Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I've never pre ordered a game in my life. I usually wait for the demo/player reviews but OA is the exception.

Pre-ordered from Amazon but it says it's shipping on CD-ROM :eek: I'm trusting that this is a typo and I'm not going to be stuck with a fist full of CD's instead of one DVD (assuming OA won't fit onto one CD).

I've never pre ordered a game in my life. I usually wait for the demo/player reviews but OA is the exception.

Pre-ordered from Amazon but it says it's shipping on CD-ROM :eek: I'm trusting that this is a typo and I'm not going to be stuck with a fist full of CD's instead of one DVD (assuming OA won't fit onto one CD).

Must be a typo... mine says dvd

Delivery 1 of 1

Not yet dispatched

Delivery Estimate: 29 Jun 2010

ARMA II Operation Arrowhead (PC DVD) :yay:

You'll get like 15 CD's... when you play it's something like: bang bang bang -> recieving..... please insert CD#6 and press enter.

:p

I pre-ordered my copy of Combined Operations yesterday at Gamestop. It's a GREAT deal too! $49.99 for essentially two games!

I figure it could never hurt to have yet another copy of ArmA 2 laying around for LAN purposes, and I essentially get OA for $10 if the price of $39.99 for the standalone OA DVD-ROM is to be believed.

Hi.

When are they gonna release the Demo for test? I like to know if my system is good enough to tun the game smooth :)

I don't trust the trailers they release all the time at YouTube or other places.

All game trailers looks awesome and one thing i hate, why can't they put what system they have been using to make the trailers so ppl have something to compare to their own system.

Cheers

Does anyone know if there's been mention of suicide bombers or IEDs? It seems like a given considering they're basing it on Afghanistan.

Hi.

When are they gonna release the Demo for test? I like to know if my system is good enough to tun the game smooth :)

I don't trust the trailers they release all the time at YouTube or other places.

All game trailers looks awesome and one thing i hate, why can't they put what system they have been using to make the trailers so ppl have something to compare to their own system.

Cheers

* Any provision of Arrowhead demo before its release?

There will be Arrowhead demo but it is not possible to confirm any particular release date but we hope it will be very close to the release.

If you can run ArmA 2 you can run OA.

... why can't they put what system they have been using to make the trailers so ppl have something to compare to their own system.

Cheers

If you check out Arma2 Official channel on youtube, you will find the setup used to capture the videos. I doubt the set up will have changed significantly.

However, a simple listing of harware configuration, and setting up your system to match these specifications, does not guarantee that your performance will be the same. The PC has too many technical subtleties for this to be the case. This is one nice advantage/ simplification offered by the console platform.

If you have read the community FAQ answers, you will notice that BIS make a comment to this affect, and hope to release something useful for people like you that have questions/ problems setting up a PC adequately.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ask_Bohemia_about_A2OA_-_Answers#engine

Broadly, however, if you can play ARMA2, you can certainly play Arrowhead.

@RoyaltyinExile and JW Custom

Thank you booth for the information:)

Well yes my system runs arma2 pretty good not so good as other new games, but OK. :)

..... tank actually driving over a car and not just bounce it away, etc. ......

Well, you can drive the aav over cars in a2 ( been there, done that, didn't mean too )

Does anyone know if there's been mention of suicide bombers or IEDs? It seems like a given considering they're basing it on Afghanistan.

Pretty sure BIS will try to avoid suicide bombers, and religious fanatics(Pretty sure ive heard that BIS try to avoid portraying religion in the game, except for buildings.).

While at the same time, mission makers can script it for their own missions.(And believe me, there will probably be alot of it in user made missions)

Pretty sure ive heard that BIS try to avoid portraying religion in the game

Which is kinda sad, we "have" to completely avoid a powerful story tool, just because of the shitstorm that the specific group would (and probably will, since Arrowhead features buildings with green domes on the roof :j: ) create about it.

Sad indeed.

(Note that no one really cared that you could destroy the Churches or shoot the Priests in ArmA2)

Which is kinda sad, we "have" to completely avoid a powerful story tool, just because of the shitstorm that the specific group would (and probably will, since Arrowhead features buildings with green domes on the roof :j: ) create about it.

Sad indeed.

(Note that no one really cared that you could destroy the Churches or shoot the Priests in ArmA2)

Also note that we community members can still make missions with a story that includes religious fanatics and suicide bombers and people screaming Allah and blowing shit up.

Its just that BIS, with their official content, would want to avoid the shitstorm, which is understandable.

On a sidenote: IIRC it was impossible to destroy the Churches in OFP. I'm glad that BI got rid of that.

Well I agree with Jelliz. If you want suicide bombers, there is a very nice one in the FFAA Terrorist pack.

Well I agree with Jelliz. If you want suicide bombers, there is a very nice one in the FFAA Terrorist pack.

How's it work? :D

Also note that we community members can still make missions with a story that includes religious fanatics and suicide bombers and people screaming Allah and blowing shit up.

Its just that BIS, with their official content, would want to avoid the shitstorm, which is understandable.

Yes, but its kinda sad that the official campaign and artwork has to completely avoid it (even tho it is pretty much a key driving point to any modern story based in that region) just because some people might be offended.

I, for one, quite enjoy doing ethically questionable things in VBS/ArmA because its not real, and I can make that distinction. That a disproportionately loud minority can not, and thus ruin it for the rest of us, sucks.

On a sidenote: IIRC it was impossible to destroy the Churches in OFP. I'm glad that BI got rid of that.

Or anything else with simulation type "church" (which had the 2 effects of: making it indestructible, and making a clock chime on the hour)

Edited by DM

Yes, but its kinda sad that the official campaign and artwork has to completely avoid it (even tho it is pretty much a key driving point to any modern story based in that region) just because some people might be offended.

This is really a non-issue since suicide bombers can be simulated very easily (and have been) in ArmA through mission scripting. What's more of an issue of "avoiding reality" is BIS' reluctance to add the ability for women to use firearms as they "don't believe in women in battle/don't want to shoot women.", even though women can be combatants.

Suicide bombers are easily scriptable so it's no biggy. I just hope one of the game previews I read was right when they said BIS add IEDS to BluFor guerrillas and OpFor insurgents.

How's it work? :D

You have a weapon called "Detonator" and when you "fire" it, a large explosive device (probably a GBU) spawns in a second at your position (you can't see it though). Its good enough and doesn't require scripting plus the actual terrorist looks great, he's got bombs strapped around his chest and back and a nice little piece of headgear.

You have a weapon called "Detonator" and when you "fire" it, a large explosive device (probably a GBU) spawns in a second at your position (you can't see it though). Its good enough and doesn't require scripting plus the actual terrorist looks great, he's got bombs strapped around his chest and back and a nice little piece of headgear.

I've never noticed this...I NEED TO TRY IT. :eek:

Suicide bombers would be interesting for a Takistani Life mod if one ever surfaces. That and IED's and VBIED's.

Would be interesting to see how that sort of mod would work within a middle eastern environment.

I suspect the insurgents would make up the bulk of the criminal elements/gangs for such a mod, regular takistani civilians making the bulk of the "honest folk", and perhaps joint US/UN "Peacekeepers" as the Police. Probably including Mercenary/PMC's in there somewhere too with their own role/side (independent probably.)

The presence of suicide bombers and IEDs is actually not a guaranteed thing in something like the fictitious Operation Arrowhead, just because the game is set in somewhere based on Afghanistan, with smatterings of Iraq. For one thing, it is possible that the game is set in the early days of the US intervention. In both Afghanistan and Iraq, the suicide bomber/IED problem arose more after the intial operations were long over. For another, one of the prime enemies is the Takistani Army, and if the armies of the Middle Eastern/Central Asia region are any guide, they do not use suicide bombers and IEDs as a first resort.

Suicide bombers and IEDs are nice for mission builders to have, to be sure, but it makes sense to me that they would not initially appear in the timeframe of ArmA2:OA for reasons of historical precedent.

ied? that can easily be simulated by placing a stachell charge in the gras\a bush close to the road, and detonate it when the enemies passes by ;)

Suicide bombers are easily scriptable so it's no biggy. I just hope one of the game previews I read was right when they said BIS add IEDS to BluFor guerrillas and OpFor insurgents.

Blufor Guerrilas??? Since when did US/Nato forces promote self-sacrificing aka. extremist/fanatic act of violence?