Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

I personally think Queens Gambit is nothing more than a way to get a quick buck out of the fans. I may be out of line saying that as it's not yet released, but i feel it will be a total con. Two tiny campaigns, six or so new units and a couple of new vehicles. I don't care if is just over 10 quid, it still looks like a f***ing rip off.

Dunno, quite alot people bought RH and that offered less then this expansion.

But hey, good thing is that you arent required to buy it. wink_o.gif

(In that case BI would probably lose alot of 'fans', because then they would be purely milking us, at least now its our own choice to be 'milked' )

But surely if QG comes with like '1 new gun and 1 new vehicle' as stated on the previous page, then if people want to play online with people who bought QG then they'd need those addons? So either QG will have to come with a patch if its optional or a patch will have to follow shortly after...

Therefore all you're really paying for is the campaigns, and i wanna hear what people think first. But i havent got high hopes.. theres two campaigns in it, i was hoping for quality not quantity. But hey, they could still surprise me wink_o.gif

They would only need those addonds if they are used in the mission, mission makers will probably wont use them very often if QG sells bad, or make a QG and a standard version.

Personally I'm looking forward to a nice new island.

i look forward to a nice improvement smile_o.gif

in my opinion the island they mentioned is kinda small..

Quote[/b] ]the island they mentioned is kinda small

Afaik it was mentioned of 2 islands. I haven't searched much yet (i prefer to wait for true official docs), but afaik i don't recall seeing any maps or numbers...

Small isn't always negative imho. In fact, an additional (witch is an expation pack afaik) small but tactical well layout island is much better then a xxxxxxxm² island without it.

Sure it will has it limitations (multiple mission objectives example), but on the other hand it might be more optimized and load faster (for you mission editors wink_o.gif ).

In the end, i think it will open some doors and save others some amount of work when creating new islands with the expantion buildings and objects as base. If i can trust the pictures, most of it is based or reworked work of CLSA (typo?) Lizardia or TP3. About last (TP3) i know i and others had good times with it, so if only for that i think the expantion could have some potentional.

http://www.armedassault.com/queensgambit.html

Quote[/b] ]New Environments:

Porto Island: designed for smaller multiplayer scenarios and

offers perfect environment for intense battles in urban terrain

United Sahrani: United Sahrani contains new structures built

since the original story of Armed Assault with dozens of

improvements

As far as I can see, there is one new island called Porto, and a reworked United Sahrani island with new structures built since the ArmA campaign.

*edit* D'oh biggrin_o.gif too late by 3 minutes wink_o.gif

@Dallas: Thanks, but nothing new under the sun and that was what i was refurring too. As long there aren't any topo maps or numbers availible it is guess work.

[slapsmyself-mode] I suppose Porto will be simular to its TP3 little brother, witch if so is small but allows some very nice mission ideas [/slapmyself-mode]

Its great to see small settlements (with open houses) for raid operations... and to take a defense position when fleeing the much stronger enemy wink_o.gif

any kind of building works for defensive position but those with many floors are the best imo smile_o.gif i love buildings that have closed doors so i have to open them and discover more of the building. would be cool with some research center or big radar installation or whatever with lots of rooms and doors so there would be large explorable indoor areas for CQB players vs players action. smile_o.gif

@Dallas: Thanks, but nothing new under the sun and that was what i was refurring too. As long there aren't any topo maps or numbers availible it is guess work.

[slapsmyself-mode] I suppose Porto will be simular to its TP3 little brother, witch if so is small but allows some very nice mission ideas [/slapmyself-mode]

You can actually see across the entire island in one of the screenshots. Although I suppose it could be really long or widen out at some other point.

You can actually see across the entire island in one of the screenshots. Although I suppose it could be really long or widen out at some other point.

What screenshot?

Just a thought; Do you think the King and Queen (or even the president) will feature in this title?

The King and President models are already in ArmA, but were never used...I wonder why?

lol never heard about the king and president models, is there away to see them in editor?

i like Arma very much but sincerely i don't see the point on wasting any more money in an expansion when Arma 2 is going to be released next year and for what i have seen it will be better than this one , especially regarding AI behaviour . If Arma2 would be launched as an expansion of Arma1 it would be another completely different case.

Guest Ti0n3r
. The guy is talking briefly about how 1.09 will only bring minor fixes and changes to the engine. So sounds like QG will come with version 1.09 after all wow_o.gif O_o

. The guy is talking briefly about how 1.09 will only bring minor fixes and changes to the engine. So sounds like QG will come with version 1.09 after all wow_o.gif O_o

Im still kinda dissapointed that Porto is about as big as the pockets in a woman's jeans.

EDIT: What did the guy do at 1:24?  wow_o.gif

Yeah great pathfinding with that technical.. icon_rolleyes.gif

I thought the whole idea of BISs games was the massive enviroments, SP and MP. Now with that pathetic excuse for an island being solely for MP, it kinda makes me wonder why they had to do this. was it because the larger islands are just too big. The town on that island wasnt all that big either. It was no city thats for sure.

Also will the new sahrani have this better urban pathfinding.

On a sour note. Those buildings look very similar to the VBS1 terrain pack 3 islands. I paid good money for that pack and if i was to buy this expansion i would be buying the same thing twice...

Im still kinda dissapointed that Porto is about as big as the pockets in a woman's jeans.

Yes, that tiny Island is a big joke as an addon!

First you bitch the island is too big and it lags. now you say this new island is too small?

Emoticons.gif

I don't like the small scale of QG. Every time I see some news about it the same stuff appears, it is begining to look like we will be paying for a patch, an island and a rebel technical.

If we don't buy it the community will be split... I am surprised the players that have been in the community since OFP have not called for it to be boycotted.

We will have to see what happens.

Porto is nice stuff for small coops. I like that smile_o.gif

Not impressed with what I've seen so far (this video and trailer).

So we're getting a new, small island and a technical, and a few little fixes here and there?

Hmmm... huh.gif

I'm feeling more and more abandoned and cheated by BIS by the day goodnight.gif