Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Goes best under "reveals":

Does anyone know something more about the speech BIS held on the PIXEL 6 conference and where the community could find more information about it?

The challenging art of freedom

» Bohemia Interactive: Stepan Kment, Ivan Buchta

The presentation deals with the development challenges associated with creating an openly structured gameplay in a military simulation game. It provides overview and assessment of general requirements, technological limitations and design solutions employed in the development of the Bohemia Interactive’s past titles. Animations and environment are discussed in greater detail.

An insight to real time animation presentation subsystem in Arma engine is provided. Attendees will be given various examples and case analyses of real in-game situations, which may help them either to design gameplay to avoid possible issues or to design animation subsystem of their real-time engine in order to handle such issues acceptably.

The overview of the terrain creation method is provided as another example of the unique approach to Bohemia Interactive’s gaming projects. The requirements of game design and relationships of the gameplay and terrain are widely discussed, with the in-game examples of the resulting virtual landscapes. Also, the AI-related aspects of the terrain design are brought to attention of the attendees.

The speech is concluded by the examples of the discussed areas in the development in Arma 3. The acceptable level of abstraction in a game presentation is discussed as a viable approach in a large-scale simulation.

@Dwarden, could you maybe help us out a little bit?

Thanks a lot and with best regards

Pure :)

Goes best under "reveals":

Does anyone know something more about the speech BIS held on the PIXEL 6 conference and where the community could find more information about it?

The challenging art of freedom

» Bohemia Interactive: Stepan Kment, Ivan Buchta

The presentation deals with the development challenges associated with creating an openly structured gameplay in a military simulation game. It provides overview and assessment of general requirements, technological limitations and design solutions employed in the development of the Bohemia Interactive’s past titles. Animations and environment are discussed in greater detail.

An insight to real time animation presentation subsystem in Arma engine is provided. Attendees will be given various examples and case analyses of real in-game situations, which may help them either to design gameplay to avoid possible issues or to design animation subsystem of their real-time engine in order to handle such issues acceptably.

The overview of the terrain creation method is provided as another example of the unique approach to Bohemia Interactive’s gaming projects. The requirements of game design and relationships of the gameplay and terrain are widely discussed, with the in-game examples of the resulting virtual landscapes. Also, the AI-related aspects of the terrain design are brought to attention of the attendees.

The speech is concluded by the examples of the discussed areas in the development in Arma 3. The acceptable level of abstraction in a game presentation is discussed as a viable approach in a large-scale simulation.

@Dwarden, could you maybe help us out a little bit?

Thanks a lot and with best regards

Pure :)

I already made a thread about this awhile ago, but there was no official response:(

yup, sadly :(

maybe someone can help us (also adressing the community ;) )

Edited by PurePassion

They're probably focusing on getting Take on Helis out the door right now. ;)

Give them time, they don't owe us anything.

Give them time, they don't owe us anything.

True. Pushing devs just ends like with most of quickly released games nowadays: Releaseday-version bugged as hell -> unplayable for most -> rant -> pre-patch coming out to get ppl playing -> more rant about things that should have been fixed in the first place -> another patch ...and so on.

Someone needs to sweep away the dust and cobwebs in the "ARMA 3 Latest Press coverage" thread.

Except a game if they want my £30.

A game doesn't create itself while devs are posting pics on the forums...

Except a game if they want my £30.

Do they have your money for ArmA 3 yet? Then they don't owe you anything.

My god gents, give it a rest will ya! There is at least another 9 - 10 months BEFORE the game is possibly going to be released.

BIS do not owe anybody anything in my opinion. If you do not like the game when it comes out then go to the shop etc you got it from and ask for a refund. Thats the only people who will owe you something then.

Hi, damn... not again...!!, seeing those two pics of the island on the 1St post you can see how the bushes and grass don't share the same lighting values than the ground; all my hopes on this field has gone down. Let's C ya

?? How come? dont you think there are more important things to do at first?

Just because the very first footage you saw of Arma 3 doesnt mean it will look like that later ;) There was also the old OA Bloom, PP which was also said is going to be improved :rolleyes:

I think it needs to be pointed out that the state of the game we saw during the summer was nowhere near "final". The renderer was most likely not yet DX10/11 but still the old one, ditto for the not yet implemented new animations (still the old ones) and the PhysX implementation seemed to be an early "hooray, we got it integrated!" kind of deal - far from finished by any measure. From what I can tell, they simply had a lot of the content and a couple of new features in a presentable state, so they decided to generate a bit of early buzz by showing it off.

It's fair to assume that the artists working on the game will be spending a lot of time fine tuning the visuals and hopefully optimizing them for performance, while the programmers hack all that fancy new jazz into the engine. Speaking of the engine, my guess is that they won't be showing any new screens or videos until they have a little more to show us - specifically some DX11 goodness, perhaps even some new animations and a more mature PhysX implementation.

My bets are on Christmas. What could be better than a present from BIS? :D

Two presents from BIS ;)

But on a serious note, is anything actually going on? We have not heard much in a while. I think there is actually spiders that have moved into my ArmA 3 bookmark.

I think it needs to be pointed out that the state of the game we saw during the summer was nowhere near "final". The renderer was most likely not yet DX10/11 but still the old one, ditto for the not yet implemented new animations (still the old ones) and the PhysX implementation seemed to be an early "hooray, we got it integrated!" kind of deal - far from finished by any measure. From what I can tell, they simply had a lot of the content and a couple of new features in a presentable state, so they decided to generate a bit of early buzz by showing it off.

It's fair to assume that the artists working on the game will be spending a lot of time fine tuning the visuals and hopefully optimizing them for performance, while the programmers hack all that fancy new jazz into the engine. Speaking of the engine, my guess is that they won't be showing any new screens or videos until they have a little more to show us - specifically some DX11 goodness, perhaps even some new animations and a more mature PhysX implementation.

Dwarden said that the current visual state is not what BIS vision is for Arma 3.

They have a lot on their plate, Physx configs, new animation, sound engine, renderer, DX10 and 11 implementation, 3d assets. So hold on tight!

But until then i must day dream about how Arma 3 will look with Dx11 and with the new visual state that BIS is aspiring. :D

But until then i must day dream about how Arma 3 will look with Dx11 and with the new visual state that BIS is aspiring. :D

Indeed. :D

If so, they should dig up an old christmas tree and put it to use :p

WTF!

i read the comments on "who ows"...

Give BIS the time they need to finish off a good game! Those freakyfukin 50$ is NUTTIN for this engine. Its the only engine on EARTH that gives me more than hell of a fun for more than 10 years now! And it became nearly opensource for the community, as far as i can tell. Tell me one company that gives the community as much as BIS does. So buy it or leave it - wait for it or leave it... and BIS: please learn from previous ARMA2 release and dont overdo it, take your time, and give the community a BETA - you wont be disappointed!

just my 2 cents

WTF!

Those freakyfukin 50$ is NUTTIN for this engine.

Yeah but to be fair, most of us have paid for this engine at least 3 times now.

HEEEEEYOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yeah but to be fair, most of us have paid for this engine at least 3 times now.

HEEEEEYOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ready to pay one more time :286:

*runs in, out of breath*

I saw a new post in here, any news?

*sees nothing of value has been posted*

Oh goddammit

*stomps off*

*runs in, out of breath*

I saw a new post in here, any news?

*sees nothing of value has been posted*

Oh goddammit

*stomps off*

Thank you for doing the same to me.. :tounge2:

And for the one coming after me - I'm terribly sorry. :)

Edited by colossus