Why is it that Bohemia is not fixing the slow turning of AI to face an enemy's direction? they're focused on infantry aspect and this is not being fixed?

Try playing with a Headless Client controlling your AI.

If we don't voice it, it will stay in the game as they might notice the bugs

yeah, but at the same time it's not necessary to point out every issue with the sounds, when it clearly says they're a work in progress and some are missing. or that errors pop up, when the changelog says errors might pop up

I'm not usually moved to rants, but I'm really disappointed with this mornings update.

First off... who sat at his desk, launched the game, saw 3 script and missing paa errors BEFORE the game is even loaded and said, "Yes, that's good. Release that." FFS guys.

Somewhere out there is a BI disclaimer about how dev builds do not undergo internal QA...

This is good imho, after all the gun is being fired within inches of your ear.

I agree.

I also like new sound improvements a lot. Even though the game is going to be broken for a while

I tried playing with LOITER waypoint in the editor ... didnt seems to do much. I was expecting the troops to sit down, light a fire, spark up a fag or something !

Maybe keep loud of the weapons but include ear plugs.

I'm having huge crashes with the message "Steam Ticket Null" in this update, it never happened before with me but now it is constant. Is it something i'm messing with?

what does this mean?

A headless client means the AI is calculated on a different server/client and is thus MUCH more effective, running at 600-1000% higher simulation framerate independent from player count. It's the future of coop :)

A headless client means the AI is calculated on a different server/client and is thus MUCH more effective, running at 600-1000% higher simulation framerate independent from player count. It's the future of coop :)

Is this a real thing thats currently available to us? Or is this some proposed concept that has yet to be applied?

Or maybe perhaps this is just an overworded way of describing a dedicated server running all the calculations while the clients just render everything. Which is what we have already and that I am aware of.

Try playing with a Headless Client controlling your AI.

place one single AI in the editor and run up to him from behind. make him notice you. then run around him and watch him being a retard.

please don't find weird excuses for this huge issue that has been left untouched since the older games. i know that a headless client (which is an extra server doing ONLY ai calculations) makes them perform their flanking maneuvers faster and all that but the described problem isn't an MP one. it happens always. not only on overloaded servers. i repeat. it happens in the editor with one single unit. even if an extra computer running AI only would fix every issue with arma AI, how can that be the solution? do we have to run arma on 2 pcs now?

i'm all for being understanding about BI being an indie team and limits of resources but this has to be fixed, period. it's broken and ruins big parts of the game. i can live with the AI not getting new features but for christ's sake please fix the things that simply don't work. i won't start about AI driving.

sorry about the rant but this is holding back the game so much that it's making me rage.

place one single AI in the editor and run up to him from behind. make him notice you. then run around him and watch him being a retard.

please don't find weird excuses for this huge issue that has been left untouched since the older games. i know that a headless client (which is an extra server doing ONLY ai calculations) makes them perform their flanking maneuvers faster and all that but the described problem isn't an MP one. it happens always. not only on overloaded servers. i repeat. it happens in the editor with one single unit. even if an extra computer running AI only would fix every issue with arma AI, how can that be the solution? do we have to run arma on 2 pcs now?

i'm all for being understanding about BI being an indie team and limits of resources but this has to be fixed, period. it's broken and ruins big parts of the game. i can live with the AI not getting new features but for christ's sake please fix the things that simply don't work. i won't start about AI driving.

sorry about the rant but this is holding back the game so much that it's making me rage.

Don't apologize, I agree with you completely and there's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about it.

Yep it's a very real problem. AI combat feels horrible and dated. Imagine what urban conflict would be like if the AI were acting 600% faster? Turning fluidly and moving quickly, making actions in rapid succession. Not move 50m, stop. Slowly turn 90 degrees clockwise and then stop. Move another 50m. It's gotta get fixed.

going back to the stable build takes a 1.8gb update

they must have saved a lot of space with the new audio file format

Have you used the HC BB? The AI's reaction time is infinitely better. Yes, client run AI is terrible, and we can all agree that it needs some serious improvement. But before you start raging, try the method out first. It actually does make a hell of a difference, even with just a single AI.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Is this a real thing thats currently available to us? Or is this some proposed concept that has yet to be applied?

Or maybe perhaps this is just an overworded way of describing a dedicated server running all the calculations while the clients just render everything. Which is what we have already and that I am aware of.

It's available in both A3 and A2, and is used to great effect on the server I play on most. If you want to see it in action, visit this server: http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/5.9.50.115:2300/

And your right, it is a dedicated server (though atm limited to running as a client, minus the rendering) running all the calculations. But in this way, it allows another client outside of the server app to calculate all AI simulations separate from the server either on the same machine, or another networked machine to a much greater effect.

TheCapulet, or anyone for that matter who knows how to set up a headless client, could you explain how to do it step by step as the group I game with struggled to make it work.

Yes, it is possible since an Arma 2 Beta patch...

@BadBenson

I absolutely agree that the AI turning speed has to be adjusted in some way! It should just not be possible to run around an alerted unit with it lagging behind. Changing that is a sensitive matter as this could also result in more "superhuman" bots but such a situation can simply not be allowed to happen.

Edited by PurePassion

Have you used the HC BB? The AI's reaction time is infinitely better. Yes, client run AI is terrible, and we can all agree that it needs some serious improvement. But before you start raging, try the method out first. It actually does make a hell of a difference, even with just a single AI.

my point was that it's not the solution to the problem that was described. if you think that it would be ok that a headless client is needed to have working AI then i can't help you:p seriously. i know there are mods and methods. but let's face it. the AI is just broken in that regard. and yea i'm only talking about them turning in slow motion (and maybe driving) not "fancy" features like actually being able to fight inside houses...

Changing that is a sensitive matter as this could also result in more "superhuman" bots

i'd rather have them insta head shot me from 5 m instead of 500 m, like they do now, to be honest. i'm not hating on the whole AI here but that bug or what ever you wanna call it. it's just ridiculous and has to be removed as soon as possible. it's the number one cause for AI failure. i raally hope BI knows about the impact this would have. it was one of the main critiques about arma games in the past. fixing just that would catapult the game from "just another updated arma" to amazing. at least for me.

going back to the stable build takes a 1.8gb update

they must have saved a lot of space with the new audio file format

Back up your sound files next time...

No dev branch update today?

Back up your sound files next time...

probably a good idea if you plan on switching back and forth a lot. I wasn't complaining though, just pointing out the difference in size

No dev branch update today?

They have plenty to do so i wouldn't expect much for a few days

Yeah same here. Though I reckon it's intentional that any script errors show up :)

For the record, are you also having problems with the OPFOR RHIB when being in the rear gunner seat, seeing no textures?

Edited by PurePassion