sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Public Release!

Yeah CarlGustaffa,

I think a ticket is already open on this on ACE Forum.

LOTS of bug fixes going on atm - good to see number of bugs dropping on list smile_o.gif

[TAO] Kremator

im excited for the next release. im kindof hopping they replace all standard BIS untis for some better looking ones. and make the USAF guys look like actual USAF guys with actual USAF cammo lol (blueish green tiger stripes)

are you going to replace the m16a2 standard bis modle with somting nicer? and the m249? ak74 and so on.

Is there a way to get TrueRangeAI to work with ACE? I tried TrueRange and the enemy will fire on you at over 2000+ meters, along with the Blufor returning fire. It was on the Demo mission provided with TrueRangeAI mod, it was quite a long distance firefight.

I heard ACE was using TrueRangeAI but the Opfor tends not to fire at you until you're within a rather close distance. Is there a way to set it to TrueRangeAI's distance setting of 2,200-3000m ?

I hope they change the US army models, I've always hated these original BIS models.

I believe they've stated in the past that the BIS models are only temporary and once they get the other models ready they will be put in place. If the recent addition of the Russian models is any indication I'd say that the same will happen for the US troops once they are ready to do so.

Is there a way to get TrueRangeAI to work with ACE? I tried TrueRange and the enemy will fire on you at over 2000+ meters, along with the Blufor returning fire. It was on the Demo mission provided with TrueRangeAI mod, it was quite a long distance firefight.

I heard ACE was using TrueRangeAI but the Opfor tends not to fire at you until you're within a rather close distance. Is there a way to set it to TrueRangeAI's distance setting of 2,200-3000m ?

TrueRangeAI is way old and has been replaced by TrueGamePlay.

However the author states that he recommends it not be used in conjunction with ACE.

It is better to get on the ACE forums and complain about the engagement ranges. I agree that right now they are a bit too short but 2000-3000m - thats way out of hand unless you are talking about missiles and such.

2200-3000m firefights shouldn't be the norm as you are MOSTLY using handheld weapons.

A thread has been opened on ACE Forums and they are looking into it.

I certainly don't want to be fired upon from that distance if my viewdistance is set to 1200m!

[TAO] Kremator

are you serious about the 2500-3000m range? Are we talking about infantry here?

I don't remember such mission featuring 2000m + firefights in TrueRangeAI...

are you serious about the 2500-3000m range? Are we talking about infantry here?

I don't remember such mission featuring 2000m + firefights in TrueRangeAI...

Yeah 200-300m maybe but a 2000-3000m firefight is silly. I used that mod extensively and there was never a firefight like that.

The longest recorded shot from a sniper using a .50 cal was around 2,6 km, even 1,6 km shots are pretty intense...so IMO, infantry firefights beyond 1,5 km is way over the top

The longest recorded shot from a sniper using a .50 cal was around 2,6 km, even 1,6 km shots are pretty intense...so IMO, infantry firefights beyond 1,5 km is way over the top

it reminds me those old Great War rifles have 2000m sight...

I'm glad someone else has noted the short engagement ranges. It's the only drawback of using ACE for us (VOLCBAT) is that it negates our range tweak. Previously we were having extended firefights at 3-400m, and MG fire out to 5-600m odd, which was great. Unfortunately with ACE we're back to gunning down unresponsive enemy from 300m away, as they'll just lie there and not fire back.

It's not a problem with AI sensitivity, they know you're there. It's a problem with weapon configs, the midrange and maxrange of the weapons needs to be upped so that they can fire back. It's kinda worrying looking at rifles in the ACE weapon config, I can't find a single midrange or maxrange defined - they all inherit off Rifle - which means that an M4 has the same chance at being fired over 200m as an SVD, and both won't be fired beyond the same max range (whatever that is by default).

Still, everything else in ACE is great. Get the range issue sorted and it'll be nigh on perfect, I dare say.

I'm glad someone else has noted the short engagement ranges. It's the only drawback of using ACE for us (VOLCBAT) is that it negates our range tweak. Previously we were having extended firefights at 3-400m, and MG fire out to 5-600m odd, which was great. Unfortunately with ACE we're back to gunning down unresponsive enemy from 300m away, as they'll just lie there and not fire back.

It's not a problem with AI sensitivity, they know you're there. It's a problem with weapon configs, the midrange and maxrange of the weapons needs to be upped so that they can fire back. It's kinda worrying looking at rifles in the ACE weapon config, I can't find a single midrange or maxrange defined - they all inherit off Rifle - which means that an M4 has the same chance at being fired over 200m as an SVD, and both won't be fired beyond the same max range (whatever that is by default).

Still, everything else in ACE is great. Get the range issue sorted and it'll be nigh on perfect, I dare say.

You must have something wrong with your config. ACE definitely has them engaging at 500m-700m depending on your AI skill level. If you have unresponsive enemy at 300m then you truly have some config issue going on.

Yeah I've been picked off before from 500m+ by a sniper, playing SP. I always seemed to think that the engagement in ACE was pretty similar to the old TM. That could be just me though.

Hey, I'm having a bug where after an explosion occurs and the deafening effect fades, I cannot hear effect sounds anymore, only radio comms. Anyone have any ideas?

You must have something wrong with your config. ACE definitely has them engaging at 500m-700m depending on your AI skill level. If you have unresponsive enemy at 300m then you truly have some config issue going on.

Negative, pure ACE, unmodified, and they don't engage much past 300m besides the odd shot. Being an experienced addon maker, I know what i'm looking at in a config, and the lack of midrange and maxrange values in the config confirms what I see ingame. I don't doubt you're being engaged out to 700m in some instances, because a portion of the weapons have these values defined, but the more common OPFOR weapons (AKs) don't seem to have them.

I did make an error in my initial statement, in that double checking, I can indeed find more than a single mid/maxrange value, but again, these are in the SCAR, M14, RPK etc - whilst the M16, M4, G36, AK, PKM, SVD, KSVK, M24, M249, M240 tend to be undefined, with the exception of odd (truely odd) variations. (ACE M4 + ACOG maxrange set at 700m max range, for instance, whilst the M16 + ACOG is undefined and thus default - 200?? -) Meaning that all these weapons aren't currently used much beyond 2-300m. Just to note, certainly when trained with the SA80, the gen was "expected to kill out to 300m individually, and be effective as a section (8 blokes) out to 800m", to give you an idea of whats expected with an assault rifle + 4x scope.

It's a minor problem and one i'm sure the ACE guys will have firmly in hand for the next release, anyhow.

We've noticed the same last week, we were picking off majority of AI troops at long range and they didn't even respond. This only happened with the latest 1.04... we'll do more testing this Thursday night (another co-op squadnight).

You are incorrect. AI engagement settings for weapons are stored in a separate pbo (ace_config_core_ai_engagement). As for 300 vs 800 m engagement with rifles, well, in Arma it's either 300 or 800. 300 seems the most reasonable for a scoped assault rifle. Sophisticated squad suppression tactics are not simulated for AI in Arma anyway. They will however use machineguns and sniper rifles at these ranges

Ahh yes, so they are. I am not incorrect in what I said, at least in principle, however (that is, AI sensitivity fine, weapon values are causing the problem) wink_o.gif If, as I suspect, only the weapons config is being loaded, and the engagement ranges are being ignored, i'm not incorrect at all. One has to wonder if this is possible - two configs that modify the same base weapon, which one is the game going to go with? Somehow I don't -think- it's capable of using both, but I could be wrong. If it is using both, then i'm at a total loss to explain why we can't get enemy to fight back at range (even when they are on full skill).

It would certainly explain why AI engagement ranges don't seem to be working - this isn't my single observation but also the observation of around 8 other players in VOLCBAT, who also noted this, not only in MP but also on thier own in the editor (ie, not in a dedicated server environment). I like the look of the values ACE have in thier engagement range config, though, i'd regard them as pretty much spot on - if they work as intended, it's going to be happy days all round!

ace_config_core_ai_engagement has ace_config_weapon as a requiredAddon, which means it won't load until after ace_config_weapon, and at that point start overwriting config values. Sum of it all: The values from ace_config_core_ai_engagement are used since they are the last change to those values.

In ACE 1.04 they easily engage at 600m. What overall skill setting do you have set (not the unit skill but that will have an effect to)?

If you rack your skill settings right down to the minimum you will see this non-responsive AI that barely engage at 300m and sometimes will walk right up to about 150m before they even "see" you.

I would agree that they need to tweak these settings just a little bit for slightly longer ranges but it certainly works very well right now.

The last I checked I think ACE does NOT have a ticket open on this any longer. They "supposedly" fixed this in 1.01 or 1.02 (I could be wrong on that though).

i also find the engagement ranges fine. i feel they engage over

pretty large distances even with very little chance of hitting

anything. which isn't really bad in itself. the problem i see is

that they generally use burst/full automatic fire at those

ranges and go through their ammo in no time. especially the

machinegunners...what makes this even worse is that machine-

gunners very often fire from crouch or standing positions which

of course totally throws off their aim. would there be some

way to get ai-mgunners to only use single shots when in

crouch/standing positions?

Noticed that the KA50 doesnt have a parachute in store. As it has ejection seat in reality it would be nice with one inside from start. Also noticed that the Cobra did have it. And since it doesnt have ejection seat(s) it would be nicer to have to get one if you need/want it.

EDIT: Maybe look into the vehicle sight adjustment as well. Notice sometimes it cant be lowered after you gone up. Cant get back to "0". maybe a "RESET" button would be nice?

Sorry if this been mentioned. very popular mod and VERY much posts. smile_o.gif

Alex.

How do i force a squadmember to drop gear?

IE Ammo for MAWS or Javelins..

If its not possible why is there ammobarer?

Try Action menu -> Gear. They only do it at either dead bodies or already places where there is stuff lying on the ground - or vehicles. They don't form a 'pile' by themselves.

SO what i usually do is press "G" and drop something on the ground myself (grenade, mag, etc..), and then tell the AI to 'gear', and it usually picks my pile if its closest.

You just have to pick it up then ... Can be tricky to select your pile to open up the gear menu.