Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Btw in the video at time 01:37, what the hell is that bright thing that flies from left to right, ufo maybe? wink_o.gif

Hello,

I can only repeat to say that whoever chose the Chechnya/Georgia theme of this game and then the individual content can be very proud of himself. It borders on brilliant.

Also the island and the trees seem to be very well done.

All I need to see now is a mixed BTR/MTLB/GAZ/T-80 convoy or some MI-26 or IL-76/AN-22 (or whatever the russians use these days) dropping off troops and I actually will buy this game for the content as well thumbs-up.gif

If the gameplay part was worked on as well as the content and the graphics (Apart from that distracting bloom,sorry there) I think I might get excited as well.

Btw in the video at time 01:37, what the hell is that bright thing that flies from left to right, ufo maybe? wink_o.gif

at first I thought so too, but that's a ricochet from the machine gun

Great video and brilliant choice of music, loved it notworthy.gif

I watched the OFP2 one right before it, they seemed to show some similar scenes with soldiers and armored vehicles, and this just shot down the OFP2 video down in flames wow_o.gif

Not that the OFP2 video was bad, it's just that one of the Codies devs claims to be "head and shoulders above the competition" in the video, and I see the video of "the competition" right after it and it's awesome  biggrin_o.gif

I'm not trying to bash OFP2 here. Just saying this video is great, that's all smile_o.gif

Edit: For languages, It must just be exactly the same as Ofp1, If they are talking to you and you need to understand quickly like fighting in same sqaud e.g red hammer campaign, its an accent. If a cutscene its other language with sub-titles e.g CWC when at that checkpoint with the Vodka incident. If in-game but on other side, its other language with no sub-titles.

Sabre Tooth certainly nailed it here 100%...  This is absolutely the most immersive it can be!  Word for word as he describes. wink_o.gif

edit:

It bites me if I observe a russian base and the patrol leaders shout out there commands in english. That´s just plain damn stupid.  whistle.gif

Also quoted for truth.

I was pretty underwhelmed by this video, so im surprised that everyone is so positive about it...

The complex vehicle sounds highlighted in previous videos are impressive, but the weapons sounds are the same old and dont seem to fit IMO.

Other than the tank firing effect (which i'm sure MaddMatt could come up with) and minor change to mount animation, I didn't see anything in the video that led me to think Arma2 will be any different or better than Arma1.

I've been impressed by some of the previous videos, but this one really let me down.

sucks for you, I loved it. I think the music at the end is from OFP. At least it gave me a definite OFP feeling!

I was a bit disappointed hearing that same old robotic english voice, from inside a T-72 with engine thundering of all places.

Whos gonna translate the call? biggrin_o.gif

the only things I didn't like about the video, are:

- The night shooting, the flames coming from the guns seem to have ofp1 sydrome, the 16bit 2d image.

-The vehicles (especially helicopter) details seem to be so epic that soldiers don't fit in the scenery (feels like they don't belong in there)

-The soldiers heads annoy me, when they watch one direction and robotically change randomly (during fire-fighting they watch another direction,like their head doesn't seem to follow what the entire body is doing)  The soldiers need more personalization. again, they don't fit in the scene with such detailed vehicles with persona.

-Arma  sounds?

- "2, go to that, tank, 8 o'clock"?

Other than that I liked what I saw in the footage.  pistols.gif

Good presentation of Arma2 even better than a tech engine vid  wink_o.gif

Somehow around 1:40 you see that typical AI group stop&go thingy confused_o.gif

Hope that AI wont get stucked again (and forever) on stones, trunks etc.

Some things that are interesting to know:

What about hills and mountains - will AI find a way through or go somewhere (far away) around?

Will AI get in and out on right+left+back side of vehicles like irl and open/close doors on their own?

Will AI (groups) do a "parajump" like in ArmA or will they drop one by one?

What about backpack/rucksack system will it work for AI and do they use it on their own?

I'd love for BIS to give us the honest system specs used to make these vids.

I wonder why they don't approach one of the amazing sound-mod makers and use those sounds. I think the community would respect them more for using great community-made sounds rather than sticking to some of the really bad ones you can hear in these vids. There'd be no shame in it..

The music was annoying. It was much louder than other parts of the video and didn't seem like it had much of a place.

I wonder why they don't approach one of the amazing sound-mod makers and use those sounds. I think the community would respect them more for using great community-made sounds rather than sticking to some of the really bad ones you can hear in these vids. There'd be no shame in it..

You know, maybe if they include an ingame addon list for sounds it won't be such a problem. I really think people have differen't preferences for shooting sounds. However, they said that soldiers will have a ton of individuals sounds for them. Like gear and stuff.

Now, if they only would implement that RKSL style dynamic rotor system...  whistle.gif

It's such a seemingly small thing, but it would add a lot IMO.

Seems to be a quite noticeable LOD switch of the Hinds at 1:07.

Again, great update !

Great video and brilliant choice of music, loved it notworthy.gif

I watched the OFP2 one right before it, they seemed to show some similar scenes with soldiers and armored vehicles, and this just shot down the OFP2 video down in flames wow_o.gif

Not that the OFP2 video was bad, it's just that one of the Codies devs claims to be "head and shoulders above the competition" in the video, and I see the video of "the competition" right after it and it's awesome  biggrin_o.gif

I'm not trying to bash OFP2 here. Just saying this video is great, that's all  smile_o.gif

I did exactly the same thing you did, and pretty much watched the ofp2 vid and went and then watched the CDF video.

Nice work BI, and the SU25 making a comeback thumbs-up.gif

not to mention the baddest mofo of them all, the Hind notworthy.gif

the only thing that makes waiting for Arma2 possible is that each day i am saving that little bit extra for the new PC

Most of those sounds are probably taken from sources like other games or movies so it’s not possible to use them officially in ArmA or ArmA2.

The music was annoying. It was much louder than other parts of the video and didn't seem like it had much of a place.

You never played ofp right?

Awesome Video.... alone the music at the end is fitting to the moment when the Arma Fans burying some OFP2 Copies....  rofl.gif

Mr.G-Cs Feedback:

++ Night optic! WOW!

++ Tracers. (Did you noticed they behave like in RL? Start burning a few meters after barrel, all 3 rounds is one tracer, they stop burning after some time, they illuminate the environment... only that they are red in RL at DshKM is missing tounge2.gif)

++ Overall Athmosphere

++ Overall Landscape

+  Getin animations to MI17

00 Spin-up time from Helo engines to short

00 Many sounds should be replaced which are from Arma1, like BMP firing the Rocket, shooting his main gun, explosion sound in same scene, etc.

00 "Middle-Distant" Ground Textures (blending from detail to Sat-Texture?) are still to blurry and didn't give you the feeling that there is Grass actually. Notice it especially in the last ~10 seconds.

- You can hear "english" talkings from tank crew OUTSIDE the tank. This is a odd limitation of the engine, can you maybe fix it finally?

- Old Arma Problem in which the Rate of Fire is limited the bigger  distance to target is. This wont happen in RL - you still fire small burst from your big machinegun, no matter if the enemy is 200 or 1000m distance. Its again a leftover from Flashpoint already and should be really fixed for Arma2.

So finally, MOST AWESOME Trailer so far. Alone the scene as you fly with Hind wingman over the trees looks almost like from a movie  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif

I couldn't believe my eyes...

Seriously BIS, if you now fix some older limitations and add some East-European dialect speakers for those sides talks, then this will be definitely a blockbuster!

Awesome.

Quick, upload it to Gametrailers.com! After OFP2's disappointment you should get lots of attention smile_o.gif

Overall the video shows good content though I like the one from last week the best.

A few of the problems I'd like to note are is the rate of fire from the weapons, the fact that I can hear the AI through the tank, and the AI infantry at 1:40. You can see how a few soldiers slow down, change direction, and start running again, all in unison. If the AI is really improved as much as BIS says it is then this can be forgiven.

The animations for getting inside the helicopter looks good, but it appears their legs go through the bottom in the process. If this is in the final version it's going to annoy me very much.  sad_o.gif

Other than that, the game looks very good. There's not much to be said that hasn't already been stated though. The tracers look nice, the helicopter interior looks awesome, and the environment, as always, looks incredible.   smile_o.gif

GC:

The spin-up time for the heloes isn't shown, because the initial engine start and lift-off has been clipped together in the same video.

The same goes for the main trailer with the UH-1Y, where you posted about the same thing about spin-up time being to short.

Otherwise some good points.

GC:

The spin-up time for the heloes isn't shown, because the initial engine start and lift-off has been clipped together in the same video.

The same goes for the main trailer with the UH-1Y, where you posted about the same thing about spin-up time being to short.

I would guess that the spin-up times are pretty much identical to Arma 1.

is not:

This is of course related to the overall time it takes to turn the engine on and fly in the game.

It's already quite long for gaming habits of many people so I think it's a good compromise between realism and more instant fun that many people expect in games (and no, I am not interested discussing realism versus fun agaim  tounge2.gif

Has there been any info about spin-up times going up or down in Arma 2? That quote doesn't really give me anything.

Loved the trailer it was really awesome i got the shivers when i heard the music at the end! OFP all over again +more!

+They drive on the right side of the road!