Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Is Queens Gambit going to have better animations

Quote[/b] ]Goddamned, thats my point, YOU DO STOP THE MOMENT YOU RELEASE THE BUTTON, IF THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN, YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF SOME BUG.
Quote[/b] ]I just timed it with the ingame watch, from sprinting to standing still is just over half a second, from running to standing still is a tad longer but still well within a second. (And sprinting with 26km/hour, then standing still and raising your weapon in just over half a second is very, very fast)

Note that this is the time for the transitions, not for the game to notice that i stopped pressing the button (which is instantly).

And its not my animation.pbo, its just how the game is supposed to work.

you see anything wrong in these statements ?

Like i said the anims dont bother me i like them and can press

the shift button to move in smaller increments .

Quote[/b] ]Goddamned, thats my point, YOU DO STOP THE MOMENT YOU RELEASE THE BUTTON, IF THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN, YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF SOME BUG.
Quote[/b] ]I just timed it with the ingame watch, from sprinting to standing still is just over half a second, from running to standing still is a tad longer but still well within a second. (And sprinting with 26km/hour, then standing still and raising your weapon in just over half a second is very, very fast)

Note that this is the time for the transitions, not for the game to notice that i stopped pressing the button (which is instantly).

And its not my animation.pbo, its just how the game is supposed to work.

you see anything wrong in these statements ?

Like i said the anims dont bother me i like them and can press

the shift button to move in smaller increments  .

Yeah, like 0.5 second isnt instant, ive just tried HL2 and STALKER aswell and in those games you dont stop 'instantly' as well then, it takes slightly shorther then in ArmA but still near half a second. (Imagine stopping instantly, now *that* would be robotic)

Quote[/b] ]Is Queens Gambit going to have better animations

Nobody knows exactly till release....of patch 1.09/1.10 or expansion.

Better to write bugs (with examples) in BTS and into "buglist" from your publisher/official forum and ArmA General/Troubleshooting. Maybe an thread without huge discussion and beef - only bug reporting list - is that possible??

well i admire your tenacity to prove a point ,what more can i say.

i will be off to play at the edge of a building and be sure to double tap ctrl and then shift + w so my animation dosent take me off the edge wink_o.gif.

Well just to add my own opinion, I don't see too much wrong with the animations, sometimes a running man looks a little like that scene in Superman where a stunt man is dangled while "running" alongside a train... but nothing that really effects gameplay too much. Getting a pistol out seems about the right length of time, and the grenade shortfalls are more to do with the aiming procedure than the animation.

In any case, it's only a matter of time before better animations come along, OFP eventually had pretty good animations (comparatively). Personally I'd like to see better "tumbling", where a running man is shot. OFP had an addon that did a pretty good job of that, you could see a man fall from a very long way.

So all the problems Frantic has clearly pointed out, you don't see as a problem. crazy_o.gif

Dude, it's pretty clear that this is an "opinion" thing. Please, allow people to have "opinions".

And no, I don't see all the things Frantic pointed out as problems. Thus I assert my "opinion".

I agree with ofpforum on this one. I've never had any problems with moving and I have played PvP in ArmA. Sure there are some transitions that take longer than others, but most of them seem pretty realistic.

If anyone can record a live action video of themselves sprinting as fast as they can and then stopping and pulling up a rifle within 0.5 seconds I'm sure BIS will be convinced to change it...

The ARMA animations are among the best I've seen in game, the only problem lies in the transitions which, as stated, are an easy fix in a future patch. Just hang in there.

As for aiming straight up and seeing your arm, not really a problem since you shouldn't really be engaging helicopters with your rifle anyway wink_o.gif and I've never had a problem with it in engaging enemy on a roof top. Again you shouldn't be directly under a rooftop the enemy is on in the first place smile_o.gif.

It's definately not a gamebreaker, either are the transitions in MP because everybody is dealing with the same disadvantages. Try not to use the actions that cause the broken transitions.

-You should only sprint cover to cover (meaning the transition wont bother you since you're in cover when you finish your sprint.)

-Definately shouldnt be sprinting then stopping to fire (Thats what run is for.)

-Don't engage choppers with your rifle.

Use those 3 basic little tips and you will barely, if at all, notice the problems mentioned in the previous pages.

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]Use those 3 basic little tips and you will barely, if at all, notice the problems mentioned in the previous pages.

LOL huh.gif The bad transitions gets me killed while running from cover to cover most of the times

Quote[/b] ]Use those 3 basic little tips and you will barely, if at all, notice the problems mentioned in the previous pages.

LOL huh.gif The bad transitions gets me killed while running from cover to cover most of the times

I don't mean to be offensive, but it kind of sounds like you suck at the game. If you take into account the time it takes to do certain things and plan around it, it shouldn't really be an issue.

Guest Ti0n3r

I don't mean to be offensive, but it kind of sounds like you suck at the game. If you take into account the time it takes to do certain things and plan around it, it shouldn't really be an issue.

01. Open the editor.

02. Place a soldier as Player

03. Crouch

04. Sprint 30 meters while crouched

05. Halt

How long did it take from the time you released the key 'till your character stod still? 2 seconds?

That's my point.

01. Open the editor.

02. Place a soldier as Player

03. Crouch

05. Halt

How long did it take from the time you released the key 'till your character stod still? 2 seconds?

That's my point.

hmmm. a little flaw perhaps.

01. put on full combat uniform.

02. carry ak74 or your choice of rifle

03. Crouch

05. Halt

maybe take you 2 seconds to stop? momentum?

it gets me killed in game too but i believe it does try and represent the fact that humans can't stop in a flash like bots in a game.

maybe take you 2 seconds to stop? momentum?

it gets me killed in game too but i believe it does try and represent the fact that humans can't stop in a flash like bots in a game.

And when one gets shot while aiming with an RPG he puts it back before dying to simulate the delay in the nervous system. wink_o.gif

Momentum depending on speed is one thing, waiting for a animation to finish is another. When you are unlucky and are in the wrong point of the animation when you want to stop, you have indeed to wait a noticable time.)

Well in my opinion it is clear that the animations in ArmA are not perfect. Are they good, I refuse to answer.

What I do know is that having precise control of a character is quite difficult. For example when trying to get into a good spot on some ruined building, where parts of the building are missing and I am in the second floor, I try to move only a little bit but often the result is that I either expose myself too much to the enemy, or even fall down from the building. If I try to take one step back, it's too much. I can try to reduce this problem by only tipping the keys for very short time, but that doesn't work well.

I think a solution to this could be to just cut the playing of the animation on the moment when the key is released, and let the character stop right there. When moving slowly I can definitely do that in real life, why not in ArmA. Like when I am on my way taking one step forward, I can't cancel the step and pull my leg back?

Is Queens Gambit going to have better animations. Just so i know if to buy it or not.

It wont. Don't buy it if you already hate ArmA. Queen's Gambint will mostly add new campaigns, new island and new addons to the gameplay you already know. I wouldn't buy QG if I didn't like ArmA already, infact I wouldn't even be wasting my own or other's time by posting here.

Is Queens Gambit going to have better animations. Just so i know if to buy it or not.

It wont. Don't buy it if you already hate ArmA. Queen's Gambint will mostly add new campaigns, new island and new addons to the gameplay you already know. I wouldn't buy QG if I didn't like ArmA already, infact I wouldn't even be wasting my own or other's time by posting here.

Maybe you have actual evidence to show? If not, then your claim is only speculation.

I am not expecting new animations, but I am not either saying there won't be any, as in fact I don't know. How could I know this?

My only major complaint - try holding W, throwing a grenade and then stopping. Nothing more horrifying than frantically mashing keys as you go casually sailing out of cover. Often the way it locks your running legs will mean the grenade goes awry as well, especially if you're trying to do something clever with it like get it just over a wall or through a window/doorway. The alternative is to ensure you're not moving forward when you throw a grenade, making it rather unspontaneous and painfully slow when you have to wait for the animation to finish (you throw the grenade then fiddle around with your rifle a bit before you can even crouch, much less move.

I'm sure there's a reason the arm and leg animations aren't seperate... right?

Here are some demo videos of the animation bugs (size 1-4 MB each)

broken/missing transitions all the way confused_o.gif

crouch_to_fast_forward_transition_3rd_01.avi

stand_to_fast_forward_transition_1st_01.avi

stand_to_fast_forward_transition_3rd_01.avi

strafe_to_fast_forward_transition_1st_01.avi

strafe_to_fast_forward_transition_3rd_01.avi

strafe_to_fast_forward_transition_3rd_02.avi

strafe(crouched)_to_fast_forward(cross)_transition_3rd_01.avi

strafe_to_fast_forward(cross)_transition_3rd_01.avi

compared to a working one:

strafe_to_move_forward(cross)_transition_3rd_01.avi

these are config problems.. so even the community could fix

them. other things discussed here are merely config tweaks as

well. however some things aren't possible to engine limitations.

in my view its up to the community to tell BI about the

importance of gameplay - working animations are one key aspect.

BI has still some dirty homework to do here!

ps: maybe someone likes to upload them to a video portal for

more convenient viewing.

I cannot see how i am wasting other people's time here. I never asked anyone to add a comment here who didn't want to, or did i ask them to even read my thread, and since this is a forum that is open to discussion, I belive its the best place to post and get other people's opinion (Wich it has). I do still play the game but i just don't like the transitions between animations.

The reason i decided to post this is as follows. I was in a 20 player CTF the other night when somone mentioned the animations and transitions. After 5 minutes more, nearly all but a few had stopped playing and were discussing the animations, and how much better the Ofp control was. And for those who want proof of this, I suggest you logon and go see how many people are playing a CTF. Then maybe you can explain to me the low numbers?

Dudester, I think the point he's trying to make is that yes, everyone knows the animations aren't perfect. I don't think anyone is trying to outright deny they couldn't be improved, but sitting here and moping is hardly the best way to go about getting it changed. Petition BI to change it by all means, a lot of ppl already have. But it sounds more like you're trying to dissuade people from playing entirely...

On a diff subject, I just noticed something REALLY wierd with the anims - when turning horizontally in 3rd person view the legs turn with the rifle in little steps. Go into 1st person and look down at you legs and then turn, and they dont move at all.

Wierd.

The animations in my opinions are ok. It's just having them stiched together and transitions that arn't right.

Remember : Bohemia Interactive own there own Motion Capture company, and have the Motion Capture building just next to their HQ.

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]Maybe you have actual evidence to show? If not, then your claim is only speculation.

QG comes with version 1.08 of the game.

I suggest you logon and go see how many people are playing a CTF. Then maybe you can explain to me the low numbers?

Because it's boring? Because it's the same tiny box like map? Because those tiny maps are crammed with every single editor object under the sun? Because 9 times out of 10 everyone is issued a G36?

Maybe if you 'spiced' up the CTF maps they would become popular again. It's not BIS fault that CTF ain't played as much as in OFP. I mean the CTF maps in OFP are basically the same in ArmA.

And before you start mouthing off. No I'm not a co-op player. I dislike Evolution. And I'm not a fanboy, It's been a while since I last played ArmA.

Of caurse it’s BIS fault, who else made those anims and why the discussion about bug or not, its obviously a bug like everyone who played other FPS game can confirm. Such anims you meight find only in RPG Games like Oblivion, even there they are more responsive, even doh it doesn’t really matter in a RPG Game.

The question about this has much more importance than it seems, because if they don’t change it, there isn’t gonna be a future for PvP gameplay like dm & ctf, which were the most frequented gamemod’s back in OFP, BIS is gonna loose about 70% of their future customer, which is gonna affect everyone of you.