British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

I just wish they added the L129A1 sharpshooter rifle, the Viking and the Challengers. Atleast the S.A.S, now that would be fun. :P

Maybe next time.

But great work BIS, keep it coming!

Edited by Rye

i was so bored i made a small observation :)

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/baf4_11657.jpg

see the side door on the merlin is closed but!

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/bafv7_11657.jpg

there its open, hopefully the other doors can be too

Very nice observation :)

Maybe its same as ArmA2 Mi24, Osprey and C130 (Those had pre-animated doors and ramps)

I think they mean CWS as in 'Common Weapon Sight' (a version of the Pilkington/Qioptiq KITE). It's in one or two of their screenshots.

so maybe the A stands for Advanced Weapon Sight?

Can anyone confirm or deny the possibility of this pack featuring the SAS units or are the only units going to to be the infantry. I think it would be silly for them to not include the SAS.... so anyone care to comment?

Can anyone confirm or deny the possibility of this pack featuring the SAS units or are the only units going to to be the infantry. I think it would be silly for them to not include the SAS.... so anyone care to comment?

So far it looks like it's just infantry, It doesn't look like they are including SF units.

The simple fact remain: They wont change anything.

I'm A bit disapointed about the lack of British support vehicles. What are we supposed to do for re-arming, re-fueling and repair? Go cap in hand to the Americans and ask to borrow some of their trucks? OK, repair can be carried out by the new engineer unit but what about the rest?

Due to the type of war the Brits will be engaged in, it is feasible that they could be without the challenger2 (It would still be cool to have it in there for editor made missions though). However to be without any support vehicles is just nonsensical.

This DLC is not the entire British army lol! It's just adding in the equivalent to a Para Battalion with air support.

If they were simulating the whole British army, you would be seeing all sorts of vehicles and regiments. But that is not what they are going for.

Richie.

Lol,

of STEAM written,

Requires the base game ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead on Steam in order to play.

Need´s i the STEAM Version of ArmA2:OA to can Play the DLC or what, when i Download on STEAM ?

I believe the way how DLC on Steam works is that you can not even purchase it unless you have the base game (Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead) from them as well.

You will need to purchase it from other online stores, like sprocketidea.com, to get BAF for non-steam version of A2OA.

Lol,

of STEAM written,

Need´s i the STEAM Version of ArmA2:OA to can Play the DLC or what, when i Download on STEAM ?

Edited by Maruk

We have a solid plan to address this problem.

I think when you'll try to connect to the server they will redirect you to shop webpage.

But seriously, claiming that you have plan doesn't automatically mean you have one. It's kind of... grotesque to see users rely on that one sentence.

We definitely need more information on this issue.

Sold!

For just $9.99USD? I am deep into Flight Simulator payware and for $9.99 you get very little.

I believe the way how DLC on Steam works is that you can not even purchase it unless you have the base game (Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead) from them as well.

You will need to us other online stores, like sprocketidea.com, to get BAF for non-steam version of A2OA.

I thought that might be the case, thanks for specifying exactly the case :)

Just to put the Challenger 2 thing into perspective; they're making a force that represents a British deployment to Takistan. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Takistan is a fictional representation of Afghanistan, and thus with a few logical steps, we could surmise that they've probably based the fictional deployment they're modelling, roughly on the real deployment.

Now, if you look at the real deployment for inspiration, we've got a battlegroup out in Afghanistan, but even in an entire battlegroup, no Chally 2s have been deployed. It's pretty reasonable, then, that when they put together a package that represents a British deployment to Taki(Afghani)stan, they decided that Challenger 2's would not be part of that deployment.

convenient cop out :) . I want a British MBT, and I also want an interior for it, like the tanks had way back in OFP. I hate that cardboard cutout letterbox view inside a lot of vehicles.

What unit are you part of? Looks like it could be brigade reconnaissance or the pathfinders.

(Is it just me, or does everything fated to "split the community" only ever end up splitting the community between those convinced it'll split the community and those who disagree?)

That's because the community is already split with the community addons and most seem to forget that even though you see the occasional mega-discussion on the impact of community division ACEmod creates. Yet this entire community carries on as it always has. Having an expansion pack or dlc isn't going to do much other than introduce the greater likely-hood that any number of people playing online is to have said content when joining a server running a mission that contains it (official release, few updates if any for the DLC so little room for version mismatching) vs a community made addon, and I'm not trying to knock on the addon makers out there, it's just not everyone is into the whole addon scene (I think they're crazy but to each their own). So if you want to run a mission with some British flavor, but are worried about people not having said content, the BAF dlc will suffice. If you want some full force ops with British troops then people are just gonna have to get their shit together and hit up armaholic.

The whole "haves and have-nots" argument doesn't really stick with games no matter how it's sensationalized. Not even back with BF2 and it's expansion packs. They never created a great community divide, and it doesn't seem to be so for any other games that tried the same. Either their community is large enough to sustain both groups, or the majority adopts the newer product (or they don't due to bad PR).

Edited by Steakslim

I just hope, if you are about the enter a server in which a mission has this DLC loaded, that a more specific message pops-up like "The Server you about to Enter uses DLC content 'ArmA2 BAF' which you don't have. You can buy the needed DLC at www.xyz.xy"

Also i hope that such a message would only appear if a specific mission which is currently played would let that message appear to a non BAF user, so when the server has this DLC loaded but the current mission played don't uses it in any way, i would still be able to connect.

Would be good if such a message can also adopted for non-DLC Addons/Mods.

Again, the big difference between community addons and DLC, is that when you're missing a community addon you can just go download it at no cost (or very cheap if you have download limits), so needing to download a different one every so often isn't so bad, but when it comes to DLC you'll have to actually pay to play on that server. So it's a similar problem to the mod problem, only much worse.

Still waiting to see BIS's "solid plans" though, maybe they actually have a good idea this time? :P

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but I think the plan might be something similar to what Relic has done with the DOW:II expansion, though slightly different. Again, I have no proof of this, but it's how I'd do it!

The player without the expansion won't be able to play as British troops, and will instead see British units as their american counterparts (so, all SA80s appear as SCARs, warriors appear as Bradleys, Landies appear as HMMWVs, etc.)

@Steakslim: Yeah, but what I meant was everyone says "it'll split the community in half! No one will know what's happening! Up will be down! Left will be Right! French people will suddenly stop speaking in broken sentances followed the disclaimer "sorry for english i am france", anarchy!". Whereas, all that actually happens is the community is split between people who think'll split the community and those who don't, when the thing's released all that actually happens is multiple configs!

well' date=' that's what the soldiers are loaded out with, in the arma verse, and in 2012, right? whats wrong?[/quote']

Because they are being touted as "new" weapons, when they are already in the game.

I will be buyng the DLC, and any other DLC they release in the future whether i am interested in it or not. I have had so much enjoyment out of BIS product over the years it sort of seems rude not to.

lets sum it up:

OFP+RESISTANCE = £20

ARMA+QUENNS GAMBIT = £33

ARMA2 = £25

OA = £17

so thats £95

For nearly ten years worth of the best consumer combined arms simulator ever.

Also i hope that such a message would only appear if a specific mission which is currently played would let that message appear to a non BAF user, so when the server has this DLC loaded but the current mission played don't uses it in any way, i would still be able to connect.

That would do the job nicely, someone mentioned this a few pages back about the solid plan, hope its something like this, covers all bases then.

I have to agree its true that the only split is the "its going to split" vs "No its not" folk :) Meanwhile everyone gets on with playing :)

If I dont see it anywhere else looks like I will go with sprocket on this too. Also I see the UK purists angle on this too BTW, personally I am not so full on in information that some of the highlighted details lessen the appeal, Im happy to get this AND user made mods even if some are more accurate than others. As long as the quality is at a certain bar regardless of the pure accuracy. I dont really purchase that any games, and Arma really is the only one I stick to like glue, so the 7.99 is a taxi fare into town as I see it, except I cant re mod the taxi and play around as I like with it :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Well that's something they should have done a long time ago - "Tag" servers based on whether or not their current mission requires content that you do not have. User made or otherwise.