Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

What do you think?

Why should I ask?

ill settle the argument:

its in-game photoshop pic crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Are these ingame waterreflections or is it photoshoped artwork?

pic_QG_ilu2.jpg

we all are wishing the same thing that you are thinking but when checking other images:

pic_QG_ilu4.jpg

I guess not, allthough this offcourse is another area and point of view... but in this pic it looks like the sky is photoshopped when comparing it with your pic.

Yeah you’re right, I can’t understand why BIS/505 uses this false eye candy, for one it has no real "sell" value at all.

I think it’s safe to say that 505 have influenced BIS to create pure eye candy that is NOT included in the game, like you get with all other games of today.

What’s so hard about showing off real content that is included in the game, to capture the essence of the game?

At least with codemasters the content release was true to form.

confused_o.gif

Yeah you’re right, I can’t understand why BIS/505 uses this false eye candy, for one it has no real "sell" value at all.

The thing that I find distasteful (assuming that this is in fact

a doctored image and not in fact some amazing graphics

breakthrough) is that they tacitly imply that it is a gameplay

screenshot. If they had any conkers they'd say "artist's

impression" or "based on an in game screenshot".

I think it’s safe to say that 505 have influenced BIS to create pure eye candy that is NOT included in the game, like you get with all other games of today.

What’s so hard about showing off real content that is included in the game, to capture the essence of the game?

At least with codemasters the content release was true to form.

confused_o.gif

Because it's 505/Idea that is editing the images most likely. Atari even used Dsylexics footage with custom sounds.

Let's call it "artwork" and wait until release. Then we can have a closer look into this Expansion. It's so wonderfully inane to discuss about non existent "Queen's Gambit". wink_o.gif

i suppose if the expansion doesnt sell it could be a final financial blow for BIS. If Queens Gambit is like what many people are expecting then the only hope for Arma would be a well publicized Re-released with all the major bugs fixed and QG with it as a Gold edition of some sort.

many people on here played ofp in its early days and some claim it was a few years before the bugs were fixed. I only played from GOTY edition onwards so never experienced these bugs. I WILL buy QG just out of loyalty that i want to see further patches and get Game 2 (just like i still buy sims expansions even though i dont play it often).

I suppose Queens gambit is a ArmA version of red hammer. a campaign and a few extra addons, hopefully with a few more patches and a expansion that brings major game improvements Arma will be the successor that OFP deserves.

also noticed that some people are saying that future patches wont be compatible with "vanilla" arma and you will need QG for the future patches. i cant see this being the case as many games that i play still support older game versions than the latest expansion.

with the help of god the BIS campaign will complete the original campaign, and this other developers campaign will be a nice addition to the group.

Reading these forums lately makes me quite sick to be honest. The ammount of BIS hate is tremendous! Sure, ArmA wasn't and still isn't the greatest game ever, but neither was OFP when it first came out. The fact of the matter is they had money problems and HAD to release it early, Maruk even said this himself. Finding a well placed publisher for something that's considered nique isnt exactly easy.

It's quite disrespectful and just plain rude to "assume" something before you have any facts to back it up. Is it a doctored image? Isn't it? Untill it's out, or we can see the same effect in video's and what not then I think simply assuming it is is doing a great dis-service to BIS.

BIS aren't the biggest development team in the world, nor are they the richest. They're around 40 people, most games released these days have that many people in ONE department alone, an entire game with a scope far beyond all of those other games has been created by this relitively small team, so you should really think of these things in context.

In a way not having a huge faceless very well placed and funded publisher has done them good, it's given them the freedom to do things how they want them, not how their publisher wants it, whilst ironically the lack of funds because of this prevent them from doing so, at least within a reasonable time frame.

I say give it credit for what it is. This is looking more like what Red Hammer was to OFP, which added some new missions, campaign and units to play with. It'll give them some well needed funds to continue to develop it and give it the longevity that OFP enjoyed.

Just have patience and don't be so cynical all the time. I'm sure they're doing the best they can given their circumstances. They supported us, the community for many years after OFP came out, they didn't have to, most game developers don't bother with anywhere near that much time spent supporting a game. Let's support them.

With RL issues pulling me away from gaming the last 3 weeks, I decided to take a stab at some other shooter games namely Fear and GRAW each costing about 45 bucks a pop. I don't know if it's me getting older but these games just don't grab me the way OFP/Arma do. Sure they have some pretty effects but it's more like a novelty effect that lasts maybe a day or 2. The 2 things that matter most to me are tactical realism and open-endeness, meaning i can go/do pretty much wherever with whatever I want.

Granted i'm playing Arma with a sweet beta mod that is soon to be released but this is the only game that has me hungry for more. I know little about Queens Gambit but I'll defintely buy if only to support the 1 company that gives me so much gaming pleasure. Every entertainment in life costs money- usually lots of money so 30-40 bucks is not asking much. Taking my girl to the movies with popcorn costs that much and once it's over, thats it. I've already enjoyed hundreds of hours with Arma so I guess that breaks down to like .005 cents per hour enjoyment.

To me the bottom line is- are BIS trying everything they can to give us the best all-around military sim. for a reasonable price- I for one believe they are.

i think bis were quite honest about publishing and financial issues. in order to further enhance and develop armed assault they need some kind of steady income. this could be acomplished by selling expansion packs.

apparently armed assault was only able to "produce so much" income for them... (at least that is what i understood from the last interview)...

so buying the expansion would be like an investment in the further development of the game.

so i am going to buy it...when it hit the shelves smile_o.gif

I am not going to buy QG I wait till some reviews from other people after the reviews I look if they are positive i buy it.

i think bis were quite honest about publishing and financial issues. in order to further enhance and develop armed assault they need some kind of steady income. this could be acomplished by selling expansion packs.

apparently armed assault was only able to "produce so much" income for them... (at least that is what i understood from the last interview)...

so buying the expansion would be like an investment in the further development of the game.

so i am going to buy it...when it hit the shelves smile_o.gif

if me buying this will make Game2 even better, then I'm in.

Whens it hit the shelfs? Q3 2000-&-what-ever?

wink_o.gif

But seriously, i'll be buying it.

I'll defintely buy it despite the expansion's content sounding a little dull and sparse, I was hoping for more missions in the campagin as well as a few enhancements to the game's features.

BIS on the whole have been good to us and do deserve some support.

I'll defintely buy it despite the expansion's content sounding a little dull and sparse, I was hoping for more missions in the campagin as well as a few enhancements to the game's features.

BIS on the whole have been good to us and do deserve some support.

Quite right, sir.

With out them I would have no forum to chat on and risk my job over wink_o.gif

^^accessing from work

Also OFP kept me going for years. I tried other games, even though the graphics and engine were better, the actul game as a whole didn't even come close.

(EG, Doom3, FarCry, Call of Duty 2 are technologicaly better games, but the replayability of OFP was far superior). Now Armed Assault is here i should be safe through Crysis' and CoD3 and even Flashpoint 2 untill Game 2 is ready.

All Hail BiS! notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

1 Sure, ArmA wasn't and still isn't the greatest game ever, but neither was OFP when it first came out.

2 an entire game with a scope far beyond all of those other games has been created by this relitively small team.

3 In a way not having a huge faceless very well placed and funded publisher has done them good, it's given them the freedom to do things how they want them, not how their publisher wants it, whilst ironically the lack of funds because of this prevent them from doing so, at least within a reasonable time frame.

4 I say give it credit for what it is. This is looking more like what Red Hammer was to OFP.

5 Just have patience and don't be so cynical all the time. I'm sure they're doing the best they can given their circumstances. They supported us, the community for many years after OFP came out, they didn't have to, most game developers don't bother with anywhere near that much time spent supporting a game. Let's support them.

1 OFP might not of been the greatest game when it was originally released, but why make the same mistakes again with ArmA. Are you telling me that its perfectly normal to have to wait 2 years for this game to be as it should have been on release.

2 So why is there a smaller island for MP urban conflict. Because the large island is just too big for online gaming. Either that or they couldnt get the pathfinding issues resolved.

3 Maybe not faceless, but there certainly not posting on these forums much either. There could be a monthly news post or something along those lines but instead we get a blog that failed before it even started. Also i wouldn't agree that they can do as they please, as they HAD to release ArmA unfinnished. Are you saying they planned to do that from the start.

4 How can you give someone credit if you havn't seen the final product. Isn't that just as stupid as giving negative remarks. *cough* fanboy *cough*.

5 How can someone have patience when we know from past experiance that this game will take a fair while yet to get right.

How can you not be cynical when we hear that Qeens Gambit is being made before most of the bugs have been ironed out. It's also coming with patch 1.08. which we already have, so it makes the majority of the extra weapons and vehicles in Queens Gambit meaningless as we already have them.

The tools being delayed is also another way of squeezing that little bit extra out of the fans with this Queens Gambit nonsense.

BIS supported OFP because they wanted to stay in business. There not your best friends, there a business, just like any other. There supporting ArmA in the same way, to stay employed.

Blind faith doesn't help anyone, neither does negativity, but how can you be suprised at negative posts. Buying games created by BIS is like being on a merry-go-round (carousel). Because you end up where you started. OFP after 5 years was great. ArmA after 5 years will be fantastic. But can i wait that long and should i be expected to as a fully paying customer.

Quote[/b] ] but neither was OFP when it first came out.

Yes it was. Its a fact that OFP was less bugged than ARMA. Much less bugged!

-The campaign had few noticeable bugs. ARMA's campaign was so full of bugs, it even distracted you from playing. Check some youtube vids to see what I'm talking about. Or check the bug list.

-The game was less bugged. In ARMA, you can crash with your chopper to the ground from 70 feet and survive and be able to take off again as if you landed. In OFP you couldn't do that from the very beginning. In ARMA you could parachute from 10 feet and survive. In OFP, parachuting from less than 70 feet was instant death.

Not even mentioning the sound bugs and all the other hardcore bugs in ARMA.

Why is it that at the total ARMA forum, I saw people talking about a false picture of ARMA that was used for advertising? In the picture, an AT soldier was shooting from a window, and that is impossible in the game. Yet it was advertised as such in a magazine whistle.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]Yes it was. Its a fact that OFP was less bugged than ARMA. Much less bugged!

OFP 1.0 was a total MESS. Possibly as bad as ArmA was at 1.0, but NOT better in any way as far as I remember.

In the picture, an AT soldier was shooting from a window, and that is impossible in the game. Yet it was advertised as such in a magazine whistle.gif

But maybe i mis-interpreted the post?

Yeah he meant a picture on the Atari thing that showed an OPFOR soldier leaning out of a window on a building you actually can't go inside.

@ Mr. Reality: I agree with your post. Im finding it hard to find faith in BIS. Sure i like the game, and i love OFP, but it seems that this community gives them too many excuses. I dont know how they could release ArmA 1.0 in as bad a state as OFP was in its early days..

And to be honest the performance in the game is not acceptable for these modern standards IMO. Those who have working 8800 GTXs still cant max out the settings, and the performance is erratic, bushes can drop your FPS by up to 20 FPS, urban environments and grass all hammer away at it making the game not smooth.

Seems to me like they've tried to keep up with the times by chucking new graphical effects like 3D grass and HDR into an engine which cannot support it. The grass kills frames, and gets in the way, when in real life you can still look between grass and see fine as you're in a higher up position. And HDR causes so many issues for some people i wont even get started on it.

Im really hoping they DO put some engine improvements or a patch into QG or i dont think im going to buy it.

Quote[/b] ]Im really hoping they DO put some engine improvements or a patch into QG or i dont think im going to buy it.

ok, just dont come bitching about BI when they go into liquidation and game 2 never gets released.

I fail to see the logic in this sort of attitude. BIS are a

business. If I choose to buy any of their products, it'll be

because I think it's worth it, not because of some stupid idea

of "loyalty" to a games software business, or because of

some promise of another game from them several years from

now (if ever). If they go bust because they can't make

products that people want to pay for then that's just  

"business".

Quote[/b] ]ok, just dont come bitching about BI when they go into liquidation and game 2 never gets released.

Is that suppose to be our fault? I'm pretty sure game 2 won't come out before 2010, and I'm pretty sure it will be inferior to OFP.