Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Cold War Rearmed Discussion

man I never knew ambush could end with you nearly winning. but then getting blown apart by a bunch of tanks. and apcs.

No news, really not. We're busy with reinventing the wheel we're forced to.

The fact that most of the people who recently joined us, saying "no problemo, can do this and that for you in like nothing" by now disappeared without a word or just don't deliver the promised stuff doesn't make things happen faster.

Unfortunately the people who could help us making a huge step forward decided to either ignore our request for help or are too busy with their own projects.

We make some progress with the islands. Berghoff, Planck and OFMan working hard to make them really nice though there are some bugs left to care about.

The campaign missions are done, but need betatesting and adjusting some parameters due to the changed AI behaviour.

The biggest problem here are the missing OFP animations, esp. for the cutscenes and intros.

Our planned release date was xmas, it shouldn't happen for the above reasons. sad_o.gif

As it looks right now we're not able to release before ArmA2 is out. It might be possible that we release a public beta when the campaign and islands are done with the rest released as it is or with placeholders.

Thanks for your continued interest in our 'little' Mod and a huge thanks to everyone who was or is kind enough to donate their models and skills to us, your support is highly appreciated. Without these guys, we wouldn't be where we are now.

The campaign missions are done, but need betatesting and adjusting some parameters due to the changed AI behaviour.

The biggest problem here are the missing OFP animations, esp. for the cutscenes and intros.

I want to show some respect to them that are converting the campaigns to arma. I have done a crude conversion of a few missions to Sahrani and the AI is so different its difficult to get the wanted result sometimes...

I also want to give some encouragement to the whole team. 3 things I been waiting for most, FDF, ACE and CWR (in no particular order..).

thx for the status update. it's a shame to hear that so many people are working on different mods or lose interest and only a few can remember to the roots.

i will waiting for the full cwr mod to play the origin campaign.

Hey W0lle,

first many thanks for the information's. smile_o.gif

I'm sure many many people out there are still interested in CWR.

Little?? CWR is a huge project! And still my personally favorite project of ArmA.

It's really bad to hear what happend to CWR...

I alway's have CWR running every time i play ArmA. ArmA without CWR would be something like Flashpoint without Resistance! smile_o.gif

I would really LOVE to help you guy's, but i only have a good knowledge in .sqs, .sqf and Database Scripting...  sad_o.gif

Anyway... if there's something i could do feel free to contact me.

So long. Best wishes!!

Wouldn't it help to keep your team together and working if BIS offered some 'carrot' for those who complete a significant work on the CWR project? Are they offering carrots? No you don't have to tell me, I am not expecting you to reveal that. It's just a comment to BIS.

I'm saying this because I think it would be a real shame if this project dies. BIS should in my opinion even be prepared to pay a little for the volunteers to keep it alive. It would be peanuts for BIS, but even a small compensation might do wonders for the volunteers' motivation.

Please people, forget about that BIS rumor that goes around since the first day. We might have received some "startup help" from BIS but that's about it. It's not like we can go to them and say "hey guys we need this or that or help with something". We're no different than any other Mod around.

Quote[/b] ]I'm saying this because I think it would be a real shame if this project dies.

It won't die, simply because of the fact that too many people spent too much of their free time into this (and still doing). It might take much longer to finish it than we expected but one day there will be a CWR 1.0 release.

As for motivation, it's not that we (the core team) are unmotivated. The problem are as always the "external" people which are supposed to do only a small piece of work but then never deliver it (but were very fast in downloading the beta builds). So besides working on the islands and campaign, we're sitting around and waiting for the externals to deliver the stuff they promised us.

Quote[/b] ]I'm saying this because I think it would be a real shame if this project dies. BIS should in my opinion even be prepared to pay a little for the volunteers to keep it alive. It would be peanuts for BIS, but even a small compensation might do wonders for the volunteers' motivation.

haha it dont work like that. You throw a bone and the others will want a peice of the pie too :P

Quote[/b] ]I'm saying this because I think it would be a real shame if this project dies. BIS should in my opinion even be prepared to pay a little for the volunteers to keep it alive. It would be peanuts for BIS, but even a small compensation might do wonders for the volunteers' motivation.

haha it dont work like that. You throw a bone and the others will want a peice of the pie too :P

Yeah. I stand to personally benefit from such a scheme but I think that it is a very bad idea.

The problem are as always the "external" people which are supposed to do only a small piece of work but then never deliver it (but were very fast in downloading the beta builds). So besides working on the islands and campaign, we're sitting around and waiting for the externals to deliver the stuff they promised us.

it looks the same in every mod

most of people just want to get addons that others do not have

i remember my OFP work, i made a lot of addons, i was asking  hundred times

new missionmakers were appearing "please send me link to addons, than i prepare missions" and... nothing happened except them playing unreleased addons

the same was now in ARMA, thats why you make mistake if you relay on promisses, people make false promisses to get mod/addons before other players

every mod has the same personal problem

i can just double your words, cause i have the same - mostly missionmakers, in OFP ca. 15 people promissed and done nothing

here in my mods, lots of people asking "i can help you with missions, please give me link to mod to work with" but after my words "please send missions, we will implement them into mod" - no reaction from their side, they just lie to get beta

every mod has the same problems as you

vilas: I have different kind of problem - I have around 160 missions done but they all use various addons and island, so I cannot release them as a pack smile_o.gif now I need to take at least a week off if I can merge them with a single island with one or two addons (ACE/FDF seem suitable)...

Hi, it's very easy to loose interest in this game due to the AI behaviour

that difficults when don't just make impossible to enjoy the game.

As example we could take the Opteryx's Avgani v1.3 map; where the

AI refuse to do most of the things that you order 'em to do. It's not

just that the people wants to play with X or Z addon and don't give

back, it's that even when you've something good or really good...

the AI behaviour in the game kills any possible functionality of those

addons or mods; so you just give up because the whole thing sucks.

And we don't want to play to the ArmA just for take pimp screenshots

of the pimp addons that we've installed but that we can't enjoy

properly due to the fact that the AI in this game sucks. Booth in

open field and in urban enviroments. Let's C ya

*EDIT: But it's true too; there's a lot of rat bastard that asks you

to get your addons or textures and promisses you to give something

back for that and that's the last time that you've seen that bastard

and forget about whatever he/she had told you. They dissapear

as if a neutron bomb were been thrown in their place; which sadly

in some cases... don't happens, or if it happened... i didn't seen in

the news.

Yeah.  I stand to personally benefit from such a scheme but I think that it is a very bad idea.

I concur. I would even consider quitting. I'm not going to do it for money, because it would add pressure. I model whenever i can shovel some time free in my schedule and when i have fun modelling.

Paying money for a non-commercial mod is the worst thing you can do. As soon as money comes in, no matter how much it is, even more problems arise than are solved.

No good idea, really not. smile_o.gif

Well my comment about the compensation was mainly targeted at BIS. I think it is in their interest that the project gets completed.

Whether you think it is a good idea or not to give compensation for the team members might not be so important.

As I think that the project can and should be carried on to ArmA 2 and that's where the biggest benefit can be gained from this project I think. I mean biggest benefit for BIS, not just for the user community.

It is probably a good idea to make an official expansion from this project in Arma2. I would gladly pay $50 or whatever for the expansion that the community had created. But there is a flip side to that coin. Many of the addonmakers love the fact that they are doing it for free. So, this should be decided between BIS and the project creators. Whatever we, common users, say here doesn't really mater. But I agree with Wipman that all these nice addons are totaly get ruined by the stupid AI of Arma. I almost want to say pearls on the swine. This game engine needs to be overhauled. Adding nice features to a broken car, doesn't make it a new model. Until I hear that the AI in Arma2 has been fixed, I am not paying these crooks in BIS another dime. So it would be a shame for the CWR guys to spend so much time creating a mod, but in the end, it is all just new a "new paint for a broken car".

Quote[/b] ] "new paint for a broken car".

but beautifull and sweetest memories bringing smile_o.gif

OFP had fantastic atmoshphere, but can it be bring into new environment ? Arma is too clean, OFP was dirty, and it was really cold war on dirty streets

Arma is too nice

I don't agree. CWR demo proved that OFP feeling can be recreated in ARMA.

the effort shouldn't be wasted as BIS said that arma addons and mods should be compatible with arma2. that extends their life a shit load and adds better AI into these great efforts.

new paint on a car that maybe could be a new lovely car in a few months. it is up to BIS to deliver the goods in arma2.

All this talk about how "BIS will do it better in the next version" reminds too much of the time when we all waited for Arma. Well, I for one was dissapointed in Arma. Probably not because of what Arma was, but what we all told ourselves to expect. smile_o.gif In my opinion the game was only about 50% ready. Whatever BIS is saying what they will do better, they say it to sell a product, which is understandable. When I hear from you guys that the broken car got finaly re-designed, I'll get the game.

the effort shouldn't be wasted as BIS said that arma addons and mods should be compatible with arma2.

Hmm... If I'm not mistaken, just the same was said about OFP addons, which should be compartible with ArmA1 whistle.gif