Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Private Military Company (ARMA 2: PMC) DLC

IIRC I read somewhere (Wikipedia?) that one of the planned features of the XM8 (subsequently dropped) was a logging facility that would log every shot fired from the weapon, including time and date.

Seriously? That's a pretty good idea if you don't intend to fire that many rounds but can you imagine how much data would be generated in an actual battle?

Would certainly make things interesting though when your gun crashes as soon as you insert a new mag.

"Reloading... Shit, BSOD"

"Get Bill Gates in here!"

Seriously? That's a pretty good idea if you don't intend to fire that many rounds but can you imagine how much data would be generated in an actual battle?

Would certainly make things interesting though when your gun crashes as soon as you insert a new mag.

Look at the last paragraph in this section

I would certainly not want a gun that relies on this to fire its shots.. The gun is still mechanic, it just has built-in (or should have had built-in) wireless to access the logged data.

memory these days is pretty inexpensive, so I guess putting a couple of megs into the gun would probably not cost too much considering the cost of a weapons system. You also don't need too much data per shot, just one or two longwords to store a standard UNIX timestamp, or a mission timer or something similar.

"Reloading... Shit, BSOD"

"Get Bill Gates in here!"

Just imagine "telnet gun35127.army.mil" to log onto your gun ;) Edited by Alwarren

Someone don't liked MGS4 ಠ_ಠ

i actually love mgs4. i just don't like pmc's.

i actually love mgs4. i just don't like pmc's.

x2.

Hope they make enough money with this DLC to make an interesting and better more relevant DLC.

x2.

Hope they make enough money with this DLC to make an interesting and better more relevant DLC.

Actually, I look forward to this DLC, but I will say that I would like to see them work on an upgrade for the AI so that they can do seamless breaching and room clearing automatically if you place a waypoint on a building and give them the Seek and Destroy action.

Anyone notice in the trailer at 2:08 where it shows the ION website, that in the Google search box there is "Leon's plant"? Like the potted plant of Leon The Professional? :confused:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScfaseJ1OZq8HCjlFbugE1iN1HzWx7sOA1s7ZCJ2k98Bm6qRQ&t=1&usg=__nh4teBanTewlApmdyVWBzx_wZO8=

chrome2010-11-0520-21-34-48.jpg

Anyone notice in the trailer at 2:08 where it shows the ION website, that in the Google search box there is "Leon's plant"? Like the potted plant of Leon The Professional? :confused:

Ahhh...so it's not Lentons Pant with a borrowed "t" then. Leon's plant make much better sence now. And indeed Googling Leaon's plant throws up many results concerning, yes, Leon and the plant...mmm, so, thinking about the plant...and knowing BI's penchant for easter eggs....what's the name of that auto-shotgun again?

Edited by Bascule42
im frightened

Regarding the video playback :

Filip: Video playback is based on the 'Theora' open-source codec. Theora allows us to support any video format needed, and furthermore, we can easily port it to any different platform in the future. The community might also be interested in the fact that video is played in a resource. We still don't support the video playback as a part of 3D scene, which would be much harder to achieve.

Too bad. But with this and render to texture in VBS there's still hope someday...

....what's the name of that auto-shotgun again?

Mathilda! Of course, can't believe I forgot that. Interesting BI...interesting...

Mathilda! Of course, can't believe I forgot that. Interesting BI...interesting...

when I hear the name Matilda, I always remember this song

:p

(...)I would like to see them work on an upgrade for the AI so that they can do seamless breaching and room clearing automatically if you place a waypoint on a building and give them the Seek and Destroy action.

Any improvement of the AI should come with a free patch, if they dare to ask money for such an enhancement then BI would loose a good part of the huge respect I have for them (I know they don't care but still... :j:)

I'd really like to see a consequent patch adding most of the stuff talented addon maker did. When I play with SLX, GL4, zeus,...

i'm really amazed to see what the AI can do and in the same time I'm quite disapointed by the fact that BIS didn't get those things since the very beginning.

I mean, common, SLX and GL were already on ArmA1 and if I'm right they're sequel of OFP mods and still they have some functionnality that aren't present in vanilla ArmA II.

I'd say stop the quantity go for quality !

I wonder if that shotgun cone thingy, which actually has projectiles, can also be used for i.e. grenade shrapnel and artillery airburst systems (i.e. WP pellets and APICM/DPICM). Claymores were already mentioned, so... Who knows...

Of course AI (behavior, not content) would be a patch upgrade unrelated to the DLC. Although we may not get the shotgun itself, I expect the patch to give us the simulation needed to make our own, maybe even some other shotgun for demonstration.

Well if they say they can simulate Claymore shrapnel, then I assume they might revamp the Grenades, atleast I hope so. But hey, I rarely find my self using a grenade due to the jerky grenade animation(something that should seriously be worked on).

Here's hoping it's not limited to just couple of weapon types and the cone as well as he "shrapnel" stuff is definaeble in the config.. :)

Can someone explain what the video-playback feature exactly means for mission makers? how can we get use of it, any details yet?

Can someone explain what the video-playback feature exactly means for mission makers? how can we get use of it, any details yet?

Full Motion Video gaming ala Privateer 2: The Darkening!

Imagine

together during the briefing of your PMC mission!

:yay:

So this means we can play video files like divx and avi during missions?:confused:

It's an anagram of Slap Lenton

Are other shotguns besides the new AA-12 going to be able to use the new shells?

Edited by DarkPhase

No it means beaing able to play back a video in a GUI overlay

So this means we can play video files like divx and avi during missions?:confused:
In-game video playback is a feature that has been requested for a while, can you give us any more information about it?

Filip: Video playback is based on the 'Theora' open-source codec. Theora allows us to support any video format needed, and furthermore, we can easily port it to any different platform in the future. The community might also be interested in the fact that video is played in a resource. We still don't support the video playback as a part of 3D scene, which would be much harder to achieve.

From: http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/company/developers-blog/196-report-in-interview-with-luka-gregor-and-filip-zigo-programmers

So now we get cutscene videos, hope they dont overdo it as the scenes where you actually participate ( even if its just the ability to look around ) are a important part of ArmAs immersion factor.

I agree with you. Also like these types of cutscenes where you can look around.

On the other side with this feature it will be possible to exactly syncronise musik with video, if you need to. I tried to do this in some cutscenes but then it depends on the performance of the rig...

All in all it seems to be a cool feature.