Sign in to follow this  
ModaFlanker

March 6th Update on Patch Status

Or join a group instead of using public servers.

That doesn't help anybody. I usually don't have the time or will or a mic to commit myself to a group. I like to pop in MP here and there, but it's always evo and sucks balls, cheaters aloft etc.

What is weird is that if I have 2 sticks of ram side by side the incorrect way, ArmA will play fine.  But if I put my 2 sticks in the correct way in every other slot (i guess dual channel) then arma will freeze after about 20min of play.  Hope fully I will be able to run my sticks the correct way after this patch.

This depends on your motherboard & CPU, but to acheive double data rates on the AMD platform you must put a stick in seperate memory channels. These slots are usually (but not always) the same colours e.g put both sticks in the orange slots not an orange and yellow.

The slots are not always side by side either, my DFI motherboard has acheives dual channel using slots 4 & 2 but my old gigabyte board were slots 1 & 2 for dual channel.

Your sticks must also be bought as a matched pair, even the same speed memory from the same seller can be very different and cause problems. Usually your bios will tell you if the memory is working in dual or single channel.

Your sticks must also be bought as a matched pair, even the same speed memory from the same seller can be very different and cause problems. Usually your bios will tell you if the memory is working in dual or single channel.

My sticks (4 of them) are not matched pairs but run in dual channel fine.

There is no real benefit in matched pairs, even though the manufacturers would like you to think so.

So long as they are the same brand and same type or can at least all run at the same settings (timings, frequency and so on) they will be fine.

Maybe if you're going to overclock them to their absolute limit. But for average users it's not such an issue.

What is weird is that if I have 2 sticks of ram side by side the incorrect way, ArmA will play fine.  But if I put my 2 sticks in the correct way in every other slot (i guess dual channel) then arma will freeze after about 20min of play.  Hope fully I will be able to run my sticks the correct way after this patch.

This depends on your motherboard & CPU, but to acheive double data rates on the AMD platform you must put a stick in seperate memory channels. These slots are usually (but not always) the same colours e.g put both sticks in the orange slots not an orange and yellow.

The slots are not always side by side either, my DFI motherboard has acheives dual channel using slots 4 & 2 but my old gigabyte board were slots 1 & 2 for dual channel.

My memory are both the same and for my motherboard a 780i the correct slots are everyother which are blue black blue black. This actually happen with my old motherboard 680i as well.

Like I said above if I put them in black blue it runs without freezing and if I put them in blue/blue or black/black I will get a freeze after about 20 to 30min of playing.

I can alt tab most of the time after a freeze and shut down ArmA. But If I try to restart ArmA it will freeze as soon as it loads up. I have to restart my pc in order to play again. But none of this in the incorrect slots.

I was just pointing out that maybe this has something to do with virtual address space and what his blog is talking about.

Wolle: there hasn't been a discussion about release dates, read the post again.

How can they say it´s a beta? are th community beta testers? do we have a feedback journal, bug reporting tool or whatever? dont think...

just test it internal for some days and release it and have a mass beta stress test and give us hotfixes and give us an option to send an ingame bug report to BIS.

=- @ Mar. 14 2008,08:20)]How can they say it´s a beta? are th community beta testers? do we have a feedback journal, bug reporting tool or whatever? dont think...

What do you think the pinned beta patch threads in General and Troubleshooting are for?

smile_o.gif Not much traffic around here this week sad_o.gif I hope it all kicks back off when ever the patch is released.

=- @ Mar. 14 2008,02:20)]How can they say it´s a beta? are th community beta testers? do we have a feedback journal, bug reporting tool or whatever? dont think...

just test it internal for some days and release it and have a mass beta stress test and give us hotfixes and give us an option to send an ingame bug report to BIS.

paradox - give them rice, they want bread - give them bread and they want rice. sad_o.gif

By not releasing it as a beta, we would still be beta testers

only without somebody telling it official. Like the first release

of ArmA. The mass of the comunity didn't like that way - they

wanted to have beta's, so that they could be prepared hardware wise for the real thing.

Now when BIS has changed their approach back to beta before official release, ppl comming along begging for no beta's. weird crazy_o.gif

~S~ CD

smile_o.gif Not much traffic around here this week  sad_o.gif I hope it all kicks back off when ever the patch is released.

That ECS mod in the ArmA videos area, should keep everyone occupied until the patch is ready smile_o.gif

=-,Mar. 14 2008,02:20]paradox - give them rice, they want bread - give them bread and they want rice.  sad_o.gif

~S~ CD

Let them eat cake!

The beta patch is using the community as a very large albeit probably very poor quality and unreliable source of error detection. The way this benefits us is that we get new features sooner. If you feel that this is in some way wrong, I think that the simplest way to avoid feeling cheated would be not to download the beta patches!

I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks but I'm pleased to read that BIS will release another beta.

Quote[/b] ]

Fixed a few bugs in AI target recognition both visually and aurally

smile_o.gif

Now lets hope that means that the issue with being a bullet magnet after firing an AT/RPG being adressed.

Keep it up BIS!

/KC

A seasoned troll among n00blings would well recognize that the rewards of heaping hot coals upon the heads of a certain fallacy is fair more rewarding, and safer for one's own reputation, than taking the gamble to with malice return a STFU amidst the banter of t3h intardnets. A measure of prudence is highly advisable to avoid future pillorying when the impatient insults of the inane are exposed as the self-abusing and narcissistic absurdities that they are.

shinRaiden, despite the buried flames that you obviously feel above, that was one fine piece of writing. +5 for creative flaming. I forgive you for being hypocritical tounge2.gif

You should be a wordsmith by trade.

A seasoned troll among n00blings would well recognize that the rewards of heaping hot coals upon the heads of a certain fallacy is fair more rewarding, and safer for one's own reputation, than taking the gamble to with malice return a STFU amidst the banter of t3h intardnets. A measure of prudence is highly advisable to avoid future pillorying when the impatient insults of the inane are exposed as the self-abusing and narcissistic absurdities that they are.

shinRaiden, despite the buried flames that you obviously feel above, that was one fine piece of writing.  +5 for creative flaming.  I forgive you for being hypocritical   tounge2.gif

You should be a wordsmith by trade.

Ya I feel like an idiot after reading that. Ive been going to college for 8 years now lol only have a 2 year degree but that still went over myhead.

On topic........ maybe these ai fixes can help get a PvP CTI popular. Ai crossing bridges and looking for towns was one of the problems I had trying to convert MFCTI..

Any idea on a quick fix for me..

Quote[/b] ]

Out of Memory

Virtual memory total 2047 MB (2147352576 B)

Virtual memory free 1306 MB (1369673728 B)

Physical memory free 1897 MB (1989177344 B)

Page file free 1895 MB (1987284992 B)

Process working set 341 MB (357605376 B)

Process page file used 366 MB (384462848 B)

Runtime reserved 448 MB (469762048 B)

Runtime committed 310 MB (325816320 B)

ErrorMessage: Out of memory (requested 16 KB).

Reserved 262144 KB.

Total free 7 KB

Free blocks 2, Max free size 32774 KB

Link to 9e47571c (Obj-234,242:1820) not released

Link to 9f274cf8 (Obj-233,249:1272) not released

Link to 9d676bc1 (Obj-237,235:961) not released

Link to 9bc7823a (Obj-240,222:570) not released

Link to 9ba783d5 (Obj-240,221:981) not released

Link to 9b677227 (Obj-238,219:551) not released

Link to 9b877b94 (Obj-239,220:916) not released

Link to a14801e4 (Obj-256,266:484) not released

Link to 9b877b95 (Obj-239,220:917) not released

Link to 9c879013 (Obj-242,228:19) not released

Link to 88e5527b (Obj-170,71:635) not released

SmallMemAlloc not free when destructed - SmallMemAlloc::ReleaseAll skipped.

Elem. size 160

SmallMemAlloc not free when destructed - SmallMemAlloc::ReleaseAll skipped.

Elem. size 480

=- @ Mar. 14 2008,08:20)]How can they say it´s a beta? are th community beta testers? do we have a feedback journal, bug reporting tool or whatever? dont think...

What do you think the pinned beta patch threads in General and Troubleshooting are for?

those are not specific 1.09 bug reporting tools and im stunned that you think a forum is a bug reporting tool.

however, i´m not against betas, but if you "use" the community as beta testers, give them proper tools. It would make it so much easier, for BIS and for the beta testers.

I´m also not very pleased about how slow the development goes and i´m starting to believe that ArmA will never be a complete and finished game, which it should have been on release. It seems like BIS is concentrating it´s resources on ArmA2, trying to beat OFP2.

=- @ Mar. 15 2008,19:12)]

those are not specific 1.09 bug reporting tools and im stunned that you think a forum is a bug reporting tool.

however, i´m not against betas, but if you "use" the community as beta testers, give them proper tools. It would make it so much easier, for BIS and for the beta testers.

I´m also not very pleased about how slow the development goes and i´m starting to believe that ArmA will never be a complete and finished game, which it should have been on release. It seems like BIS is concentrating it´s resources on ArmA2, trying to beat OFP2.

This wouldnt work the forum is the best place for a open beta. Could you imagine the kaos and how unorganized Mantis would get if you have 100s or even 1000s of people trying to post bugs?

Its not like we are beta testing a pre-beta game. Im sure BIS knows about most of the remaining bugs. Some are more request than bugs there are limitations to the game engine and are not worth the cost of fixing.

If something small was changed in the engine then it could cause a whole overhaul of something else.

There was a community bug tracker but it got whiped out in some isp crash or something. It seemed to work fairly well.

I have a problem with beta patches, simply because it splits the community in half. Alot of people don't like testing a patch untill they know its not going to screw there game up.

I also think Bis is pushing peoples patience, all this time and i'm still a beta tester for a game that i paid for? Should i really be paying for somthing that i am testing. There are some people, who's job it is to test games, but and get paid for doing it.

If someone goes out today and buys this game, that is over a year old now. How they going to feel when they realise the game is still a beta?

I don't know how many times in the past year I said that:

No one forced you to purchase the game you call a beta. There were numerous reviews which pointed out the many bugs in the earlier versions.

Even without reading through all the various game review sites but just browsing the forums here would have told you that there were problems.

The game is a final release, just because you and others call the game still a beta, and repeating this at every chance that comes up, doesn't mean that it is the truth.

Quote[/b] ]however, i´m not against betas, but if you "use" the community as beta testers, give them proper tools. It would make it so much easier, for BIS and for the beta testers.

Here too, no one forces you to use the beta patches. You're free to stay with 1.08 until the final patch has been released. If you use the chance from BIS allowing you to have the patches prior to final release then feel free to have the bugfixes earlier but then don't complain about splitting the community or about "being used as betatester", which is actually not the case.

On a sidenote: You can run the patch aside 1.08, I don't see where it should split the community when you can go back to 1.08 by simply restarting and using another shortcut.

As for the "proper tools"...

You can report bugs here in the forums, if you watch carefully you'll see that the devs are reading - and replying - to posts. Of course only as long as these posts (or bug reports) are atleast somewhat usefull and contain detailed informations/repros.

Just "xyz doesn't work" ain't enough, neither here nor in a bugtracking system.

And while the community bugtracker was a good idea and step in the right direction, it became more and more a place for wishlists rather then bug reports.

I have a problem with beta patches, simply because it splits the community in half. Alot of people don't like testing a patch untill they know its not going to screw there game up.

I also think Bis is pushing peoples patience, all this time and i'm still a beta tester for a game that i paid for? Should i really be paying for somthing that i am testing. There are some people whos job it is to test games and get paid for doing it.

If someone goes out today and buys this game, that is over a year old now. How they going to feel when they realise the game is still a beta?

A patch being a beta and a game being a beta are two drastically different things. A patch is like a mini-product, it goes from alpha -> beta - > release candidate -> final in the same process as a game does. You seem to be confused about that part of things.

WTH?

I see people complaining when ArmaII is anounced for fear of abandoned support for Arma, now that we have another IMO, important patch coming down the pike, people are complaining the game should have already been like that from the getgo  huh.gif

let it go people...

I also think Bis is pushing peoples patience, all this time and i'm still a beta tester for a game that i paid for? Should i really be paying for somthing that i am testing. There are some people, who's job it is to test games, but and get paid for doing it.

Dudester,

Have you played GRAW1 and GRAW2 or even R6Vegas or even the NHL series from EA sports? Talk about being beta testers... and I paid more for those games than ArmA to collect dust on my shelves!

At least BIS listens and tries to fix/add features to a game TOTALLY unlike GRAW2. Go to Ghostrecon.net and see how happy those people are that 1.05 FINALLY came out and caused more problems than the previous patch.

My brother works for EA, and you should hear the things they do there...no really you should. He calls me twice a week for hours to bitch and laugh at how they do things. I keep telling him to tape their meetings or even his daily routine because it's so unbelievable sometimes. Totally "the office" for sure biggrin_o.gif

I also think Bis is pushing peoples patience, all this time and i'm still a beta tester for a game that i paid for?

I think that you're being unfair. People (including me) have complained that BIS misrepresented the game when it was released (which they did.) Now, after 1.09 I personally think that the game is fairly playable (at least in SP, I don't play MP) and while there are still issues, they're are working on those, since we know that another patch is being tested/tweaked as we speak.

So now, when they released 1.09 Beta, they said "we think it's ready, but we're not 100% sure, but here you are, try it" - in other words, they're being truthful. They didn't want to delay it any more but they also said that it's not fully done - use it if you feel like it. I wouldn't want to go back to 1.08, that's for sure.

I think nothing is wrong with this, especially how upset people would be (again me included) if this was a "final" patch and it wasn't working, so I think they're doing the right thing.