Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

ArmA 2 Press Coverage

I think the recent dissapointement is due what the community has been exposed to over the years.

Arma-----> New of Game2*------> News of Arma2

* Game2 last year was advertised in magazines (And has screenshots) of Dynamic campaigns, Hugely detailed vehicle interiors i know these were concepts but something tells me that all the old screenshots of Game 2 were the marks of a brilliant looking game. it seems that the look of Arma 2 (next gen game) are below what we saw in these concept screenshots.

I know that exactlly my problem with all the "new" ArmA2 info and screens... the original game2 shots and info from 2005 were amazing, while the new stuff is very dissapointing in comparison.

And while some in the community will be satisfied with a mediocer game thats just a slight improvement over ArmA1 with a new campaign, new map, and some new units (basiclly and ArmA mod).... most people will be very dissapointed and not buy it. Now Im not saying thats what the final product of ArmA2 is going to be, but the news and new media of "ArmA2" has been nothing but steps back from what we were originally expecting in "Game2".

As Ive said in the past, only time will tell just how much the devs care to make ArmA2 really good... or if they just throw together an ArmA mod and pass it off as a new game.

Did you heard about new stuff in VBS2? This new stuff is really amazing, many of them ist that what should be in Game 2. For me that means BIS can do this, but first for VBS2 for more money. Then later for the normally games. I'm too dissapointed with every new info about ArmA II (okey, I'm not with info about RPG Elements), but I every time believe, that BIS will do it for us. We don't now what they have for version of ArmA II in there Studio. This what we have seen, means not that this is everything what they done. And of course they can do this what they promised, but first for VBS2 (look new list of features) and perhaps later for us. We all now how BIS like deleying there products. I'm pretty sure, ArmA II will be first release in 2009. They will get enough time to do this features. People, we have ArmA, we should play it and waiting smile_o.gif.

Side note VBS2 is developed by BIA in not BIS..I'm not sure how works on the engines and vehicles..I think the COMBAT! team (if they still work with em) develop some/most VBS2 vehicles, while BIA enhances the engine.

I'm guessing BIS makes the Arma/ArmaII addons and shares them with BIA, similar to OFP-VBS1, which is why you willl see some aircraft (UH-1Y) in Arma II that is also in VBS2.

I really hope more new animations are introduced. I mean there will be new for sure and the ones we have now that works good should stay but be tweaked for a fresh new feeling of little more control in those tight situations like CQB. Maybe walk and reload and little less "dead time" between postures. No rabbits on amphetamine a la BF2 ofcourse, but just more feeling and quickness. And the quickness should suffer after moving much like real life, like now in arma (getting tired).

When i saw the QG animations on youtube i really got happy about hearing that enemy AI might show hand signals etc. If its done good, just scouting a place out before attacking will be fun. See the enemies guard with guard anims more life like moving back and forth and squad leaders point with their whole hand and order soldiers left and right. Also see enemy ai on the streets do some maneuvers with life like anims is a cool idea. If it can be done nicelly. But anims on player to minimize sluggishness without create a bunny hopper is what i want, apart from everything else that have been said.

QG Anims: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11l_HVCFYA

And im no PvP:er i might add. I like it but 90% is COOP for me. I just feel that i can move faster/better in real life and walk more steady while aiming. So i just want the anims to copy that a bit better for realism sake. Dont want any dream handling, just that BIS tweaks the one we have now a little bit closer to reality.

Regards

Alex

With a pinch of common sense, there should be a counter-advertising policy to save what could be saved after the release of the last videos.

Since many people will keep persuaded and deeply convinced that the game's status illustrated in the last videos is the one they will be more or less facing once the game is released.

What surprises me here is the uncommunicativeness of BIS members regarding the ongoing unenthusiastic and negative opinion.

Since, at least 1 post coming from the bohemian offices would have undoubtedly appeased some minds and then clarified the situation.

Regards,

TB

With a pinch of common sense, there should be a counter-advertising policy to save what could be saved after the release of the last videos.

Since many people will keep persuaded and deeply convinced that the game's status illustrated in the last videos is the one they will be more or less facing once the game is released.

What surprises me here is the uncommunicativeness of BIS members regarding the ongoing unenthusiastic and negative opinion.

Since, at least 1 post coming from the bohemian offices would have undoubtedly appeased some minds and then clarified the situation.

Regards,

TB

You are absolutely right on this one....

Suma or someone else had only need to post one sentence like:

"No, what you see on those videos doesn't reflect the current status of the game"

Period... all would be pleased.....

biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

How much of a difference would it make if BIS made some comments about the videos? People would still complain. They're damned if the do or damned if they don't.

Maybe they should do what Codemasters is doing with OFP2, release some OVER the top rendered pics so all the jaded people who bought Arma can drool over them and declare how awesome the game is, like they do with OFP2.

I just hope they get the basics down pat ( AI, animations, text loding etc... ) before they release Arma2. If they don't, I don't think they'll recover, and I really want them to.

Oh has anyone been to the UBI forums for R6V2 since the release? I thought the negativity was bad here, but over there it seems much worse and that's bad because as much as I hate what they've done with GR and R6, Vegas2 isn't that bad.

Regards,

TB

You are absolutely right on this one....

Suma or someone else had only need to post one sentence like:

"No, what you see on those videos doesn't reflect the current status of the game"

Period... all would be pleased.....

biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

You know tho, it is also possible, however unlikely that what we saw in the videos IS in fact represenative of the current status of the game and even possibly the final state.... and thats why the devs haven't said anything.

Of course thats highly unlikely, and its impossible to tell anything from the communication (or lack there of) from BIS since the devs tend not to spend a whole lot of time on the boards no matter what the situation is (not really a bad thing, Id rather them working on the game). Im just saying tho, its never good to assume anything, especially when it comes to ArmA2 (Game2)... or you might end up very dissapointed in the end.

Nay, the saying is that it is never safe to assume as to how things look from images or videos of BIS.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9618

The videos were also claimed to be three months old, see a bit of a pattern? At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it so much, every company has their WIP's, I'm more judgemental on the final product.

Afterall, why get overheated over a WIP?

erm what You mean?

as BIS staff posting on these forums nearly daily (but to be 'fair and sure' weekly) ...

or You got in mind something 'specific' e.g. related to animations?

erm what You mean?

as BIS staff posting on these forums nearly daily (but to be 'fair and sure' weekly) ...

They want to hear an official statement about the current state of the game. (If it is close to what we have seen in the last video's or that they have already made progress)

Personnally i dont think it will change much graphics wise, the systems specs are already high and i dont think they can give us much better graphics without seriously affecting the gameplay.

Nay, the saying is that it is never safe to assume as to how things look from images or videos of BIS.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9618

The videos were also claimed to be three months old, see a bit of a pattern?   At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it so much, every company has their WIP's, I'm more judgemental on the final product.

Afterall, why get overheated over a WIP?

Wow I just realized that the city in that post is Paraiso in its early development based on the terrain around it and the airport in the background.

wow after looking at the screenshots in the ofp.info article: arma"2" has a LOOONG way to go. it feels like it atleast needs a 2009-2010 release to be called a new game. then again i might be wrong but im not hoping for anything.  huh.gif

edit: looked at the date and it was 2006. my bad. but even with the newest screenshots and vids arma"2" needs a lot of work.

Somthing new? .."Exclusive"..

"Armed Assault 2 - exluzivní první dojmy z Äeského váleÄného simulátoru"

Sorry my czech (and english biggrin_o.gif) is bad wink_o.gif

erm what You mean?

What ofpforum said. It would be nice if the devs would drop in on topics like this and help get the facts strait on things, like are the animations final, whats still to be added that we haven't seen in the screenshots, and just address basic concerns the community has had.

And xnodunitx, the diffrence back then was the devs came out pretty much right away and said how thoes screens looked very diffrent from the actual state of the game. I still say if your expecting the same amount of improvement in the ArmA2 shots as we saw in thoes ArmA shots, your setting yourself up for a big dissapointment. The ArmA2 shots are in a far more polished state then the old WIP ArmA shots you were refering to, and are likely much more represenative of the final state of the game.

Again tho its not really the graphics themselfs that are concering, as they aren't too bad (still gonna be a hard sell to the console community), its other things like character animation that are the real concern in the latest media.

That "inside the Hind cockpit picture" looks frightening real.

Anyway, I wish they did an extra effort on the buildings.

Absolutely awesome!!!

Man.... great!!!!!!!!

This is , damn i can't find the proper words for it...

Only because of that landscapes and such i will buy the game.

notworthy.gif

Is it just me or does the terraingridsize look way smaller in the two middle pics biggrin_o.gif

It looks really nice! notworthy.gif

Hello there,

thanks again for letting us look behind the scenes,I always find that very interesting smile_o.gif .

The graphics in those screenshots look a bit odd, but I figure all the bloom is a requirement these days , sad times indeed.

Edit: I apologize for that graphics comment as the far more interesting information in that article is the vegetation creation process and I didn't want to draw the focus to the visual settings the guy who made the screenshot used.