Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

I optimized the nuke code for minimal lag. Much better than the Gigan variants IMO.

I've dropped a 5kt weapon on the harbor district of Elektro and even with all the building destruction I needed to add a debug hint during the development to be sure the weapon had detonated ( I don't loiter around a nuke drop to admire my handywork ).

BTW - the addtional damage is class-dependent, an unreinforced building is much easier to destroy than a human. So you can actually survive a nuclear blast as a ground-pounder sometimes. And if you watch carefully you can see the shockwave rolling out at mach-2.0 toward you.

Edited by Evil_Echo

Current Mod Sizes:

Mod        -  Packed - Unpacked
-------------------------------
ACE Core   -   45 MB -  56 MB
ACE eXtras -  516 MB - 605 MB
CBA        -   84 *KB* - 387 *KB*
TOTAL      ~  561 MB - 661 MB

The compression ratio is low because:

- We use gzip --rsyncable, to make the realtime rsync delta patching work during updating of pre-compressed files

- Some files already have compression applied

Plus you win it back many times over, at every update you install.

Edited by Sickboy

Current Mod Sizes:

CBA        -   84 KB - 387 KB
TOTAL      -  561 MB - 661 MB

- We use gzip --rsyncable, to make the rsync delta patching work on pre-compressed files

it's lighter compared to ace1 1.08 Full Install - 843MB + 1.09 Updater - 180MB. Good :)

Do you need mirrors? I'm happy to offer the initial release's files in an Amazon s3 bucket so users can download using HTTP.

it's lighter compared to ace1 1.08 Full Install - 843MB + 1.09 Updater - 180MB. Good :)
Oh yes, no more massive updates for peeps to download (Not to mention all work, manual and automated, that was involved maintaining them), those times are over :cool:

The updater uses realtime delta patching to fetch and apply only the changed data upon update, providing you with all the fixes/additions, without the overhead of full-file updates.

Plus, 45 MB for Core, should hopefully be acceptable to those only wanting Core functionality. Anything under 100 MB should I hope :)

Do you need mirrors? I'm happy to offer the initial release's files in an Amazon s3 bucket so users can download using HTTP.
Thanks for the offer. And everyone else who are offering mirrors.

We are finalizing the details, and will get back to everyone asap.

Edited by Sickboy

I´ve used ACE for Arma, even though I´m a SP only person, and I loved it.

All in here sounds fantastic already, really looking forward to the release!

:D

Please PM if you need mirrors. I have a fast server..let me know ahead of time, so I could load them on the weekend.. I love the mod and happy to help...Thanks

I've read somewhere there's a possible beta release in the week of Dec 7th?

If this is the case then thank you very much for my early Christmas present and thank you for all your really hard work guys its most appreciated. :)

If this is the case then thank you very much for my early Christmas present and thank you for all your really hard work guys its most appreciated. :)

Oh yes :)

I've added a list of the latest news/replies to the first post:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1296205&postcount=1

Finally someone read that right :D ( joking )

Can't wait till next week end :yay:

Current Mod Sizes:

CBA        -   84 *KB* - 387 *KB*
TOTAL      ~  561 MB - 661 MB

- We use gzip --rsyncable, to make the realtime rsync delta patching work during updating of pre-compressed files

Plus you win it back many times over, at every update you install.

I would be glad to offer a full time german ACE2 mirror. Its running on 100Mbit and may be updated to 1Gbit soon. I don't pay for any over-traffic, so it's no problem to give that mirror to everyone.

Let the backbone burn! :D

The best way is to contact me via Skype. Ask ViperMaul for contact pls.

I can provide a 100mb FTP or HTTP mirror (based in france)

send me a PM if you are interested

I have been a fan since ACE for ArmA1 and the ACE team works hard and stick to their principles, so NO MORE DISMEMBERMENT TALK!!!!! If you want gore, find it in some other games!

I slapped myself for ever suggesting it. Yes, its not a facet that below 18s should be exposed to. I was UDT and was once assigned to corpse recovery on an air crash site... not pretty... lived with me since then...

A little while ago we received notice from Kronzky - he states that ACE is abusing the BI wiki with too many pages and images. The limits now being imposed are just of one page and just a couple images. BI is going to purge the wiki pages unless we comply. In fact they have already altered one page and removed the ACE2 category.

The new limits would make it impossible to provide the quality of documentation that ACE users deserve. Since BI owns the wiki, we don't have right to challenge their decision. All that can be done is move the information somewhere else.

That process is already underway. At the moment I cannot say where or in what form those documents will be.

I'm personally asking everyone NOT to flame, criticize, or complain to anyone at BI about this. ACE prides itself on being professional - let's all do the same and just get through this calmly.

I'm sure there's a free (or moderately priced) wiki hosting service somewhere, so I have confidence you guys will sort out that issue.

Very much looking forward to the release!

Hah TPM Your killing me. Mortars that I disassemble put on 2 guys back and haul with all the ammo....:yay:

There are mortars in Arma 2 by default. ;)

In reality, it's actually better for armies not to kill soldiers, but incapacitate and highly wound them, because then your units have to contend with managing the wounded people. And in a military like the US and Israel's, you're gonna want to evacuate these troops immediately, so it puts a much bigger strain on the units in the area and delays completion of objectives in a lot of cases. Count with that the psychological effect achieved from seeing a friendly soldier without a leg screaming out for his parents is probably much higher than seeing him simply die.

Urban legend spread by crafty Sergeants and (lying/uninformed) Politicians since the inception of the 5.56 Caliber weapon systems.

Believe it or not. Armies, guns, and tanks are all designed to kill people dead. Yes, even the 5.56 or 9mm. Consider this. If you don't kill people dead, yet win the battle. Now you are stuck with ferrying around all the enemies wounded.

-k

I can sponsor you guys a dedicated domain for ACE! PM me! Who needs support from people who don't appreciate?

I was just reviewing the shooters on offer in ACE and noticed this little gem - "Vz61 Skorpion". I'd completely forgot about that little dirtbag of a gun :) Thanks for sharing, DA

Edited by Das Attorney
yet another typo

Believe it or not. Armies, guns, and tanks are all designed to kill people dead. Yes, even the 5.56 or 9mm. Consider this. If you don't kill people dead, yet win the battle. Now you are stuck with ferrying around all the enemies wounded.

-k

Ferrying them around where? That's probably a bonus for the victor nation, as they can bargain with PoWs.

They are still obliged to care for any PoWs they have. This means that if they capture half a batallion with mostly wounded soldiers they MUST give them sufficient medical aid. It can thus become as much of a chore to win as to lose, unless you actually kill instead of just incapacitate them.

I want to know what happened to the IMWF mod stuff, Mostly the Humv with the sign on the back that said "stay 15 feet back" or something to that effect in english and arabic. I thought these where so cool when I saw them but then ACE1 never did release them!