Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

The thing that stood out most in these VBS2 pics for me was they are still using the old sky, Armed Assaults new sky looks far better.

BTW if you guys didn't notice the VBS2 website was launched on the 28th this month, it shows some media that hopefully ArmA will have in the future like real time mission editor - http://www.vbs2.com

A bit offtopic, but http://www.bistudio.com/ currently has 5 recent VBS2 screenshots on its News Page, which are really good. I was interested in how crisp they look. With the lack of news lately, I thought any related news might be good.

pic2,

This looks a lot like ArmA to me....

huh.gif

A bit offtopic, but http://www.bistudio.com/ currently has 5 recent VBS2 screenshots on its News Page, which are really good. I was interested in how crisp they look. With the lack of news lately, I thought any related news might be good.

pic2,

This looks a lot like ArmA to me....

huh.gif

base of engine is of course same ... with huge modifications on "simulation" part wink_o.gif ... like way bigger and more detailed urban areas , after action analysis of operation and so on ...

just check VBS1 video for load master training ...

You must see differences against "old" flashpoint resistance engine smile_o.gif

same with VBS2 ... plus updates done for VBS2 in future "can" slip to Armed Assault and vice versa ... depends if other project benefits from ...

What I like about those screens is that ArmA will have the potential to look like that too, once the mods start coming out. I haven't much care at all for VBS2 itself, but since it and ArmA share the same engine, this means that just about everything you see in VBS2 is at least possible to implement in ArmA.... for the most part....

- dRB

I don't get it, those look exactly like the ArmA shots apart from the obvious differences such as the trees which don't look better than ArmA and the houses that don't look better than ArmA. How exactly are those amazing if ArmA shots are not? Must be some kind of psychological effect.

I was thinking the same thing. The rubbish textures look pretty bad, the cars look like cut outs. Not important points as its for Military Simulation but they don't look amazing compared to anything we've seen of ArmA.

Daniel @ Oct. 30 2006,19:28)]I was thinking the same thing. The rubbish textures look pretty bad, the cars look like cut outs. Not important points as its for Military Simulation but they don't look amazing compared to anything we've seen of ArmA.

I have to agree with this. Those screens reminded me of JO for some reason... wink_o.gif

Arma appears to have a higher quality of models and textures for it's city-scapes than VBS2 but from the look of those shots VBS2 has a slightly more realistic looking object density and untidyness.

I can't really complain about the quality of the Arma environments but as comparison with the VBS shots shows, Arma can be a little too neat and clean. The VBS shots are from a very different area of the world but still ...

Edit: Another difference - In the background of the shot with all the cars there seems to be a *massive* industrial building on a scale we haven't seen for OFP or Arma.

Mods will always ALWAYS improve on the creators (BI). "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a mod team to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" confused_o.gif

Daniel @ Oct. 30 2006,13:28)]I was thinking the same thing. The rubbish textures look pretty bad, the cars look like cut outs. Not important points as its for Military Simulation but they don't look amazing compared to anything we've seen of ArmA.

Hm... that got me thinking.

If you were to use cars that were half the poly count as a standard car you can drive ingame, would you be able to have 2 low poly cars present at the same performance as 1 high poly car?

I would much rather see towns/cities this clutered then what I've seen from ArmA.

http://www.bistudio.com/pics/news/VBS2_Serious_Games_1024_03.jpg

Don't get me wrong, ArmA looks great, but I would rather have a "more realistic looking object density and untidyness - GBee" even if that meant having lower poly objects.

it sure is , i wonder if gaia can make top3 for arma and maybe add a live editor smile_o.gif.

i did see something like this in ofp ,(no comparison here). it involved vektorbesons debug console and some drop dialogues. was kinda raw but it was live .

ARMA = maps made for user friendlyness, alot of hard cover, less realistic cities, somewhat constructed for multiplayer.

VBS2 = cities made after the real thing, sometimes more cover, sometimes less cover, more cluttered maps etc.

I rather see the design philosophy of VBS2 in arma than some easy transition for bf2 kiddies.

For instance, why is there a mountain in the middle of some cities in arma? I have NEVER seen something like that in my life, the answer, to have a vantage point for snipers...

Of course modders can fix this, but the question is, will those levels be as good as the BIA ones? Will they be modeled after real cities and not only what the modders THINK should be in the city?

For instance, why is there a mountain in the middle of some cities in arma? I have NEVER seen something like that in my life, the answer, to have a vantage point for snipers...

There is one big hill in the middle of the city where i live (i live in the Netherlands, so remember that EVERYTHING is flat here), there is a small castle thing standing on top of it (probably 500 years old, and build there because its easy to defend blabla you know it) so it can have 'historical' purposes, but there are several other reasons why there could be a hill in the middle of a city (is the city on a steep slope? How easy is it to dig there? etc)

I find Everon and Malden quite realistic looking islands, and i dont think that BIS would suddenly change their whole view on things and would design their islands only for players to make missions on (they just add interesting places for missions, but nothing really unrealistic, maybe a bit unlogical sometimes)

The point I'm trying to make is that VBS2 is made for realism, ARMA is not, no matter how much BIS says they're adhering to realism, it could be way better...

And I think it should be better.

Quote[/b] ]For instance, why is there a mountain in the middle of some cities in arma? I have NEVER seen something like that in my life, the answer, to have a vantage point for snipers...

I have seen an entire town perched on a mesa several hundred meters high tounge2.gif .

BTW, OFP2 had better have a real time editor like that one in VBS2, because that looked like an amazing tool.

I'm glad that the game isn't much realistic than it will be.

From what I've seen and know from OFP it is pretty nice centered between real world realism and gameworld realism.

And even though this maybe not be the answer you want, it all WILL be modded by the community, and there will also bound to be the less realistic mods around in a year. Why? because it's a game and not everyone wants ultra realism over fun.

Me, well I guess it will be the same for me as in OFP, make it a bit more realistic and I be hidding behind my desk to survive longer than 5min. but I don't really like it to be less realistic because it's less to challenging. So I'd probably play without most of the mods for the first years wink_o.gif

Let's all just wait untill this game comes out, VBS2 is due Q2 so probably almost as far ready as ArmA so I guess anything can happen for ArmA in the future smile_o.gif

yeah vbs has that psycological impact, this is what they use in the real world and i want to be there sorta mentality, but yeah i think one of the things that most people want is that real time editor because it makes mission creating so much more easier (atleast by the looks of it.) any way im happy with what ive seen in ArmA, anything else is purely creaming on the cake.

rofl.gif

Nah, that's what I'm going to do AFTER I get ArmA lol!