Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Question 1: Do you realize OA is a freaking EXPANSION??

Question 2: If you do realize OA is an EXPANSION, do you know what Expansion means?

Question 3: Do you know how animations work in BIS engines?

Question 4: Why don't you, or anyone else so into reload animations, put your hands on it, and create some animations? Or pay someone to do it for you? You make it sound sooo simple, why don't you go ahead and do something ELSE with your free time then spamming those forums?

Question 5: Could you, in the future, spare some of us of your wisdom ?

Maybe because such simple animations should have been here from the start?

We buy their product and expect a finished one, I feel about ARMA II that I bought a half-arsed game.

I see so many fan-boy posts on this forum about how BIS works their ass off, how simple must-have things are too "difficult" to add or how people say the engine can't handle it.

They made the engine, they're supposed to make it able to handle it.

The FAQ had so many no-answers that I was truely disappointed right when I thought we were getting the "finished" version of ARMA II.

Let's take a look at an example, the AI.

So many people claim the AI to be advanced and very complex even though it's not able to/can barely do simple tasks such as getting into a vehicle.

Yesterday I was on a server having fun (I love the game too, yea) which had AI that could be recruitted and some helicopters. One of my friends is piloting a helicopter and he would like to transport my fire team in.

I had 4 AI in my fireteam, when I tell them to board the vehicle it literally takes around 1 minute and 20 seconds.

They were right next to it.

Is that super advanced and complex? Maybe, but it definantely is not efficient.

More examples you say? I have plenty.

I was on a hill with barely any trees, an enemy AI comes up to me and doesn't shoot for around 5 seconds, it was 20meters away from me. I killed it even though it came from behind.

Now that's a simple task as well.

And let's look at some other things in ARMA II.

First of all, the weird "wobble" effect when you're shot.

Your whole chest region just goes back and forth like were you a spring.

Realistic? No.

Now let's see at some performance issues.

I've played OFP:DR. If I remember correctly then the view distance was something around 10km by default? With no lag?

The graphics may not have been as good as ARMA II, even though I liked the ground more, but the texture resolution was bad. That's about the only problem it had with graphics, otherwise it looked amazing.

It had some gameplay issues, but atleast a zillion less bugs than ARMA II.

Conclusion? Fan-boy's, get real sometimes, no offence.

[/rant]

Question 1: Do you realize OA is a freaking EXPANSION??

Question 2: If you do realize OA is an EXPANSION, do you know what Expansion means?

Question 3: Do you know how animations work in BIS engines?

Question 4: Why don't you, or anyone else so into reload animations, put your hands on it, and create some animations? Or pay someone to do it for you? You make it sound sooo simple, why don't you go ahead and do something ELSE with your free time then spamming those forums?

Question 5: Could you, in the future, spare some of us of your wisdom ?

You know, he's right. You're being extremely defensive for some reason. And petty about it too. Most people here downright hate OFDR, we know that, but that's no reason to flame someone who says something truly "positive" about it. The reload animations in that game added to immersion a lot. Now I'm not whining and asking BIS to implement them over more important gameplay features, just that they would have been very nice and would add to immersion.

And yes, I know that ArmA2 has tons of weapons, and I'm only remarking on the possibility of adding reload animations. However BIS is a very advanced studio with some top of the line equipment: http://pro.bistudio.com/

just that they would have been very nice and would add to immersion

I will say something that might help ...

BIS / OA and the foreseeable future wont have new reload anims, other than that this is a "request" for a request topic and nothing to do with OA as its known that its not going to be in it.

If BIS want them in we would get them, other than that we are fully aware that Arma doesn't have fancy reload anims nor will OA, what more can be debated?

You either like that or you don't like that, you either buy it, or you don't buy it. You either buy it and look past that, or you buy it and be annoyed every day.

All of this debate came from a post that was a pure OFPDR comparison post and was completely off balance to what AO & an expansion is, plus it was more of a request post anyway and there is a section for that. Anything close to new reload anims etc etc would be Arma3 and and engine overhaul and that was pretty much 80 percent of what that OFPDR comparison request post was, fancy reload anims wont happen for an expansion of which we KNOW isn't coming.

@PacX So, will you buy OA then? Im guessing not from your last post :) I dont think any fan boy (so say) is un aware Arma is based on an older engine model and that things could be better in many area most bang on about, but, its been said and done ... and as ive said the "request" section is the place for it. So the so called fan boys that respond are mainly people annoyed with the whole comparison debate which lets face it, solves nothing and simply adds not alot to the forum apart from cup half empty type debates and arguments that go in a loop. Either way has any of whats been debated contained in OA? (this threads topic) ... "no", so its either a request or a rant, and again as been said all be it a strong view ... this is an expansion to Arma2 not a fresh approach to the engine and game = Arma3.

So when "fan boys" mentioned how hard it would be and how long it would take, its based on this thread IE: becuase it would take so long (whether people think it wouldn't or not) for this particular "expansion" its not the main focus.

Edited by mrcash2009

@PacX So, will you buy OA then? Im guessing not from your last post :) I dont think any fan boy (so say) is un aware Arma is based on an older engine model and that things could be better in many area most bang on about, but, its been said and done ... and as ive said the "request" section is the place for it. So the so called fan boys that respond are mainly people annoyed with the whole comparison debate which lets face it, solves nothing and simply adds not alot to the forum apart from cup half empty type debates and arguments that go in a loop. Either way has any of whats been debated contained in OA? (this threads topic) ... "no", so its either a request or a rant, and again as been said all be it a stong view ... this is an expansion to Arma2 not Arma3.

Yes, I will buy it.

And I know very well that it's an older engine, that's why they should update it.

They made Real Virtuality, they know how to update it and simple things such as what I stated in my previous post should have been here from the start.

And I know very well that it's an older engine, that's why they should update it.

They made Real Virtuality, they know how to update it and simple things such as what I stated in my previous post should have been here from the start.

Great, it "should" have, but its not and as I say, its a request. The way I see it those thing that didnt come in the engine with A2 I certainly wouldnt think would be with an expansion, and I dont think would come in patches, I would only think that it would need an overhaul (old engine etc) and that could only be done via a fresh release as Arma3.

Edited by mrcash2009

i like the engine, I just wish they could do something really special.. like destructible ground or at least the ability to (in real time) change the ground etc for trenches.

There was a demo of this released not too long ago, by some guy. It's far off, but it works.

BIS could at least make a separate reload animation for just a few primary weapon archetypes (smg, assault rifle, mg), with them having their very own motion capture studio and all. OFP:Resistance expansion added pistols as a new weapon class with animations.

Or just add more dancing animations. Whichever is cool.

with them having their very own motion capture studio and all

Making animations is easy.

Implementing them is another matter.

even VBS1 had two different reload anims, one for kalashnikov types of weapons, and other for AR/Colt series. I am positivelly suprised tho that in ArmA2 the weapon holding animations can be adjusted greatly by creator. :)

(Front grip etc..)

OFDR isn't bad game, and have better engine than ARMAII.

Right :D If it had any depth to it, it would sink. No wait, it actually managed to sink without having depth :p I guess I shouldn't complain about OFDR, I actually enjoyed some of the few minutes I played it. It had some positives, but in no way managed to compensate for the negatives.

Well if BIS once makes reload animations and ragdoll in ArmA6 or something then I hope for good ones. Not like in DR and meny other game where it reloads the same if mag is half empty or empty all the way. If thats the case then I prefer ArmA2 way. We all know that ArmA game with all the eye candy like great anims, ragdoll, tank actually driving over a car and not just bounce it away, etc. would be best game ever but I somehow doubt this will happen soon. 2020 maybe?

I don't know, why you speak that OFDR is bad game?

I like games like ARMA II, but I like games like COD, and OFDR is like the COD!

I'm not going to start another DR discussion here, but to respond to your statement that DR was/is not a bad game, I present you with:

Exhibit A

and

Exhibit B

For your viewing pleasure. That is all.

You are right about one thing, though. DR is indeed like COD, which is pretty warped since it shipped with the brand Operation Flashpoint, don't you think?

Yeah for a racing game, man you keep rofl me :p

I'm not going to start another DR discussion here, but to respond to your statement that DR was/is not a bad game, I present you with:

Exhibit A

and

Exhibit B

For your viewing pleasure. That is all.

You are right about one thing, though. DR is indeed like COD, which is pretty warped since it shipped with the brand Operation Flashpoint, don't you think?

God damnit, I just wasted a good hour and a half reading through those old threads. Many lulz to be had there.

Happy to hear I wasn't the only one. :p

Well, the 1000 member milestone has been reached on the OA Steam group for over an hour now. Hopefully we'll get whatever we are waiting for soon! :eek:

Edited by Zipper5

Well, the 1000 member milestone has been reached on the OA Steam group for over an hour now. Hopefully we'll get whatever we were waiting for soon! :eek:

OA released now? :p

Lol, changed to "are". I meant what we're expecting from reaching this milestone. My money's on another faction trailer.

Demo would be nice, though... /puppy dog eyes

Well, the 1000 member milestone has been reached on the OA Steam group for over an hour now. Hopefully we'll get whatever we are waiting for soon! :eek:

There are only 877 members in the group..

On my Steam it says it's 1h 26m 16s overdue. :confused:

I bet your in different groups, you sure you ain't looking in your 'dressed up pets' group zipper5 :p

On my Steam it says it's 1h 26m 16s overdue. :confused:

Yea, it does. But that's the event. Get 1000 members at 13 june, 12pm.

We didn't make it. :butbut:

All this talk of reload animations??I think a higher priority animation and one that is easy to do is grenade animation.The left hand points in direction you will throw will suffice.

I guess most people forget one really obvious thing. Arma 2 and operation flashpoint too is really not like a standard fps concerning the graphics engine.

In a standard fps you gotta have two models for every weapon. One for your own, that you see all the time in your hand, and one for other players or ai. Your weapon got always so much higher poly count than the other models, and got fancy reload, unjam, whatever animations. The other models you see in the hands of others got much lower poly count, and some lame reload animation just to be there, you don't really spend your time in an fps looking at your teammates or enemies to reload, it is not that important as your own weapon reload animation that you actually see every time.

Now how do Arma 2 works? got only one model for every weapon, with much much higher poly count, so it looks nice even in your hand. So the same model is used for both your gun and any other gun. This means you can have only one reload animation for it (tell me if im wrong), and since this reload animation is used by every single ai on the battlefield, it really can't be a fancy one, or else it would be performance killer.

So the reload animations we have now are the best that can be done with this engine, so either live with it, or stay away from ofp, arma, arma 2. Myself i learned to live with it since ofp, it really does not bother me.

So to sum it up: engine restrictions. Yes i would be happy to see some nice more realistic, more immersive reload animations, but to tell you guys the truth i rather have this one.

Excellent find, NouberNou! So the thermal imaging is affected by the season, time of day and even the weather. :eek:

I think I just jizzed in my pants.

And the COLOUR of the surface (white heats up less fast then black)

This seems totally cool!

Edited by Yoma

I don't know, why you speak that OFDR is bad game?

I like games like ARMA II, but I like games like COD, and OFDR is like the COD!

Its not a bad game when you compare it to cod, but when you compare it to arma2 it is a very bad game. most of us expected much more from DR!