Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Is Queens Gambit going to have better animations

@ MadRussian

I would sign up and vote, but i cannot find the place to register on that link you gave. Do you have a direct link to the sign up page.

Info on how to sign up for the ArmA Bug-Tracker is here.

Seems like it took a little longer than you would think for BT access once you submit for it... but be patient, you do eventually get your login. smile_o.gif

For any who may have missed it, here's the link to the bug in the BT that covers the missing anims transitions (and a whole lot more):

URL=http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2053

It is by far the best description of the missing anim transitions I've seen (covered in excruciating detail in the Notes section). Thanks to Whisper for taking the time to write it up and wamingo for the excellent details provided therein.

Though i doubt that BI will fix all of them (especially the speed of the animations as this is a gameplay choice), i guess you could still make a CTF mod or something bu just changing the animation speed by changing the 'speed' value in the config like in OFP. (Though it seems that the speed value needs positive values nowadays, in OFP you needed negative ones), and you could also 'fix' the up and down aiming by changing the ' minGunElev = -80;

maxGunElev = 60;' values in the characters.pbo. (EDIT: Though that would still leave you with your arms in front of your face when lying down and not using the iron sights)

As discussed many times earlier, mods area a bad choice since it's mainly a public game type and would restrict access even more. Your esthetic workaround isn't the thing, because then you could get even more advantage by fortifying yourself somewhere up high, like a church tower.

EDIT: Actually, now im rereading this..

Why the hell are you still playing this game?

Obvisouly you want a BF/CoD/Stalker/Any other FPS movement system with the gun stuck on the screen(* Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top and bottom + * No cursor jumping while moving) and where you are in the movement stance you want in lightning speed (* Faster nade throws

* Faster weapon switching while prone

* Faster change to prone), also you dont seem to be using the features like vehicles and the huge area's ArmA offers as you prefer to play locked withing some buildings in some mini map.

Those are all the features what makes this game what it is, if you want to change all of those or dont use them then you might as well play another game right? huh.gif

You assume too much about me - I'm not a de facto CTF player and I make use of more features than you assume. I don't want gameplay identical to some other game, the talk was about lousy animations and the fix list I made hardly changes the game to an action shooter.

I play ArmA for the same reasons as anyone else including the dreaded CTF people - for the realistic gameplay. Before an argument against unrealistic game types, the game type is about what your objective is, that's all. The game type requires certain limitations to be fair and work properly, unbalanced vehicles kind of force map makers to stick to light vehicles or have none of them. I made a CTF with Sopwith Camels but it's rarely played because flying is too complicated for most people.

While I still think that the Arma animations are visually among the best and I do share the gripes with transitions I couldn´t resist to comment that list:

* Faster nade throws, partially agreed

* Faster weapon switching while prone, not agreed

* More responsive prone-to-run, not agreed

* More launcher firing and reloading stances, agreed

* Launcher moves with normal movement and turning speed, not agreed

* Move with binocs, not agreed at all

* Holster pistol and put rifle in back, agreed

* Stop movement anytime, not after full animation sequence, result will look VERY broken

* Don't put rifle to safe mode when starting sprint diagonally, partially agreed, while I see no real issue here

* Allow small moves in crouched sidestep, agreed

* Don't change crouch to stand after sprint, agreed

* Faster change to prone, not agreed

* No movement lock during reload, definately not agreed

* No cursor jumping while moving, definately not agreed

* Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top and bottom, if this means limiting it to natural limits, I fully agree

* Stop movement anytime, not after full animation sequence, result will look VERY broken

I have to say I have been thinking about this long time already after purchasing and playing ArmA.

If I were a game developer, I would put effort into making sure that a player's in-game character stops and doesn't walk forward when the player releases the key to walk forward. And I don't mean to ignore the laws of physics, I mean when a brain says "stop" then the "muscles" should do something about it.

I said earlier in this thread: can I not cancel a step? Can I not pull my leg back when I was going to take a step forward, but decided to cancel it? Oh yes I can. In ArmA the game decides to force me take the full step and maybe one full step more before the character stops. The connection with the "brain" and the "muscles" is just too slow in ArmA. The in-game character should feel to me like I am one with it, with the kind of character control and animations I have in ArmA it is far from that.

I can adjust the control parameters in ArmA settings but this far I haven't found settings which fixes the problem. Feel free to give guidance on the optimal control settings.

I have to say I have been thinking about this long time already after purchasing and playing ArmA.

If I were a game developer, I would put effort into making sure that a player's in-game character stops and doesn't walk forward when the player releases the key to walk forward. And I don't mean to ignore the laws of physics, I mean when a brain says "stop" then the "muscles" should do something about it.

I said earlier in this thread: can I not cancel a step? Can I not pull my leg back when I was going to take a step forward, but decided to cancel it? Oh yes I can. In ArmA the game decides to force me take the full step and maybe one full step more before the character stops. The connection with the "brain" and the "muscles" is just too slow in ArmA. The in-game character should feel to me like I am one with it, with the kind of character control and animations I have in ArmA it is far from that.

QFT!

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm getting from ArmA.

I just opened the arma browser, but there wasn't even 1 ctf or dm. i think that's pretty sad after allmost 10 months of arma and the only one who could change it or at least inform us would be Maruk, but he didn't left one word on this issue. so i'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the so called "pvp comunity".

Those facts have allrdy answered the topic question for me. The features of Queens Gambit are out and they don't show any progress on this problem.

Instead of making an anticheat system, they just made PvP so annoying that no one is playing it, its also a way to do the job.

There was a time where we all said, we don't care about grafics, its the gameplay that made ofp surviving 6 years. but this isn't ofp, this is arma, whatever this is supposed to be.

PS @ofpforum, please spare me with a comment of yours...thx

I hear that QG not only improves animations, but also soldier models as well. It also makes you more attractive.

FemaleSoldier.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Those facts have allrdy answered the topic question for me.

Sure, if you disregard that the CTF "community" has left the ship long ago, let´s say about 4 years ago.

It´s not a matter of animations, but a matter of people who are simply tired of CTF games.

You assume too much about me - I'm not a de facto CTF player and I make use of more features than you assume. I don't want gameplay identical to some other game, the talk was about lousy animations and the fix list I made hardly changes the game to an action shooter.

I play ArmA for the same reasons as anyone else including the dreaded CTF people - for the realistic gameplay. Before an argument against unrealistic game types, the game type is about what your objective is, that's all. The game type requires certain limitations to be fair and work properly, unbalanced vehicles kind of force map makers to stick to light vehicles or have none of them. I made a CTF with Sopwith Camels but it's rarely played because flying is too complicated for most people.

Well im sorry then but the

* No cursor jumping while moving

* Faster change to prone

* More responsive prone-to-run

* Faster weapon switching while prone

Really made it look like that, and its not i dont like CTF either, if they had used bigger maps (and possibly add some AI/vehicles to compensate for that, as those are the reasons i got this game and they are the features that makes this game different compared to others.) then it would have been a very nice gametype IMO, and if you replace the 'flag' with a briefcase, car, documents, map or whatever then it would also shut the absolute realism freaks up.

* Stop movement anytime, not after full animation sequence

^^That is something which doesnt make sence to me, this only happens when going from prone to sprint and similiar animations, but when you are running you just cant make a full stop when you are going to lay down like in other games.

As others have discussed their own opinions on this list, so shall I smile_o.gif

* Faster nade throws - Nope. Seems about right to me. I only wish for a more a more intuitive method of selecting grenades, but the throwing itself is about right timewise

* Faster weapon switching while prone - Nope. Switching weapons is difficult in RL, particularly when prone.

* More responsive prone-to-run - Insta-run? Not seen a problem with this. Takes me a second or two to get going in RL wink_o.gif

* More launcher firing and reloading stances - Possibly.

* Launcher moves with normal movement and turning speed - Nope, they're bulky awkward items.

* Move with binocs - Possibly. I would certainly like to see lean with binos to see around close vegetation etc.

* Holster pistol and put rifle in back - Don't understand this one.

* Stop movement anytime, not after full animation sequence - rgr that smile_o.gif

* Don't put rifle to safe mode when starting sprint diagonally - IMO sprinting should always be with rifles at safe mode.

* Allow small moves in crouched sidestep - hmm.. yep smile_o.gif

* Don't change crouch to stand after sprint - yep

* Faster change to prone - nope. Takes about the right amount of time.

* No movement lock during reload - Nope - but I would like to see the possibility of breaking out of reload to move. Reloading while moving shouldn't happen IMO

* No cursor jumping while moving - you must be joking? You want rock-steady aim while moving? You're definately in the wrong game mate smile_o.gif

* Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top and bottom - as in make it more aesthetic? Whatever, I have no opinion on this one.

* Move with binocs - Possibly. I would certainly like to see lean with binos to see around close vegetation etc.

You know, that's already possible, it's not much of an arc though and of course you can only use it while standing/crouching.

As others have discussed their own opinions on this list, so shall I smile_o.gif

* Faster nade throws - Nope. Seems about right to me. I only wish for a more a more intuitive method of selecting grenades, but the throwing itself is about right timewise

Try throwing a nade in another stance than standing with rifle, like crouching, or with a handgun.

* Faster weapon switching while prone - Nope. Switching weapons is difficult in RL, particularly when prone.

The animations give a feeling that the soldier has no hurry in the world while doing it. He even does a weird hand gesture in the middle part.

* More responsive prone-to-run - Insta-run? Not seen a problem with this. Takes me a second or two to get going in RL wink_o.gif

No insta-run. There seems to be a delay in evasive forward movement when prone.

* Launcher moves with normal movement and turning speed - Nope, they're bulky awkward items.

Still you can have them on your back with no problems whatsoever.

You can't do those. Handgun case applies when there is no rifle.

* Don't put rifle to safe mode when starting sprint diagonally - IMO sprinting should always be with rifles at safe mode.

After the sprint it actually switches you to safe mode so that you hold your rifle down low like you're on holiday.

It actually gets people killed when they keep jogging those extra steps before getting prone.

* No movement lock during reload - Nope - but I would like to see the possibility of breaking out of reload to move. Reloading while moving shouldn't happen IMO

If you can do it in real life, why should it be restricted? RL is too rambo to simulate it?

* No cursor jumping while moving - you must be joking? You want rock-steady aim while moving? You're definately in the wrong game mate smile_o.gif

No, cursor doesn't mean aiming point. The cursor that you use to aim the gun bounces around randomly while moving.

* Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top and bottom - as in make it more aesthetic? Whatever, I have no opinion on this one.

Make the soldier aim to the top of the sky and completely below without arms going through his face. Right now it's impossible to shoot someone in a church tower from below.

Quote[/b] ]* Holster pistol and put rifle in back - Don't understand this one.

In ofp when you went into safe mode you would put your gun on your back this has changed now you put it in a sort of patrol walking stance, they probally changed it because of the large amount of mods that changed it to what it is now.

I would like to see the action weapon on back again with a option in the editor to set it for ai etc. and I take it you know what the holster pistol point means cause your english looks good enough wink_o.gif

Methinks that everyone in this game should be slightly more mobile. The grenade animation is a perfect example - you've thrown your nade, your hand is empty, and yet you still have to wait a little while longer while the animation brings the arm back to the gun and raises it up to firing position again. What's extra stupid is if you're sitting there waiting for the animation to end so you can move back into cover, you're about to lower your gun again to move anyway.

Of course, the major advantage I see of the players working for the animations rather than the animations working for the players (and that is undoubtedly what's happening here) is it encourages realistic play. There's no dodgy floating around on your feet whilst snapping off shots and bunnyhopping around like a nutter. I played BF2 the other day (yeah, sue me tounge2.gif ) and the sheer difference in how players can move is shocking. BF2 looks like a bunch of deathmatchers leaping around. pistols.gif

PS: Don't forget! Quicker prone animations will lead to irritating floor diving theatricals. If the time it takes to hit the dirt is sped up, the time it takes to get your rifle back up and firing shouldn't be tampered with.

on the list

* Stop movement anytime, not after full animation sequence

thats the only one that annoys me ,especially when i am walking

that extra step and a half it takesafter i release the "w" button really annoys me ,lets have interuptable

animations from vanilla without custom interpolation work from community smile_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]Those facts have allrdy answered the topic question for me.

Sure, if you disregard that the CTF "community" has left the ship long ago, let´s say about 4 years ago.

It´s not a matter of animations, but a matter of people who are simply tired of CTF games.

sorry but thats just LOL!

There are more people playing CTF in OFP right now than in ArmA and whats the big difference between ArmA and OFP?..right, its the animation/movements/controls of your model.

Im not talking about the grafix, cause some time ago before ArmA was released we all were sure that game-play is more important than grafix. Now we have ArmA and its just up side down.

ArmA got beautiful grafix but the game-play is just as weak as the grafix are in OFP.

Plz dont say: "then dont play ArmA", cause i like ArmA, but i would like to love ArmA even more and the only problem we got now is the fact that in nearly one year BIS wasnt able to solve the bugs of the animations/movements/controls of the model.

I think its just too funny to see some guys posting here and saying that the animations/movements/controls are totally fine. This guys have never played other FPS games or even OFP, cause then they would see how robotic, clumsy and very slow the so called "realistic" animations/movements/controls are in ArmA.

In my opinion should this current animations/movements/controls stay in VBS2 and not in ArmA, cause ArmA should make fun, cause its a computer game and BIS wants to earn some money with it, but till now they havent sold ArmA very often. Less than 1000 people max online proofs it.

BIS just needs to improve the animations/movements/controls of the model and then can ArmA become a hit like OFP was, but if the current situation stays then i dont see a long future for ArmA like OFP had and that would be really sad in my opinion, cause ArmA got the potential of becoming a classic!

Try throwing a nade in another stance than standing with rifle, like crouching, or with a handgun.

Well I still maintain my stance on this one wink_o.gif throwing a grenade isn't always easy, however I will check out your example situation later smile_o.gif

The animations give a feeling that the soldier has no hurry in the world while doing it. He even does a weird hand gesture in the middle part.

That sounds more like an aesthetic complaint, I don't see much wrong with the timing of it still.

No insta-run. There seems to be a delay in evasive forward movement when prone.

When prone? Well there should be wink_o.gif

Still you can have them on your back with no problems whatsoever.

As I would expect. A stowed launcher is less of an encumbrance compared to holding & aiming it.

You can't do those. Handgun case applies when there is no rifle.

Haven't noticed this one, so I'll concede wink_o.gif

After the sprint it actually switches you to safe mode so that you hold your rifle down low like you're on holiday.

Oh, after sprint, I thought you meant during sprint.

It actually gets people killed when they keep jogging those extra steps before getting prone.

Ah, I think you have mis-labelled this problem. I think this is the same problem as the wait-for-end-of-animation problem. Going prone itself is about right IMO.

If you can do it in real life, why should it be restricted? RL is too rambo to simulate it?

I doubt whether anyone in battle situations really do this. I was certainly taught to get into cover first. Sounds like an either/or situation for me - either allow breaking out of reload animation OR allow movement while reloading. I prefer the breaking out option. I seriously doubt whether anyone under fire would continue to load. And if they did their attention would be fixated on the reload, not looking around smile_o.gif

No, cursor doesn't mean aiming point. The cursor that you use to aim the gun bounces around randomly while moving.

I don't understand this one, you say not the aiming point, but the cursor that indicates the aiming point?

In any case, moving seriously disrupts your ability to aim. If it's just that you don't like the wobble as the cursor moves about it sounds like an aesthetic problem, try disabling aimpoint cursors.

Make the soldier aim to the top of the sky and completely below without arms going through his face. Right now it's impossible to shoot someone in a church tower from below.

I can't say I've noticed a problem with extreme stances. If you're aiming up a church tower you're already too close biggrin_o.gif but I use TrackIR, maybe that makes a difference? I can turn my head about to minimise any such activity if I ever see it. And of course in ironsights it's minimised even more.

You know, that's already possible, it's not much of an arc though and of course you can only use it while standing/crouching.

I haven't been able to lean while using binos, but I find that if I turn my body I can get a slightly different angle, sometimes enough to see around some grass or something. But I've never been able to move laterally in any way.

Ah, I think you have mis-labelled this problem. I think this is the same problem as the wait-for-end-of-animation problem. Going prone itself is about right IMO.

I now think he means the 'walking/joggin in safe mode'->'going prone' and he doesnt mean the 'normal running->going prone', though i thought it was fixed already but i may be mistaken.

Quote[/b] ]* Holster pistol and put rifle in back - Don't understand this one.

In ofp when you went into safe mode you would put your gun on your back this has changed now you put it in a sort of patrol walking stance, they probally changed it because of the large amount of mods that changed it to what it is now.

I would like to see the action weapon on back again with a option in the editor to set it for ai etc. and I take it you know what the holster pistol point means cause your english looks good enough wink_o.gif

Hmm, it sounds to me like some people wanted it one way, and now other people want it back the other way biggrin_o.gif

Well, it doesn't make too much difference to me. Although I did like seeing casual patrols in OFP with slung rifles, it's not how it's done in RL.

While I still think that the Arma animations are visually among the best and I do share the gripes with transitions I couldn´t resist to comment that list:

* Faster nade throws, partially agreed

* Faster weapon switching while prone, not agreed

* More responsive prone-to-run, not agreed

* More launcher firing and reloading stances, agreed

* Launcher moves with normal movement and turning speed, not agreed

* Move with binocs, not agreed at all

* Holster pistol and put rifle in back, agreed

* Don't put rifle to safe mode when starting sprint diagonally, partially agreed, while I see no real issue here

* Allow small moves in crouched sidestep, agreed

* Don't change crouch to stand after sprint, agreed

* Faster change to prone, not agreed

* No movement lock during reload, definately not agreed

* No cursor jumping while moving, definately not agreed

* Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top and bottom, if this means limiting it to natural limits, I fully agree

You can cancel a step in ArmA, you can't however cancel full sprint. You just have to redefine your keys better. Remove the double tab evasive actions from your general movement keys, so you can tab left, right and forward, without suddently changing to sprint.

#1 Faster nade throws:

Disagree. Difference of oppinion I guess. I've got no problem with BIS's choice. Ofcause when you press fire, you fire the whole animation: Draws M67, pulls pin and throws. When you toggle to grenade, your model doesn't switch weapons and you don't have to press and hold like in other games.

#2 Faster weapon switching while prone

Disagree, the animation seems fair to me. No instant toggle, the model has to holster the handgun, before he reaches for the rifle.

#3 More responsive prone-to-run

Disagree, I get all the response I need. But experience have taught me to reassign my evasive forward, left and right keys, because it made it impossible to make small movement corrections without suddently switching into a standing sprint.

#4 More launcher firing and reloading stances

Totally agree. I'd like to fire launchers from standing and prone positions too.

#5 Launcher moves with normal movement and turning speed

Disagree, As the launcher is already in a ready to fire, aimed position, I feel the slightly lowered speed it appropriate, keeping in mind you're weilding a possible disaster, if you're fencing around with it. It's also already very difficult for armour to survive one experienced AT gunner.

#6 Move with binocs

I'm almost indifferent, but it's working just like OFP. You should reallyonly use the binoculars when relatively safe. In hiding, cover or far from any threats. I've never had any seriously problems with the binoculars, as I mostly use these with caution. In OFP and ArmA binoculars doesn't work an an extra zoom toggle, which it fine by me. The binoculars are however bugged. When you switch from standing to crouched or back, you change position, change to rifle and then chance to binoculars again.

#7 Holster pistol and put rifle in back

Agree, defenently a feature I miss from OFP. Not a major issue, but I guess it was a trade off between rifle on back and the lowered rifle stance. I'd like to have both choices though.

#8 Stop movement anytime, not after full animation sequence

Disagree, this is a non-issue in walking or runningmode. But it seems fair that you have to slow your bodyweight and gear down after sprinting.

#9 Don't put rifle to safe mode when starting sprint diagonally

Disagree, I don't have this problem. Maybe it's tied to evasive keys, because if you're crouched and press 'turbo' to sprint, you will resume to crouched when you let go of forward+tubo.

#10 Allow small moves in crouched sidestep:

Disagree, non-issue to me. I can already do this, maybe it's also a question of reassigning those evasive left and right keys, so you can crouch left/right, without ending up sprinting.

#11 Don't change crouch to stand after sprint:

Disagree, non-issue to me. Reassign evasive keys?

#12 Faster change to prone

Standing, crouched, walking and running seems appropriate to me. When you press prone, while sprinting, the model slows down to regular running before going prone. The added time seems logical to me. Please no Battlefield instant proning.

#13 No movement lock during reload

Maybe with walking, but not while running. A non-issue to me.

#14 No cursor jumping while moving

Movement affects your accuracy, I've disabled the curser even in regular mode myself. An arcade feature in my oppinion. It's fiar that the hud curser displays the actual accuracy.

#15 Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top

Would be fair for rifles and handguns, but not totally realistic for AA or AT weapons. A simplified sullution, which are annoying a few times.

I think its just too funny to see some guys posting here and saying that the animations/movements/controls are totally fine.

I actually think its hilarious. Why, because some of these guys actually belive these Arma animations are acting like there real life human counter parts would in a real war. They forget it should be a game that is there to be enjoyed. Lol, if i acted like one of these Arma animations did in real war, I would be the first one to go AWOL. Its a game, its there to be enjoyed, get over thinking its real life. A CTF GAME! should consist of fluid gameplay and movments, somthing this game does not do.

But the gravamen of most people's posts is that it isn't

enjoyable if the men's movements are too stylised. "It's just a

game" doesn't justify some of the animation problems.