Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Lol those PCgames.de preview screens are so nice, much better than Czech preview ones.. and even on pretty high resolution. How this is possible ? :S :P

Any chance of a new press thread Placebo? This one's getting mighty full. Perhaps someone will post a thread linking to only the latest batch of previews.

Any chance of a new press thread Placebo? This one's getting mighty full. Perhaps someone will post a thread linking to only the latest batch of previews.

I've glossed over pages of scrutiny, and arguments, only looking for recent links.

A new thread could solve the fact that I'm not sure I missed something while avoiding tangents.

You would probably be better off looking at a newssite such as Armaholic.com to be honest.

Perhaps someone will post a thread linking to only the latest batch of previews

Arma 2 has such an updated list.

From the Eurogamer preview:

The first enemy contact in the preview version shown meanwhile that a lot of work in Bohemia, the artificial intelligence and similar activities. The "Micro AI" baptized system ensures even more sure that the realistic combat feel. Opponents usually avoid open areas, move from house to house and consistently use the available cover for their own purposes.

The times in which they as a convenient target just the middle of the road are over.

Micro AI, +1 for the good

Translated link: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurogamer.de%2Farticles%2Farma-2-vorschau%3Fpage%3D1&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

Last quote from article: ArmA 2 seems likely in May for the PC

Edited by Scrub

I wonder why some of the NVG shots are in black/white

It looks like it still has a green tint, just not enough to burn out your retinas like before.

PC Games.de

Somethign about OFP:DR and ArmA II. I can't read German... well I can kind of read German but very little and with a high probability of messing up so I don't know what it says.

I really hope we can turn off the part that lists speed and altitude, I want to look at my (hopefully legible) instruments this time.

That A-10 looks like its stalling...I'm also hoping they fixed its acceleration..

It is easy to fix the grid so that it is even 'more' proper. Mike84 mentions in this thread that cfgWorld should use 'stepY = -100' to get the northings right.

Compare this ArmA screenshot with this wiki article you see what I mean.

It should be the smallest issue in the world to fix for BIS, if you'll excuse the pun ;) Letting modders fix it could possibly cause 'bugs' in user missions that uses 'hard referenced' grids prior to the mod.

Has anyone noticed that the release date of the game on 505games.co.uk has been changed again from 26th June to "To Be Announced" status?

Has anyone noticed that the release date of the game on 505games.co.uk has been changed again from 26th June to "To Be Announced" status?

Yes, this has already been said somewhere on this forum.

Might be earlier, might be later.. we'll just have to wait and see ;)

Edited by DarkRaider
Added link to topic

Now we know Gamestar employees know how to configure their PC setup. :D

Screens look so much better than most of the other preview shots.

And i'm really happy to hear that AI is going to be better afterall. "The times in which they as a convenient target just the middle of the road are over."

PC Games.de

Somethign about OFP:DR and ArmA II. I can't read German... well I can kind of read German but very little and with a high probability of messing up so I don't know what it says.

This article just want the users to decide what's looking more stunning: Flashpoint2 or ArmAII. Nothing really interesting, just the usual: we have nothing to tell, really, that's why, after posting tons of uber-screens from Crysis, we now bring you this.

Beside that link, the PCGames also delivered a little preview of the preview version of ArmAII at http://www.pcgames.de/aid,682316/ArmA-2-Die-Militaer-Simulation-erstmals-angespielt-selbstgemachte-Screenshots/PC/Vorschau/

The article describes some of the features of the storyline and the impact on it, when you decide to do these or those things in the game. It also gives an overview of the new features, like manoeuvrable chutes, climbing obstacles, VTOL and the fauna. No Bugreports, nothing really new. The author says, that he feels ArmAII is more profound than OFP2, but on the other hand it is really complex to handle. He writes, that he suggest everyone to do the tutorial before start playing due to its complexity. But, he adds, that's the point where tactical gamers start feeling homey. At the end he is curious about what game will climb the throne - that, he implies, will show a detailed test with the full/gold version.

...It was not said, when such a test will follow.

oh my good i have to cry T.T

Yes its exactly what it means.

Werner Hopf (moderaor of Public German Channel in his very popular Show "Fontal21")

Exactly these Games, Call of Duty, are for military training. Because of this there is a global militarization of societies. Because who is training like militare becomes the same military drill and kill.

Joachim Herrmann (CSU (sister party of the ruling CDU))

We clearly have to prohibit these games. It cant be a free time activity to murder othe humans. ... (now he compare it with circus maximus and the gladiators)...

They showed Resident Evil 5, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Prey and GTA: San Andreas.

(sry for bad english)

little offtopic here, but lol?

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,682295/ZDF-Beitrag-zum-Thema-Killerspiele-Call-of-Duty-ist-ein-Training-fuers-Militaer/PC/News/

Can some german tell me if it ACTUALLY reads that call of duty is chosen to train military.

Nope it's about the usual debate after any school shooting here in Germany. The conservatives here, see a clear link between such school shootings and "Killerspiele", killer games. A part of the ruling coalition, the CSU (Christian Social Union) uses such events every time to demand a country-wide ban for those games, but on the other hand are telling the stupid folks, that weapons have nothing to do with it (well, the lobby is much bigger). They see games like Manhunt in juxtaposition with BF, OFP, GTA - everywhere virtual human beings can be killed by the players hands is in their definition a killergame.

The ZDF, a german tv station and a subject to public law, have recently again brought a report on the pretended link of school shootings and Counterstrike-like games. They had Resident Evil 5, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Prey and GTA: San Andreas in that report. Joachim Herrmann (CSU) says, COD4 is a training programm for the US Army, and it is an example of the militarization of the society.

The german gaming community harshly critized the ZDF for former reports which were really unilateral, but this time, the ZDF reported also the other side of the medal: Some guys that play Counterstrike but still are the nice boys, mothers wish to have.

However, one should know, that in Germany all the public television stations are lead by folks with party membership books in their pockets. You can cleary see in those programms who is who. ZDF for example is mostly conservative, whereas the ARD is more liberal.

Mr. Hermann seems to again show his absence of insight of the gaming culture and his usual use of polemics.

Edited by Hoot

Wait, since when did COD become training soft for US Army?

On topic: the new screen gamestar show are very good indeed, I just hope the AI thing they say is true.

Oh so you're trained to to follow a linear course of actions?

Didn't know war was so easy then we could all just play CoD and we'll be invinsible :D

I think too many people are writing off the recent video's ai behavior as failure of BIS latest attempt at it, and all of its constituents.

Lets read a little deeper. The level being played is most likely early on in the game, dont want to reveal everything. So with this, the enemies occupying the city were the ChDKZ, from what I've heard, they have some combat experience and are likely to be considered as a serious threat. However, the Razor team, and a few extra units by the look of the UI, are probably much more experienced and savvy to combat orientation.

So, with the first contacts strolling down the street, only to be shot down in a few moments by the marine team is considered very poor ai. Well to contest this, lets say that perhaps they weren't expecting retaliation, and if they were, perhaps not from battle hardened west veterans. Now taking this into account, as I watched, its clear that the player's ai were doing their job, how many of you considered this?

Okay moving on to the slower ai encountered later. The ones where the player would run into a new clearing (is that exactly a good demonstration of tactical superiority? In this case yes.) would stand there looking at him, moving they're gun to fire, just before being neutralized. Well, not really much to be said, I guess increase reaction time? I usually come out for the worst if I do that in veteran mode on ArmA. Maybe I'm just a bad player?

I think that what we've been shown isn't abysmal, though it isnt spectacular. I'll take the WIP excuse that is being politely reissued throughout this thread, but with it a grain of salt, in the hopes that improvements are demonstrated soon.

To cause some emotional waves in the people: Well COD4 wouldn't be bad option as training tool. It pretty immersive, it's controls are easy to learn and it does present some things enough realistically to have training-value. For example MOH: airborne wasn't as good as controlling soldier demanded some "getting used to"-time, if we have 10 hours oe less of time to spent on squad's virtual training soldiers should be familiar with controls after first hour or half.

Once asked form one guy form Finnish Defense Forces official which disposal is to keep eye on possible training tools said that COD4 would be considerable option if it would support things which for example VBS supports. Instructor-mode so to speak: easy to use mission editor, possibility to records every ones actions to be monitored later and so forth (i think he also said that recovery system should be removed too, but am not too certain). With those criterias fulfilled it could be considerable option if they, FDF, would consider "virtual grunt"-training programs to be needed, which they don't seem to do.