Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Hmm, the dudes in the chopper (2nd vid, beginning) still look very emotionless and just stare as some stuffed dolls. :(

I really like the characters animations here. Very likelife!

Yes, because that is a scripted cutscene. AI doesn't move like that normally.

You guys should stop whining about a game you haven't played yet

Seriously, people are making too many assumptions here.

And who knows maybe the animations and sounds will be perfected upon release, seeing as only one forum member here that I know of has played it, we really cannot start critizizing a game that we haven't seen beyond videos.

And who knows maybe the animations and sounds will be perfected upon release, seeing as only one forum member here that I know of has played it, we really cannot start critizizing a game that we haven't seen beyond videos.

I just think people are drawing from the experiences of both OFP, Arma, and seeing simliarities in Arma2 and have doubts that after many years without changes in those specific aspects - see little hope that in a few weeks time everything will be different., or "perfected". So simply saying "maybe everything will be perfect so stop questioning it", only enrages and encourages the conversation to continue going.

I'm not saying anything like that but thats just how it seems.

The reality is: a forum is made only to make wild speculations because otherwise you do not need such a forum at all. Following your logic we can close this forum and just read the manual of ArmA 2 when we buy it in the shop.

The reality is: a forum is made only to make wild speculations because otherwise you do not need such a forum at all. Following your logic we can close this forum and just read the manual of ArmA 2 when we buy it in the shop.

The thing is, whenever a preview video is posted people pipe up again and again about how this, that and the other is still bugged/broken and that the devs will never fix it in time. Fact is the previewers have an old build from February in which certain features were not yet implemented. That doesn't mean the devs only started creating those new features in February, it means that those features weren't ready for implementation. It should be pretty clear that the devs have been working on micro AI since long before Feb 2009, for example because they've been discussing it for ages.

All anyone can do is point this out. People calling it a "lame excuse" is not a reasonable argument. It's just "I think I am right, therefore you are wrong" mentality. On some of the review sites it even says "preview video, certain features are not fully implemented". Go and tell them how lame their excuse is.

EDIT: About those videos, I wish people would get their recording settings right. The sound is just awful. Also the voices do sound like they were all done by one person. Hopefully a placeholder.

Yes, because that is a scripted cutscene. AI doesn't move like that normally.

Are we even talking about the same vid? :confused: I don't see any scripted cut-scene at all.

Or you both being sarcastic? :p

Are we even talking about the same vid? :confused: I don't see any scripted cut-scene at all.

Or you both being sarcastic? :p

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5567

1st video, 1:12 when they gather at the KEYHOLE waypoint.

I'm assuming that's what Tylenol meant.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5567

1st video, 1:12 when they gather at the KEYHOLE waypoint.

I'm assuming that's what Tylenol meant.

Just watched the second video. Maybe its a old build or anything, but the AI looks so poor. The guy is running like crazy behind the fence, and the enemy soldier right next to him doesnt notice!

imho, game developers should always clearly state the date of the build they send to previewers, thus people would have a better picture of the situation. According to the journalist and according to the screenshots we know it is a WIP, but if the build's date (february 2009) was added to the screenshots, it would stop the speculations. Such a preview (and the criticisms that go with it), with the release date closer and closer, can only create anxiety among the fan base. Now we must hope for the better for the final reviews. :cool:

After watching the preview videos from gamekult, I can understand the frustration from some journalists with the razor team. Each member (including the player) seems to follow his own way after the mission's start.

In the second video "IA dream and sheep prodigy", the sheep opens the gate himself !:eek::D

Edited by MQ-9 Reaper

Isnt this suppose to be the first new build? Anyone got a hold of it?

Just watched the second video. Maybe its a old build or anything, but the AI looks so poor. The guy is running like crazy behind the fence, and the enemy soldier right next to him doesnt notice!

Saw that too. Can that really be the "super easy" AI setting? I mean, the AI mostly just run up to the player and stand there like idiots. Are we to assume that the AI difficulty settings range from "suicidal blithering idiot" to "elite marksman demigod"?

Saw that too. Can that really be the "super easy" AI setting? I mean, the AI mostly just run up to the player and stand there like idiots. Are we to assume that the AI difficulty settings range from "suicidal blithering idiot" to "elite marksman demigod"?

I dont really know. One thing is poor AI, another thing is AI that stands right in front of you and do NOTHING! I know its a Febuary build, but if this is the "standard" difficult mode, the AI has ruined the game IMO. Sure its a beta, and the done version will have improvements, but they cant make the AI much better in 1-3 months! They just cant make such huge improvements!

Sure its a beta, and the done version will have improvements, but they cant make the AI much better in 1-3 months! They just cant make such huge improvements!

Wrong conclusion again. See my post at the top of this page.

Luke, ok... lets consider this:

In Arma1, AI, Animations, Sounds, etc. were all bad criticizing points by the press reviews.

Now when i were a BIS decision maker, i would not in dream think about of sending a preview-version to the Press, with exact the same points again in such a bad shape... it simply makes no sense at all....

Its like when a car manufacturer was in the past criticized for quick rusting cars, promised to make it all better with the next model and sending the press a complete rusty version of the new model in which they promised to make everything better.

... it simply makes no sense at all....

I fully agree, it doesn't make sense, but it was confirmed by Ohara that the press preview build was an alpha version with many missing features. I don't understand why they would do that and I even voiced criticism of it, but that doesn't change anything.

I like the agile movement!!! It looks like pvp is going to be fun..

the only thing i dont like is that u have to zoom.. thats new to me, but i will be able to handle with it..

Yet again i have to search thru several pages to find the "latest press coverage" :(

+ its about discussing latest Arma2 press coverage - otherwise it would be a sticky only updated by forum moderators.

Funky pattern emerges within this community, when the features are requested ("OMG FLIR! Just slap some filters, shaders, makeup, eyeliner and it's done in a day!") , everything easy and doable in 5 mins, when the bugs are spotted ("OMG radio voices, will they be able to fix it in 3 months? qq"), they're labeled as impossible to fix in 3 months.

Good one.

I like the agile movement!!! It looks like pvp is going to be fun..

the only thing i dont like is that u have to zoom.. thats new to me, but i will be able to handle with it..

You are aware that you can zoom in Armed Assault?

Here I am looking at this thread, hoping that if I go to the last page, I will find the latest links to press coverage, but no. And then there is 330 pages! No way am I sifting through that looking for links...

So far I have read the Eurogamer Preview, the IGN Preview, and the ArmA2 better than crysis article, does anyone know if there are any others out there?

Thanks.