do. But as I said so far no problems caused by the 1.14 patch. If anything, it might have had a positive impact on the performance but I can't be 100 % sure of that now.

yesterday night I played some MP warfare...boring with the idiots online killing eachother(intentialy)...usmc against sla hard to tell whom is whom in the heat of a fight biggrin_o.gif

Now I tried to play a bit in the editor with the usmc but they all drop their m16a4`s crazy_o.gif

Maybe already mentioned or a conflict with an addon, I don`t know and to be honest I don`t care.

edit* my bad  the wound texture is on the back of the leg  confused_o.gif  I was still in game  and shoot them all  pistols.gif

Wound textures did not work properly either on them..sometimes the face and a arm or bulletholes in the vest

but surtenly no legs wounds.

I gave it a another try for few minuts

thumbs-up.gif  patch really ..I don`t have to play any further anymore don`t ya think whistle.gif

hi there,

TWO problems... not as huge as texture loading (that I'm experiencing too), but...

1/ running in diagonal has *again* been spotted, one step back

2/ oil pump not working on South Sahrani, step back again

I can't live without it tounge2.gif

(and what about elevators, hehe)

All last night I was affected by lag on a server with pings of about 40. Every time I got in a helicopter it felt like we were crashing into the ground or spinning because of lag.

Did BIS actually test the CTI game mode in a public beta test?

Update: The hackers are back and are screwing up servers again big time! Didn't take them long to hack 1.14 and get by the game's cheat protection.

The 1.14 servers crash on their own all the time (usually I can play for about 2-4 hours before the servers crash) and if it isn't the servers crashing it is cheaters. Ugh!

All last night I was affected by lag on a server with pings of about 40.  Every time I got in a helicopter it felt like we were crashing into the ground or spinning because of lag.

Did BIS actually test the CTI game mode in a public beta test?

Update: The hackers are back and are screwing up servers again big time!  Didn't take them long to hack 1.14 and get by the game's cheat protection.

The 1.14 servers crash on their own all the time (usually I can play for about 2-4 hours before the servers crash) and if it isn't the servers crashing it is cheaters.  Ugh!

Were you on a server with both BattlEye and signature checking?

Because if one of those is off, the server should not be considered secure. BattlEye only protects against D3D hacks and the likes - people using standard mods to cheat will not be detected by BE. I've been on several servers that don't seem to be checking signatures, so I'm not surprised that cheaters are still about.

Also, I have not experienced a single server crash since 1.14 came out. Even played a single mission with ~30 people that lasted about two hours a couple of days ago and the server was fine.

1.14 graphics are noticably smoother - I can crank most settings up and get a silky smooth response.

BUT what I REALLY LIKE in 1.14 the most is a better balanced AI. Finally, finally, finally gone is the "expert vision" of the AI enemies even at low skill levels.

And so I started the base campaign all over again. I may be better at it the 3rd or 4th time, but it simply seems like the AI is much more realistic. AI does't zero in on me with the first shot from amazing distanaces. This would not be possible in real life and I am very happy it is no longer happening in Arma.

This revised AI translates into one thing: More fun, and actually more of a challenge as we now must be more skillful in balancing agressive actions and exposure. Whereas before, we would be visually ID'd no matter what we did. Arma's fun level for me now exceeds OFP.

Way to go BIS. Wish you great success!

Rick