Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Agreed. Heck...why haven't we seen them do something like in this:

http://www.armedassault.eu/images/morfeoshow/inside_arma2-7989/big/SR_russian_mout_2.jpg

Is there a good reason why we haven't seen them act smart and do amazing things? like in that AI video where one AI was tactically moving around in the city. Where's that centimeter precision ?

All we've seen is AI laying on the floor. :/

Because this is taken a split second before AIs throw themselves to the middle of the street :p :D

Because this is taken a split second before AIs throw themselves to the middle of the street :p :D

Oh, ofcourse! that's not move from the corner posture, it's a split-animation of laying. :rolleyes:

On another note... this (to me) looks almost exactly the same as Arma.. :confused:

Haha, yeah! Nice ground textures! Nice round edges on the ground! And the water is still the old version...

Well to think that ArmA2 AI seemed to act like ArmA AI... What for example i am expecting is to AI to reach 2007 or 2008 year's level of "AI in combat"

Problems?

1. AIs rushed forward even when player killed couple of it's mates few seconds earlier. They had wall which they could have used as cover, they had tree which they could have used as cover. But what did they? They rushed forward in ArmA-style. Another kind of reactions have been part of computer games for years.

2. On later part of video, AIs (two of them) just stood still on the open when there was several objects offering cover such as walls and buildings. Player wiped out both them one-by-one. What was AI's reaction in both cases. Another kinds of reactions also have been part of computer games for years.

Sure those things could be put on chaos of combat-situation and not on worthlessness of AI. But overall this is quite common in ArmA2 trailers which presents infantry combat of ArmA2: AI doesnt' seem to have anything truly new. They are bunch of headless chicken still, so to speak.

So... Until proven that AI is really better i will not believe it. And each time i see AI reacts/acts like AI in ArmA, instead of new and shiny Arma2, i grow more weary and uncertain.

Should BIS do something about it? Release enlighting trailer of AI capabilities? Have Suma or someone smashing the whining with few facts? Overall seems that 30-50% of "whining" comes from AI. Or something...

Um, I think you are talking about the wrong video.. :rolleyes:

About the problems with good commanders/squad leaders. Well play on a server with a team that you know. How? Look a team up and get into that clan/team and youll see how much better this game is. PUB servers will always suffer when games are very realistic. Lack of teamwork in realistic sims will get you killed faster. And thats a fact.

Maybe AA2 novice mode counter this somehow though so all gamey gamers can have their "fun".

Um, I think you are talking about the wrong video.. :rolleyes:

Ah shite! :butbut:

Well point me to right one dear fellow. I shall wield my sword and ever gallantly gallop against it to smite it to ground! Or not... That depends of things.

I know it has already stopped, which is good, but the in depth discussion about warfare should be in the warfare thread please, I'll do some cleaning up later, have a fishing tackle store to go find ;)

arma2pc042.th.jpg

Interesting..... damage only at the ERA-Tiles......

Not good:

arma2pc044.th.jpg

Crew Disembark again at little more than 50% overall damage....

Nice find Mr. G-C! Working ERA is something I've wanted in ArmA (never bothered to try ERA equipped tank add-ons because I assumed they would not work).

EDIT: Sorry Placebo. :smile:

Edited by An-225

New preview (in spanish). I don't have time to translate it now, but might give it a try this weekend (anyone else offers as a volunteer?).

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_avances.php?pic=PC&id=cw49ef6baacf681&idj=cw46cc10e6b4725&idp=&tipo=art&c=1&pos=0

Just a small part of it regarding the AI and map, the rest is just blablabla

Another improvement on the scenery is that we can use it to hide more effectively. We can use shrubs and tall grass to hide in an effective way. It refers to the difference between coverage and shelter. Depending on what we are serving to hide and what type of weapon and ammunition are shooting at you. One thing is that the enemy can not see you and another very different is that their bullets can not pass through your coverage and hurt as well. In this Bohemia allegedly made a great effort to implement all the possible use of physics in weapons, focusing on the behaviour of the projectile, which will delight the "purists" or "Snipers" that know the benefits of sonic ammunition, the subsonic, the index MOA, the Coriolis effect and other parameters that are not accounted for in any other game.
But we can not show the great improvement that has suffered the IA, especially our team. While the enemies when they are attacked from a distance, simply lie still and see how they are going to die one by one, our team is moving in cover using the environment, repelling the attacks quite well, heal and share ammo between them and ultimately passes the burden of being dispensable from previous versions, a company really useful.

Even so, however, we fear that, as we are checking in Beta, we will spend allot of time regretting a killed member of our team, that we do not even know where he has gone and we have not been able to cover, or because we have been hurt and none of our colleagues came to help because they just running around on the map, or because the enemy has been unable to see us two meters behind him, but has been able to stop us with a one-kilometre shot. Anyway, that's ArmA and part of its main attraction: the difficulty.

Edited by Jorge.PT

Interesting..... damage only at the ERA-Tiles.....

Where do you see that? In the first pic tank has been hit to "generic left side" and is nearly immobilised (yellow damage). Nothing to do with ERA I'm afraid. And in second pic the crew has probably left their tank because it's immobilised (left side is fully red). So nothing new here really, it's been like this since OFP already ;).

New preview (in spanish). I don't have time to translate it now, but might give it a try this weekend (anyone else offers as a volunteer?).

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_avances.php?pic=PC&id=cw49ef6baacf681&idj=cw46cc10e6b4725&idp=&tipo=art&c=1&pos=0

Thanks for the link ! I hope somebody will do a translation because my spanish is very very rusty (much worse than my english :p).

I translated the part which interested me the most, the part about artificial intelligence (page 3).

The journalist seems to have mixed feelings about the AI in Arma2.

The good :

-the AI has been improved greatly especially the teammates:the friendlies uses terrain as cover, they behave correctly during firefights, they heal each others, they share ammunitions, they are now useful;

The not so good :

-AI teammates run everywhere chaotically putting their lives, and yours, at risk (the mission will be considered a failure if a razor team member dies but we already know this);

-sometimes, the mission doesn't end because an enemy (using micro AI) is hidden in the area;

-the journalist doesn't think it will be fixed as Arma2 will be released in 2 months;

-the enemies AI are still limited and die one after the other during mid-distance firefights,

-the rest of the critics has been translated by Jorge above ^^

----

I was so slow writing this message that a translation has already been posted (thanks Jorge) but considering the time I spent writing this, I decided to post it anyway :p

Edited by MQ-9 Reaper

While the enemies when they are attacked from a distance, simply lie still and see how they are going to die one by one

Damnation... :16_6_8: hope micro AI doesn't mean micro brain...

Two more interesting additions extracted from the author's comments on the forums:

- He claims that his preview version is from April 21st. He commented that he saw too many bugs to be corrected in just two months (if it is going to be released in June)

- He pointed that, unlike in OFP and ArmA, it is now feasible to (to some extent) accurately shoot while running

Interesting..... damage only at the ERA-Tiles......

Nope, good old left track and right track damage. Nothing new. You have, left track, right track, engine, hull and turret damage possible.

- He claims that his preview version is from April 21st. He commented that he saw too many bugs to be corrected in just two months (if it is going to be released in June)

No, all press verssions are from Feb, it takes some time to prepare them and to be fair all must recive same verssion, later or sooner

Lol those PCgames.de preview screens are so nice, much better than Czech preview ones.. and even on pretty high resolution. How this is possible ? :S :P

well the pcgames pics dont look good at all to me, look at the edges, that guy isnt playing with AA enabled, almost looks like the console version. i hope we get some high res + AA/AF screens from the gamestar.de preview.

No, all press verssions are from Feb, it takes some time to prepare them and to be fair all must recive same verssion, later or sooner

Ah nice, so the game goes gold in about 2 weeks for the release at 29th may? :)

Edited by Placebo
Merged.

Morphicon is May, 505 games is TBA. IIRC, publishers are moving toward a TBA status again (anyone confirm?)