sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Public Release!

Quote[/b] ]NoBrainer :

I think the stamina is a bit too much...

Well i have mixed feelings. Personally i think the current system if fair and realistic. Afaik it checks units weight, users animation (sprint, run, walk etc) and it checks even if the unit is running up a hill or not (not sure about last though). From a realisme point, again i think it is spot on. It isn't an olympic atlete they wanted to simulat, although we can assume most soldiers have their training.

On the other hand, i do agree it might be good to allow 1/4 or 2/4 more time before it fully kicks in, all for the gameplay. But i can understand if ACE really wants to go realisme.

Bug? Recently i was running with my parachute and a backpack, i know..heavly packed, to the heli that was 20-25m away. I dropped down just before the heli without breath...I got in the heli still 'blacking out', dropped parachute (into heli cargo) as it turned out the pilot was going to land, during the flight i never got back on normal breathing...landed and continued slow walk up hill. After a small firefight of 5-10min and again a slow walk downhill, still blacking out. 10 minutes past untill our pickheli arrived, during the flight still blacking out....landed, small fire fight again and still blacking out. Untill i got shot.

Something tells me something went wrong in the scripts.

Anyway, not complaining. All for realisme here wink_o.gif .

malik22

Would you stop pestering people with your question? Most probably people ignore you because this was asked atleast once in this thread?

Use the search function before you ask the same questions over and over again.

@ACE Team:

Very well done, but it's your fault that I spent the whole weekend converting and playing old OFP missions with the ACE stuff. tounge2.gif

Few bugs here and then but guess most have already been mentioned.

Sickboy can I install your mod and the fdf mod do they go into there folder?

You can install both at the same time no problem, each will go into its own folder, no fear smile_o.gif

On the other hand, i do agree it might be good to allow 1/4 or 2/4 more time before it fully kicks in, all for the gameplay. But i can understand if ACE really wants to go realism.

I also want realism. But I think that it should not kick in that bad. It should also take longer before it kicks in. And from the time you start breath heavy until you just have to lay down, should be much longer.

From own experience, I slowed down before I had to hit the dirt, even with 25 kg backpack and rifle/ammo. I just walked when I got tired, I didn't hit the dirt. Because we had to move all the time. I think that is much more realistic.

And I wasn't even that well trained.  wink_o.gif

But I do love this mod.

Backpack / Sounds / Vehicles / Aircrafts - love it

Islands - think I will love them as well as soon as they "grow up".

I loved WGL and this has the potential to be MUCH better. But if you can't move around, you just get rid of this mod.

Quote[/b] ]We're looking at the AI with High Priority:

]http://www.acemod.net/forums/project.php?issueid=817

Hi

The page needs loggin into, probably a developer only page? Anyways, please do take a look at ECS addon how AI has been enhanced.

Played yesternight with TG, using some ACE setup missions (some non respawn, some no map available for non leaders). Easily my best experience to date with ArmA, because of very strong leadership and what ACE did for me in terms of gameplay.

I have to disagree with Nobrainer; the stamina effects are perfect in my view: No more sprinting with too much gear (yes even myself exploited this).

I'm having some issues though, constructive criticism, and suggestions:

1. I don't see the M136 being a one-shot weapon. This in itself it not a big deal to me as I'm comfortable with the reload "simulating" multiple tubes. However, I think the weapon itself should add zero weight, and each "ammo" should weight the full weight of the weapon. Carry three, and get proper penalty for doing so. Same goes for all types of one shot weapons (since engine can't handle carrying multiple tubes).

2. When hurt, the weapons sway go bananas from time to time. I mean, the weapon will sway into your feet and head at the same time aiming forward. There probably should be a top limit on this still making it useless to aim, but not going into these kinds of extremes.

3. I'm using FDF_Soundmod (new version extracted from new FDFmod). The M16A2 will sound what I want it to sound like, but it doesn't replace the M203 launcher sound.

4. The new markercolor "ACE Dark Red" is too similar to the new markercolor "ACE Brown". May I suggest also adding transparent versions of all colors, including the BIS colors that miss this version. Gives greater flexibility to mission designers. Any plans of fixing the "backward diagonal" filltype?

5. Many of the new NATO style markers (especially the "friendly location" types) will appear abit, oh, "weak" on the map and hard to read and find. Is there *any* chance whatsoever to remove the marker "shadows", or is this hardcoded in the engine? Oh, thanks for adding "En Forces (undefined)" at the very bottom. It appears some gameplay considerations has been well thought out here. Nice!

6. When enabling tracking, there should be an automatic way to define the command team element be shown with correct marker. Also, in the tracking options file, there should be a setting for delay, as this may vary from people depending on their machine specs. Is there any way of overriding the chosen marker via script or mission design? I.e. having command element being enforced a command marker.

7. Since the addon no longer work due to ACE, is there any chance of incorporating the CSL_UI_MOD_xxxxx addon options that give the GUI a certain color? My personal preference is black transparent, but others probably have different preferences. It gives the GUI a nice color making the GUI actually readable, currently I find it very hard to figure out if a unit is an AT unit or a regular i.e.

8. Thanks for the adjustable sights on certain weapons, including the sniper weapons. I can finally equip my snipers with 7.62 variants and expect them to actually hit anything. Any chance of incorporating some sort of zeroing also for the grenade launchers, given that they today are nearly impossible to use? Lets just say that delayed arming of the M203 has saved my team mates day more than once lately.

9. While I was playing yesternight I had a fresh pc restarted and went right into ArmA/ACE. The mission I joined was not memory hungry in terms of mission size. Yet still I got the Javelin graphics bug. So it appears this bug comes at random, not memory related. There is a fix out there (never tried it though), any chance of incorporating this in future versions?

10. I actually don't like the FOV zoom values, particularly those for iron sighted personal wepons. For me the experience is this: Myself and enemy have equal weapons. He will open fire on me and even hit, well before I can see him in the sights. This puts human players in great disadvantage over AI. If I have to allow my squad to get scoped weapons to cope with this, this is a sad thing in my world. Maybe some optional addons using different values would be the way to go here? Otherwise I feel forced to "hack" myself an extra addon that adjusts these values for my clan (As I have done with NWD_Scopefix and TrueMods earlier).

11. I'm not able to get any of the support air units do their thing yet (smoke and illumination). Only tested in singleplayer though so far.

12. So far I still haven't been able to make enemy AI fire their flares

Thanks to everyone on the ACE team for an outstanding job on the producing part, but also on the brainstorming part. It appears as truly the most significant gameplay related addon to this date. I am actually crying here, in joy  notworthy.gif

Fixed formatting - Shadow

Bug? Recently i was running with my parachute and a backpack,...

Something tells me something went wrong in the scripts.

I can confirm this. Happened to me too.

Very good mod  notworthy.gif

I ask for a couple of things to consider:

Something that turns those pesky radio commands down in volume or off all together.

TrueMod UI to decrease the font size for all in game text, so i can use all of my screen

TrueMod GPS down in the lower right hand side of the screen

Remove the action Icons from lower middle, not needed as its text is shown anyway, lower right

Cheers smile_o.gif

@i0n0s: What happend aswell? The out of breath tempuary or continue breathout even after you dropped the parachute etc..over a very long periode of non-intense movement? Just wanted to know....

Quote[/b] ]SnRaCe:

TrueMod UI to decrease the font size for all in game text, so i can use all of my screen

Remove the action Icons from lower middle, not needed as its text is shown anyway, lower right

Fully agree with all those suggestions. I was already very happy to see the current changes, but agree it could use some extra 'cleaning of the screen' and removing of arcade elements like the icons. God i hate them crazy_o.gif .

Additionally and not sure if even possible, but it might be nice if there was a widescreen UI 'replacement'. Atm the useractions, GPS etc are all located on 4:3 position witch is logic. Afaik, it would need a new additional UI as everything is defined in X,Y values instead of allign right/down for example.

Anyway, just part of the suggestion and what could make ACE even better offcourse.

Quote[/b] ]

Something that turns those pesky radio commands down in volume or off all together.

check the in the \ArmA\Dta\ACE\ folder for "ace_clientside_config" and set the radio messages to silent or stealth etc.

Quote[/b] ]TrueMod UI to decrease the font size for all in game text, so i can use all of my screen

Have you tried it any of the TrueUI mod together with ACE? I know proper mods work alright with it, i am unsure of True ones.

I am unsure if this should be implemented into ACE by default, since you should be able to use 3rd party mods like true ones for whatever UI you prefer.

Anyways, it is not up to me to decide if those should be implemented or not.

Quote[/b] ]

check the in the \ArmA\Dta\ACE\ folder for "ace_clientside_config" and set the radio messages to silent or stealth etc.

Quote[/b] ]TrueMod UI to decrease the font size for all in game text, so i can use all of my screen

Have you tried it any of the TrueUI mod together with ACE? I know proper mods work alright with it, i am unsure of True ones.

I am unsure if this should be implemented into ACE by default, since you should be able to use 3rd party mods like true ones for whatever UI you prefer.

Anyways, it is not up to me to decide if those should be implemented or not.

I thought the most True stuff is/was aalready integrated into ACE

Yup I use TrueMod with it and it works fine. The only problem with the ingame UI is that the size of the equipment window cuts off some of the weapons/ammo name and number remaining. I believe that was the case without ACE being used as well.

I bet there's a way to edit TrueInGameUI to resize the window but alas I don't know. I've never tried and probably would not be able to find it anyways.  biggrin_o.gif

The "show remaining ammo" .pbo is the only one that doesn't seem to work but not a big deal. I like the ACE way to check ammo better.  thumbs-up.gif

Oh yeah, if you use ingameUI I believe the Icons don't show as well. But maybe they still do and I just didn't notice.

I also want realism. But I think that it should not kick in that bad. It should also take longer before it kicks in. And from the time you start breath heavy until you just have to lay down, should be much longer.

From own experience, I slowed down before I had to hit the dirt, even with 25 kg backpack and rifle/ammo. I just walked when I got tired, I didn't hit the dirt. Because we had to move all the time. I think that is much more realistic.

And I wasn't even that well trained.  wink_o.gif

How much weight was on the unit you used in that video?  It would be useful to at least note the weight in the description of the video, if not flat out show it in game.  Either way you ended up sprinting a good 200m (or, for roughly 22 seconds).  After that, when you go back, I can't quite tell if you were sprinting or jogging, but if you were still sprinting you were sapping your stamina much faster by going up hill slightly while you were doing it (on top of already being winded).  On top of that you stopped for about 12 seconds in total during the course of that run and covered 400-450m with a slight elevation change.

That heavy breathing and loud heartbeat you hear is that signal you are tired, and should probably slow down from a sprint to a jog, or a jog to a walk.  If you decide to push on even farther despite the warning and start "blinking" (where the screen goes black real quick then resets), that's when you should probably find some cover, stop, and take a knee.  In your example video you did none of that. you just pushed on, which piles up more stamina.

I want to get a hold of the actual report or whatever, but I heard that some guys at BIA found out the actual speeds characters in Arma travel.  I was told that when you sprint in Arma, you do it at the speed of an Olympic sprinter (not sure which event).  Jogging is similarly fast as well, and walking with your weapon down is roughly the same pace as a standard hiking pace (if a bit slower).

From your own experience, did you sprint for 200m as hard as you could with all that gear on, then continue to jog a, let's say 4.5 minute mile pace for another 200-250m before you slowed down?  Even Force Recon guys couldn't do that.  They'd sprint for 100m, then jog for 100m, then sprint, then jog etc etc.... only each time they'd start to slow down to the point where their jog is basically a walk after some distance.  That can't quite be done in ACE as far as I know

We are too used to jogging and sprinting like those Force Recon Marines across the whole island with a sniper rifle and a javelin on our backs in Arma.  We do it with out thought.  In ACE you can't.  The stamina system is not too restrictive, it just makes you gear down to alternating between walking and jogging, and using sprints only for emergency maneuvers (such as a danger crossing, or moving between cover in  a firefight).  Elevation changes have to be taken into account now, and it makes vehicles more useful as transport.  Sprinting 400m to your objective and laying down a base of fire is no longer a viable tactic in ACE.  These are things that we have all been used to in vanilla.  You just have to gear yourself differently now for ACE.

Just found little time to play around with this promising mod.

Many nice and good features greatly improving default ArmA gameplay - thank you all!!!

Some things that I found during my ACE rapid test:

- Tank commanders view in Abrams are somehow tied to commanders machinegun. There is no elevation (up/down) only if commander turns out and moves his machinegun. Bit strange or is there an extra ACE key?

- AI units with tripods+heavy weapons (machineguns, AGS-30) should go with an extra menu entry 6 Action - 1 "Deploy tripod" / "Mount weapon" and 2 "Take tripod" / "Unmount weapon"

- T-80s are only in group selection.

- some weapon names could be add into editor like AT gunner (M136) or AT special (SMAW)

- some addons in editor appear without "ACE" tag like the SPG-9, Quads

Some suggestions:

- make a userfriendly setup and ingame menu like in ECS Mod

- better documentation of all your features and examples or little "HowTo's"

- improve and tweak the AI as much as you can

- in Editor all ACE related addons should have the "ACE" tag.

So far so good. Its an huge project but I didnt see an "ACE easteregg" - you guys should have fun too!!  smile_o.gif

Btw are we going to get some of those addons (eg tanks, weapons...) as standalone/updated variants too?

This is  great mod!

Could anyone tell me how to use HuntIR? Thanks! notworthy.gif

Just equip the round with a GL equiped weapon and equip the HuntIR Monitor also. Then switch to the GL with F key, fire and wait a few seconds. Then use the action menu and select "Activate HuntIR Monitor". Then viola there it is. When you have the Monitor screen open select "Help" with the cursor for the operation instructions.

Remember to wait a few seconds after firing the round before you activate the monitor. If you don't the monitor will say something like "can not find GPS system" or something like that. If this happens, exit the monitor and activate it again.

@i0n0s: What happend aswell? The out of breath tempuary or continue breathout even after you dropped the parachute etc..over a very long periode of non-intense movement? Just wanted to know....

The the continue breathout on a long periode of time without movement.

Having breath out and entering in a vehicle will continue the breath out until death.

This is  great mod!

Could anyone tell me how to use HuntIR? Thanks! notworthy.gif

Just equip the round with a GL equiped weapon and equip the HuntIR Monitor also. Then switch to the GL with F key, fire and wait a few seconds. Then use the action menu and select "Activate HuntIR Monitor". Then viola there it is. When you have the Monitor screen open select "Help" with the cursor for the operation instructions.

Remember to wait a few seconds after firing the round before you activate the monitor. If you don't the monitor will say something like "can not find GPS system" or something like that. If this happens, exit the monitor and activate it again.

Thank you Manzilla! You da MAN!! notworthy.gif

I found this instruction on "acemod wiki" but it's not clear and definite.

Thank you for your definite instruction!

Happy new year! smile_o.gif

Thanks for the description Manzilla, that truly is one staggering(and very useful) feature. More documentation on the mod would be great!

@i0n0s: Thanks for the clearification. Something to look/test deeper into then i guess, unless some of the ACE devs have a direct explanation for it.

About the HuntIR:

I suppose the lack of proper info on the Wiki is because ACE decided to implant this (wonderfull and usefull imho) round in the mod at the very last moment. Again my thanks goes to ACE, Norrin and Q for making that possible.

*Who needs an UAV when you have that in your backpack.

I should better make and post my own bugreport on the ACE forum (i hope Scuba passes on my bugreports tounge2.gif ), but you might want to check out some of those items like the HuntIR round and monitor. Those items can't be packed into your backpack. Personally i found them items one doesn't directly need in the main inventory list, but rather items one unpacks under safe conditions so you have the time.

An other buggy i had a few times:

Will need to check more into it, but sometimes my character behaves like an 'retarded' person. Sorry can't give it an other name, but his upper body (sholders-head etc) go uncontrolable when running and walking. This often happens when going uphill afaik. Hard to explain under what exact conditions that happens, maybe others have had it aswell. I'll try to reproduce it one of these days. No 'problem', it just looks...funny.

The healing system breaks missions sometimes. Twice, when my whole team had to take a position or be somewhere, one of my men wasn't dead (it said he would die in minutes, he never did though) and the only way I could proceed was to kill him myself.

What missions are we talking about? Stock missions in ArmA, or custom ones?

Due to for example the wound system missions will have to be designed with another approach than before, since the whole dead/alive bit isn't black and white anymore, but a shade of grey. Changing triggers from 'No BLUFOR/REDFOR' to other variants, possibly with small scripts connected to them, and more extensive use of radio messages, multiple mission outcomes and such would probably be required to make 'ACE-proof' missions.

In the end I really do urge people to get and learn to use the BattleCenter. It might take some getting used to, but it is a very, very powerful tool in mission making, *and* it helps the AI perform better on a large scale by having groups trying to surround the enemy and stuff like that.

For traditionalists what I wrote further up still remains true though. One will have to alter the way one designs missions a bit to adapt to the mechanics of ACE, and when that bump is overcome I sure hope it'll be more enjoyable than stock ArmA smile_o.gif

Stock missions. The one that it last happened on (cant remember the name) but you and 2 others have to go up to a village and kill everyone. The radio comes over with something like 'We have to go in and kill them all, nobody leaves" or something. You are armed with M4's / Supressors. I tried dragging his body to the right spot too, but it did nothing.

Are you guys going to use the ACE weapons as actual main weapons? or just keep them in an ammo box. i think id be a cool idea to replace all weapons with ACE weapons for ACE units.

ACE is excellent when used with ECS. Just disable all features you do not need anymore from ECS configs.

Let's see what the future brings to ACE AI. Hopefully it stays compatible. The non-working wound/bleeding system for AI units is a big disappointment. But hey this is only a beta.