sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Public Release!

that is irrelevant. you will irl collapse before you blackout. sprinting to the point of blacking out is basically impossible because you will collapse first, giving your cells time to replenish oxygen and thus preventing blacking out. you'd only blackout if it were physically impossible for you to stop sprinting for some reason.

it seems like an easy fix to just remove blackouts and leave it with the soldier collapsing when tired, as the blackouts arent realistic, and are also just plain annoying :P

that is irrelevant. you will irl collapse before you blackout. sprinting to the point of blacking out is basically impossible because you will collapse first, giving your cells time to replenish oxygen and thus preventing blacking out. you'd only blackout if it were physically impossible for you to stop sprinting for some reason.

it seems like an easy fix to just remove blackouts and leave it with the soldier collapsing when tired, as the blackouts arent realistic, and are also just plain annoying :P

So you want collapsing to replace the blackouts? Fair enough, but that wouldn't be any less 'annoying' than blackouts.

Although when you are exhausted, you can be disoriented. Blackouts in the game simulate that in a way. It difficult to simulate exhaustion in a game.

But still, if you're blacking out then you are pushing your character harder than you should. Your aiming would already be pretty bad by that point.

the weight/stamina system is good, the blackouts are not.

instead of sprinting for 100m with 30kg and then blacking out a more realistic system would be: You sprint for 30m, jog for 50 and then walk the rest.

That would be even more limiting than blackouts. You could just let go of the sprint key and jog yourself.

Yes humans slow down when they get tired, so do the same in ACE and you wont face blackouts.

As it is now, you can sprint to the point of blacking out for when you desperately need it. If you manage your stamina decently you will hardly ever reach that point.

Fully agreed. Stamina system works perfectly when you know that weight and sprinting dont get along too well.

If any of the ACE features needed a redesign, stamina would be the last of ´em.

Just throw your old playing style overboard, lift your finger from the shift button and stop carrying shitloads of stuff around - you most likely wont see any unwanted blackouts.

Started playing around with ACE yesterday. I have to say, I've not come across any stamina related issues, but then again I was just pratting around with the troops and guns.

Having said that it's rather amusing that theres call from one side to the other to "prove" their assertions are any more valid than their own, and yet clearly they've based theirs on assumptions too.

Would it be too hard for someone to explain to those who don't like the stamina system, how to switch it off for their games. I don't understand why Mods seem to insist that its their way or the highway when it comes to modularity.

One question I did see is that I don't seem to always have an option to examine a body. I walk up to the body at crouched position and sometimes it just doesn't appear in the options. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, is there a way of dragging a body and loading it into a vehicle/aircraft?

So you want collapsing to replace the blackouts? Fair enough, but that wouldn't be any less 'annoying' than blackouts.

Although when you are exhausted, you can be disoriented. Blackouts in the game simulate that in a way. It difficult to simulate exhaustion in a game.

But still, if you're blacking out then you are pushing your character harder than you should. Your aiming would already be pretty bad by that point.

the collapsing wont replace the blackouts, you already collapse in ACE anyway if you run too far.... sprint for a couple hundred meters and you'll see. im saying just get rid of the blackouts.

and to clear things up that might not be apparent, i love the fact that you cant sprint constantly now, that every soldier isnt carrying AT etc, my old playing style never involved running around like crazy... im just saying the blackouts dont make sense and they should be removed. they're one of the only things that bug me about ACE (other than the fact that the vehicles are too quiet).

Dear ACE modders,

You have breathed new life into old Arma!  I am enjoying it immensely.  Every day there is something new for me to discover.

Yes, it has changed my playing style - AND SO IT SHOULD !

Please do not listen to these moaners about the stamina system.  It is perfect the way it is.  I totally agree with Mr Burns.  Since learning how to run/what to carry - I have NOT blacked out once.

My only slight annoyance is the reduced vision on being shot/wounded.  I think it lasts a little too long.

PLEASE keep up this good work.  I will never host a server now WITHOUT using ACE mod!  ACE-Islands are brilliant too.

I have been a long time OFP and Arma supporter - in fact I was one of the FIRST people to play OFP in London pre-release on a LAN - ahh great times.  My point is that the excitement I felt THEN is the same as I feel now with ACE mod !

[TAO] Kremator

Why do you even have this discussion...

You know what weight you can carry...

Put the rest on AI´z..They can carry maximum

without blacking out, ever..

I was wondering, any chance to get Jonny's Marines and SF working with ACE as separate addons?

Would it be too hard for someone to explain to those who don't like the stamina system, how to switch it off for their games. I don't understand why Mods seem to insist that its their way or the highway when it comes to modularity.

Because a mod is, in general done for the ones that are actually doing it, and their communities. The mods are done to fill some gaps, and ussually the way the modders feel it should be done. Having a mod too modular client side would actually piss down the neck on a lot of features, such as wounding system, stamina etc. Also, in any competitive games that would just be a stupid mistake to make.

The stamina system is was tweaked a few times to fit how the mod devs thought it should be. It is very hard to get scientific data about different loadouts, as they all depend on different conditions just as well.

What i can tell you though, as a former pro basketball player, running with your own weight on your back, or even half that is not as easy as it sounds from sitting in front of your PCs. Yes, soldiers are suppose to be fit, but asking from a soldier avatar to sprint like a looney with all that gear (note that the gear you have on you does NOT include personal gear such a vest, helmet etc) forever, like most of us used to do.

Try playing the same ArmA game on a more organized server, with VON/TS working, and with a mission that does not require you to kill a small country population, and you'll see that you won't even see stamina in works.

Quote[/b] ]One question I did see is that I don't seem to always have an option to examine a body. I walk up to the body at crouched position and sometimes it just doesn't appear in the options. Am I doing something wrong?

because a few animations have been changed, you need to make sure you aim towards the center mass of the body (try using 1st person mode anyways). It works for me 100% of the times.

Quote[/b] ]im saying just get rid of the blackouts.

I really doubt these will go away, and tbh, i see no reason for them to go. As matt has put it: if you don't wanna collapse, just adjust your avatar speed.

Why do you even have this discussion...

You know what weight you can carry...

Put the rest on AI´z..They can carry maximum without blacking out, ever.

Some of us prefer to play with actual human beings rather than AIs wink_o.gif

I was wondering, any chance to get Jonny's Marines and SF working with ACE as separate addons?

Have you tried using them as a separate addon before asking?

My only complaint against this mod is that some of the vehicles don't have desert-camoflague counterparts(HMMWVs in wooland camo in a middle of a desert is a perfect target for T-72s) and some of the units (Like the T-80Bv and the OH-56 or what ever it is called), lacks a model and uses a placeholder.

But I love this mod because finally I have M1A2s biggrin_o.gif

is there a way to tweak smoke particules life time ? i would like the smoke of bullets impacts on desert ground to stay way longer ? is it possible ?

I really doubt these will go away, and tbh, i see no reason for them to go. As matt has put it: if you don't wanna collapse, just adjust your avatar speed.

the reason the blackouts should go away is because they just dont happen, as i have explained twice now. the collapsing part i am fine with, its just the blackouts.

please read posts more carefully.

also for anyone whose interested, if you want to add magazines to the backpack in the editor, just add _PDM to the end of the class name. for eg "ACE_15Rnd_9x19_B_M9" becomes "ACE_15Rnd_9x19_B_M9_PDM"

the reason the blackouts should go away is because they just dont happen, as i have explained twice now. the collapsing part i am fine with, its just the blackouts.

please read posts more carefully.

What also doesn´t happen is AT gunners packing their rpg/m136 on the back and pulling out the assault rifle before the die from a .50 bullet to the head.

And it´s been quite a long time since anybody complained about that ... possibly ... because it´s a game? :O

icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, everyone, do remember that the body armour and kevlar isn't included in the displayed weight. If you carry 30kg of gear that is in EXCESS of a 16kg Interceptor vest, a kevlar helmet, combat vest, BDU, boots, etc. That means it's well over 50kg of gear total. Good luck running far with that.

As comparison the ideal combat weight as calculated by the USMC is roughly 30kg of gear depending on the soldier's own weight. This means that you should load yourself with about 10kg of gear in ACE to achieve that.

And for you people arguing about that one has to slow down before blacking out: No, you don't. Just because most people CHOOSE to slow down but keep going when they get tired, there is nothing that says that one can't keep moving by sheer force of will, even if means starting to black out. If you want to avoid blacking out, then choose to slow down in time.

the weight/stamina system is good, the blackouts are not.

instead of sprinting for 100m with 30kg and then blacking out a more realistic system would be: You sprint for 30m, jog for 50 and then walk the rest.

That would be even more limiting than blackouts. You could just let go of the sprint key and jog yourself.

Yes humans slow down when they get tired, so do the same in ACE and you wont face blackouts.

As it is now, you can sprint to the point of blacking out for when you desperately need it. If you manage your stamina decently you will hardly ever reach that point.

Fully agreed. Stamina system works perfectly when you know that weight and sprinting dont get along too well.

If any of the ACE features needed a redesign, stamina would be the last of ´em.

Just throw your old playing style overboard, lift your finger from the shift button and stop carrying shitloads of stuff around - you most likely wont see any unwanted blackouts.

Exactly people need to know this aint vinnila ArmA anymore.

Just a bump on my question earlier, does the parachute have a classname? And if so, what is it?

Thanks smile_o.gif

addweapon "ACE_Parachutepack"

Small bug: Some of the optics aspect is off on my system, showing up as ovals instead of circles.

Question: The IR Flare, is that though of as a signalling device, or illumination device for NVG equipped soldiers. I need to decide if my squad leaders or grenadiers should carry these. The HuntIR round is only carried by my squad leaders.

Try playing the same ArmA game on a more organized server, with VON/TS working, and with a mission that does not require you to kill a small country population, and you'll see that you won't even see stamina in works.

Exactly, so why bother? This is not needed. Players who play on a good coop server will never experience it and players who play on open run and shoot don't want it.

I would love to see an interface like ECS that would make all this moot.

There's a game logic for enabling wind effects on helicopters.

Why not one for disabling or at least removing the blackouts from the stamina effects? Fully agree with pogoman.

Also someone mentioning a while back that Spec Ops soldiers had more stamina - that sounded a little, dodgy?

PS. Please don't discount opinion on these sort of matters too easily, most of us only comment because we want ACE to become the community standard, and I guess while it's still beta there's a chance to please as much of the realism/tactical crowd as possible. smile_o.gif

Daniel @ Jan. 02 2009,16:49)]Also someone mentioning a while back that Spec Ops soldiers had more stamina - that sounded a little, dodgy?

Special forces are selected partially thanks to their extreme physical endurance, so to me it seems only logical that they don't get tired as fast as a normal grunt. They look beyond tiredness and ache in a way most normal soldiers can't, they *are* most often in a better physical condition, and they are trained to be able to function even when exhausted and in pain. They deserve some extra stamina in ACE if nothing else smile_o.gif

Hey there guys, if you are looking for a decent coop server in European time zones, check out Zeus. We have been playing the ACE alphas for a while now so we are quite used to it and have a lot of missions. We also use voice comms and try to organise missions a bit so there's something for the more serious players out there.

Check out our community thread:

Zeus Game Nights

I'll put my 2 cents in on the blackouts.  To me they aren't realistic.  It should be heavy breathing so you can't even hit the side of a barn or you can't even raise your weapon up.  You trot instead of run as you continue to run longer or at times walk because your so tired and sucking for air.  The passing out is alright but still needs to be tweaked.

GD Mast

Hey guys, i've browsed through this thread but apart from someone asking the same question i cant find an answer.

The IR Strobes that are mentioned in the features, where are these located or does somebody have a classname for them?