CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP Terrains

@CUP

Since reverting back to the old pre version 1.0 @cup_terrains these problems have gone. Hope you guys will fix this in the future. Obviously there's going to be issues, but  still love the work you're doing though guys. Appreciated ;)

arma3_2015_12_26_12_48_07.png 

arma3_2015_12_26_12_52_10.png

arma3_2015_12_26_12_52_18.png

arma3_2015_12_26_12_52_21.png

arma3_2015_12_26_12_52_30.png

arma3_2015_12_26_12_52_44.png

arma3_2015_12_26_12_52_55.png

arma3_2015_12_26_12_53_07.png

Is there any difference between Sahrani and United Sahrani?  They seem identical. 

Is there any difference between Sahrani and United Sahrani?  They seem identical. 

There's a TV station on a hill near Bagango on United. Probably more...

By "backward compatible", did it mean I can install any mod that requires AiA and they will still work after I change from AiA to CUP? Or do I need to wait for a proper update from another mod that requires AiA?

By "backward compatible", did it mean I can install any mod that requires AiA and they will still work after I change from AiA to CUP? Or do I need to wait for a proper update from another mod that requires AiA?

Yes, all mods, missions based on AiA will work with CUP.

• Like 1

The TV/Radio station, some rebuilded ruins, some new/replaced buildings and the DMZ/border is different.

OK guys, now a strange question. I just downloaded cup_terrains and did a quick test with Summer Chernarus. Just me on empty map, same mods loaded as I typically do, ArmA used the same user profile (I checked), had some silk 60 FPS after some seconds of mods init...

BUT

Turning around felt so weird. Felt like slowed down, like with a rotation blur value of 500, I cannot really describe. Turninig around is different to what it is with other maps. Did not do any investigation yet, just my quick question:

ANYONE?

Yes, all mods, missions based on AiA will work with CUP.

Can I install CUP so that I can join server that somehow still require AiA?

That depends on the server - it needs to allow joining with CUP.

Is the upgrade from the original release the same size? I don't want to use PW6 as it has a mind of its own, and I don't fancy another 8GB download, as I'm not n unlimited bandwidth either. 

Not sure if it's related to CUP's but my Hindu Kush now fails to show, it was fine with AiATP, no drama's though, I can wait, to many good maps now to investigate :D

Thanks you very much for your hard work!

Any chance you guys plan on adding The winter Cherno map to this pack? i asked the author of the map but he made it sound like it was up to you guys. Either way great work on all of the terrains.

If he donates his source files to us and agrees with a release under APL-SA license - with pleasure.

• Like 3

If he donates his source files to us and agrees with a release under APL-SA license - with pleasure.

Well need some winter coats from cup units also then. Don't want to get frostbite  ;)

I was wondering, Some maps require AiA, but when I use CUP it still says AiA is missing, do I need to have both CUP and AiA on at the same time to play those maps?

I was wondering, Some maps require AiA, but when I use CUP it still says AiA is missing, do I need to have both CUP and AiA on at the same time to play those maps?

If mods or missions require AiA(terrain pack), use it. You shouldn't use CUP terrains then. It will be a long process until most mods and missions convert to CUP.

If mods or missions require AiA(terrain pack), use it. You shouldn't use CUP terrains then. It will be a long process until most mods and missions convert to CUP.

No, that's not true. CUP Terrains is backwards compatible to AiA TP, so every mission or map created with AiA TP can also be used with CUP Terrains. If you encounter missing compatibility entries that prevent a map or mission created with AiA TP to load with CUP Terrains, please report that on our bugtracker (http://bugs.cup-arma3.org) so we can fix that.

• Like 1

No, that's not true. CUP Terrains is backwards compatible to AiA TP, so every mission or map created with AiA TP can also be used with CUP Terrains. If you encounter missing compatibility entries that prevent a map or mission created with AiA TP to load with CUP Terrains, please report that on our bugtracker (http://bugs.cup-arma3.org) so we can fix that.

Just apply 1.1 update for CUP and problem will gone.

There was an update that should fix this issue.

Actually, CUP can replace AiA terrain pack. It contains a few compatibility pbo's, although one of them was missing from the initial release. This was fixed in the meantime

You do not gain much hard disk space compared to AiATP.

I deleted all maps except Takistan, Chernarus and Zargabad from CUP_Terrains and after that, it is the same size as ALL of the AiATP maps together.

In other words, now we get three maps for the same hdd space as 15 before.

But I guess that is what happens when you add better quality stuff.

I deleted all maps except Takistan, Chernarus and Zargabad from CUP_Terrains and after that, it is the same size as ALL of the AiATP maps together.

But I guess that is what happens when you add better quality stuff.

The individual maps are rather small, so you don't gain a lot by deleting them.

If harddisk space is all you care about, by all means, stick with AiATP.

If OTOH you care about things like fixed vegetation, inland water, all the other fixes, and continued development... well, I'll leave it at this. CUP_Terrains and the rest of CUP is an offer we make. We're not trying to force anybody into using it-

• Like 6

The individual maps are rather small, so you don't gain a lot by deleting them.

For anyone wondering, this matches (if not in exact file size) the situation when using the AiA TP "Terrain Data Pack" (equivalent to CUP Terrains Core).

Back in AiA TP they were also the bigger maps file-size-wise too... for the most part you deleted the maps that would have helped the least at keeping file size down.

The link to the biki is the most complete list, but it's not super complete, I might update that page at some point with pictures and a more thorough list.

@CUP

Since reverting back to the old pre version 1.0 @cup_terrains these problems have gone. Hope you guys will fix this in the future. Obviously there's going to be issues, but  still love the work you're doing though guys. Appreciated ;)

Not sure where the issues with a few of the A2 buildings came from, we will look into it and it will be fixed. This is the most likely culprit for lower frame rates in Chernarus as well

What backward compatible means for us, is that ALL of our pbo's mirror the names/structure of AiA, and include the AIA entries for "cfgpatches". This means that when arma loads CUP, any mod or mission that checks to see if an AIA pbo is loaded, will see it as having been loaded.

The ONLY known issue at this point, is dependencies as defined by PWS, because that is a 3rd party hard coded association. Their program says you have to use X mod with Y mod, and until they change that there, there will be problems for anyone using a different one than the one they have assigned as the right one.

This is both a blessing and a curse, as there have been reports of crashing on 3rd party terrains with CUP_Terrains that were not crashing on AiA, so for those it would certainly be a more "user friendly" feature to prevent those problems.

Hopefully the root cause of the crashes will be identified and fixed, and then it won't be an issue.

OK guys, now a strange question. I just downloaded cup_terrains and did a quick test with Summer Chernarus. Just me on empty map, same mods loaded as I typically do, ArmA used the same user profile (I checked), had some silk 60 FPS after some seconds of mods init...

BUT

Turning around felt so weird. Felt like slowed down, like with a rotation blur value of 500, I cannot really describe. Turninig around is different to what it is with other maps. Did not do any investigation yet, just my quick question:

ANYONE?

I believe some of the bugged buildings in Chernarus are causing the low frame rates, I experience the same thing, Lower than expected frame rates in downtown Chernogorsk, and literally half the frames facing west than if I face east. I'm FAIRLY sure it's caused by flawed objects I hope to have a look at it in the coming weeks, I'm still in the process of getting back "up and running" in the development.

Servers, Like PWS, have options that allow them to have a hardset requirement for WHICH mod you use, so the answer to your question is MAYBE. It depends on the server, I'm fairly sure most servers are setup to only allow you to join with the EXACT set of addons they're running, but some more advanced admins have it setup so you can play no matter which A1/A2 backward compatibility mod you have running.

This should be fixed in 1.0.1 please reconfirm you are on the current version. If the problem persists, please report which terrain you have the problem on.