Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

AFAIK 505games is the official publisher of ARMA2, so check this page: http://www.505games.co.uk/Games.aspx?ID=128 The date of RELEASE:

26th June 2009. Can it be the truth?

Sorry for bad English

When I checked this site yesterday, it said TBA, that means this release date went up today!!! :yay:

They set Farma 2(april joke) release date to June. And June is the date ive been guessing.

One thing which really needs a complete change is the physics engine (or lack off really). It is the same utter shit from 2001, we need newtonian physics for vehicles, objects, personell etc.

Implement ragdoll for the love of god, if you want a realistic shooter you can't have persons flying like cardboard boxes from a nearby explosion.

And for you persons bitching about ragdoll fucking up multiplayer: it doesn't.

Look at the ragdoll system for half life 2, it's pure awesomeness and works flawless in multiplayer games like counter strike source.

One thing which really needs a complete change is the physics engine (or lack off really). It is the same utter shit from 2001, we need newtonian physics for vehicles, objects, personell etc.

Implement ragdoll for the love of god, if you want a realistic shooter you can't have persons flying like cardboard boxes from a nearby explosion.

Look at the ragdoll system for half life 2, it's pure awesomeness and works flawless in multiplayer games like counter strike source.

Your missing the point on multiplayer. The PLAYER LIMIT is dramaticaly reduced when using ragdoll as the server load continues to multiply with every client due to the amount of calculations being sent to the server then to the other clients and vice versa. If that is solved then that will be cool, but so far bandwidth hasn't figured out a way to handle it. A better solution would be partial ragdoll mixed with animations, but I don't know if it's possible.

Tell me 1 Simulator that uses ragdoll? I don't think ragdoll will be for this game. It's fun yes but not for this type game. It's not real how the dead bodies floating around there.. And also in Arma you have one big map, no bodies will disappear, now imagine when some bodyes stuck somewhere and start to jump or sth in some reason, It will dropp your FPS badly. Even in MP games with small areas, no bodies on the ground sometime when you dead body stuck into something and starts jump it will drop FPS so yeah, I don't think we need Ragdoll. It will effect performance and will not be so realistic actually...

newest czech interview about ArmA2

Oh no, the uploader has made it private. Did anyone download it before it happened?

Tell me 1 Simulator that uses ragdoll? I don't think ragdoll will be for this game. It's fun yes but not for this type game. It's not real how the dead bodies floating around there.. And also in Arma you have one big map, no bodies will disappear, now imagine when some bodyes stuck somewhere and start to jump or sth in some reason, It will dropp your FPS badly. Even in MP games with small areas, no bodies on the ground sometime when you dead body stuck into something and starts jump it will drop FPS so yeah, I don't think we need Ragdoll. It will effect performance and will not be so realistic actually...

So you tell me it is real having people die in the exact same way, and not interacting with the terrain at all?

Ok I'll go try it

Nope didn't work! I tried throwing myself down a hill hoping to get glued to the ground, but it didn't work! I just rolled down to the bottom! Damn real physics, now my spine is broken.

Edited by Zerst0ren
none

Your missing the point on multiplayer. The PLAYER LIMIT is dramaticaly reduced when using ragdoll as the server load continues to multiply with every client due to the amount of calculations being sent to the server then to the other clients and vice versa. If that is solved then that will be cool, but so far bandwidth hasn't figured out a way to handle it. A better solution would be partial ragdoll mixed with animations, but I don't know if it's possible.

Doesn't have to be, the only thing having to be sent is the players position on the map, not the exact way the body lies in.

Oh no, the uploader has made it private. Did anyone download it before it happened?

I'm just at the moment uploading it to rapidshare, wait few minutes. I think he made it private, because it wasnt mean to be issue today. It's for tomorrow article.

Edited by BoboCZ

Doesn't have to be, the only thing having to be sent is the players position on the map, not the exact way the body lies in.

Then you can't use them as cover.

But in a game like ArmA sometimes its necessary to use those bodies for cover, and if the server does not show the corpse similarly for everyone playing you will have people complaining about being shot when for them they were hidden. I would love ArmA to have ragdoll but right now it just seems too hard to implement without a significant drop in performance.

[EDIT]: Beaten by sk3pt

But in a game like ArmA sometimes its necessary to use those bodies for cover, and if the server does not show the corpse similarly for everyone playing you will have people complaining about being shot when for them they were hidden. I would love ArmA to have ragdoll but right now it just seems too hard to implement without a significant drop in performance.

[EDIT]: Beaten by sk3pt

So you mean a body would stop a 5,56 or 7,62? Yeah sure, very plausible.

A body with a kevlar vest? Yep... lets see thats two armor plates it has to go through and a body so I would think it would stop it or if not that it would at least slow it down allowing your vest to stop it. Not all bodies would stop all kinds of bullets but some would.

I'm just saying that its how its worked in the games previously, and with ragdoll it would mean alot of extra strain on the server in order to calculate the position of each limb.

Yeah thanks for uploading it...... i thought it was problem in my browser that i can´t watch it.... :D

@Physics topic....

I am not an expert... but i think the physics for the characters and vehicles are not the same as for normal objects... I made some videos about object-physics.

If no ragdoll or other physicengine will be used in ArmA2 it would be better if after the deathanimation the character use the physic like the one for the barrels.

So it would be possible that the body can overturn etc. Perhabs its possible that just the limbs, head and arms use physics and the torso will be syncron....

But it would look like this smilie_sp_145.gif

a32ca-4.jpg

a3e32-4.jpg

But discuss it in the right thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=26335&page=56

Regards -rF- Cultivator

Edited by Cultivator

A body with a kevlar vest? Yep... lets see thats two armor plates it has to go through and a body so I would think it would stop it or if not that it would at least slow it down allowing your vest to stop it. Not all bodies would stop all kinds of bullets but some would.

Yes, but since the vest covers the center of the body (which in this case would lie on the same place for everyone since it is that position the game engine should send to the mp server) you could use it as cover.

chris64 and skept: I don't think a body would provide much protection from bullets IRL, especially if the body is lying on the back or stomach, in a angle where the west on the body would not cover much. Concealment yes, protection probably not so much

So I don't think this is a very good argument to not have ragdolls in the game.

EDIT: beaten by a whole bunch of people :D

Edited by sparks50

chris64 and skept: I don't think a body would provide much protection from bullets IRL, especially if the body is lying on the back or stomach, in a angle where the west on the body would not cover much. Concealment yes, protection not so much

So I don't this is a very good argument to not have ragdolls in the game.

EDIT: beaten by a whole bunch of people :D

Agreed, jolly good point chap.

Then you can't use them as cover.

*Looks at Halo, Gears of War 2, GTA IV, Half Life 2, etc.*

You'd still be able to take cover behind bodies. Halo 3 makes bodies go from ragdoll to animated when it was too much to handle, and the bodies block bullets.

But, personally, I don't care if there's ragdoll as long as we get a lot of death animations, like CoD4's. That was the only thing I liked about that game.

How can you not care for something that important? It is the exact reason why the game is cheezy. And the horrifying collision physics.

How can you not care for something that important?

What's important to you may not be important for the next guy. It's called an opinon. I myself couldn't care less about ragdoll physics in ArmA 2.

If the death animations are good, I don't care about ragdoll. And if the ragdoll wasn't realistic(like in most games), the game would be even more "cheesy" than with no ragdoll physics anyways.

Edited by Stimpak_Addict
Somehow posted same message twice. Changed whole message.

Thank you very much BoboCZ.... :D

Downloading with very sweaty hands... teaser looks great... ;-)

Regards -rF- Culti