Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

The most interesting thing is that those are in game images. ;)

Gamestar images are pretty nice imo :)

Also can't wait for video and full preview in weekend :)

Edited by Mafia101

BTW this preview build doesn't have hand signals system implemented but we know that it will be in the final game (we could see it even in the official trailer). So maybe in the preview build there isn't the new AI as well? We had an official statement that in the preview build there weren't buildings destruction module implemented maybe we could have an officail statement on the AI?

BTW this preview build doesn't have hand signals system implemented but we know that it will be in the final game (we could see it even in the official trailer). So maybe in the preview build there isn't the new AI as well? We had an official statement that in the preview build there weren't buildings destruction module implemented maybe we could have an officail statement on the AI?

All was said here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1273216&postcount=2175

I pleased with most of those gamestar.de screenies after seeing some strange ones in other previews, especially in terms of AA.

- The level of detail on buildings and terrain does not seem to match when looking from a certain distance. Buildings with more detail looks as if glued to a low-detail terrain.

800x600_prop.jpg

- I think the distance designations needs to be worked on. How many of them atm ? Near, very near, close, very close, far, not far, far from us, not far from us..

These expressions are not for exact ranging but to give you a feeling about how close the threat is. Close/Very-Close means you need to get your gun up and get defensive now...Far means you can stay alert and but have time to sort out what to do or out of sight. When you hear them they give you a sense of urgency right away...

But "near" or "not far" are way too vague and they don't create that sense of threat.

I think it best to use them in combination with meters...like instead of "not far" we can use "around 300 mtrs"...ie assuming "close" is 100 mtrs and "far" is 500 mtrs.

Again rather than using "near" for <50 mtrs, give mtrs as in "enemy..left..25 mtrs" because you can judge 0-50 mtrs easily.. Or use "Enemy..left..next to us" again create that urgency.

Keeping them simple help them create that desired effect --> next-to, very close, close, far, very far and rest report with meters.

Edited by Cross

Just a little something for people who cant shut up about the AI.

From what i have read, most of the people that complain have really high anticipations of what the AI can do, or should be able to do. From how i understand it people expect almost human-level thinking of the AI, and this will never be achieved. Sorry to break your bubble there.

It is a simple fact that AI will always have flaws. It is most of the time made up out of coded algorythms, there is always a limit to those calculations, and thus stuff the AI cannot do.

In games as huge and open-ended as ArmA/OFP this gets really taxing on the AI, as they can do several things. The algorythms will usually offer option A, B or C, whatever.

The AI will chose one of those options and execute, but there will never be any logic behind it. It might seem like it's thinking logically, but right after that the AI will do something completely retarded.

To create an AI with true logic is impossible, and hence AI will always do stupid stuff.

Now you can go on and yell "But we were promised that this and that..." but as a lifelong gamer i have learned not to fall into the hypemachine. Maybe you should learn as well...

And the micro-AI, taking cover at corners, might very well have the option to do just that. But who says it is thinking logically about when to take cover? It might do it at all the wrong moments, and never do it on the moments when it should. How could the AI possibly know? It's not a human.

SiC, stop defending the dumb AI seen in the videos. We are not expecting miracle artificial intelligence, but it would be nice to have AI atleast somewhat smarter than, for example, MMORPG monster AI. We have yet to see this "Micro AI" in action.

Interview with Jan Pražák about Arma II on Doupe.cz . http://www.doupe.cz/default.aspx?textartimg=1&article=133841 (it's only seen on text version doupe.cz yet). There are possibly some new screenshots.

According to Jan Pražák last factions videos from Arma2 was taken on CD2 3Ghz + GeForce GTX260 with maximal details and with visibility up to 10km .

So I don't know whum I should trust, Tiscali or PR manager, I'll see.

Edit: + prove good graphic cards like Radeon 4850 and GeForce 8800 according JP.

Edited by BoboCZ

Well, Ohara did say the UI is unfinished.. I'm of a mind, as I don't know, that the Reticles, zoom, and general "how the user sees and locks things (read: interacts)" is part of the UI. We'll see. :)

-Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocco

you can clearly see that those which we saw earlier are edited.

Originally Posted by Placebo

We don't edit our screenshots.

Isn't nice to have people accusing you of doctoring the images because their so beautiful? Haha, imitation being the greatest form of compliment? Move over! Accusations of excellence just took the crown.

I believe you, Placebo. However, it is apparent that you edit the screenshots in-game by using developer tools to create heavy depth-of-field.

Edit: http://www.gamestar.de/_misc/galleries/detail.cfm?pk=52911&fk=2004924&pid=6

Just making you aware of transparency/AA issues with vegetation/smoke if you weren't already.

Edited by 7

@SiC-Disaster

I understand your point and generally agree with you about unreal expectations for AI in a sandbox, huge scaled battlefield. But I'm mainly reacting to the Urban video which seemed to take many steps backwards in terms of displaying a coherent enemy response to being under fire. Many of us are hoping to get a better glimpse of the much ballyhooed 'micro-Ai' and that video didn't help to squash our fears of 'more of the same'. I also understand this video was an early build so like I've already stated, I'm holding my breath...

its like reading the same posts from 20 pages ago, and the same from 40 pages ago. we get it.

Lol, well said man. :D Some people are never satisfied...

Personally I can't wait to jump at the game.

Edit: The new german pix are great. :D:D

Edited by ziiip

The german screens are nice.

From all the previews I saw, most of the pics look good, some are a bit disappointing but none of them look as bad as Tiscali's and none look as good as BIS's either...

Is there still not an US publisher?, it is starting to get late now if may/june is the date.

Is there still not an US publisher?, it is starting to get late now if may/june is the date.

They have...somebody...

Nice gamestar screens, seems they are the lil minority that knows how to set AA in Windows if the game doesnt support it ( yet ) ;)

By the looks of that urban combat video I think it was just the guy playing must have toyed with the realism settings and he put them very easy or something.

Like easy AI in ArmA 1, they took very long to react and threw grenades frequently.

I believe you, Placebo. However, it is apparent that you edit the screenshots in-game by using developer tools to create heavy depth-of-field.

Err no that's simply a case of when we're creating screenshots and see a bug we don't include the bug in the screenshot because we know the game is WIP.

That's not editing screenshots.

To be more clear, we just do for examle 100 sshots and choose from them 10 best, but we never touch them. Never render, paint them, mix them, nothink like that, what is comon these days.

There sure is a lot of complaining going on about the screenshots and videos. If you guys have some ideas, go to the suggestions forum and make a thread. The game isn't out yet, its not finished. Everyone needs to relax

With a singleshot M136, I can let all squad members carry an M136

You're screaming for realism and then you proclaim your entire squad will be carrying AT-4s.:rolleyes:

ScorpionGuard your post was deleted due to 1. it being a rant and 2. having nothing to do with the thread topic, please stay on the topic of ArmA2 Press Coverage.

Can people please post with some intelligence? It angers me that people make conclusions without thinking.

Can people please post with some intelligence? It angers me that people make conclusions without thinking.

It'd be nice to have like a designated thread for people to post the news they discover and have the same place be a place where all the comments from Ohara/Maruk/Suma (+ the wonderful others) are placed there having said things like "The Radio isn't done yet", etc. Having that thread barred from discussion (while leaving this thread open for news postings and discussion). That way people don't have to come on here every night and have to scan through 200 pages of new pages of ranting discussion with a link here and there. Because, as I see it - most people aren't willing to travel 60 pages back before making a comment thats most obviously wrong or inflammatory... granted many of the posts *cough* here are stupid regardless.

If that thread had like a Czar that took all the news from that new thread and made them all available in the OP, that'd make it even easier.

To be more clear, we just do for examle 100 sshots and choose from them 10 best, but we never touch them. Never render, paint them, mix them, nothink like that, what is comon these days.

And that's why I like you :p

Good "rant" about this with Farma BTW ;)