Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

No mention what spec rig they tested it on? Unless my eyes are deceiving me in my old age ;)

Damn...

This reminds me more and more of the release desaster with Arma 1.

There seem to be bugs all over the place, doesn´t look like that can be

fixed within that short time, keeping in mind that they should be working on hardware compability and finetuning of Arma 2 already I am sceptical if they should repeat a premature release.

The publishers can´t be interested in the drama aswell. I guess they had enough of it with Arma 1.

Please BIS: Deliver a program that is worth the money and runs stable, satisfying and optimized. All the reviews I have read so far highlight a number of bugs and gameplay and gamedesign deficits. It really doesn´t sound as if Arma 2 was somewhere near release from a developers viewpoint.

Please do not repeat the Arma 1 stunt.

Are we going to have another ignorance storm on this thread, eventualy leading to an admin warning to stay ontopic? It's OLD build! OLD!!! *Heart attack*

Hey Placebo just wondering about the modding and general engine stuff. Can we now make vehicles with a skeleton E.G a Mechwarrior and can we slave a turret to look where the pilot is looking SO we can keep the chopper Stationary or in direct flight and aim the gun of a Ka-50?

Please keep discussions related to the topic title.

More details will be released in the future about modding, modding tools etc. etc.

Wasn't someone suppose to get new pics for us? Thought I read that some pages ago XD

Are we going to have another ignorance storm on this thread, eventualy leading to an admin warning to stay ontopic? It's OLD build! OLD!!! *Heart attack*

I am ontopic. This thread is about press coverage. If there is a groundbreaking new version what interest does BIS have NOT to hand it out to reviewers ?

All I´ve read so far about the new version is hearsay, no solid review, no word from the press, just "I know someone who knows someone, who has a newer build". That´s nothing on my account. The bugs listed by reviewers are nothing that can be fixed in weeks. Just look how long it took BIS to fix Arma bugs. And now there are miracles going on that contradict any kind of gamedeveloping logic and time-schedule and BIS still did not deliver the mystical new build to the ones that can push and advertise their product the best way ?

Sorry, but this is absurd.

you didn't get it right. nobody said that anybody have new builds but dont write about it.

just that they are using old build from february but published the reviews in april.

of course bis worked meanwhile on the product so ther is definetly a newer version at least intern in the bis studios.

edit: to the videos: like the graphic and the sound (specialy when the enemy mg is firing through the woodfence) voice of miles is great too. hope at the end every voice sound so good.

the ai isn't doing much^^ ah and somebody should explain to the player, that there is still with nightvision "on" a left and a right side ^^

Edited by De_little_Bubi

Concerning the information/Media files released on Gamekult.com about ArmA II:

Well, they unfortunately seem very pessimistic regarding ArmA II upcoming enhancements, not only they complain about the necessary high-end PCs to run the game flawlessly, but they also mention the numerous issues, CTDs and other problems they encountred within the game so far.

All in all, they will wait and see what will happen within the next incoming months in terms of fixes and adjustements.

Regards,

TB

Strange nobody posted this here yet some new videos

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5567

two words of warning though:

1) it is loud so lower speaker

2) the way the guy plays in the first video is rather irritating :p

looks like the February build to me

Thanks for the Vids.

I have to say sorry to sound negative about this footage, but Unfortunately now i can really understand the "rather average" pre-ratings and evaluations by certain game magazines.

Some Problems/Remarks:

- Nice animation-transition from stand to crouch only in cut scene, while the "normal" ones are really extremely choppy+too fast...

- Ai is worse than from Arma1

- Bad door gunner animation like in Arma1, even though the minigun is rested-in for pilot control (I wonder when BIS will get all those animation issues done right finally? Its 9 years now... just look At Sakura Chans UH60 Doorgunner Video....)

- Recoils and Rate-Of fire in burst are unrealistic and unplayable i think.

BIS should really take a look at ACE-Mod, where the recoil-force is like in RL transfered backwards to the shoulders, rather than a simple and odd barrel-climb every time.

- Sound has entirely the same problems like in Arma1.. examples:

- Sound of Tavern is way to loud at such a big distance.

- You can hear a Tank further away on the right from the team, but judging from the same distant-sound problems like from Arma1, i bet that tank was 5 miles away, lol.

- when he speaks and strafe to right side, sound is suddenly coming from left speaker

- Same when he is running and strafing a bit, sound is switched very odd between the speakers left/right

- The amount how often after each other a footstep is played, is simply wrong. It sounds like he is making a 1000 footsteps per minute, which is highly unlikely comparing to the walk-speed you can see and most likely to the corresponding running-animation too.

- A lot of other Problems or non-fixed and well known Arma1 issues, but its simply to much to list here.

I am really disappointed by the overall game mechanics and thus the feeling of those footages....

I simply hope it was that older February build for the press which was only there to give a overall impression of the game, otherwise i can see no improvements over Arma1 at all, besides the graphics.

Edited by mr.g-c

This is an old build of the game. It is work-in-progress. Do you not understand that? The previewers are also playing on the easiest settings, which makes the AI very slow to react.

And have a good time fishing in Croatia, Placebo.

This is an old build of the game. It is work-in-progress. Do you not understand that? The previewers are also playing on the easiest settings, which makes the AI very slow to react.

And have a good time fishing in Croatia, Placebo.

I don't think you have to explain me anything.

If you would have thought a bit further and not only being a "repeater" of "Its an old build, bla blub", you would come to some conclusions, of which those are a few:

- How old is that build?

(and more important) :

- What can BIS fix of all those issues in ~2months? Considering they haven't done it so far obviously.

Isn't that enough to think about?

Old build Old build... Yes it might be an old build but it's from February. It's not THAT old. Do you think they'll have the time to fix all theses problems in ~3 months? I HIGHLY doubt it!

It is work-in-progress. Do you not understand that?

No need to repeat it over again, I think this was said many times already.

People keep expressing their opinion regarding the shown footage to ensure that BIS selects the most significant issues in order to figure them out before the game gets released.

I understand the feeling behind.

No doubts that people's opinions and feedbacks about these videos will help more than anything else.

Even if most of the mentioned bugs have already been fixed in the current version.

Regards,

TB

After seeing the videos and reading some previews (especially the one from Gamestar.de and Krawall.de), I have to say that I am also pretty concerned about the game.

Old build Old build...

Yeah, I thought about this sentence too in the last days... Many say: "But it was an old build!". And my impression is that in some cases it's just like a cheap excuse, like closing the eyes in front of the truth...

Of course I also hope that the actual version of the game is much better than that february-build, but like some others said... Are BIS really able to fix all those bugs until 29th of may (less the reproduction phase)??

BIS,

PLEASE

deliver Arma2 as the "Military Simulation of the next generation" which you promised us in the last years!

If another delay is needed to do this, damn it, simply delay it again! OFP:DR was also postponed.

I think it's better to wait one month or two more than than to experience such a crippled start like it was the case with Arma1...

And besides, I think that online magazines won't just test the game again and pull it out of a possible bad score after every patch release.

Please do not repeat the Arma 1 stunt.
Edited by Undeceived

After seeing the videos and reading some previews (especially the one from Gamestar.de and Krawall.de), I have to say that I am also pretty concerned about the game.

Not only after the horrible tiscali preview I don't care anymore what "game magazines" have to say. And Krawall... nothing.

Yeah, I thought about this sentence too in the last days... Many say: "But it was an old build!". And my impression is that in some cases it's just like a cheap excuse, like closing the eyes in front of the truth...
Cheap excuses? You (or any one else here) think that BIS gives away the newest builds? I don't know details either but I'm pretty sure that all magazines etc. have one build from the same date. Unless some of them post their version number no one can actually tell if something is newer or not nor you can say it's a cheap excuse.
BIS,

PLEASE

deliver Arma2 as the "Military Simulation of the next generation" which you promised us in the last years!

If another delay is needed to do this, damn it, simply delay it again! OFP :DR was also postponed.

I think it's better to wait one month or two more than than experience such a crippled start like it was the case with Arma1...

That might be true but you are aware that there are publishers waiting for the game to sell? That there are contracts made between them and BIS which don't magically disappear because the game is not 100% ready? I'm with you here but you have to tell that the publishers. Edited by W0lle
my english sux...

Im sure it took some time to build/put together a version for the previewers. So they may have made a stoping point before Feb to make this build.

It's a pity that the only ones who bother to post gameplay videos are the ones that are absolutely terrible at playing the game.

As for the AI acting slow, be aware that the mission being played appears to be some sort of into/tutorial type thing - you can tell by the hints that appear in the corner. So it would be made to be very easy.

*W0lle* is right about the publishers having the rights to decide to release the game or not. That's why so many games are released with bugs & glitches. Because publishers sign a contract with developers and devs told them the game will be ready & finished at X date. But when the date finally arrives, bugs are found, unexpected problems appears and developers need more time to polish it but theirs hands are tied to a contract.

Take a look at Empire: Total War. This is the lastest game I've bought. Fantastic game! But ridden with bugs & flaws. That's because Creative Assembly signed a contract with SEGA and they shipped the game even if it wasn't ready. Now CA told us they'll keep updating the game for a very long time. I think they've released 5 patches since the release (two months ago) and this is only the beginning! I really hate this! The game feels like a Public Beta.

Take a look at Valve. They release their games only when they're ready. Sure it does take more time but at the end it's a much more enjoyable experience. And with Steam it's even easier & quicker to update their games.

On a personal note I'm hoping BIS are free to delay the game as long as they want if it needs to. IMO if they could drop their publisher altogether and only release the game on Steam, worldwide, at the same date. I'll be happy! (But I know most people doesn't want this :) )

Edited by Tyl3n0L

As for the AI acting slow, be aware that the mission being played appears to be some sort of into/tutorial type thing - you can tell by the hints that appear in the corner. So it would be made to be very easy.

Yeah but still, the game would be incredibly easy then, i dont even think he got shot at cause the AI was basically doing nothing the entire time. :confused:

Funky pattern emerges within this community, when the features are requested ("OMG FLIR! Just slap some filters, shaders, makeup, eyeliner and it's done in a day!") , everything easy and doable in 5 mins, when the bugs are spotted ("OMG radio voices, will they be able to fix it in 3 months? qq"), they're labeled as impossible to fix in 3 months.

Yeah but still, the game would be incredibly easy then, i dont even think he got shot at cause the AI was basically doing nothing the entire time. :confused:

Reduce the AI skill as low as it goes in the difficulty options and play a mission with AI where their skill is set to low in the editor (in ArmA 1). Even worse results I bet :p

In one video it even looked like he had auto-aim (missing centre dot in the crosshair).

It needs to be easy for games journalists like that guy to handle...

^ now THAT's funny.^

If I'm hearing correctly, the narrative voices are mostly the same guy, done with only the remotest of inflection because they are placeholders. The common robotic voice has not yet been fixed. I'm convinced this is the same old build, as these things we stated to not be in the preview copy.

That said, I ecstatically like the perspective while running/rolling. The environment looks real. The sheep caught me off guard, I didn't think about them being there and suddenly realized I hadn't seen them before. Quite natural in that setting. Also - great dynamic range on those sounds - and yes the tavern ambiance carries a BIT to far, lo. but I'm noting, not judging, that it is the way it is.

Greedily awaiting the newer stuff (Do I need to get a box of kittens to threaten till it comes??? :p)

Strange nobody posted this here yet some new videos

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5567

two words of warning though:

1) it is loud so lower speaker

2) the way the guy plays in the first video is rather irritating :p

looks like the February build to me

Hmm, the dudes in the chopper (2nd vid, beginning) still look very emotionless and just stare as some stuffed dolls. :(