sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Public Release!

Yeah if were running combat, you wouldnt blackout just get very tired and maybe slow down, if you black out.. you cant see shit and then you could get shot and killed when really that doesnt happen

I absolutely love the stamina system. Exactly like when I am hiking in real life, I really think through what I will need VS the weight of it.

What Matt said, how many people blackout in real life? I can't imagine any scenario where a soldier is going to run until he blacks out and becomes a hindrance to his unit.

Any real life soldiers out there could give us some input?

What Matt said, how many people blackout in real life? I can't imagine any scenario where a soldier is going to run until he blacks out and becomes a hindrance to his unit.

Any real life soldiers out there could give us some input?

Well if he's hurt badly he's not going to go assaulting when he's bleeding to death...at least not without first putting some first-aid to stop serious bleeding. But even then, he's likely going to just remain in place until medivaced and will just defend his area. The fact of the matter is that seriously wounded soldiers ARE a great burden on fellow soldiers.

However honestly, simulating behavior of the AI getting wounded and evacuated is VERY difficult to do in ArmA. Maybe ArmA2 goes a little farther in simulating such things.

Ideally, if you sustained a serious injury, you would drop...and have to apply first aid (or if you are incapacitated, be allowed to call for a medic who could apply first aid). After that however, you would still not be able to do anything more then low-crawl and would require AI or a player to carry you to a amubulance or medivac helicopter that would take you to a field hospital. Only their you would get fully healed. In real life of coarse you don't just get healed suddenly and go straight back into combat unless it's just a minor wound requiring some stiches.

Normally, the unit would simply be short a man for awhile until a replacement is flown in, or a after a few weeks (or months) the injured soldier returns to duty.

So all in all people have to remember that this is a game and realism has to be balanced with gameplay.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Being relatively new to mapping, I was wondering if somebody could either tell me the class name for the ammo for the crew served Mk 19 & M2's or point me in the right direction of how to find them. I've tried digging through files but simply cannot come up with it.

What I'm trying to do is create my own custom weapons crate with the ACE mod crew served weapon ammunition inside. I would appreciate any help given!  smile_o.gif

Easy way to find out the class names of what you are looking for is to make a trigger in the editor with these properties:

Repeatable

Activates on radio alpha

In the Activation field: hint format["%1", magazines player];

Same can be done for weapons, just replace "magazines player" with "weapons player".

Thank you very much good sir smile_o.gif

For anyone interested in adding these crew served weapon components and ammo into custom crates, the following info will make it easier for you:

Crew-Served MK19 40mm Grenade Launcher

1) Ammo - ACE_MK19_CSWDM

2) Gun - ACE_MK19MOD3Proxy

3) Tripod - ACE_M3TripodProxy

Crew-Served M2 .50 Caliber Machine Gun

1) Ammo - ACE_M2_CSWDM

2) Gun - ACE_M2HBProxy

3) Tripod - ACE_M3TripodProxy

In addition - is it possible to load an incapacitated or dead soldier into a vehicle using the drag function? If it is, I cannot seem to figure out how.

I'm not sure if this has been asked but how can we complete the chopper single mission that came with ArmA in ACE? Since the copilot isn't in your group you have less control over targets than otherwise. it would seem that I can only control the ffars and that's about it for some reason, or I just didn't get it.

Couldn't help have a little laugh when I saw this: Listed in the docs under Rifles is the M242 bushmaster. Can you make them dual wield please as long as it is there already, lol biggrin_o.gif

Edit: It was the M24 Sniper rifle when I checked it out.

well done ACE team.

have a issue with getting ded server up keep getting "include file dta\ace\ace_clientside_config.pp not found".

thank you for your time,Kryptonite!

As I too had this....this happens when you uninstall ACE-Islands(alpha version or maybe the V.1) which uninstalls a hpp required by ACE.

Install ACE from scratch or get the config file from a buddy or ACE Devs and copy to the said folder.

AFAIK, this is fixed for the next update.

some times when a teammate AI is downed (unconcious and bleeding) he becomes alive again and is fine??? how is that possible yet when you examine him, he still the same stat.

Could this be related to the fact that I have to execute any wounded opponent AI if I don't want them to be back to combat 5 minutes later ?

Anyone having the same issue ?

What I'm trying to say is, since it's a computer, there should be a longer period of degraded speed, before walking - then it should hit the ground. This is just a suggestion. Not the answer!  Maybe more input on how to make it playable from more people, will give the "answer" to all those developing ACE.

I completely love the work of ACE. But to make it "perfect", it just needs tuning. Maybe my suggestions are "wrong", but thats up to those that make ACE.

Ok after being convinced to givethe whole thing a closer look I am back to siding with NoBrainer on this one.

On top of the general information difference between real life and the computors panting. I simply find the idea of actual 'black outs' under the tested conditions to be ridiculous. I do realise that they are probably being used as a method to reduce situational awareness but the effect is too extreme. Maybe an effect simliar to the bleed out ,but black at the edge of the screen instead of red would be more realistic.

Also have a big issue with the atrociously short distance it takes to incapacitate ones-self under load. I agree 40 kgs is a lot to carry but I'd feel safe to bet that i could run/sprint with it 120m (on the flat or slightly down hill as tested) with out being forced to roll around on the ground blacking out for 2 mins at the end of it.

I think where ACE has it wrong and BIS had it right is that there is a point where a person simply cant sprint any longer. So is forced to move at slower rate. People simply cant, or won't move as fast as a sprint just because they have a button that says 'sprint' wich they push till they pass-out. And those freaks who do are usually capable of pushing them selves way beyond ACES limitations. Which brings me to the other point of using the unrealistic speeds of BIS's run animations to warrant the high levels of stamina loss. It was stated by BIS in the past that the slightly fast movement wsa used to balance gameplay against the scale of the game it self. What ACE has done is not to rescale this effect but to put a bulbous clunky counter weight in the system to try balance it out.

Famialiar with the saying two wrongs.......

At any rate the issue seems to have become a pet gripe for all that I've played with so far online and no-one seems to think it works in ACES favour.

So thats my vote in favour of NoBrainer's call for 'tweaking'. Hope you see my comments as constructive criticisim, as I really think you have done a great job and thank you all for the time and effort.

To any and all that may concern the face bug is fixed by not running ArmA with the -noworld command.

As stated in a previous post.

Honestly, if some of you had your way, you'd "tweak" the stamina system until it no longer had any impact at all.

I find it very interesting that, provided I use proper real-world movement techniques, speeds, etc, I never have an issue with stamina. Never. I can't think of the last time I actually blacked-out in-game. ACE gives you plenty of warning before you black out, too - I fail to see the issue.

If someone can deliver actual facts about common soldier capabilities with respects to loads carried, terrain traversed, duration, etc, I personally would find that interesting and useful. The bulk of what has been offered so far has been "gut feelings" or unsubstantiated claims about what should or should not be possible - that's not terribly helpful, and you really shouldn't expect changes to happen based solely on that.

Honestly, if some of you had your way, you'd "tweak" the stamina system until it no longer had any impact at all.

I find it very interesting that, provided I use proper real-world movement techniques, speeds, etc, I never have an issue with stamina. Never. I can't think of the last time I actually blacked-out in-game. ACE gives you plenty of warning before you black out, too - I fail to see the issue.

If someone can deliver actual facts about common soldier capabilities with respects to loads carried, terrain traversed, duration, etc, I personally would find that interesting and useful. The bulk of what has been offered so far has been "gut feelings" or unsubstantiated claims about what should or should not be possible - that's not terribly helpful, and you really shouldn't expect changes to happen based solely on that.

I don't notice the stamina system that much either. I mean, I do start to pant when I run full on for about 400-500m but when playing with combat tactics I don't get effected by the stamina system. I can't say it unreasonable at all. It's pretty good simulation of fatigue in the field. It ain't an easy thing running 300m at full sprint with 20kgs.

I definitely think this is a good immersion system that actual helps tactically. Your less likely to run straight into a bad situation when minding your stamina.

Was wondering about the parachute if it has a classname? I checked the classnames on the ACE forum but couldt find it. I noticed a script on the ACE forum that prints out classnames, but i suck at scripts and wouldnt know what to do with it. smile_o.gif

Thanks a bunch.

PS: I like the stamina system too. I have tested it with all kinds of gear and going up hills. Seems dynamic. Carrying the M2 MG (roughly 61Kg with my weapon/mags) made me sweat pretty fast. smile_o.gif The ACE mod kicks ass... Big time.

Regards

Alex

Some people don't seem to realise that with the stamina system you actually have to rest. And just because the blackouts out have stopped doesn't mean it's time to start sprinting again. If you are blacking out it's because you're pushing your in-game character too hard.

You need to pay attention to the cues before the blacking out: the breathing and shaky aim.

If you start sprinting the instant the blackouts stop then it's obvious that it will just start again.

The stamina system could probably use some tweaking and enhancements. But I doubt the team will want to reduce it much, if at all.

And don't forget to pay attention to how much weight you are carrying!

Actually I think it'd be a shame if the system was tweaked till it disapeared. I think its great thats there is a tougher penalty on carrying too much gear. But I don't feel there is much of a realistic basis for a suposedly fit soldier to experience vision loss because he needs to catch his breath either.

I understand what you mean Pathetic_Berzerker but this is essentially boils down to another gut-feeling.

Just because you've never pushed your body to the point of blackout, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Like Dslyecxi said, provide some facts about the real world capabilities of a soldier with a heavy load.

Really, ACE is what it is and maybe its not for everybody but I don't think the stamina system is bad. It actually forces a player to THINK about what he is carrying and how he is moving.

Besides, I don't think I'd be able to sprint even 100m with 20kg on my back without being exhausted by the end. tounge2.gif

Amen,

I never had trouble with the stamina system, its perfect, dont change it unless you could possibly make it better. (which i doubt you could)

I have to agree with Dslyecxi. I think the problem is that those who complain are those who only play the "fast paced" maps like Domination and Evolution. Although I am a big fan of Domination (mostly as a "system" for dynamic missions), these maps are not what ArmA is all about. They have nothing to do with realistic warfare gaming, but is fun to kill some time with.

The only time you should sprint is when crossing a street or running for cover. Preserve the stamina for when you need it. Try joining a server with good leadership and teamplay, and I'm sure you won't think twice about the stamina system, it's simply perfect imho, spot on, a dream come true, and what I have been nagging about in ArmA2 threads for long.

Yes it makes it more a simulator than a game, but for many this is actually a good thing. Also this system removes the possible cross-sprint exploit. And to me it manages to maintain playability by not being too realistic, gameplay seems to have been accounted for; in real life if I'm so exhausted I nearly puke, it takes me a lot longer than a couple of minutes to get back fully.

Bottom line to me is that this forces people to change their playstyle to become more realistic, and I as a mission designer don't have to try to counter so many possible exploits. Seing other people working as a team simply because they have to, is a joy. Seing people running around like mad is more of a show stopper than the occational passing out which I can see coming and can control myself.

the weight/stamina system is good, the blackouts are not.

instead of sprinting for 100m with 30kg and then blacking out a more realistic system would be: You sprint for 30m, jog for 50 and then walk the rest.

humans slow down when they get tired, way before they start losing vision. a blackout is the result of not enough oxygen to your brain, and that only occurs when all your muscles have already been denied as much oxygen as possible. thus you'd collapse before you'd blackout.

for the confused out there doing excercise requires the energy produced respiration, which is why oxygen comes into all of this.

my suggestion is, have the soldier fall over when he gets too tired, and remove the blackouts from the stamina system completely, because you do not blackout before you get too tired to stand (perhaps if you took some adrenaline that might change biggrin_o.gif).

if at all possible make the soldier gradually slow down before he collapses.

EDIT: oh and i have a question. how do you add stuff to the rucksacks in the editor (ie how can i change the default loadout in the rucksack).

the weight/stamina system is good, the blackouts are not.

instead of sprinting for 100m with 30kg and then blacking out a more realistic system would be: You sprint for 30m, jog for 50 and then walk the rest.

That would be even more limiting than blackouts. You could just let go of the sprint key and jog yourself.

Yes humans slow down when they get tired, so do the same in ACE and you wont face blackouts.

As it is now, you can sprint to the point of blacking out for when you desperately need it. If you manage your stamina decently you will hardly ever reach that point.

I understand what you mean Pathetic_Berzerker but this is essentially boils down to another gut-feeling.

Just because you've never pushed your body to the point of blackout, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Like Dslyecxi said, provide some facts about the real world capabilities of a soldier with a heavy load.

Really, ACE is what it is and maybe its not for everybody but I don't think the stamina system is bad. It actually forces a player to THINK about what he is carrying and how he is moving.

Besides, I don't think I'd be able to sprint even 100m with 20kg on my back without being exhausted by the end. tounge2.gif

Is the ACE system of exhaustion based on scientific data?